When you see another cyclist, do you try and catch up to him or her?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Scalping roadies on 7kg 12 speed bikes whilst on my 3 speed Brompton passing them uphill chatting with my mate on the butchers bike. It’s the best.
Personally I prefer to scalp them while riding a Raleigh Chopper, with a lass on the back giving me a r*********d, while I roll a fag and have a game of gin rummy with a passing motorist. Those days are the best.

I have generally found that if I am faster than someone I will overtake them and vice-versa. Very strange.

If people are so convinced of their superior abilities then they should demonstrate it in club races rather than BS-ing on cycling forums.

I will confess to using clearly faster riders as pacers for a while to try and test myself over a distance, but won't attempt to overtake them just keep about 30/40 metres behind until I am knackered.

davidphilips

Veteran
Have been staying in zones mostly 2 or 4 when solo, so if i am cycling do not get into a race,if passed by another cyclist now, unless they slow down dont even try to pass.
If i catch and pass another cyclist its because they are going slower than i am going or want to go.

gbb

Legendary Member
I certainly used to. It's not about getting one over the cyclist in front, it's about pushing myself...a tool to gain fitness, no more.

No, I never make any attempt to catch up with other cyclist and i don't think it's related to having 4 large pannier bags full of firewood. It's because I can't be arsed. I am afraid the reason why a lot of people do it is because it makes them feel manly or I'm fitter than you ner de ner ner!
I had a young bloke pass me once I said hello but he didn't reply as in why should I lower myself to talk to you, your not in the same league as me. He stopped at a corner to wait for two old and clearly very unfit blokes to catch up. One smirked as he went past and then looked at my panniers and said "they look heavy" I replied "yeah full of firewood". He clearly didn't feel so good about overtaking me.

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
Mostly not, but sometimes yes. But I always keep a respectable distance (so no drafting) and I only do it because I need training and perhaps to message my ego on the odd occasion that I'm able to catch up to someone.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I must admit to getting pleasure overtaking electric bikes, they sure can take some catching though when you see them a mile down the road and into a headwind.
That make for a fantastic workout on my daily commute. Especially on the main hill I take on the way home.
However it does seem that the majority of e bikes are now chipped leaving me blowing out of my arse with no hope of keeping up.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
That make for a fantastic workout on my daily commute. Especially on the main hill I take on the way home.
However it does seem that the majority of e bikes are now chipped leaving me blowing out of my arse with no hope of keeping up.
Yesterday, I got passed by an illegal one on my way west along the A259. Wasn't pedalling at all, and despite my pace of 18-22 mph on that stretch, thanks to monster tailwind, he dropped me at a rate of knots.

This morning, heard a rattle and roar, young lad passes us on some carbon fibre contraption, leaves us standing, pulls away, then TING! His chain breaks and he has a near do unclipping in time, as we pass we ask if he’s OK, (subtext: should have got a Rohloff...) First time for long enough we’ve passed anyone.

Top Bottom