Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
View attachment 445938 View attachment 445939

Today’s weather forecast for North Yorkshire was supposed to be cloudy and dull but what a bright beautiful winters day.
I was out On the Tricross just before lunch for my first ride of 2019, still feeling sluggish but a really enjoyable ride.
27miles with an average of 14.2 mph.

I recognize that bench - party central at Ulleskelf. ^_^

C R

Guru
All well known roads for me. Super ride - well done :thumbsup:
Thanks, I rather like that side of the county, though I have started exploring your way as well. One of my targets for this year is to make it to British Camp.

I almost didn't go out, as I went to park run with my daughter yesterday and was feeling a bit stiff. Glad I did go out, as this ended up being the fastest 50k I've ridden so far.

Last edited:
Bit of a 'bridge' day really, starting with Hawarden near Shotton in Wales
20190106_142126.jpg

Built in 1890s i think and listed it was the longest swinging bridge in UK, not a real beauty though imo....
.... talking of which further down the Dee cycleway is this one:
20190106_150714.jpg

Grosvenor bridge Chester! 1830s Grade I listed and still the longest masonry arch in the UK at 200ft...it was also the longest single span in the world until the 1860s. After riding down the towpath a bit further you cross the medieval bridge at Handbridge (looks like your standard 14 century bridge really) then this footpath suspension bridge:
20190106_151618.jpg

Don't know much about it but very quaint looking.
So nice ride today. Only 20 miles or so and a bit chilly but good. Might do some great buildings of Cheshire/ N Wales next weekend once I have consulted Pevsner.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Having had yesterday indoors waiting for a couple of deliveries (non cycling!), my ride today was intended more as a "just get out and do something" ride despite the thick cloud and generally grey, damp and misty conditions. I took the Cube hybrid, with the aim of being out for a couple of hours while listening to the radio on a single earpiece.

The route taken started out with a regular Falkenham, Kirton, Newbourne, Waldringfield trip, then up Beacon Hill towards Little Bealings where, Instead of continuing on into Ipswich and then home which would have taken up the couple of hours planned, I turned right into Little Bealings itself then on into Playford on some back roads I'd not used before, Rushmere St. Andrew and then the opposite direction to home by going all the way out to Claydon, down into Bramford & Sproughton, before eventually turning for home via a meandering trip through Ipswich and Buckleshem.

All told a rather pleasant 50 miler despite the gloomyness of the weather and it being almost completely dark by the time I got home as I ended up being out for almost twice as long as planned (lights permanantly fitted to all bikes just in case of days like this!). One pack of Lidl 1/2 price Christmas chocolates eaten as a post ride treat.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2060607960
Screenshot_2019-01-06 Misty Fifty.png

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Bit of a 'bridge' day really, starting with Hawarden near Shotton in Wales
View attachment 446044
Built in 1890s i think and listed it was the longest swinging bridge in UK, not a real beauty though imo....
.... talking of which further down the Dee cycleway is this one:
View attachment 446045
Grosvenor bridge Chester! 1830s Grade I listed and still the longest masonry arch in the UK at 200ft...it was also the longest single span in the world until the 1860s. After riding down the towpath a bit further you cross the medieval bridge at Handbridge (looks like your standard 14 century bridge really) then this footpath suspension bridge:
View attachment 446048
Don't know much about it but very quaint looking.
So nice ride today. Only 20 miles or so and a bit chilly but good. Might do some great buildings of Cheshire/ N Wales next weekend once I have consulted Pevsner.

I spent many a wonderful evening getting drunk in the Boathouse. Thanks for jogging a memory!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Annual GoBike "let's go round Glasgow's cycling infrastructures".
I try to join this ride every year, to remind me of which infrastructures not to use :laugh:
On a mild, foggy day, we gathered at Bells bridge.
A good turnout, over 30 riders, some Belles, West Coast Velos, Freewheel North staff, CTC riders, CamGlen Bike town leaders ... two CChatters, me and @flyingfifi.
A foggy start:
IMG_20190106_095742504.jpg

IMG_20190106_100533917.jpg

I remember this ride last year, it was so cold our water bottles froze!
Must show you this man and his bike, he uses that bike for anything, from shopping to hilly rides.
IMG_20190106_095923615.jpg IMG_20190106_112614722.jpg
IMG_20190106_112625242.jpg
(You can click on the pics to make them bigger to read the slightly anarchic writings ^_^)
Ah, yes, the cycling infras: we did 15 miles of them, we found zillions of parked cars in them, we saw a new shared use pavement on a busy shopping street we are meant to use, 15% uphill shared use switchback bridges, 20% downhill door zone lanes, contraflows hidden by roadworks.
The scariest one was on a road that I use often: I had not realized that one was meant to take a right just before a mini roundabout (cars coming towards you expecting you to turn at the roundabout plus cars coming towards you to exit) then mount a pavement, then cross at a blind bent instead of turning at the roundabout itself! :ph34r:
Anyhow, we got to Queen's park, where we climbed to the flag pole that is one of the highest viewpoints in the city.
Today, because of the fog there was not much to see ... apart from Jimmy that got his rear wheel destroyed by derailleur attack.
Ride over for him, poor Jimmy.
A couple of miles later we had a puncture in the group, we left them to fix it, picked them up on our way back as we were doing a figure of 8, least some infrastructures felt left out :laugh:
By the time we reached the coffee stop I was getting seriously bored!
Some pictures for you, including a selfie with @flyingfifi

IMG_20190106_112738122.jpg

On top of Queen's park
IMG_20190106_112649348.jpg

The view over the city is hidden by fog, we climbed up from down there.
IMG_20190106_143840903.jpg

The afternoon brings more fog over the Clyde, then a heavy drizzle.
IMG_20190106_112204398.jpg

3 Belles try to do a selfie :wacko: :laugh:

Attachments

• IMG_20190106_095903474.jpg
    IMG_20190106_095903474.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Something different for me today . As some I of may have noticed I am a veloviewer square chaser . I had a tricky square on my Eastern edge . I now @Supersuperleeds had walked it but I am trying to ride every square . Much map studying I discovered a farm road leading onto a bridle path so game on . Drove out to the start village of Glooston with the Hybrid in the boot . Found the farm road and of I go rough gravel to start with with a few muddy patches the surface slowly got worse turned onto the bridle path which turned into a grassy path but managed to ride it . Turned back after riding into the square . Back through the village and back to Goadby and another field road to Halloton for another square . A few more lanes and more squares riding back to the car .16 miles at 11.8mph and a tricky square ticked of . I quite enjoyed slip sliding on the bridle path something I not used to . Just had to wash the bike it was a bit dirty

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Something different for me today . As some I of my have noticed In a veloviewer square chaser . I had a tricky square on my Eastern edge . I now @Supersuperleeds had walked it but I am trying to ride every square . Much map studying I discovered a farm road leading onto a bridle path so game on . Drove out to the start village of Glooston with the Hybrid in the boot . Found the farm road and of I go rough travel to start with with a few muddy patches the surface slow got worst turned onto the bridle path which turned into a grassy path but managed to ride it . Turned back after riding into the square . Back through the village and back to Goadby and another field road to Halloton for another square . A few more lanes and more squares riding back to the car .16 miles at 11.8mph and a tricky square ticked of . I quite enjoyed slip sliding on the bridle path something I not used to . Just had to wash the bike it was a bit dirty
To some that may sound like an odd ride. To a fellow Explorer square chaser it sounds perfectly normal :laugh:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
One of my targets for this year is to make it to British Camp
Nice cafe at the top there although the road can be quite busy. Great views from The Wyche Cutting :thumbsup:

Reactions: C R

Old jon

Guru
Time for a ride! Shake off the weekend cobwebs and all that. It was blowing a bit out there but that just adds to the fun, I tried to persuade myself.

Not been south of Leeds for a while so after checking the level of Hol Beck I had a wind assisted pedal through Hunslet and up the hill to John O’ Gaunts. This leads conveniently to the drop past the station at Woodlesford and the left turn to cross the waterways. The wind caught me as I crossed the Aire and Calder Navi, no wonder it had been easy climbing out of Hunslet! Up the hill to Swillington and then up some more, but gently, all the way through there and to the top of the descent to the roundabout at Garforth. Straight on there, over the railway bridge and keep on the A 642 to the big roundabout perched above the M 1. The first available road off for a bike, the B 1217, leads nicely to the gates of Lotherton Hall and the left turn onto the lane of that name. And really into the headwind.

And into Aberford. Warmer days will see me travelling further north towards Bramham but for today turn left and ride to Barwick. There was some rain carried on the breeze now, intermittent stuff that misted my glasses more than anything else, and it was a promise of more to come. Up the ups and down the downs and through Scholes with weather assistance all the way to the A 64 and that stuff in my face again. By the time the right turn onto Thorner Lane was reached the shower had passed. A left onto Skeltons Lane, continuing to Red Hall Lane to reach the A 58 and the ride past the spare park gates. A little further on is the Oakwood Clock at the top of a long gentle descent to the perpetual roadworks on St Peter’s Street. Not at all bad on a bike though. Across the river and the last few roads to clock up a little more than 28 miles as I returned home with a grin firmly in place.

You cannot tell from the map. the wind was blowing a bit.

07012019.jpg

C R

Guru
Nice cafe at the top there although the road can be quite busy. Great views from The Wyche Cutting :thumbsup:

The main reason for me to ride early in the day is to avoid busy times on the road, the downside is that cafes tend to be still closed when I go past them.

I love the views from the cutting, to both sides, one more inventive to cycle up there. I may try this Sunday if the weather is not silly.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
We gathered first in Upton, then at Besford Bridge and again in Pershore on our bikes. More of Ralph's cycling friends were also waiting at the Crematorium. The service was very apt and I'm sure Ralph would have approved of so many of us in cycling attire. We chatted at the Anchor Inn where a lovely spread had been laid on and gave our sympathies to June. She was very stoic but pleased to see so many. Afterwards 6 of us rode back to Upton together into a rather strong wind. I made my goodbyes and rode the final miles for home. I'll never forget you Ralph. Don't worry - we'll all look after June. 47 commemorative miles.

JhnBssll

Veteran
A relaxing 10.4 miles around Tunstall forest on the Stumpjumper. I would have stayed out longer to complete another lap but I had already pumped the rear tyre up 5 times and was getting fairly fed up :laugh: Hopefully next time it will behave better now I've swapped to a latex based sealant, I'm unimpressed with the finishline stuff :rolleyes:

20190107_113640.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom