Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Katherine, you really do take a lovely photo, wish I had your eye.

Wish I had her legs....

Old jon

Guru
Having managed to remember a sort of music festival happening at Roundhay Park today, I clean forgot the Otley Folk Festival, despite more than one of my mates reminding me that they were playing there. Guess where my ride went through? Yup. Thankfully most musicians’ days do not start till after two o’ clock and I was home by then.

A cool start to the day, so after the towpath and Cardigan Road route to Lawnswood Ring Road, I took the left fork onto Otley Old Road and began that extra climb up to the water tower at Cookridge. There is more than the water tower to Cookridge, really, but that tower is visible from a very long way away. I then followed the road along to the older part of Bramhope village and turned left onto the A 660 towards the Dyneley Arms, where I turned right to swoop ( too fanciful, but it fits ) down Pool Bank. I resisted the left turn on the way out of the village and carried straight on to cross the River Wharfe. A little further along the A 658 I turned left to head towards Leathley.

I turned the camera off before the sound of my laboured breathing became too distressing, that climb seemed quite steep today. Up to Farnley Hall and down the lane into Otley, two or three mates already up and about and recognised. If you ever have a chance to listen to Al Bampton, he is a rather wonderful guitarist, and Tim Lyttle does rather well also. Anyway, escape from Otley seemed a little ill mannered, but I will be listening to Al tomorrow, so I figured I have paid my dues. Sort of. So as ever, the A 660 back to Leeds, thirty point eight miles for the morning, back home and one of my neighbours is assembling an undercover cargo bike. Undercover ‘cos I knew nowt about it till now. I fitted the steering head bearings and wheels for the lass and then pleaded the need for a shower. A great morning.

And a graphic depiction of today's perambulations . . .

17092016.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I have a confession to make.

I am a Castelli winker.

In the last 6 weeks I've bought 2 pairs of bib shorts and a Gabba jacket in the Wiggle sale, some with birthday vouchers. I used to wear dhb, but I think the quality has slipped of late.

So my ride was in shorts and Gabba jacket today. I can see why people rave about them. Lovely fit, soft material and warm. But not too warm. Just right..

I was with the boy wonder today, and we headed out through Comberton, then over the A10 at Haslingfield and up to Newton. He was out drinking til the small hours, but this is still happening on hills

image.jpeg

Oh to be 21. Eventually I catch him.

From Newton we had a decent head wind back to the Shelfords. I did the decent thing, and sat on his wheel

image.jpeg

Back through Grantchester and Coton before coming up Madingley Hill.

22 blowy and cozy miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/715350355

gavgav

Guru
The second ride of my mini holiday in Wales. @Rickshaw Phil and his brother came up last night and so I had company for today's ride, one which I did last October and rated up with the best I've ever done and so I took them to see if they agreed (they did!)

Headed down the main road into Barmouth, very busy but only 1 idiot who gave us a close pass with a car coming the other way.

Along the sea front in Barmouth and then over the wooden bridge across the estuary, before heading along the beautiful Mawddach Trail to Dolgellau. Quite a few cyclists about, including numbered bikes on an event of some sort.

We paused for lunch in Dolgellau and then began the long steep climb to Cregennan Lakes, with Cader Idris looking over us. It really is breathtaking scenery up there and well worth the climb.

There is then an epic descent of 800 ft in about a mile, down hairpin bends and out onto the main road to Arthog. We then re-joined the Mawddach Trail and re traced our steps back to the caravan.

Brilliant fun, 33.1 miles with 2100 ft of climbing. I really love cycling sometimes ! ^_^

@Rickshaw Phil was chief photographer today and so will leave the amazing shots for when he does his ride report.

I went for a Jolly down to Stokes Bay again today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/715395966/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1474124747

I came back via Fareham. As I was passing the front of the shopping arcade, an old lady fell over and hit the deck quite hard. This was a job for First Aid man ( again):eek:. Think this

IMG_3264.PNG

But in a Castelli race suit.
Fortunately she fell into pretty much a recovery position, so I didn't have to do much after the primary survey. She was going into a bit of shock as the Ambulance crew arrived. I suspect the fall may have been caused by a T.I.A. or similar, given some of what she said to me. Here's hoping she's okay:thumbsup:. The Ambulance arrived quite quickly, so she had the best chance she could reasonably expect.
Other than that, it was a fairly uneventful ride ( except for the Mercedes making contact with my bars hard enough to leave paint on them that is, as he squeezed me as he tried to get past):eek:.

IMG_3247.JPG

Coffee and cake, at the cafe on Stokes Bay:hungry:.

IMG_3251.JPG

Water sports on Stokes Bay.

IMG_3253.JPG

I wanted to borrow this to ride home in.

IMG_3254.JPG

After some Donut left paint on my bars.

IMG_3257.JPG

This was a little music event thing going on in a park, on my route home.

This ride was a bit more 'eventful' than normal, but 57 odd miles done, and not too bad, weather wise
:bicycle::thumbsup:.

Diggs

Veteran
So what happened there then?! Thursday I was sweating buckets in sunglasses. This morning I had arm warmers on!!!!
Up early for the LBS ride, 80% of prep was wondering what to wear.
Got quite chilly with 3 tubes going on one guys bike due to a dodgy new continental tyre.
Bit windy, bit cold(er than I'm got used to) but always better than not getting out and a nice hot cuppa back at the shop.

tmp_15960-IMG_20160917_1346131193779540.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Works night out last night, so even though I was safely tucked up in bed by midnight a head clearing ride was just the thing this morning.

So, over Cock Beck and up Leeds Road to Scholes, past the Saturday morning assembly of cyclists under the Coronation Tree and up to Barwick.
Long before I reached the village I'd noticed the blustery breeze, which seemed a darn sight stronger than what the eternally unreliable Peter Gibbs had forecast on the telly...:dry:
Anyhow, right at the New Inn for the descent, then climb, then long descent, the bridge over Cock Beck and climb to Garforth.
Left up the A642 and the ascent to the M1 roundabout and across towards Aberford.
Up the old Great North Road into the village (no chance of setting off the sign today with that headwind), before turning right and under the A1(M) bridge and the climb to Lotherton Gates.
From there onto Copley Lane and the lovely smooth tarmac all the way to the turning for Saxton, stopping just before the village for a photo:
IMG_20160917_094503097.jpg

Back on board and through the village, heading up the rise towards the A162 and Barkston Ash. .
Through the village for the dash along Common Lane to Church Fenton, eventually taking the right onto Brackenhill Lane for the run along the southern edge of the airfield. It's open here and a couple of times I was leaning into a noticeable crosswind, which was right in my face as the road turned north to cross the railway line and enter Ryther, where I stopped for a couple of photos by the River Wharfe:
IMG_20160917_101438141.jpg
IMG_20160917_101512283.jpg

(it's a Raleigh, under that yellow paint)
Back in the saddle and off towards Ulleskelf through Ozendyke, struggling at times with a wind that couldn't decide what direction it was coming from and grateful for the hedges approaching Ulleskelf.
Here I turned left and headed back for Church Fenton to complete the loop. I reckon I had the wind behind me for most of this section, which was much better!
Once back into Church Fenton, I retraced my outbound route back through Barkston Ash and Saxton, stopping again for final photo (and a drink):
IMG_20160917_104857086.jpg

From there it was a reverse of the outbound journey as far as Aberford where I turned right through the village, then left to take Cattle Lane back to Barwick.
Once you've enjoyed the descent down to the bridge over Cock Beck, this section is pretty much all uphill into and through Barwick right up to about half a mile from Scholes, where there is a welcome descent down to the Coronation Tree.
Left here onto Leeds Road, reaching the crest and the decent back down the hill and over Cock Beck (again), before taking local roads up to home.

34.41 miles (55.37km) in 2h 14m at an average of 15.4mph with 1,469ft climbed.
All good stuff, another metric half in the bag and just the thing to clear your head.
Quite a few other riders out this morning, even though the weather is definitely shifting towards autumnal now. Still fine in shorts and a short-sleeved top, but noticeably cooler than recently and the arm warmers were on today and stayed on for the full ride.

17092016.JPG

Had quite a big day today. Started by riding down to Temple Meads to meet up with the bike minded group. They're part of a charity which aims to provide opportunities for people with mental health issues to get out on bikes. We loaded all the bikes into a rental van and then we caught a train down to Yatton on a group ticket bought by the charity. At Yatton we met the van and got back on the bike and set off along the Strawberry Line to Cheddar. After a nice lunch at a fish and chip shop in Cheddar we made our way back to Yatton and thence back to Temple Meads. By the time we reached Temple Meads I had done 30 miles on my GT mountain bike so I was in 2 minds whether to cycle home or put the bike on a train to Bristol Parkway. After a rest and a cup of tea while waiting for the van with the bikes, I decided to ride home. All in all, 38 miles and 1111ft of ascent on a heavy 29er MTB.

Hugs
Archeress x
Well done, that's a fair old ride.
:thumbsup:

Archeress

Veteran
Well my fiancé wanted to ride the Strawberry Line so I went back today. Was a bit easier today as we drove to Yatton Station where we started riding. It was warmer today and made for pleasant riding. We stopped for a break nearly half way to Cheddar at Winscombe Millennium Green, the remains of an old station.

20160917110529.JPG

Having learnt from yesterday I had insisted on taking lights for the unlit 165m tunnel. It's especially bad for me as I wear reactolite prescription glasses and they don't clear quick enough.

We arrived in Cheddar and went to my fiancés favourite cafe The Wishing Well Tea Room. I can recommend the cream tea, 2 warm scones with clotted cream and Strawberry jam and two pieces of cake. We ambled around Cheddar for a while before setting off.

We had seen a sign for a cafe on our way to Cheddar, about 2 1/2 out from Yatton so we planned to ride non stop to the cafe. My fiance surprised himself by managing the short pull out of Axbridge.

We arrived at the cafe, part of a fishing lake, to find it was closed :sad: so we pressed onto Yatton and arrived 10 minutes before the station cafe closed.

Hugs
Archeress x

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays and todays walks.
Deciding that once the drizzle had stopped just after lunch, I used my bus pass to pop into town to wander around the market and buy a few things before walking back homewards.

DSC_0371.JPG

It must be getting a bit rough in the town centre to need both the army and the police on a Friday afternoon! :gun:

IMG_20160916_172939.jpg

I used the same route I usually ride back on ie. along the riverbank from Becketts Park. Under the Barnes Meadow flyover before walking the couple of miles to Riverside where I called in to a shop and bought some new walking boots. I changed into them straight away and started to break them in over the last 3 or 4 miles home.
A pleasant bit of exercise of just under 8 miles with 2 1/4 hours walking yesterday. ( I could have done without 4 lb of plums and 4 cans of Guinness plus my old shoes in the rucksack as ballast though :laugh: )

https://www.strava.com/activities/714339981

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#

Today was about 4 miles down to the library to pick up a book my granddaughter had ordered, then back home munching on a chicken curry slice! This walking makes me peckish :okay:

DSC_0375.JPG

The ducks only got a few crumbs that fell of it. Still, the locals feed them enough, I reckon.

Back home with about an hours' walking.

:smile:

13 rider

Guru
I went for a Jolly down to Stokes Bay again today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/715395966/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1474124747

I came back via Fareham. As I was passing the front of the shopping arcade, an old lady fell over and hit the deck quite hard. This was a job for First Aid man ( again):eek:. Think this

View attachment 144290
But in a Castelli race suit.
Fortunately she fell into pretty much a recovery position, so I didn't have to do much after the primary survey. She was going into a bit of shock as the Ambulance crew arrived. I suspect the fall may have been caused by a T.I.A. or similar, given some of what she said to me. Here's hoping she's okay:thumbsup:. The Ambulance arrived quite quickly, so she had the best chance she could reasonably expect.
Other than that, it was a fairly uneventful ride ( except for the Mercedes making contact with my bars hard enough to leave paint on them that is, as he squeezed me as he tried to get past):eek:.

View attachment 144282

Coffee and cake, at the cafe on Stokes Bay:hungry:.

View attachment 144283

Water sports on Stokes Bay.

View attachment 144284

I wanted to borrow this to ride home in.

View attachment 144287

After some Donut left paint on my bars.

View attachment 144291

This was a little music event thing going on in a park, on my route home.

This ride was a bit more 'eventful' than normal, but 57 odd miles done, and not too bad, weather wise
:bicycle::thumbsup:.
Well done for the first aid . How did you stay on your bike if the nobber clipped your bars that hard . Good job you were not on the drops . Hopefully it left a nasty scratch on the car . How come it's on the left hand side ?.

Top Bottom