Wheel upgrade Giant defy 0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tojo

Über Member
Why do you need to upgrade? What are you trying to achieve? What's your budget?

Have you improved the tyres, probably get more benefit for a fraction of the price

Because Giant base level wheels are crap components and poorly built, even a pair of shimano RS010's for under a £100 are much better......Enough said...:cuppa:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Because Giant base level wheels are crap components and poorly built, even a pair of shimano RS010's for under a £100 are much better......Enough said...:cuppa:
Never personally had an issue over 2000 miles (until I sold the bike). That was crap roads, rider of 15+ stone, plus pannier rack and bag :cuppa:

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
As opposed to your arrogant and dismissive persona, which was accentuated by you not reading my posts properly. yeah, great. I speak as I find, mate. Sorry about that.
Well, all I can do is apologise to you if that's the way I have come across, which it appears I have. I genuinely didn't mean it and as I have said, I am sure that if we met in real life, that we would get along well - but that's forums for you, sometimes its easy to take people the wrong way.

Apologies again for coming across as arrogant and dismissive and I hope we can now draw a line under this.

Well, all I can do is apologise to you if that's the way I have come across, which it appears I have. I genuinely didn't mean it and as I have said, I am sure that if we met in real life, that we would get along well - but that's forums for you, sometimes its easy to take people the wrong way.

Apologies again for coming across as arrogant and dismissive and I hope we can now draw a line under this.
Well said!

Tojo

Über Member
Never personally had an issue over 2000 miles (until I sold the bike). That was crap roads, rider of 15+ stone, plus pannier rack and bag :cuppa:[/QUOT

I'm surprised they held out considering you're claimed mass, as it is over the recommended load for the rider plus the mass of the bike itself....:cuppa:

Tojo

Über Member
Just goes to show maybe the components aren't as crap and the wheels as poorly built as you say :smile:

Giant ST-2 rims on that bike fwiw

Well, I can only comment on what I have came across an all the latest giant low end machines that have came into me for service or repair have had wheel problems as well as what they were brought in for, which included - untrue rims, common. and hub issues which include----dry bearings, loose cones and the worst I had in was pieces of plastic and metal in amongst the hub bearings. Not just in Defy but further up the range( not towards the top end , I will admit as they are good , there's a big gap in quality, in what I have found)....Have you came across this.....?
I speak as I find and I have had at least 15 incidents of this in the last 2years.....:cuppa:

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe they've got worse in the last 2 years. This was a 2012 Avail 2 :smile:

RegG

Über Member
My 2015 Defy 0 and my partners Liv Avail both had Giant PR2 wheels as standard. I did replace mine with some Vittoria Session wheels but she still has the PR2's and they seem to be fine, although a little heavy compared to my Vittoria's.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Maybe the giant pr2 wheels are ok for pottering around the lanes at 10mph.......but as far as performance wheels go, i doubt that they are up there with the best and i very much doubt theres that many pros if any riding them on tour de france standard race bikes.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Maybe the giant pr2 wheels are ok for pottering around the lanes at 10mph.......but as far as performance wheels go, i doubt that they are up there with the best and i very much doubt theres that many pros if any riding them on tour de france standard race bikes.

Bit unfair. I wouldn't say they're performance wheels per se, they're standard base level road bike wheels. Clearly they'll never be used by pros in the TdF, but neither are they only good for pottering at 10mph. I've been riding them for 6 months, a little more than 10mph occasionally, and sometimes in a riding style that exceeds pottering in quite a disgraceful way - (I can't help it, I'm inspired by Brumotti). I can't say I have any problems with them, they turn fine, they corner fine. Would I like a sexier looking or a lighter pair of wheels with big logos like the pros use? Yes, absolutely, because as I often say, I'm a bit wanky like that. But that's not to say that PR-2s are bad.

Top Bottom