YIKES! Specialized Recall - fingers crossed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
But they haven't really done anything. They have said they will replace the part, but not even a time scale yet.

Do you really think Vauxhall could say to thousands of Corsa owners "Your car is unsafe, please stop driving it. We can't say when the fix will available, but in the mean time please get the ****in' bus. Oh yeah, sorry, there are no buses over Christmas, please cancel your plans. Or use you other car. You surely don't just have one?"
Whilst it is shocking that the rules seem to be biased in favour of car owners over bike owners car manufacturers generally keep very quiet about issues requiring recall until such time as recall arrangements are in place. They don't offer full refunds because a car needs a recall. Car v bike is not a good comparison.

The OPs contract is with whichever retailer sold the bike, surely, not with the manufacturer. And consequential losses, inconvenience and emotional distress won't be covered.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Whilst it is shocking that the rules seem to be biased in favour of car owners over bike owners car manufacturers generally keep very quiet about issues requiring recall until such time as recall arrangements are in place. They don't offer full refunds because a car needs a recall. Car v bike is not a good comparison.

The OPs contract is with whichever retailer sold the bike, surely, not with the manufacturer. And consequential losses, inconvenience and emotional distress won't be covered.
Agreed.

And the manufacturer has to be given a reasonable amount of time to produce the replacement part, they can't be expected to snap their fingers and pull them out of thin air. Cycle makers generally do well on recall work, if you want an example of bad think Whirlpool tumble driers.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
*UPDATE*

SO... I have been checking the website for updates and it appears they are now dispatching new forks to retailers, I registered for mine around 4 weeks ago so I am really happy to see finally the end is in sight! I have missed riding it so much! I have been doing extra training on my kilo heavier Diverge Cyclocross and my times and average MPH is increasing, so I really hope I will be flying when I get the Allez back and some different tyres!

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
UPDATE: 15/02/2018

Thank you for your patience as we've worked to address the safety concern relating to Model Year 2018 Allez (Base), Allez Sport, and Allez Elite forks.

We're happy to report that we've received approval for our fork recall and replacement program, and we've been working hard to source replacement forks to get you back riding as quickly as possible. Starting today, we will begin delivery of forks to your retailer, who will install the new fork on your bike at no cost to you.

As we've stated before, availability of forks will initially be limited, but we expect more forks to arrive each week. We anticipate having sufficient quantities to serve all riders globally by the end of March at the latest.

Your retailer will be contacting you via email to provide further detail on the recall and the replacement program. When a fork is available to match your bike, your retailer will contact you to schedule the replacement at your convenience.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Yeah they are sending the box, but yeah I just need lots of bubble wrap!! x

vickster

Legendary Member
Is it just me or does anyone not think it's out of order of the retailer to expect the bike to be returned?Surely one of the points of buying a brand with a big controlled dealer network is that the recalls can be handled locally. Frankly I'd be refusing to go through the not inconsiderable hassle of boxing and waiting for it to be collected. I would expect the forks to be sent to me and the repair costs covered by Specialized

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The issue with that is that I don't have a local specialized dealer....I don't think?! And the work has to be done by them! It's annoying
Call specialized and ask where the closest person to carry out the recall is . I took my " The handle bars fall off " recall to a local Evans where they sent the parts and a £100 voucher to spend .

Top Bottom