Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5490336, member: 9609"]Forecast had promised a blue sky so I was a bit dissapointed with this bleak cold cold day, +2 when I set off, -1 when I got back, and not a glimpse of brightness anywhere.

Looking back down towards Selkirk View attachment 445564

Into the Ettrick Valley
View attachment 445565
View attachment 445566

Don't think this big boy should have been here, anyone lost a bull?
View attachment 445567

Hoods coming astray (todays exciting moment)
View attachment 445568

Back of beyond
View attachment 445569 [/QUOTE]

I think there is Frabentos thread some where on hear.Poor thing is perhaps looking for his relatives.

pawl

Legendary Member
**copied from 50km a month chatzone***

Another 2 points in the bag this morning with a very cold ride with the Saga CC crew over to the Bear cafe in Uttoxeter and back.

Familiar roads to start but then ventured into some newer ones which were very pleasant indeed until we hit the JCB site at Rocester then it was as lumpy as hell, with a bit of tit-for-tat with a bin lorry thrown in too! We began to splinter as a group a bit at this stage as one of the lads (the route planner!) was tiring and not firing on all cylinders. One dropped back to be his domestique, two others had a leg stretch and shot off and I was Billy no mates in the middle!

We regrouped at Uttoxeter itself and after 3/4 hr, 2 coffees and a bacon sarnie we headed back along familiar and very flat roads. Giving Will and Martin a five minute head start, we set off and it took maybe 8 or 9 miles to run them down but we eventually did just that and then I dropped into domestique duties for the remainder of the ride while the others powered on.

56 miles dead, 3:45ish and very cold but a very enjoyable and well planned ride where the work was done in the first half, I’d give it 5/5 stars if it weren’t for crossing the busy A50!
https://www.strava.com/activities/2056976251/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1546692465

https://www.relive.cc/view/2056976251

Spent many a happy hour (usually a bit more)on that corregated road ridding Time Trials

Mr Celine

Discordian
[QUOTE 5492468, member: 9609"]

In my last 'ride of today' thread I used the phrase "Back of Beyond" a phrase that I have used all of my life for remote places. I looked the phrase up online and low and behold the first person to use this in writing was our very own Borders Bard, Sir Walter Scott. and he used it in the line
"You... whirled them to the back of beyond to look at the auld Roman camp."
So today I headed down the Kale (thats where a good few auld roman camps are) So may be, just may be, the following view could have been the very view that inspired those immortal words
The Back of Beyond
[/QUOTE]

Park at Towford and walk up Dere Street to the Roman camp at Chew Green. The back of beyond and then some...

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Out on my Cube again. Down through Madingley village and on to Dry Drayton, then over the A14.
I then picked up the guided busway and headed to St Ives. Build a rocket boys...
AB5A9242-CAA8-4DBD-A564-94BEDA1082C4.jpeg

Then I spied a herd of Hereford cattle
663CE40F-1A12-4CFA-9C2A-8CF31E61036E.jpeg

CE33E4DD-C72B-46E7-AD1B-3B5A560775DE.jpeg

On Fenstanton lakes I saw Pochard, tufted duck, millions of Coot and Mute Swan.

I had no cake money so I just stopped for pictures on St Ives bridge
3D73ADDB-1382-4591-ADF3-D493144B3124.jpeg

A4B3B207-73D0-4D93-B9DE-602439122780.jpeg

Back through the lanes of Connington and Knapwell, the A14 ruining the place
AF1AE74E-CD7C-40E8-B432-A15FD5A1D091.jpeg

There were Bullfinch and Long Tailed Tit in the hedges.

Almost 27 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/2059282745

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A chilly but enjoyable club ride for me this morning. 44.6 miles. Out to the farm café at Tortworth, including a couple of hills .... first Cam Pitch and then the climb up to Tortworth. A great café stop with (for me) a lovely bowl of hot soup and some crusty bread before heading back to Gloucester via Berkeley and Frampton on Severn. Six of us set off on the outward leg, and we picked up another clubmate to make it seven on the way back. Most enjoyable ride on dry roads and with very little wind, but off for a hot bath now.
Cheers, Donger.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
3E7E3360-373A-4C4E-B908-24484A02F761.jpeg
5C8D9505-A4CF-40A3-8804-EF5EF5B2B13E.jpeg

Today’s weather forecast for North Yorkshire was supposed to be cloudy and dull but what a bright beautiful winters day.
I was out On the Tricross just before lunch for my first ride of 2019, still feeling sluggish but a really enjoyable ride.
27miles with an average of 14.2 mph.

colly

Re member eR
An early out this morning. Just before 6am I hit the road.
The forecast said it would be above freezing by a couple of degrees but the temperature was around 8C so not all that cold.
I planned a hilly one but wanted a steady ride, I made a concious decision to back off when I felt myself pushing too hard. Change to an easier gear and just go with the flow.
It worked. By the time I was approaching Ben Rhydding I felt like I had just set off. Here I turned off the main A65 Ilkley road and across the Wharfe at the bridge in Ben Rhydding, actually called Denton Bridge:

4663414_58563b96_1024x1024.jpg

© Copyright John Sparshatt

Once across the bridge I was in dark country and thankful for a decent front light. Dawn was still probably 2 hours away. A right hand turn to Middleton started me on the serious climbing. Up through the few houses that passes for a village it's around 3 miles of uphill. Not continuous because there are a couple a small dips but even so it climbs something like 650ft. It is a steady climb though and is a preamble for the run up to Langbar. Just under 3 miles this one but it undulates a bit and has some serious ramps. Difficult to get into any rhythm so it's a real effort.
The decent the other side down to Beamsley is 20% in places, with it being still dark and with sheep wandering about the road it became something of a slalom. A risky business so I took it slowly.
I picked up the main A59 Skipton/Harrogate Road going east at Bolton Bridge and once again it was uphill, 4 miles of it this time gaining just under 700ft, and then the long sweeping decent to Blubberhouses where I hooked a right towards Otley and climbed to the moor.
Once up on the moors I changed plans and dropped down passed Timble to Fewston Reservoir. After the dry spell over the summer it seems to be full and the spillway is in use once again:

20190106_083936.jpg

20190106_083851.jpg

20190106_083911.jpg

How it was on 31st October:

20181031_123759.jpg 20181031_123737.jpg 20181031_123722.jpg

Across the dam wall, up again and a right up to the top of Norwood Edge and taking some tiny roads I wriggled my way via, gates and cattle grids to Leathley.
Up again to Stainburn and passing Almscliffe Crag it was a swift drop to Dunkeswick and Harrogate Road. Turning for Leeds one final effort was called for up Harewood Bank. Traffic had picked up of course so it was a noisy old couple of miles until I turned off the 'A' road, into Wike, Shadwell and back home past Roundhay Park. It was a slow ride and I should have stopped and topped up with food so that slowed me even more, but the roads I took nowhere was available. Of course I could have taken something with me. :whistle:

Well it was a steady ride and it was hilly so I got what I wanted.

56.2 miles with just under 5000ft of up. Or if you prefer 90.5 km and 1500m of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/30713339

Edit: I meant to post this earlier.
KoM semi. In the hills over Ilkley I passed this house today and forgot to look to see if it was still painted in KoM colours.

KoM house.JPG

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Early start for me today. The GV guys were to be in Tewkesbury for 10:15. I made it on time and they showed not long after. It was great to catch up with the gang - too numerous to mention. After breakfast they lead out over the Haw Bridge and on by Upleadon to Newent. It was here I had to say by goodbyes. Great social ride tho' it had been. I took to The Scarr and on for Ketford which allowed me to ride some little used tarmac. Soon I was back on well worn surfaces as I returned by Ryton, Bromsberrow and the Castlemorton lanes. 51 smiles

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
January 14th last year saw me complete my first ever imperial century ride, I'd talked myself into the Cyclechat challenge after doing the metric one the previous year. After doing the 'triple' in 2018, I figured I'd start the imperial again and see how things went. So, when the alarm went off at 0530hrs this morning, the first thing I wanted to do was roll over and go back to sleep...
Out the door at just after 0600hrs, and into the darkness I went. Of course I knew it would be dark, so the first 20 miles were spent on mostly unlit roads:rolleyes: Glad of the Hope Vision front light, but even so had to keep the speed down on the downhills. Familiar territory through Chobham and then a good few miles on the A30, turning off at Minley before a very zigzg route through to Hartley Wintney, Heckfield, Sherfield On Loddon, Mattingley, Dipley, Winchfield, Odiham, Upton Grey, S.Warnborough, Long Sutton, Crondall, Farnham, Pirbright and then home.
A rather undulating ride today, with 5,200ft or so of climbing, but all nice as I was in no rush. Found some excellent new roads and a few not so nice. Lots and lots of cyclists out and about, a few big groups, lots of small groups and a few single riders like myself.
My 13th ever imperial century at 103.4 miles in 1 minute over 7 hours. I stopped for a photo, not sure where as it all started to look the same TBH, so my bike in front of some moss covered concrete slabs
6 Jan 2019 Mossy Blocks.jpg

Todays ride was fuelled by homemade banana and honey loaf, and a number of chocolate bars. Yum yum

C R

Guru
Second attempt at the metric half this month, and luckily didn't suffer any deflationary events.

Forecast was for about four degrees, so wrapped up a bit. Out around ten past seven, still dark, and rather quiet roads. The temperature was higher than forecast. Down to the A38, through Kempsey, then left for Kerswell Green, up Kinnersley, through Earls Croome, and then a left for Defford. The road was really quiet, and hardly any wind, but I was a tad overdressed.

Past Defford it was a right for Eckington, and over the bridge. Stopped for a few minutes at the picnic area for a nut bar and a couple of photos

IMG_20190106_081030593.jpg

IMG_20190106_081015906.jpg

Once refreshed carried on, through Eckington, then a left towards the Combertons, over the side of Bredon Hill.

From Great Comberton it is a quick run to Pershore, and then up to Pinvin, and from there to Drakes Broughton via the ford

IMG_20190106_085330354.jpg

From Drakes Broughton I took for Wadborough via Besford Bridge, and then home through Littleworth and down past Norton church.

The map

IMG_20190106_112844.jpg

Really enjoyed the ride.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Second attempt at the metric half this month, and luckily didn't suffer any deflationary events.

Forecast was for about four degrees, so wrapped up a bit. Out around ten past seven, still dark, and rather quiet roads. The temperature was higher than forecast. Down to the A38, through Kempsey, then left for Kerswell Green, up Kinnersley, through Earls Croome, and then a left for Defford. The road was really quiet, and hardly any wind, but I was a tad overdressed.

Past Defford it was a right for Eckington, and over the bridge. Stopped for a few minutes at the picnic area for a nut bar and a couple of photos

View attachment 445986
View attachment 445987
Once refreshed carried on, through Eckington, then a left towards the Combertons, over the side of Bredon Hill.

From Great Comberton it is a quick run to Pershore, and then up to Pinvin, and from there to Drakes Broughton via the ford

View attachment 445992

From Drakes Broughton I took for Wadborough via Besford Bridge, and then home through Littleworth and down past Norton church.

The map

View attachment 445993

Really enjoyed the ride.
All well known roads for me. Super ride - well done :thumbsup:

Top Bottom