winter lighting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point

ushills

Veteran
Dynamo hub and either the B&M 60 lux or the phillips 80 lux front lights. Perfect for travelling on roads at speed so would be great for tow paths.

BSRU

A Human Being
Dinotte make superb lights, bought my first 400R over two years ago, used most commute days(I have another 400R on the other commuter bike) and still going strong.

pkeenan

Über Member
I use the Schmidt Edelux front light. I think it's probably one of the finest lights you could ever want. It gives better visibility of your coming path and such than anything I've ever come across. I don't know if there's a battery version (it'd run them down very quick), mine is powered by my dynamo, which in all honesty is probably a good thing to get too!

Col5632

Guru
I was about to start a thread asking more or less the same question, i bought a cheap verison of the magicshine last year and its beginning to drive me nuts and doesnt seem to be holding a charge anymore.

I had never heard of a dynamo until the father-in-law mentioned it the other day, where do i get one and whats the pros and cons?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I was about to start a thread asking more or less the same question, i bought a cheap verison of the magicshine last year and its beginning to drive me nuts and doesnt seem to be holding a charge anymore.

I had never heard of a dynamo until the father-in-law mentioned it the other day, where do i get one and whats the pros and cons?
The MSlights have to be stored correctly or they donot hold their charge,my MS with the little charge indicator has lost .1 of a volt of its max charge in err (finger count time) will be 3 rd winter i have had it.

pkeenan

Über Member
Depends what kind of riding you're doing.
The main thing about a dynamo hub is that it gives a slight rolling resistence - how much varies from one make and model to another. So if you're out on your racing bike, you'll probably notice it much more than on a tourer or a hybrid.
You'd notice it less than you would a change to heavier tyres...
That's the main con, but here's a break down (in my opinion):

PROS:
  • Not at the mercy of batteries and/or battery packs, so you wont be caught out in the middle of a ride in the dark.
  • You are essentially creating the energy charge yourself, so one can argue it's more economical/eco-friendly.
  • They're well designed pieces of kit, so don't (or shouldn't) succumb to weathering issues, provided you look after it as you would any component on a bike.
  • Can power front and back light at same time.
  • Doesn't necessarily always have to be connected to a light, can also be used to charge items on a tour.
CONS:
  • Slight possibility of rolling resistence, as mentioned above.
  • Depending on the brands involved, some dynamos give light relative to your speed, so there might be a dimming period when doing up hill, for example.
  • Fairly expensive to get a good one.
  • Involves having to be built into the wheel (which unless you have good wheel building skills, involves more cost).
There are probably many more - so apologies if I've not covered something.

In general, it's variable from brand to brand etc... For example, my Schmidt SON Delux does not dim when I go slower. It has three states: FULL: when I'm cycling, STANDBY: dimmed when I'm temporarily stationary, and OFF.

ushills

Veteran
The rolling resistance of a hub dynamo should not really be too much of an issue.

Yes you can feel it when spinning the wheel but it is no noticeable when riding, some report suggested it is the same as a 1 in 100 incline, ie negligible.

The german sites are cheapest for lights and dynamos as they have to have them by law, I would suggest rosebikes.

The main benefit for me is just being able to get on my bike and go, not worry about the charge state of my lights or how long I may be out. The beam patterns also put more light on the road due to their cut-off and in my experience are comparable to a single car or motorbike light.

pkeenan

Über Member
The main benefit for me is just being able to get on my bike and go, not worry about the charge state of my lights or how long I may be out. The beam patterns also put more light on the road due to their cut-off and in my experience are comparable to a single car or motorbike light.

Would have to agree 100% with that.

Col5632

Guru
The MSlights have to be stored correctly or they donot hold their charge,my MS with the little charge indicator has lost .1 of a volt of its max charge in err (finger count time) will be 3 rd winter i have had it.

I have stored it either in the house when not using it or on the bike when in use, wouldnt say its been mistreated and the mounting system with the O ring is just useless :cursing: Only want 1 or two lights which mount higher than the brake cables and give decent enough light to see where im going :ohmy:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
As usual on these Lighting threads, here's the guy to read and this is his website.

He knows his stuff and a few CC folk have good reports about him :thumbsup: - myself included ! :biggrin:

If I could justify them, I'd be sorely tempted by these as was another CCer (you can search for him ^_^ ), who is now a happy all-seeing bunny !

One advantage of the German lights, with or without the hub dynamo, is that they are required by law to have a cut-off at the top of the light to avoid blinding approaching traffic - ie. it becomes like a 'dipped beam'. Many of the UK/US/China lights don't have this, which makes them excellent for off-road riding, when a high, all-round beam is good - but less good on the road, when they can be too bright for on-coming traffic.

Col5632

Guru
As usual on these Lighting threads, here's the guy to read and this is his website.

He knows his stuff and a few CC folk have good reports about him :thumbsup: - myself included ! :biggrin:

If I could justify them, I'd be sorely tempted by these as was another CCer (you can search for him ^_^ ), who is now a happy all-seeing bunny !

One advantage of the German lights, with or without the hub dynamo, is that they are required by law to have a cut-off at the top of the light to avoid blinding approaching traffic - ie. it becomes like a 'dipped beam'. Many of the UK/US/China lights don't have this, which makes them excellent for off-road riding, when a high, all-round beam is good - but less good on the road, when they can be too bright for on-coming traffic.

Seems like a good website, so many lights to choose from, i need something which clears the brake cables when mounted to the handlebars as they get in the way of my current cheap magicshine light (T6 i think its called)

Top Bottom