When you see another cyclist, do you try and catch up to him or her?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
Used to, especially if she had a shapely rear end. These days she'd probably just see me as a dirty old man so I just let them pass.

Dan77

Not generally, no. I tend to try to stick to my best pace regardless. If I do catch them then they're not particularly fast so there isn't really a sense of achievement.

I was, however, overtaken by a guy on an ebike today and then managed to keep up with him all the way along the following tow path until he turned off a couple of miles further down. Quite enjoyed that.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D was out in her car today and got scalped by 2 cyclists! She'd slowed down on a country road while waiting for a safe spot to overyake a cyclist, and while patiently holding position 2 more roadies zipped by.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Yes. Its the law.

Unlike most cyclists, I work to remain situationally aware so i know when one is behind me, even when they're a distance off. I know they'll be trying to haul me in so I let them knacker themselves a bit closing the distance, then I start to match them for a spell, then when I sense they are weakening I put the hammer down and clear off.
You really shouldn't drive your Volvo like that- you'll get a reputation, unless you already own and wear the trilby and driving gloves.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Sadly yes... no exceptions.

Unless it's a full Ghostbusters crew.

I am sure a top class pro. blinker with a good coach and hours of training could get sub 0.15 s, but since the UCI* outlawed streamlined eyelashes the 0.12 s record will probably stand for all time.
*Union Cligner International.
Especially with some marginal gains by controlling the turbulent air flow over them.
Ahh feck, I'm turning into Boardman.

a.twiddler

Veteran
The last thing I passed was a urine sample.
Me too. An advantage of this is that I am not much troubled by wheelsuckers, they would have to slow down too much. When I get passed by other cyclists it's a matter of degree. It ranges to from a gentle trundle past with a greeting, to a whirr of gears and a flurry of legs leaving me buffeted by their slipstream.

Top Bottom