What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Good to see @Trickedem and @ianrauk on the Oasts & Coasts 300 yesterday, albeit briefly.

I did not finish - turned off the route at Minster to head homewards. I’d already decided I’d had enough before I got to Hythe and from Folkestone onwards, I was getting slower and slower and faced the prospect of not finishing until gone 11pm then another three hours riding home in the cold and dark and wind. Having arrived late to the start, I’d been riding alone all day and was feeling pretty demoralised already (despite a cracking ride across Romney Marsh with a stonking tailwind), so I was low on the kind of mental fortitude that would have required. Though I reckon my legs would have been up to it despite my general lack of fitness.

With the 60km ride to the start, I still managed just short of the 300km, so not a complete waste of a day - I just won’t get the points for it. But since I’m no longer able to do PBP, that’s not such an issue.

Two weeks to sort myself out and get in a better frame of mind for the Invicta 400, then @Ian H’s Back to the Smoke 400 a couple of weeks after that... both rides have the advantage of not having routes that pass close to home, so there’ll be less impetus to pack!

Last edited:

8mph

Veteran
Old Roads 300 on 11th May, starting at Honiton.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Good to see @Trickedem and @ianrauk on the Oasts & Coasts 300 yesterday, albeit briefly.

I did not finish - turned off the route at Minster to head homewards. I’d already decided I’d had enough before I got to Hythe and from Folkestone onwards, I was getting slower and slower and faced the prospect of not finishing until gone 11pm then another three hours riding home in the cold and dark and wind. Having arrived late to the start, I’d been riding alone all day and was feeling pretty demoralised already (despite a cracking ride across Romney Marsh with a stonking tailwind), so I was low on the kind of mental fortitude that would have required. Though I reckon my legs would have been up to it despite my general lack of fitness.

With the 60km ride to the start, I still managed just short of the 300km, so not a complete waste of a day - I just won’t get the points for it. But since I’m no longer able to do PBP, that’s not such an issue.

Two weeks to sort myself out and get in a better frame of mind for the Invicta 400, then @Ian H’s Back to the Smoke 400 a couple of weeks after that... both rides have the advantage of not having routes that pass close to home, so there’ll be less impetus to pack!

I must admit, you did look pretty bushed at Hythe. Good luck for the Invicta, that looks a great route.
That headwind along the northern coast was an absolute bind, throw in the crappy surface of the sea path and it it make for pleasant riding.
But.. as always, this 300 is a great ride. Roll on next year.

In the meantime I have just signed up to Pat's Hop Garden 200k from the same start/finish at Meopham.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Chevy Chase on 4th May. It's a bit lumpy for my liking but it goes across some of the closed roads on the Otterburn firing range so thought it a good ride to get to somewhere I normally wouldn't be able to go.

DNF. Strong winds and lots of climbing did for me at Elsdon where there was a choice of completing the route by riding the firing range roads or a tailwind assisted gallop to the finish. I chose the latter. Given how absolutely drained I feel today it was the right decision.

Next up is the Great North Road 400 on May 18th. It's flat.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Dauntsey Dawdle 400 in a couple of weeks.

fossala

Guru
That seemed like hard work. Too cold, then too hot by turns. Got home just after 2230. Entries still trickling in.

It only occurred to me later, but you weren't on a bright blue bike, were you? If so I apologise for riding past and not registering.
Nope, light purple fixed Bob Jackson. It was a lovely ride. Set off around 9pm and rode through the night.

Top Bottom