What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
@Cranky Knee Girl My new jacket worked very well over the weekend. It is designed to be very breathable so the outer is nor completely windproof. So on a long descent you will find yourself cooling. This works brilliantly at removing any sweat and moisture build up from the climbing. So you stay dry. I wore the jacket directly over my summer cycling jersey, nothing more. At night if I had a long descent followed by flat then a bit of out the saddle soon restored warmth and it retained it. It shrugged off the night time fog but no rain so can't comment on that yet. I will be using on my 600 in two weeks. If I find myself cooling too much at night I may put my gilet over the top to provide full wind proofing for extra warmth. But since I carry a gilet for day time it's nothing extra to carry. So recommended. It's the Montane Ember but there are alternate versions from different manufacturers offering more or less warmth or a hood etc. Depending on preferences.

I'll give another update after my 600. I bought a sale sample if the price seems steep, so half price. But price is somewhat cheap compared to Goretex.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
We passed you lot in the Chilterns in the early hours. We were the ones going the opposite way on the Dauntsey Dawdle 400. We were near the end of our event heading to Windsor and onwards to London.

That will explain why you lot seemed to be in ‘horse bolting for the stable’ mode. It was great passing you lot. Added to the realisation we weren’t alone in our maddened state.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
That will explain why you lot seemed to be in ‘horse bolting for the stable’ mode. It was great passing you lot. Added to the realisation we weren’t alone in our maddened state.

Because it was foggy in places we thought at first you were just some of our riders going the wrong way. After the fifth or six passing of riders it became clear you must be on another audax. We were between 40-50km from the finish depending at what point we overlapped each other. Cruely at the time I thought we were nearer to the end as the brevet card showed the min distance not route distance remaining So at least now I've checked I realise I wasn't riding as slowly at the end as I was thinking. :-)

Last edited:

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Completed the GNR 400 at the weekend; my first 400k ride. At 2 o'clock in the morning with 20 km to go I was viewing audax as a form of self harm. Now I'm thinking about a 600 but it will have to be on my terms, so a DIY.

It will be:
  • flat
  • in calm, dry weather
  • when the daylight hours are long
  • slow (will take full advantage of the time limit)
  • cheap
Thinking about a route from Darlington to Crowland and back with Goole being at approximately 400km so that I can take advantage of relatives or friends for a bag drop and a doss.

Just need to plan a route now and keep fit while waiting for the right conditions.

Ajax Bay

Guru
All Points North in 3 weeks' time :ohmy:
Best of luck tomorrow and hope the route's a good un.
Event home page: http://www.allpointsnorth.cc/
Tracker (with map): http://event.trackcourse.com/view/all-points-north-2019/en
David is number 49.
"All Points North is an unsupported ride with ten control points scattered across the north of England in a roughly circular distribution but with a couple of wildcards thrown in the centre.
Riders will set off from near Sheffield at 8pm Friday, 24th May visiting the ten control points in whichever order they choose [and return to Sheffield].
This is a route I prepared last year:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29913960?beta=false
(which I've kept private(ish) till now).

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
What's happened, David?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
What's happened, David?

I had to bail at Howarth due to stomach problems: about 2 hours in I couldn't keep any food down. By Brimham Rocks I'd lost an hour but then lost another 2 hours in the next 40km on my schedule and was down to 5-6mph.

Trying to sleep and stopping for something stronger to drink didn't help so I took the option to turn for home.

Thanks for your support - it looks like this wasn't to be.

U

User169

Rondje Texel 400 about to start. Conditions not looking too bad.

U

User169

That must be crap! How did that happen?

No one told me that Dutch brevets can start on a Friday - I assumed that they all start on Saturdays. Nevermind - had a nice 100km ride home and there's a couple of 600s coming up.

Top Bottom