When you see another cyclist, do you try and catch up to him or her?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixmile

Veteran
I was bringing the kids home on the tandem (one riding stoker, one on rear rack cushion) this afternoon and seen two roadies up ahead. I'd only 1/2 mile before home so went flat out to catch them and overtook up a hill. Only then did I see the grey hairs poking out under their helmets but still, not often 2 kids and their da on a wee wheeled tandem overtake 2 road bikes ^_^

Tebb1t

I once over took an old roadie (this was the mid 80s), I carried on at my cruising pace. The next thing was he accelerated past me at the next road sign.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Given that a blink is ~0.1 s, then to go from 15 -> 30 mph gives an acceleration of
(30-15)*1600/360 ~ 67 m/s^2
or about 7g.

You and your bike have mass ~80 kg, so that requires a force of ~5,000 N (zero air and rolling resistance) and a rough average power output of 50,000 W. That's about two orders of magnitude better than most pro cyclists, maybe Pogacar league?

Impressed both at your power output as well as your ability not to blackout.

Force divided by time is not power. Back of the class for you.

Force divided by time is not power. Back of the class for you.

Average speed of ~20 mph so ~10 m/s
power = force * average velocity
So multiplying by 10, not dividing by 0.1 :-).

Dodgy marking from teach

(obviously there are a fair few simplifications/approximations here, but the numbers should be about right)

Last edited:

windy7777

when i was younger i pretty much was always in the lead. now i will get passed by a 110 year old

Seeing a rider ahead of me does give me the encouragement to catch them. I used to feel slight awkwardness when catching another cyclist - as if I shouldn’t be capable of doing such a thing - but I now pass with a cheery greeting, and if they’re up for it, I will engage in a brief chat. Then ride off.

Average speed of ~20 mph so ~10 m/s
power = force * average velocity
So multiplying by 10, not dividing by 0.1 :-).

Dodgy marking from teach

(obviously there are a fair few simplifications/approximations here, but the numbers should be about right)
IMO it would have been far better to just calculate initial and final Kinetic Energy (e.g. in Joules). Then power is roughly that change, divided by the time interval (one "blink"). as Power is just energy/time e.g. Joules-per-second

But I reckon you'd get to about the same answer, so no marking down from me :P

IMO it would have been far better to just calculate initial and final Kinetic Energy (e.g. in Joules). Then power is roughly that change, divided by the time interval (one "blink"). as Power is just energy/time e.g. Joules-per-second

But I reckon you'd get to about the same answer, so no marking down from me :P

Sure, I wanted to get the acceleration etc as wel, but, as you say, there are often several ways to solve a problem. Hopefully you get to the same ans.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It was so cold this morning that there was only one other rider to catch...and he wasn't really trying!

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I've found I have got some of my best times up noteworthy hills when I have someone a few hundred yards in front that I can either keep up with or even catch a little.

Particularly those little buggers on BMXs.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Yes. Its the law.

Unlike most cyclists, I work to remain situationally aware so i know when one is behind me, even when they're a distance off. I know they'll be trying to haul me in so I let them knacker themselves a bit closing the distance, then I start to match them for a spell, then when I sense they are weakening I put the hammer down and clear off.

My other hobby is scalping ebike riders. Keep it above 15.5MPH and their disadvantage disappears and the bike becomes a liability. Indeed, anyone who reckons they roam the streets on a legal ebike looking for cyclists to scalp is either targeting geriatrics or talking out their arriss.
:okay::okay:i go for the old stick in the spokes method

Top Bottom