Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Busy busy busy at work, yesterday and Saturday were all day at work days...head cold for the last few days culminating in feeling groggy last night...phhhh :sad:.
2 days off in lieu, today was going to be a day to relax but I need some steak for tonight, car was an option....bike sounds better but it's going to have to be a steady one, so hybrid out this morning.
15 miles at no great pace, 2 pieces of steak and some shopping, meandered along cycle paths from Fengate, past Flag Fen archaeology site, alongside the Nene into town and back home, loads of countryside dykes and ditches, quiet riding, lovely. Summer's over, everything seems quiet out there, there's a calm, even the birds seem to be relaxed, never noticed that before. Very peaceful. :okay:

Feel better for the ride, it's given me a lift.
Soon be cooking sirloin steak, new potatoes, peas, mushrooms and onions and a glass of wine for tea :hungry:, it's my wife's birthday .

Mrs M

Guru
Busy busy busy at work, yesterday and Saturday were all day at work days...head cold for the last few days culminating in feeling groggy last night...phhhh :sad:.
2 days off in lieu, today was going to be a day to relax but I need some steak for tonight, car was an option....bike sounds better but it's going to have to be a steady one, so hybrid out this morning.
15 miles at no great pace, 2 pieces of steak and some shopping, meandered along cycle paths from Fengate, past Flag Fen archaeology site, alongside the Nene into town and back home, loads of countryside dykes and ditches, quiet riding, lovely. Summer's over, everything seems quiet out there, there's a calm, even the birds seem to be relaxed, never noticed that before. Very peaceful. :okay:

Feel better for the ride, it's given me a lift.
Soon be cooking sirloin steak, new potatoes, peas, mushrooms and onions and a glass of wine for tea :hungry:, it's my wife's birthday .
Happy birthday Mrs gbb :birthday:

Alex H

Legendary Member
I haven't posted on here for a while. I thought perhaps I could spare you all the trips to St Cyr on the tandem (twice weekly) ^_^. Anyway we've now done over 700km on the Pino since we bought it and have brought it to the Aude for a week to give it a holiday. We're staying in a gite near Castelnaudary, unfortunately it's on top of a hill. The owners even have the remains of an old windmill on site. On the way out from the gite you can see the village of Montmaur, clinging to the side of yet another hill :rolleyes:

P9190001.jpg

The gite owners also have a restaurant, so as we are going to visit later in the week, we thought it might be a good idea to find out where it was.

There is a lake that is at the back of the restaurant with lots of ducks.

P9190002.jpg

We also discovered that next to the lake is a 'piste cyclable' which runs from Saint Ferréol in the North of the region to the Canal du Midi, near Castelnaudary. The route follows the service 'road' of La Rigole du Canal du Midi. This is the only 'top-up' stream that supplies the Canal du Midi between Carcassone and Toulouse. Suitable only for mountain bikes - and fat-tyred Pinos ^_^, the 'road' is basically a farm track that follows the stream, covered in pine cones and with lots of tree roots spoiling the surface.

Here is the lake at the restaurant to the left, the path (round the lake is very good) and the stream on the right.
P9190003.jpg

Most of the track is sheltered in the trees, with the occasional break for joining / leaving / crossing a road.

P9190004.jpg

It was round about here that we started seeing plastic bags attached to some of the pine trees - most seemed to be filled with a black liquid - needless to say I have no idea why:unsure:

P9190005.jpg

Bridge over the stream
P9190006.jpg

A few more trees
P9190010.jpg

The Canal du Midi and 2 of the 6 cyclists we saw. (2 of whom were camping with a baby :ohmy:)

P9190011.jpg

A quieter bit :laugh:
P9190012.jpg

Route
Screenshot from 2016-09-19 17-10-08.png

Notice the climb back to the gite at the end. We did get off and walk for about 100m out of the 1.4km it is from the main road to the house.

48km in 3 hrs 10min - fairly slow due to the lack of decent surface :whistle:

392m of ascent

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I haven't posted on here for a while. I thought perhaps I could spare you all the trips to St Cyr on the tandem (twice weekly) ^_^. Anyway we've now done over 700km on the Pino since we bought it and have brought it to the Aude for a week to give it a holiday. We're staying in a gite near Castelnaudary, unfortunately it's on top of a hill. The owners even have the remains of an old windmill on site. On the way out from the gite you can see the village of Montmaur, clinging to the side of yet another hill :rolleyes:

View attachment 144567

The gite owners also have a restaurant, so as we are going to visit later in the week, we thought it might be a good idea to find out where it was.

There is a lake that is at the back of the restaurant with lots of ducks.

View attachment 144568

We also discovered that next to the lake is a 'piste cyclable' which runs from Sorèze in the North of the region to the Canal du Midi, near Castelnaudary. The route follows the service 'road' of La Rigole du Canal du Midi. This is the only 'top-up' stream that supplies the Canal du Midi between Carcassone and Toulouse. Suitable only for mountain bikes - and fat-tyred Pinos ^_^, the 'road' is basically a farm track that follows the stream, covered in pine cones and with lots of tree roots spoiling the surface.

Here is the lake at the restaurant to the left, the path (round the lake is very good) and the stream on the right.
View attachment 144569

Most of the track is sheltered in the trees, with the occasional break for joining / leaving / crossing a road.

View attachment 144570

It was round about here that we started seeing plastic bags attached to some of the pine trees - most seemed to be filled with a black liquid - needless to say I have no idea why:unsure:

View attachment 144571

Bridge over the stream
View attachment 144572

A few more trees
View attachment 144573

The Canal du Midi and 2 of the 6 cyclists we saw. (2 of whom were camping with a baby :ohmy:)

View attachment 144574

A quieter bit :laugh:
View attachment 144575

Route
View attachment 144576

Notice the climb back to the gite at the end. We did get off and walk for about 100m out of the 1.4km it is from the main road to the house.

48km in 3 hrs 10min - fairly slow due to the lack of decent surface :whistle:

392m of ascent
I believe that the plastic bags on pine trees may be there to deter a type of moth..

Alex H

Legendary Member
I believe that the plastic bags on pine trees may be there to deter a type of moth..

I don't think so - have a look https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/plastic-bags-on-pine-trees.207432/

steve50

Disenchanted Member
A good ride this morning, just over 26 miles with a lot of hill climbing, got home hot and sweaty with tired legs but enjoyed the ride. Was anyone from the forum riding Cragg Vale this morning around 10.30 - 11.00am, I was going downhill and passed a lot of cyclists coming from the opposite direction. I was on the Boardman (black & yellow) wearing red short sleeve jersey and black cycling tights with red piping, the majority of us acknowledged each other in passing.
https://www.strava.com/activities/718645456
Edit; really pleased with myself, 15 PR's today!!!! Wow!

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Been off the bike for the last 4 days, initially missing a commute due to having to collect something big after work, but subsequently due to my legs not playing ball. Today I decided I needed something different, so dragged the Boardman MTB out of the garage and went exploring.
Started out heading towards Egham, before finding the footpath alongside the railway which brings me out at the bottom of Prune Hill. Normally I go up this on road, but today I followed the wet grass route across a field (a marked path) to the first stile. Still looking good for a 5 yr old bike
20 Sept 2016 MTB @ Prune Hill.jpg

The path from here to the pub at the top is rather steep in places, and today was very muddy. I had to push a couple of times as the back tyre became slick with the mud (honest..). I wasn't able to justify stopping at the pub, I'd only gone 3 or so miles at this point, so turned left up Callow Hill in search of a trail I'd spotted on the map. Turned out to be a great find, and one to revisit in drier weather. A super downhill trail through the forest, tempting to go faster but the unknowns and mud held me back. Crossed the railway at the bottom, then headed to Thorpe and off down Monks Walk. Also a bit muddy. Thorpe Park is still open, and usually you can watch people on the Loggers Leap ride (used to be the biggest log flume in Europe, back when I was a Thorpe Park cleaner). It seems this is now closed, and was fenced off. Spotted another blast from the past though, from the days when Thorpe Park had a farm. A workmates Dad used to drive this after he retired. Very unusual to see one out of the shed though..
20 Sept 2016 Thorpe Park Train.jpg

Home having done 12 miles, quite possibly one of my slowest rides in ages, but also one of the most fun and made a good change from zooming around on the road bike.

Buck

Guru
Home early tonight so I negotiated with Mrs Buck that I would take the junior Bucks to Karate and she would do the pick up allowing me to squeeze a quick ride in :becool:

After getting them there and battling the traffic home I hopped onto the bike (luckily I had the foresight to get it ready and get changed ahead of drop off)

The weather was lovely - nice and calm with barely a breeze and whilst you could feel it quickly cooling off, it was still pleasant enough for just a short sleeve top.

I knew I'd have a maximum of an hour before the light had gone completely so I headed out of the village with the lights on and up onto the Haddingley drag, seeing the sun setting behind the distant hills. I cycled on Whitley Road past the windmills and then up the steep climb to the Royds Hill viewing platform then back towards home on Broadstone Road. I passed another cyclist heading up to Windmill Lane and we had a brief chat before I continued onwards.

In a nice nod to my progress part of my route is the "5 lane ends lap" which I did in 27:48. Looking back on Strava, that's 12 minutes faster than I did it in last December. :thumbsup:

Turning right past the quarry I then took a left and headed down the main road to the Sovereign where I took a left and decided I would give it everything on the "sovereign sprint" where I consistently get 21s ! Tonight I finally broke through the barrier and hit a nice 19s, giving me joint 4th overall on Strava. A small victory but a nice result all the same.

Home in under an hour just as darkness set in. What a nice way to spend an hour. (sorry no photos tonight)

Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 20.07.16.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/719107453

Top Bottom