Yoof doing wheelies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A couple of times when I've been out and about on my big, heavy cargo bike, I've had lads ask me if I can do a wheelie on it. I always say yes, but haven't got time at the moment. :whistle:

Locally, it's a big problem in the schools, in that as soon as they're out the school gates, they're showing off and pulling wheelies in the road, right in the middle of heavy traffic.

Custom24

Über Member
One morning starting my commute in my village I saw a bike ahead of me. Of course I endeavoured to catch up and overtake. Unusually, I did, only to realise he was doing a wheelie.

A few mornings later, same deal. This time a different guy was riding a unicycle.

They're about the only cyclists I can overtake, it seems.

subaqua

What’s the point
It seems to be a growing trend amongst London's Yoof to do wheelies. I don't mean the odd kid, but loads of them. And blimey they are good at it. Even the 12yo next door neighbour kid is good at it. I used to wheelie when I was younger but no where near as good or as far as the kids do today.

On this mornings commute I saw a kid ahead doing a most spectacular wheelie, at some speed too. When I overtook I did say to him that it was awesome. I think he was a little taken aback at my positive comment but gave me a 'Cheers Bruv!' in return.

Yeah they do it in the roads, a little bit dangerous and probably irritates people and car drivers. But so what, bunch of fuddy duddies. Long may it continue.

Is it a London thing.. or elsewhere too?

I followed one . Nearly a mile . Well impressed . Was Plod . no .

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Not just a London thing @ianrauk, I've noticed this too near my home in Herts. The kids near me hang out in the Sainsburys car park doing extremely impressive, long wheelies (and yet look so nonchalant and bored while they do them). The old people look on and tut in disgust. I'm middle aged, so I tut a little bit, but secretly admire the sheer skillz.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Mandem got bare skilz

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Seen the odd one around here, including one a couple of weeks ago who I followed by car, for an impressive distance. - Mainly because he was wheelying between primary and secondary like a sine wave. Cycling through Salford, they are seen regularly

Tom B

Guru
One morning starting my commute in my village I saw a bike ahead of me. Of course I endeavoured to catch up and overtake. Unusually, I did, only to realise he was doing a wheelie.

A few mornings later, same deal. This time a different guy was riding a unicycle.

They're about the only cyclists I can overtake, it seems.

There is a lad around here that unicycle commutes. Ive seen him a few times. It looks bloody hard work.

The local rag did a piece on him after he became a talking point http://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/142...s_forward_after_commuters_ask__who_are_you__/

I have crap upper body strength and poor balance and have never been able to wheelie. However I am often requested to pull a wheelie by the local yoof.

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
Having spent my childhood on BMX's back in the 80's I mastered the wheelie. I can still manage one on a road bike now, nothing one handed like Sagan, or as long. However I can still do it. Frowned upon by others when group riding, but so much fun. I feel like a kid again.

Tis all balance un back brake tha knows

Ciar

Veteran
definately not a London thing, but like you have i have seen plenty of kids doing them around my neck of the woods :smile:

i myself used to as a kid, can just about do one now, but i stick to trying them out in forests when on appropriate bike!

Top Bottom