Why was beginning road cycling so difficult for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Northamger Abbey

I began training in road cycling today and it was quite difficult for me. The coaches gave me a suitable road bicycle for my height but my hands just couldn't comfortably fit around the handles and breaks. It's like my hands were too small to do that. I got scared I got scared I would loose control going downhill as I could not confidently break the bike.

Does road cycling favour people who are taller and lean. They seemed to be the best at the club. Am I too short and not skinny enough to become a good road cyclist? I feel disheartened, I've been on this for ages. There were so many people there who looked like professionals and rode like them, they're so intimidating to be around and I feel pathetic not being able to get this under my control. I don't like being in a group with younger children. Will my genetics limit me from becoming as good as I hope to be?

MattHB

Proud Daddy
It takes time to get used to a road bike. For me (tall) it took ages for my core muscles to strengthen up so I was able to take the weight off my wrists. It probably took best part of 6 months and 2000 miles.

Give it time, your not going to feel totally comfortable in one session if you've not done it before.

As well as those comments above, it could also be that the top tube is too long for you so either a smaller frame or a shorter stem on the current bike would help. Adjusting to road cycling takes time but I hope you enjoy it. Your perceived lack of height or riding with kids is not a barrier to progress.

All the best :thumbsup:

Kies

It took me around 3 months to get used to it and another 3 to feel at one with the machine ....... You need more time

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You don't have to be a road cyclist.

Plenty of cycling fun to be had on a hybrid, or a mountain bike, or a folder, or a....

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Think about it, how long did it take before you could walk
give it time, all the best and keep at it :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you are finding it difficult to operate the brakes you may be able to buy shims like these to force the levers nearer to the bars. If there are not any official shims available, then you might be able to improvise something similar to do the same job.

OP
OP
Northamger Abbey

Northamger Abbey

Thank you for all your comments very kind and reassuring.

boydj

Legendary Member
Sounds like you have the build of a 'grimpeur'. Head for the hills, once you've mastered the art of braking, and enjoy your natural advantages.

Is it your bike? There's a lot you can do to improve braking, from fitting shims to changing the bars to fitting cross levers. I've changed bars and fitted shims on my bike, it's not an uncommon problem to have difficulty braking.

Onthedrops

Veteran
I've had my Triban 3 since early November and up to the present time I have been out 3 times! All 3 rides were short and breathless affairs. The last time I went out I found it much easier going just by using the gears better.
A total noobie to cycling, it's a learning curve where one has to learn to ride the bike properly. I had a mountain bike several years ago, used to ride it often and it felt easy. Thought it would be even easier with the T3 but forgot to take into account the several years that had passed since my MTB days. MY fitness is mega poor.

It was very daunting taking to the roads on an out and out road bike. I wobbled about on my first ride. By the 3rd, I'd learnt quite a bit, both by physical riding experience and reading (on the internet)
I'm now desperate to get out and ride my T3. Held back by the weather. Can't wait for better weather to get out there and continue my learning.

For the record. I'm a short ar*e, carrying too much weight and a belly sponsored by several breweries!

Top Bottom