Which Nutters cycled in then......?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
fossyant said:
Still on studs...far to icy....even ice at 5.30pm as I turned onto the estate...roads glistening.
When do you reckon it'll be safe to venture out pal? Hoping monday now,looks like it's warming up at weekend.
I'll be on the hybrid with 28mm M+

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Main roads are OK, where gritted. Side roads are either ice, or black ice if cleared of the slush.

I'm not touching the Fixed until at least next week. Very slow going on 30 PSI ice studs.....got scalped tonight by another MTB (looked like a roadie riding it...honest) - I was going downhill free wheeling - at about 22mph - the speed limit for the tyres...squirming a bit.... and not likely to stop in a hurry at that pressure....

Monday is looking good, although Metcheck seems to be throwing a wobbly...........

potsy

Rambler
fossyant said:
Main roads are OK, where gritted. Side roads are either ice, or black ice if cleared of the slush.

I'm not touching the Fixed until at least next week. Very slow going on 30 PSI ice studs.....got scalped tonight by another MTB (looked like a roadie riding it...honest) - I was going downhill free wheeling - at about 22mph - the speed limit for the tyres...squirming a bit.... and not likely to stop in a hurry at that pressure....

Monday is looking good, although Metcheck seems to be throwing a wobbly...........
Yeah noticed that,bbc and metcheck seem to have totally different ideas of the coming week.I'm hoping the beeb is right for once.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
2 guys who use the same route as me fell off wednesday .

One of them bruised his hip , shoulder and head, i am waiting till monday to see what it is like .......................

At last, back to my full commute (mtb) mixture of on and off road. Still a little bit dicey in the shaded areas, but overall no problems. Nice to be riding along the cliff tops overlooking a very forbodding North Sea on a crisp morning:smile::sad:
Had intended to do my road bike route, but a dusting of snow last night put pay to that. Its just nice to be back on two wheels.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

A colleague is still snowed in - near Chapel-en-le-Frith - wrecked his car trying to follow the tracks of 4x4's....i.e. bottomed the car....

So no rides in the hills at the moment..... certainly nothing off main A roads.

Norm

fossyant said:
A colleague is still snowed in - near Chapel-en-le-Frith - wrecked his car trying to follow the tracks of 4x4's....i.e. bottomed the car....
OMFG, Fossy, you know what saying that will do, don't you! :evil:

Plax

Guru
GrasB said:
I went to 23c slicks beginning of this week, after 3 of spiked tyres it's a real revelation to be on a sharp, light & aggressive bike again... I'd forgotten what real acceleration is ;) :evil:

I've decided that tomorrow I'm swapping my MTB with 2.1" knobblies on for my hybrid with 700x32c tyres. I'm fed up of having an average speed of 10.39 mph.
I've sussed out the routes to avoid. The cycle path along Padarn Lake for one. It has been nice with fresh snow & even compacted snow with the odd icey patch. This evening however it was slush and I felt the bike go a few times. I refused to get off and push though!
All the main roads are now clear so I'm going to chance it! At least if I fall off this time I'll wreck my hybrid and not my tourer.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Norm said:
OMFG, Fossy, you know what saying that will do, don't you! :becool:

Yeh..4x4 vs MTB...no chance..... leave the standard car at home.... and if you have a 'real' 4x4 too, as that will be stuck with cars..............

PS I told him he needed an MTB with studs...he's a roadie, with too many bikes/frames, but no MTB...... a few TT frames as well......;)

Even an old MTB is awesome......... he didn't get it when MTB's came out......many moons ago...........I did........... :evil:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Raining today..... Side roads still iced up, so still on the MTB. Should be a mucky and wet ride home.....only got a rear splash guard on the MTB....ergh !

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
fossyant said:
Raining today..... Side roads still iced up, so still on the MTB. Should be a mucky and wet ride home.....only got a rear splash guard on the MTB....ergh !
Got soaked this morning and i have no guards on the MTB :smile: Thankfully the Buff stopped all the black salty crap hitting most of my face

potsy

Rambler
skudupnorth said:
Got soaked this morning and i have no guards on the MTB :hello: Thankfully the Buff stopped all the black salty crap hitting most of my face
Gonna be very wet out there for next few days with all the ice melting,thank fook for full mudguards and over-shoes.
Did a recce of my cycle commute today in the car and there are 1 or 2 nasty looking holes that weren't there last month,will have to be in the middle of the road to avoid some of em.

Top Bottom