What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Successfully executed my DIY 200 today. Strong winds which became headwinds once I started turning west and south for home. Only 45 mins stopped, pleased with that.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
(No) Breakfast in Bampton on 10 April - with option to ECE it up to 200.
Similarly.

footloose crow

Über Member
Breakfast in Bampton - which did not involve any breakfast - ran today. A 100k calendar Audax at last. Cold start but the sun came out later. Very pleasant to talk to someone other than the cat and a lovely route especially the second half along rolling quiet lanes with far reaching views. The Coop in Wiveliscombe expressed some irritation with the long line of cyclists clutching a chocolate bar and asking for a receipt. There has to be a better way to do this, perhaps the e-Brevet as an option for all events?

IMG_6547.jpeg

Bampton cafe open for takeaway cake only.

Solocle

Über Member
Crazy idea, but it'd tempting to DIY this one for the Spring Bank Holiday.
1618319205018.png

Start at Exeter, controls at Axminster (45 km), Lincoln (385 km), Humber Bridge (443 km), finish at York.

The route is pretty simple - Fosse Way, then Ermine St.

Departing at 6am on the Saturday would mean hitting the A303 section at before 10am, Bath at around lunchtime. The A429 around Cirencester is 160 km in, so around 4pm. Leicester is the 300 km mark, so before 3am on Sunday. It's then an early morning dash up the A46 to the 2nd control, Lincoln, 9am on Sunday. Should be a decently quiet DC dash. The A15, before minor roads to the Humber bridge, around lunchtime, then finishing in York at 5pm.

I'm sure there's a more scenic route, but charging across the country in the wheel ruts of roman chariots is kind of my idea of fun. And I think the slow audax timings are pretty ideal traffic wise. :becool:

13 rider

Guru
View attachment 583744
Start at Exeter, controls at Axminster (45 km), Lincoln (385 km), Humber Bridge (443 km), finish at York.

Departing at 6am on the Saturday would mean hitting the A303 section at before 10am, Bath at around lunchtime. The A429 around Cirencester is 160 km in, so around 4pm. Leicester is the 300 km mark, so before 3am on Sunday. It's then an early morning dash up the A46 to the 2nd control, Lincoln, 9am on Sunday. Should be a decently quiet DC dash. The A15, before minor roads to the Humber bridge, around lunchtime, then finishing in York at 5pm.

I'm sure there's a more scenic route, but charging across the country in the wheel ruts of roman chariots is kind of my idea of fun. And I think the slow audax timings are pretty ideal traffic wise. :becool:
The A46 from Leicester is now a dual carriage way I would not cycle on . You can almost run along it on the old A46 I would check your route . There are much better route Leicester to Lincoln

Solocle

Über Member
The A46 from Leicester is now a dual carriage way I would not cycle on . You can almost run along it on the old A46 I would check your route . There are much better route Leicester to Lincoln
While I saw that, and do use sections, e.g. the section by Bingham is highly inconvenient when heading northbound. Through Newark, easy.
1618331371958.png

Indeed, the goal is to retrace the original alignment as much as is feasible. Leicester to Cotgrave has no old alignment, there's the bit around Brough that's again Southbound only.

If I'm on time (and being ahead of time is unlikely to be an issue unless I have a monstrous tailwind, in which case, stop for dinner)... I'll be hitting it between 3 and 9 am on a Sunday morning. I might even be able to get a bit of a move on, making that end time an hour or two earlier, and that lush smooth trunk road tarmac is sure to be a treat after 300 km of riding. Unless the A46 is significantly worse than other trunk roads, I'm unlikely to have an issue with it.

1618331664143.png

8am on Sunday morning, A35.

Oddly enough that route is extremely similar to my summer tour in planning. Except my route is a bit more wiggly, and I plan to take 5 days :laugh:

(I'll be accompanying a friend along part of his LeJoG and our route is dictated by the locations of friends' houses).
I definitely am considering doing it as more of a tour, but the Fosse Way is of particular personal importance as both my parents lived on it (at different points, then the same point) for a long time. :smooch:Hence an unwillingness to deviate, but instead to time the worst sections of it as not to be busy.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
View attachment 583744

Humber bridge closed to cyclists at the moment.

Solocle

Über Member
That quantity of straight, same compass direction would drive me bonkers if there wasn't a "point" to it. You sound quite motivated so should be fine👍 (and York is quite a nice place to finish - maybe recycle it for an Arrow next year??)
I quite like cycling to get somewhere, so a one way epic should be right up my street, and arrow straight means I'm getting the quickest route :bicycle:

Indeed, my first century was a relatively straight line, albeit on windy back roads.
1618338936153.png

Humber bridge closed to cyclists at the moment.
I am aware of that, but if it's still closed by the Spring Bank Holiday, I'll view it as even more of a pisstake than it already is, and just use the carriageway. Play the out of the loop southerner who's ridden 250 miles card if necessary. :laugh: It is still a 40 mile detour to keep to the Roman route while avoiding the bridge, after all.

Top Bottom