Wiggle Lifeline Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AyJay

Über Member
I have just fitted these........................

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-prime-armour-road-tyre/

Very happy with them. I completed a 40 mile ride today and found them a lot smoother and comfortable than my previous tyres (700 - 25) these are 700 - 28. Still riding at 100 psi. I didn't notice any drop in speed but I would class myself as a leisure cyclist these days and therefore not really too bothered about this. Price is good as well.^_^

OP
OP
AyJay

AyJay

Über Member
600 miles down the line and things are looking good. No cuts or damage to these. So much better than the Gatorskins I have tried in the past.
I use mainly small country roads which are not well maintained other than loose chippings being used for resurfacing! Well pleased with this purchase.
:bicycle: :wahhey::wahhey:

Sloth

I appreciate I'm a little late to this party but I'm considering either Lifeline Essential Commuter or Schwarbe Marathon Supremes.
BIG price difference of course but being a newby and planning on country road/cycle path riding, on a MTB but with 26" road tyres Im interested to know if I'd notice the difference that the huge price difference should bring?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
They're not in the same class of tyres.

Supremes are more of a fast touring/Audaxing type of tyre and best suited to a road bike that'll cover big miles. They'll work fine on an MTB but probably offer little discernible improvement on the Lifeline tyres.

Country roads and cycle paths tend to be littered with detritus, so a tougher commuter type tyre might be better.

Some options to consider are Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard or Vittoria Randonneur. They're both cheaper than the Supremes and tougher.

Sloth

Hi and thanks.
I will look up your suggestions, do they have decent speed? I want to get away from the drag of MTB tyres and don't want that MTB sluggish ride if I can help it.
I'll be buying a road bike early next year (if I can get one that is!) so just want to make my MTB faster and more suitable for road use so as not to put me off before next year?
Thus my wanting to0 put decent, fast and not too tready tyres on.
Still want decent grip in the wet though but not at the expense of making it slow and heavy.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Marathon Greenguards are not a heavily treaded tyre. They are a general purpose tyre aimed at tourists and utility cyclists. They are not draggy at all, they roll easily. However they are considerably heavier than flimsy road tyres. That's the price you pay for getting to your destination reliably with very little chance of having to fix a puncture on the way.
I use them on a variety of bikes; a 3 speed roadster, a drop bar road bike, hybrids, and an MTB. They work well on all if you are not obsessed with bike weight.

Marathon Greenguards are not a heavily treaded tyre. They are a general purpose tyre aimed at tourists and utility cyclists. They are not draggy at all, they roll easily. However they are considerably heavier than flimsy road tyres. That's the price you pay for getting to your destination reliably with very little chance of having to fix a puncture on the way.
I use them on a variety of bikes; a 3 speed roadster, a drop bar road bike, hybrids, and an MTB. They work well on all if you are not obsessed with bike weight.
Thanks.
Must admit to a problem with remembering the various types of marathon. Can anyone point me at a simple list, with simple indication of properties? I am assuming that this won't be on the company website - modern marketeers are obsessed with making every product sound wonderful rather than listing clear differences in plain language.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks.
Must admit to a problem with remembering the various types of marathon. Can anyone point me at a simple list, with simple indication of properties? I am assuming that this won't be on the company website - modern marketeers are obsessed with making every product sound wonderful rather than listing clear differences in plain language.

Strange to relate, Schwalbe do rate their tyres for grip, puncture and rolling resistance, and durability.

An example is in this link, which is also relevant to @Sloth because Road Cruisers are a good budget choice and still available in 26".

Click on the 'Active line wired tire' tab for sizing and other info.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/road-cruiser

Strange to relate, Schwalbe do rate their tyres for grip, puncture and rolling resistance, and durability.

An example is in this link, which is also relevant to @Sloth because Road Cruisers are a good budget choice and still available in 26".

Click on the 'Active line wired tire' tab for sizing and other info.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/road-cruiser
ah, thanks, but what I was looking for was a simple table which gives me a simple overview of how all the variously named things relate to each other. Amazing how complicated manufacturess can make their lines of tyres - Conti and Vittoria are similar offenders.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I appreciate I'm a little late to this party but I'm considering either Lifeline Essential Commuter or Schwarbe Marathon Supremes.
BIG price difference of course but being a newby and planning on country road/cycle path riding, on a MTB but with 26" road tyres Im interested to know if I'd notice the difference that the huge price difference should bring?
I'd go with the lifelines, as that one has the kelvar band in it so puncture protection is decent. I ran lifeline armour (also has kelvar band) on my london commuter bike (700x28mm) for a goodly while and they were a really decent tyre, exceptional for the price. You will notice a big difference over knobbly MTB tyres.

Marathons are good for grip and puncture resistance, but not exactly a spritely ride, nor great value.

I have 'M GG' on my CGR - with the reflective sidewalls

Previously it was on Durano DD, but forays into the woods/riverbanks/bridleways was playing havoc with the sidewalls & cutting them up

The 'M GG' can cope with a reasonable amount of mud, as could the Durano, the main difference is improved lateral grip
This was the first section of my riverbank/woodland route on Wed 14th Oct
'You' can find enough traction to surprise a few MTBers (if you keep speed sensible)

Agreed, when I first fitted them they felt sluggish, but a higher pressure cured that
Mindst you, when I first got the CGR, it felt slow ( on Durano '28') after previously riding a 'blue'/audax/7005 Ribble on '23' Lugano

The 'M GG' have been fitted since April, & I had my first puncture last week, but it was a thorn, I couldn't see it - just feel it, presumably, it crept between the threads?
Weight?
Yes, they are heavier than the Durano, but it's not a light bike anyway! (not with 8 lights, etc...)

Cornering??
Now I've got used to them, they're almost as good as the Duranos, I can lean it over quite well (in dry...) at a roundabout on the way home, at the bottom of a shallow hill :okay:
Not got to scraping a pedal, through it yet though, as I did a few times on Duranos ^_^

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Can anyone point me at a simple list, with simple indication of properties? I am assuming that this won't be on the company website

As @Pale Rider says, Schwalbe do provide meaningful comparisons between their tyres on their website if you look for them. For example, both Marathon Greenguard and Delta Cruiser+ have the same level 5 puncture protection. However, the Marathon has a lower rolling resistance (barely noticeable in reality) and a different rubber compound with a longer service life (only time will tell on that), so it boils down to upfront cost vs cost per mile of service life.
Oddly I found a pair of 700c wheels & tyres yesterday, one with a very good condition DC+ on it and the other with a puncture protected Kenda commuter tyre of some sort. Needless to say they were salvaged, although one of the wheels is a disc one so I only want the tyre off it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Is this in a handy table though skipdiver? A bit of a fag to hop between pages scribbling notes.

Handy look-up table, no. Easily accessed information, yes. Pre-internet, you would have had to work a lot harder to get the same information than checking a few web pages and scribbling down the details on the back of an old envelope.
If we compare Marathon Greenguard to Delta Cruiser+, my take away from this is that:-
a) they are both equally puncture-resistant.
b) Marathons roll slightly easier.
c) Marathons will be marginally cheaper per mile if ridden to worn out.
d) DC+ may be better for a low-mileage bike or one at high risk of theft, the tyres being cheaper overall if you don't manage to wear them out.

The outcome is I have a slight preference for Marathon overall, and will choose them if I can get them at a good price. If I needed a new tyre ASAP and couldn't get a discount, then I'd be happy with DC+ instead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom