Why Do People With Black Bikes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sackville d

Veteran
quick release on the front is on the wrong side :wacko:
Don`t we start sentences with capital letters on this forum or were you so keen to troll that you forgot such details?

Anyway this thread is about black (especially matt) bikes never being cleaned. Now go put on the second SLF album and relive the disappointment.

quick release on the front is on the wrong side :wacko:

There is no wrong side!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
That will be a waste of time, black never looks better than the day it left the showroom unfortunately.

Yes I was cleaning my matt black bike the other day and, other than it being sans dirt, it looks exactly the same as it did before, no look of it being clean, no shine, just a black bike.

To offer some balance my white genesis flyer which I use for some commuting and locking up when out and about in London, has never been washed since I bought in new in 2008, so us dirty bar stewards come from all backgrounds, black and white^_^ . Actually mine still looks surprisingly white, must be all the British rain. Admittedly the bottom bracket area is a bit caked and its undoubtedly heavier, but I'm hoping its helping achieve an almost un-nickable status. Its grimy-ness has become a badge of honour now and I'm hoping to go a decade with no washing (not me, the bike!) and then maybe I'll see what lies beneath, could be a great frame protector all that c**p^_^

My old Raleigh Max Ogre was like that - I rarely cleaned it, so when people said things like

'Wow, that's a well used bike!'

I took it as a badge of honour. Unfortunately, it eventually rusted up and seized, so I never made that mistake twice! :blush:

Because I don't have a black bike! (yet) ^_^

You want one?? I can sell you one, it might be a bit big, but hey, you'll 'grow into it!' :giggle:

All my bikes are currently cleaned, serviced, and immaculate, even the black ones. I look forward to being allowed to get them dirty.

I am currently cleaning them all, including my Mum's.

my black bike is matt black carbon, and for some reason only needs a quick hose to clean the crap off

Yes and it looks exactly the same as it did before, doesn't it? :whistle:

I washed mine down with Turtle Wax 'Wash And Wax' car stuff as a bit of an experiment (I am using it for all the other bikes too), complete with an assuringly large amount of foam...... And it just looks exactly the same as it did before (except it is clean), I might as well not have bothered!

Oh and the carbon fibre didn't melt in the soap and water either, just to inform you all.

Well, at least I've shamed a few of you into washing the things.

I was going to wash it anyway, but yes, you might have sped the process up a little.....

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
Mine are waxed with Muc Off Wax. Great stuff in fairness.

Giant looks better than when I got it. Bianchi has a rather nice sheen to it too. Both bikes laugh in the face of dirt as it tries to cling!

bpsmith

Veteran
image.jpg
I normally use Muck Off, but have decided to experiment a little.
This isn't the Muc-Off cleaning fluid but the Muc-Off Wax in a pot:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
And how much would that set you back?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
T'was a Christmas gift. Highly recommended though!

This is a bit like the first day back at school after Christmas where you learn what the cool kids got, whilst all you got was a bucket, sponge and bottle of dog shampoo*! :laugh:

* - Ok, NOT part of the experiments. That said, it could be some sort of hitherto unknown 'wonder cleaner', although I doubt it.

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
What matters is how much it costs in the long run to replace components that wear out quicker when covered in gunk, sh*t and grit..........:headshake:

No it is just I saw something similar in H*lfords, but only from another manufacturer, and for vehicles in general. It cost £26, so I was curious, but as he got it as a present, we will never know (unless I actually look it up if I can be bothered before I go to bed here).

Top Bottom