When you see another cyclist, do you try and catch up to him or her?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BurningLegs

Veteran
[QUOTE="Drago, post: 6136316, member: 22751] Indeed, anyone who reckons they roam the streets on a legal ebike looking for cyclists to scalp is either targeting geriatrics or talking out their arriss.
[/QUOTE]
Unless they’re prowling a local climb, of course!

When I used to commute I took great pleasure in trying to stick it to the e-bikes.

Now that I ride for pleasure I don’t see many e-bikes. In fact I can only remember one recently who was very apologetic as he cruised past me 2/3 up a local climb 🙂

The serious replies are that way ——————>

They're going too fast for me....

It’s well known that if you do a wheelie you halve the rolling resistance and so accelerate from 15 mph to 30 mph in the blink of an eye...
Given that a blink is ~0.1 s, then to go from 15 -> 30 mph gives an acceleration of
(30-15)*1600/360 ~ 67 m/s^2
or about 7g.

You and your bike have mass ~80 kg, so that requires a force of ~5,000 N (zero air and rolling resistance) and a rough average power output of 50,000 W. That's about two orders of magnitude better than most pro cyclists, maybe Pogacar league?

Impressed both at your power output as well as your ability not to blackout.

Last edited:
I sometimes I do try to match their pace depending on how fast they pass me . I suspect now that a lot of them are lying in wait behind hedges waiting for the unsuspecting cyclist to pass by before leaping out and passing them with a sudden burst of speed . Once safely out of sight they will quickly nip behind a hedge again and collapse exhausted on the ground . They don't fool me . :whistle:

screenman

Legendary Member
As a rider of an ebike through neccessity, i really respect someones fitness at being able to do so.

Trouble is sometimes when this 64 year old throws his leg over a bike he thinks he is 20 again. I never see it as a race just a target to fix on to increase my workout.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
My son does. If there is someone ahead of him the gentle ride suddenly turns into a race, legs going like crazy and audible panting as he gulps as much air as possible into his lungs. Doesn't matter who it is or how old they are, if he can see them ahead, it turns into a race.

He's 7.5 yrs old. Hopefully he will grow out of it.

classic33

Leg End Member
Given that a blink is ~0.1 s, then to go from 15 -> 30 mph gives an acceleration of
(30-15)*1600/360 ~ 67 m/s^2
or about 7g.

You and your bike have mass ~80 kg, so that requires a force of ~5,000 N (zero air and rolling resistance) and a rough average power output of 50,000 W. That's about two orders of magnitude better than most pro cyclists, maybe Pogacar league?

Impressed both at your power output as well as your ability not to blackout.
A blink is 1/3 of a second, not 1/10.

Top Bottom