When will you quit ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Things that make me a little sad:
Hubert rode a bicycle from the age of eight until his 90th birthday, when his wife Mavys, fearing for his health and safety, forced him to stop. His stamina and endurance in cycling earned Opperman the status of one of the greatest Australian sportsmen.
[...]
Opperman continued cycling until he was 90. He lived in a retirement village which, as the British journalist Alan Gayfer pointed out in 1993, had "No Cycling" signs.[43] Opperman died on an exercise bicycle [6 weeks before his 92 birthday].
(I think when you've been married more than 65 years, you should listen to what makes your spouse happy - but I wish he'd had those extra 2 years on the road)

I'm 68 and only really enjoy my cycling when I am pushing so hard that it starts to hurt, somewhat mad but that is how I have always played my physical sports that way and boy oh boy does it keep the heart pumping like a sledge hammer and the lungs carrying on being able to breath deep !! I have a target average speed at the back of my mind and that is always the bloody carrot dangling in front of me which keeps me pushing so hard.

Only today at the end of a 25 mile ride when my whole body was glowing, I got chatting to the plasterer who is doing our kitchen and it turns out that his Dad is a sprightly 82 and still going out on his road bike every single day, so I have a very long time to go before I give up.

I thought I would give up cycling at 40 - then 50 ....Im still pedalling at 54 years of age ! - probably enjoying it more than ever....

So when do you plan to call it a day ?
My mate had his 61st on Sunday and set a KOM today; another mate can do a sub 20 mins 10miles tt and he's in his late 50s; another can do a sub 25mins 10 and he's nearly 75 and the list goes on and on. A bloke beat the 105 years old set an hour track record last month too. These folk are my inspiration and I hope never to have to stop cycling.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I thought I would give up cycling at 40 - then 50 ....Im still pedalling at 54 years of age ! - probably enjoying it more than ever....

I have no plans to quit. At 63 I’m fitter, faster and a better climber than I’ve ever been. Retirement is great!! Obviously the improvements won’t go on forever but I keep trying.

Tomorrow I’m going out with two friends, one is 65 the other 71. The 71 year old could smash us both if he chose to.

I’m thinking by my late 70s ebikes will be a much lighter weight than they are today.........

Old Man

Im 61ish still not doing too bad.
Go out on club bike run on a Tuesday evening 30ish miles
Saturday 50 miles.
I think you will know when the time hss come to stop cycling.
Hoping for a few more years yet

Will Spin

Über Member
I recently celebrated my 64th birthday. I go out with a local club at least once a week cycle on my own on the other days, I'm aiming for 6,000 miles this year. My parents 89 and 90 are still cycling, although only a few miles each week.

robjh

Legendary Member

I don't understand why anyone would plan ahead to give up cycling. I may one day find myself incapacitated for whatever reason, and would then stop cycling because I had to - but that's not a plan.

You obviously thought differently in the past. Why did you think you would give it up one day?

Milzy

Guru
Got to ask.
Why?
(In certain noxious bits of this place such a simple honest question would be screamed down as a thread derail :smile: )
But yes, am intrigued.
The traffic will be just too insane to cope with. I’d be open to MTB off road still possibly.

Top Bottom