Which CC member do you think you'd like to meet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lozz360

Veteran
Shouldn’t the title to the thread be, “Which CC member would you like to meet?”? The “...do you think...” bit is unnecessary and should be omitted for clarity.

Actually, that level of pedantry is probably the reason why no-one wants to meet me. :sad:

C R

Guru
I couldn't...!

I don't drink booze these days, but when I still did I once called in at the Pack Horse Inn*** on Widdop Rd on the tops between Colne and Hebden Bridge. I only had a couple of pints but still almost smashed myself up on the steep twisty descent on the way home. I went tanking down into the righthand bend shown below and almost didn't make it...

View attachment 619204

:eek:

*** Oh - that pub is a casualty of Covid-19! :sad:
I don't really drink alcohol either, but I'm sure most pubs can rustle up an orange juice and lemonade.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Shouldn’t the title to the thread be, “Which CC member would you like to meet?”? The “...do you think...” bit is unnecessary and should be omitted for clarity.

Actually, that level of pedantry is probably the reason why no-one wants to meet me. :sad:

I would like to meet you. Just as long as there's no chance of going into a supermarket with their "5 items or less" queues. Boy, that one makes my blood boil.

Honorary Yorkshireman!

I think it is fine for pubs to make a profit out of soft drinks but not several times the profit they make from booze.
some pubs used to do lime juice cordial very cheap - don't know if they still do.
You can of course walk in most spoons and serve yourself with free water.

yello

Interesting question. You'd think the extra words would give rise to a different meaning, a different question. Maybe they do? Maybe everybody's been answering the wrong question? Or maybe they've not?? I don't know. It's a mess, it is.

Maybe everyone who has posted would like to post again saying whether their responses where the people they'd like to meet OR the people they think they'd like to meet.

There could be an important difference

I think I'd like to meet fellow pedants to discuss this further. The again, on second thoughts, maybe I wouldn't.

classic33

Leg End Member
Interesting question. You'd think the extra words would give rise to a different meaning, a different question. Maybe they do? Maybe everybody's been answering the wrong question? Or maybe they've not?? I don't know. It's a mess, it is.

Maybe everyone who has posted would like to post again saying whether their responses where the people they'd like to meet OR the people they think they'd like to meet.

I think I'd like to meet fellow pedants to discuss this further. The again, on second thoughts, maybe I wouldn't.
You're certain on that bit?
No nagging doubts, other questions.

Lozz360

Veteran

But if you think you would like to meet someone, that is the same as wanting to meet someone. The two questions are the same, which was my original point. Therefore, the “they think” bit is unnecessary.

yello

Do you think you'd like a cup of coffee?
Yes please, I would.
I'm not making it. I just wanted to know whether you would like one.

Top Bottom