Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Today's target 50 miles Had arranged to meet mates Andy and Steve at 0900 for an hour ride at their pace so that would be a relaxed ride for me . So up earlyish out the door at 0800 to do some miles before the meeting .So went through Newtown Linford ,Groby back to Anstey then Thurcaston ,Rothley and Mountsorrel decided to climb bond lane a nasty steep climb just for the fun of it :scratch:.Got to the meeting point Steve was waiting and Andy soon arrived . So set off at their pace which was very relaxed for me . A nice hour loop though Quorn ,Woodhouse eaves ,Swithland ,Cropston ,Rothley and back to Mountsorrel at every climb I found my self waiting at the top or slowly Free wheeling until they caught up .Dropped Steve off at home and on to Andy's house in Sileby . Quick fettle of his wife's bike who just started riding again and a nice coffee and I set off to get the rest of my miles in and Andy and his wife set off in the other direction for a short ride at an even slower pace . Went up through Walton on the Wolds passed a guy coming up Walton hill on a tourer fully laden and it looked hard work :surrender:. On Walton lane a guy on a trike was coming the other way a rare sight not sure if it was @raleighnut I think it's the wrong side of town . Back home via Barrow on Soar ,Quorn ,Woodhouse ,Swithland ,Cropston and Home . 53.4 miles in the bag at 15.7 mph which considering the middle hour was probably 13 mph so not to shabby . Bit chilly this morning but short sleeved and shorts with arm warmers which stayed on for most of the ride just being to warm up as I got home . Went to upload Strava I had the dreaded message someone has stolen your KOM :sad: by 2 seconds so a midweek ride might be planned:boxing: in a way I wish he taken chunks out of it and I wouldn't feel the need to respond but 2 seconds over 8 minutes

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another ride out with Mrs ND this morning, about half of it off road.
Up to Scholes via Wood Lane and then down main Street to the Coronation Tree, when we went back off road onto the bridleway, Bog Lane.
From there it a lovely meandering and lumpy off road mile all the way to Manston Lane. Took it steady for obvious reasons (my moving time along here was almost 6 minutes slower than I'd do it solo! :laugh: ), but with a couple of pauses we did have time for some photos and to enjoy the scenery before the council build a dual carriageway through it...
IMG_20160918_095131469.jpg
IMG_20160918_095137150.jpg
IMG_20160918_095615434.jpg
IMG_20160918_095618392.jpg
IMG_20160918_095621560.jpg
IMG_20160918_100128188.jpg
IMG_20160918_100207339.jpg

Then, as were about to get back onto the tarmac at Manston Lane, the farmer came scurrying up the road asking if we'd mind waiting a minute as they were moving some sheep?
No problem, we grabbed a drink expecting a huge flock of sheep to trundle past - so you can imagine our surprise when just TWO sheep were walked up the road and into the field! :laugh:
IMG_20160918_102241268.jpg

From there it's all back on blacktop up to Pendas Fields and then down to Barwick Road before heading back up home.

5.84 miles (9.4km) in a total moving time 53m, with 218ft climbed. More importantly it's another ride out for Mrs ND and the first time she's faced a more challenging bit of off-roading. The good news is that she really enjoyed it and is already planning the next ride.:okay:

Here's the map:
18092016.JPG

Well done for the first aid . How did you stay on your bike if the nobber clipped your bars that hard . Good job you were not on the drops . Hopefully it left a nasty scratch on the car . How come it's on the left hand side ?.

I was stopped, having filtered the queue, turning right. Everyone else missed me by a margin, but not this idiot. He's hopefully got a matching pink mark on his mirror housing. The thing that amazed me is how he missed my leg.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A little old tandem ride today. Out to Graveley and then a turn for Toseland.
Eventually we ended up in St Neots going past the rugby club, looked like a kids tournament in action
image.jpeg

The other side of the road looked less gloomy
image.jpeg

Shortly after we arrived in the market square. We were going to go to the posh Betty Bumbles tea room but it wasn't open yet. We went to cafe Nero along with St Neots CC

image.jpeg

Out through Eynesbury and on to Abbotsley, then up through the quiet lane to Waresley.
We stopped to pick blackberries, sloes and rose hips. Jo will wave her magic wand to turn it into something yummy. Whilst picking, one moment it was cloudy and chill, the next it was tropical
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Just at the give way there is a T junction. We'd turned to Waresley last Sunday, so we went to Gamlingay. I was sure there was a nice hill, but I wasn't 100% sure...

It turned out I was 100% correct. The maximum down said 19%, maximum up t'other side said 16%. It felt steeper.

From Gamlingay we skirted the Gransdens and Bourn, came through Toft and home. 40 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/716545287

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Sunday morning ride with a couple of mates.
40 miles around the Herts/Beds/Bucks borders and being in the Chilterns a few hills thrown in for good measure. A harder ride than last week, the pace was quite fast from the off & the air was a little colder which affected my breathing on the hills which were fairly frequent.
All good fun though and being a short morning ride I was home in time for my wife's Sunday lunch.

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0886.PNG

IMG_0887.PNG

IMG_0888.PNG

Last Thursday I rode to Capel Curing off the Wirral to join friends for the weekend, taking full panniers for an overnight stay and a few bits for the weekend.

Took my Marin Bear Valley for the ride and stayed in the independent Hostel in Capel. A total of 67 miles, which is the furthest fully loaded ride I've done for many a year. Weather caught me out a bit as it was so hot and I ran out of water as I crossed the Denbigh Moors, so was a bit parched and suffering from the heat as I dropped into betwsy, which left me feeling a bit sick and sunburned. Good wknd though with a good hill walk as well.

lkiizvL-V7veHLzNPbRAVhWB5kXQ5znUCKtc8qAavjtJCu-zFFxm0M2oIC4CbkAmbonOz3nxyeW1jc7Mu9=w1268-h715-no.jpg

DRor3me4xnfhypMWY7OaEb6AmAMetsjCDB-2nsmafCcYpbPCjaPh-AQ8xmon1vmeAzDQ_NA17i37reRnjk=w1268-h715-no.jpg

dQkClO3fg86u3oDvw-7_xWrelFmmX7wTWRoLInTL2ie73aqnfWS6khhnJHH6PjH06j7PPuJ95LVl0k9EkH=w1268-h715-no.jpg

(let me know if you can't see those piccies)

Last edited:
Sunday morning ride with a couple of mates.
40 miles around the Herts/Beds/Bucks borders and being in the Chilterns a few hills thrown in for good measure. A harder ride than last week, the pace was quite fast from the off & the air was a little colder which affected my breathing on the hills which were fairly frequent.
All good fun though and being a short morning ride I was home in time for my wife's Sunday lunch.

View attachment 144399

View attachment 144396

View attachment 144397

View attachment 144398
That's a good speed for a hilly ride

Surlydave

Über Member
A great ride around north and west Suffolk organised by Hadleigh CC. The Gayford Flyer
is in memory of Oswald Gayford, from Hadleigh, who set a world record by flying continuously
5309 miles from Lincolnshire to Walvis Bay South Africa in 1933. This years Spitfire route had to
be shortened slightly to, to 88km from 100km avoid roadworks near the finish, there is also a second
route the Lancaster, 50km. This was the second running of the event, and hopefully it will continue as
I for one thoroughly enjoyed it.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/8035690

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Kingsway CC club ride number 22 of the year for me. The "Intermediate" Group was split roughly into one group who normally ride with the "Chilled" Group and another lot who normally go with the fast guys, so we decided to split right from the start. It got off to a bad start as the four of us in the slower group all managed to pick slightly different routes across the first big traffic lights, right in front of the faster group, who were all still together but approaching from a different direction. This caused great amusement for @gordyfinbar and Chris H (alias Stadler and Waldorf) in the wings.

Claire P, @Dark46, @Largie003 and I then rode out as far as the Three Choirs Vineyard at Newent before @Largie003 had to turn for home. The rest of us plodded on to the Weston's Cider mill at Much Marcle in lovely conditions. Fresh Stowford Press cider was consumed in the sunshine....... not before we had taken a wrong turn and ended up passing the other group in the opposite direction, line astern. Either Stadler or Waldorf shouted something witty about us being lost. It was quite nice to see clubmates out on the road, all kitted out in KCC jerseys, and keeping the peloton in good shape.

Came back via Dymock Woods, Newent and Taynton & Tibberton. There we kept being told which way to turn by marshalls who thought we were part of a time trial competition that was going on. I guess we should be flattered.

Got back to Kingsway, having added a few miles to the official route, and by the time I got home, I'd done exactly 48 miles. A nice ride out.

Cheers, Donger.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Today's target 50 miles Had arranged to meet mates Andy and Steve at 0900 for an hour ride at their pace so that would be a relaxed ride for me . So up earlyish out the door at 0800 to do some miles before the meeting .So went through Newtown Linford ,Groby back to Anstey then Thurcaston ,Rothley and Mountsorrel decided to climb bond lane a nasty steep climb just for the fun of it :scratch:.Got to the meeting point Steve was waiting and Andy soon arrived . So set off at their pace which was very relaxed for me . A nice hour loop though Quorn ,Woodhouse eaves ,Swithland ,Cropston ,Rothley and back to Mountsorrel at ever climb I found my self waiting at the top or slowly Fred wheeling until they caught up .Dropped Steve off at home and on to Andy's house in Sileby . Quick fettle of his wife's bike who just started riding again and a nice coffee and I set off to get the rest of my miles in and Andy and his wife set off in the other direction for a short ride at an even slower pace . Went up through Walton on the Wolds passed a guy coming up Walton hill on a tourer fully laden and it looked hard work :surrender:. On Walton lane a guy on a trike was coming the other way a rare sight not sure if it was @raleighnut I think it's the wrong side of town . Back home via Barrow on Soar ,Quorn ,Woodhouse ,Swithland ,Cropston and Home . 53.4 miles in the bag at 15.7 mph which considering the middle hour was probably 13 mph so not to shabby . Bit chilly this morning but short sleeved and shorts with arm warmers which stayed on for most of the ride just being to warm up as I got home . Went to upload Strava I had the dreaded message someone has stolen your KOM :sad: by 2 seconds so a midweek ride might be planned:boxing: in a way I wish he taken chunks out of it and I wouldn't feel the need to respond but 2 seconds over 8 minutes
No not me, not that far out.

Top Bottom