Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
Well. there is a surprise! The forecast for this morning was minus two or thereabouts, a look out of the window seemed to say the minus was misplaced. Anyroad, the bird bath was not frozen over so a ride looked like a good idea.

Once outside and on the bike it still felt cold, what did I expect in January? Off I rode in the general direction of Holbeck in the hope of warming up a bit and deciding where to go. Cross the river on Crown Point Bridge and start the three ‘R’s on the way to the clock at Oakwood. ( Regent Street, Roseville Road and Roundhay Road altogether have six ‘R’s if I want to wear my pedant’s hat. One day I will. ) Turn left at the clock ‘cos I wimped out on Boot Hill on the fixed, and ride past the posh gates of Roundhay Park, and Canal Gardens, and doubtless other fripperies that are not well attended in winter. Mind, I bet Tropical World is warmer than I was. Along Street Lane, which never seems to be anything but gently uphill, and turn right onto Harrogate Road eventually. All of this is rather suburban, and there is a mile or two more of the same until the school is passed. Green fields in a winter landscape are great, so when I reached the left turn to Eccup Reservoir I turned that way. I saw another cyclist riding along this road, travelling about the same speed as I was. As I started riding across the dam wall he did a ‘U’ turn, and I sort of wondered why. A wave and a ‘Good morning’ and we pedalled our own directions. For me, the road does a couple of vertical squiggles as it passes the gates to the waterworks. And then crosses a cattle grid. Slow uphill on the fixed, I am not going to ride across a cattle grid. No thank you. So I pushed the bike across. Then ride again, up a bit then flat all the way to Eccup itself.

That last climb did slow me down. And at the junction the rider I had seen earlier caught me up. He had been doing intervals up the hill from the reservoir. Much more dedicated than me, cannot think of anything more tedious, but whatever it takes. A bit of a chat and he whizzed off into the distance. I trundled along towards Adel, up the rise and then there he was again, catching me after a detour around towards the top of Black Hill. More natter about rides and stuff until we eventually parted when I turned right to reach Otley Road. Cross the Ring Road on the way to Headingley, half expecting someone to catch up again, but no. Only the traffic for company all the way to Kirkstall and the canal towpath, not a deal different to my previous ride. An earlier set of joggers and a couple of other cyclists, a couple of boats actually moving and one dog running free. I took a bit more care with that one. Swans and duck and crested grebe in the water, most entertaining. Followed by the ride under the railway by the station and the jaunt through Hunslet to see my front door, and a couple of neighbours chatting by there. 22 miles and the smile anticipated the warmth I was about to reach.

The map,

04012019.jpg

iandg

Legendary Member
Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I had to go to the Drs surgery chemist today to pick up a prescription, so I took my Cube. Cold and grey all the way, down through Knapwell and Elsworth, then over to Papworth and the Drs.

It was closed!

On through the village, past the ROYAL Papworth hospital, that is soon to move to Addenbrooks. I wonder what (housing development) will become of it...?

Then I had something to shout about as I cycled through the village of Yelling.

Over the A428 at Croxton, and then the pleasant surprise of the worst 20yds of Road in all of Cambridgeshire being smoothly resurfaced! Miracles never cease.
This road was about to offer up an even bigger thrill....

Firstly, a buzzard sat in the top of a bramble thicket. Another buzzard flew by. Then just on down to my right a lapwing took off and circled around me, calling like a dog chewing a squeaky toy.
To my left as I went on down there was no hedge. There were 200+ lapwing in the field, some flitting up when they saw me. I thought there were golden plover there too, but they sat tight.
Another buzzard flew through from my right.
100yds in front on my right from the roadside ditch 2 snipe flew out like bullets.
Then on my left, maybe 20 yds from me 20/30 golden plover took off in unison, calling as they went. Their undersides flushed pale yellow.
At the junction to the Abbotsley road 2 buzzards flew low and lazily over the hedge right in front of me. That was a lovely mile and a half!

Through the Gransdens and along by the maggot farm. I was at circuit training last night, and the physio the night before, it turns out my left IT band is causing my knee problems... it was at this point my left hip began to give out. It all became very sore and painful. I got off my bike and watered the hedge. That seemed to help (me, not the hedge)

Back on and a steady ride through Bourn and Toft.
Between Toft and home I cycled along with a hare for a couple of hundred yards, it had been flushed by shooters across the fields.

5F37F8B1-0A40-4E21-9AF1-A8BAAB53F8A0.jpeg

I can see a very feint smudge to the right of the hedge, it’s a hare, honest!

Toward home my hip was getting sore again, it was nice to get off the bike.

30 chilly, feathery miles!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2056785900

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Saturday Crew gathered. Steve E, Rich B and me in the Green. Margaret PR, John G and Pete M at the Pot. The gang had left time for things to warm up a bit but the forecast wasn't quite right and it warmed earlier than predicted. The late start meant a short one so with a mere 14 miles on my clock we stopped for coffee at The Mythe. Well I couldn't justify a cake at 14 miles, others were less bothered. Pete had only done 7 but cake he had!

Now we took the White Rabbit run back with John scooting up the main road instead. Margaret and Pete were delivered back at Upton while the three remainers went by Brotheridge Green. Rich wanted the Hanley Swan route back so I joined him while Steve took the 3 counties route. Nice wee outing today. 32 smiles

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A ride with the boys, A little nippy but no frost, dry roads 38 mile loop, the roads where not to busy no incidents an enjoyable ride, ending back at our local, My wife went out with the girls a shorter ride but arrived at the pub the same time we did. We are having a good start to the year, out again Sunday morning.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2057161815#kudos

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Out into the grey on the Giant this morning.
As others have commented it was a bit chilly, even with 4 layers on the top half, winter gloves, thermal bib tights, two pairs of socks and shoe covers.:cold:

Coal Road, then Skeltons Lane then Sandhills down into Thorner, with the long descent not helping warm me up at all.
A bit of heat was generated on the climb up onto Milner Lane and my grumbling legs eventually got me to Rigton Green, then up Bramham Lane and over Jewitt Lane onto Thorner Road for the run to Bramham, enlivened by the smaller Wothersome Dip.
Most of the run to Bramham is gently downwards, so once in the village I decided to climb Town Hill to get the blood pumping. It did.
Out on Toulston Lane and eventually into North Yorkshire and on to Garnett Lane, over the A659 and then the A64, before dropping down into Stutton.
Time for a bit of climbing and the hill up the A162 certainly fits the bill.
I was really feeling the cold now, so rather than taking the left towards Ulleskelf (a mile of mostly gently down), I carried on into Towton.
Through the village and right onto the B1217 and eventually past the battlefield monument on a gently undulating road, before peeling off left and dropping into Saxton, where I stopped for a couple of pics:
IMG_20190105_102721371_BURST001.jpg
IMG_20190105_102846587_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Briefly back on the bike and out of the village to Linda's Bench where I stopped for sustenance and another pic:

IMG_20190105_103841272.jpg

From there it's on to the drop down onto Copley Lane, which takes you to Lotherton Gates and then with one eye on the mileage, the long way round to Aberford.
The familiar groove of cattle Lane followed, before the climb into and through Barwick and on towards Scholes.
Needing miles, I carried on through the village (having forgotten just how much of Main Street is steadily upwards in the direction).
A brief pause at the A64 and then a huge and unexpected gap in traffic so I was off spinting for the 100 yards or so to the turning onto Thorner Lane.
it was only when I got out of the saddle to give it some that I discovered my shoe hadn't actually clipped in as I'd set off...oops!
No harm done and back off the race track.
Along Skeltons Lane and back onto Coal Road, then local roads down towards home with a final loop around the block to push me over the line.

31.35 miles (50.45km) in 2h 35m at an average of just 12.1 mph with 1,604 ft climbed and an average temperature of just 1.8°C

Enjoyed that, although I really felt the cold today - Garmin shows that for a lot of the ride the temperature was 0°C and it really felt like it. Not sure what more I can do to wrap up, so I guess I'll just have to look forward to spring. ^_^
Dry throughout, and thankfully no ice but some of the roads are absolutely filthy so the bike needed a good wash when I got in.
Quite a few cyclists out there today and it's another point for the Half Century challenge too.

And to end, the map:
05012019.JPG

Mr Celine

Discordian
Woke up at eight, checked weather forecast which said it was clear and sunny all day with max temp 2C, westerly wind, ie very cold and icy. F*** that for a game of soldiers, went back to sleep for an hour. Got up, opened the curtains to see no sign of any blue sky, no evidence of any wind and the thermometer showing 5C.

So out I went for my first ride of 2019, a clockwise loop with some variations, including this lane near Midlem. This view looks south with the border on the distant horizon. Over to the right is either a very small hole in the clouds or an alien death ray destroying Hawick.

tree border.jpg

Further on I stopped for a photo on the Woll descent. @User9609 took a photo from here the other day looking east, this one looks north.

woll.jpg

Today's photos aren't very clear as I was experimenting with a clip on wide angle lens which I got for Christmas 2017 and promptly lost, only rediscovering it when putting away this years presents!
The map -

upload_2019-1-5_18-36-5.png

34.5 miles @ 13.0 mph, 2580 feet upness.

**copied from 50km a month chatzone***

Another 2 points in the bag this morning with a very cold ride with the Saga CC crew over to the Bear cafe in Uttoxeter and back.

Familiar roads to start but then ventured into some newer ones which were very pleasant indeed until we hit the JCB site at Rocester then it was as lumpy as hell, with a bit of tit-for-tat with a bin lorry thrown in too! We began to splinter as a group a bit at this stage as one of the lads (the route planner!) was tiring and not firing on all cylinders. One dropped back to be his domestique, two others had a leg stretch and shot off and I was Billy no mates in the middle!

We regrouped at Uttoxeter itself and after 3/4 hr, 2 coffees and a bacon sarnie we headed back along familiar and very flat roads. Giving Will and Martin a five minute head start, we set off and it took maybe 8 or 9 miles to run them down but we eventually did just that and then I dropped into domestique duties for the remainder of the ride while the others powered on.

56 miles dead, 3:45ish and very cold but a very enjoyable and well planned ride where the work was done in the first half, I’d give it 5/5 stars if it weren’t for crossing the busy A50!
https://www.strava.com/activities/2056976251/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1546692465

https://www.relive.cc/view/2056976251

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A wee ride with some Glasgow Belles on Bikes for me today, only 27 miles, lots of fun.
The weather still holds here, no ice, no rain, no wind, just a wee matter of riding through a river :whistle:
IMG_20190105_104219119.jpg

One of the Belles taking on the challenge with enthusiasm. I got wet socks :rolleyes:
Along leafy cycle paths, taking on some East End landmarks:
IMG_20190105_105125673.jpg
IMG_20190105_105136096.jpg
Passing through the former 2014 Commonwealth Games athletes' village, now a housing estate.
IMG_20190105_105108716.jpg

Some dubious architecture here.
IMG_20190105_132526797.jpg

The Emirates Arena, incorporating Sir Chris Hoy's velodrome
IMG_20190105_141237961.jpg

Then I went for an explore by myself: another new bridge over the Clyde leading to a blocked cycle route.
There are now 5 bridges along a 4 mile route from the east suburbs of Glasgow, and another 6 bridges on the 2 miles after that, just a mundane snipped of info I thought you might like ^_^
Tried out a new saddle with a cutout, not because my old one in uncomfortable, just because the new one was under a tenner and looks good.
'ts all right, but my nether regions were quite :cold: maybe it's meant to be a summer saddle?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Down in Dumfries for Xmas and New Year. Up early before everyone else in the house was awake. Lights needed for the first part of the ride - a 20 mile loop out to Caerlaverock and back to Dumfries through Glencaple (along NCN route 7). Everyone still asleep when I got back :biggrin:

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='View: https://www.strava.com/activities/2056617077/embed/5fb0743f821ade82dda1d5e9f2865aef5bbb818e
'></iframe>

View attachment 445708

Smart! Which Surly is that you have there?

Top Bottom