Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Went out Monday. Ideally would have liked 40 miles plus
Went over Chertsey Bridge, Up Holloway Hill, Down Stonehill Road and Gracious Pond Road. Then sWindlesham and Lightwater, turning back then, through Chobham, and my normal way back through quiet anes until crossing the A322 and back via Addlestone

There were a few spots of rain throughout hence I shortened the ride

After I got home, it dod rain narder so made the right choice

https://www.strava.com/activities/717755844

27.4 miles at 16.8 mph
623 feet climbed
A bit of wind in some directions

robjh

Legendary Member
We've been staying for a couple of days in the Dolomites in Italy, and yesterday I went out for a circular ride that goes around the Sella massif. The Dolomites consist of a number of such massifs, great irruptions of rock that present sheer cliffs on all sides and broken, jagged peaks, and from the high roads you can often look over to several of these mountain groups at one time. It was a ride that wasn't too long horizontally, at 70km, but made up for that with around 2000m of climbing and absolute tons of character.
I started from Campitello, a rather touristy village in the Fassa Valley, and started to climb at Canazei, around 1450m above sea level.The first stop was at the Sella Pass (2244m), facing the peaks of the Rosengarten Group.
on the climb to the Passo Sella
20160920 (8) Dolomites bike ride - Canazei to Passo Sella.JPG
20160920 (12) Dolomites bike ride - Passo Sella and around.JPG

coffee break at the top
20160920 (33)A Dolomites bike ride - Passo Sella.jpg

There followed a fast descent - all the descents were fast and exhilarating, on good surfaces - to a col then another, shorter climb to the Gardena Pass at 2234m.
20160920 (30) Dolomites bike ride - Passo Gardena and around.JPG
20160920 (32) Dolomites bike ride - Passo Gardena and around.JPG

After more stops for photos, I zoomed down the hairpins to the town of Corvara, which was the next junction.
descent from Passo Gardena towards Corvara
20160920 (35) Dolomites bike ride - Passo Gardena to Corvara.JPG

The next pass, Campolongo, was a mere pimple at around 1870m and well below the treeline and another steep descent then brought me to the village of Arabba and another coffee stop before the final long climb to the Pordoi Pass (2239m). This seemed like the longest climb of the day, maybe because of already-tired legs, and the fact I was taking fewer photo breaks on this stretch which had fewer dramatic cliffs surrounding it.
Climb to Pordoi, looking back
20160920 (60) Dolomites bike ride - Passo Pordoi and around.JPG

Passo Pordoi itself was dominated by a huge carpark and cable-car station as well as the normal summit hotels and shops. I stopped briefly at a small museum of the First World War battles in these mountains between Italy and Austro-Hungary, awful battles of attrition among the high pinnacles and glaciers, truly dreadful stuff of a time when European fought European.

And then finally it was the last descent to Canazei and Campitello and Mrs rjh and the dogs. The sun had gone in and I really felt the coldness of the air at descending speeds and regretted my choice of fingerless gloves.
The way down from Passo Pordoi
20160920 (65) Dolomites bike ride - Passo Pordoi and around.JPG

We've been staying for a couple of days in the Dolomites in Italy, and yesterday I went out for a circular ride that goes around the Sella massif. The Dolomites consist of a number of such massifs, great irruptions of rock that present sheer cliffs on all sides and broken, jagged peaks, and from the high roads you can often look over to several of these mountain groups at one time. It was a ride that wasn't too long horizontally, at 70km, but made up for that with around 2000m of climbing and absolute tons of character.
I started from Campitello, a rather touristy village in the Fassa Valley, and started to climb at Canazei, around 1450m above sea level.The first stop was at the Sella Pass (2244m), facing the peaks of the Rosengarten Group.
on the climb to the Passo Sella

Well done on such a tough route.Wether and the season changing now. I did Ventoux recewntly and was OK in short, short sleeves, and fingerless gloves. I had a gilet in case for the descent but did not need.

Can appreciate this effort

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Just back from a jaunt down the lanes. Started off in bright sunshine and ended getting back home jusg before the heavens opened. Just over 10 miles today down the B4404. Took a right turn up yet another previously unknown lane. Lots pheasants jumping out of hedges and running all over the road.
20160921_114537.jpg
20160921_114013.jpg
20160921_121910.jpg

20160921_115213.jpg

Alex H

Legendary Member
Back to the Canal du Midi, where we left it on Monday to start today's ride.

Boat load of oldies (:whistle:) taking a trip down the canal.

P9210013.jpg

There are smaller boats too, but we were really surprised at the lack of craft at this time of year.

P9210014.jpg

For those of you who like to complain about cyclists not returning 'hello' or 'bonjour' in our case, really ought to visit this part of France. The locals are the most miserable bunch we've ever come across. All the tourist on hire bikes or with paniers / trailers all responded.

Our intention was to go West along the canal to Villefranche-de-Lauragais and then turn North into the countryside. This plan was upset by 2 problems. 1. You can't see the town from the canal (at least it wasn't where I thought it should be:rolleyes:) and 2. there are no direction signs on any of the roads that cross the canal, so you have no idea where you are really. The locks are all numbered though, so that's helpful :smile:. I realised that we should go no further than the crossing where the canal goes under the motorway, so we changed direction at this point and ended up in Saint Rome, where there appears to be an enormous chateau and the smallest Mairie we've ever seen (Photo from Jack Ma - French Wikipedia)

Strome_mairie.jpg

These are the fields just before Saint Rome.

P9210015.jpg

Going away from the canal of course means going up and it was a bit tedious getting to Montgaillard-Lauragais, where we stopped for lunch. No seats of course, had to make do with a low wall around the Mairie.

This is the church tower.

P9210016.jpg

This part of the country seems even more empty than where we live, it was so quiet with very little traffic - at this point we were cycling along an escarpment so had views on either side for many kms.

P9210017.jpg

P9210018.jpg

Route
Screenshot from 2016-09-21 14-42-24.png

50km in 2 hrs 50 min

507m of climbing included 200m of walking that hill back to the gite :laugh:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After being a good boy and fitting a shower pump this morning, I found myself with an hour to kill before the kids got home from school so a quick spin around Virginia Water Lake. Got the timing about right for that, but coming home managed to hit the school mum traffic, so a bit busier than normal.
For my good behaviour this morning I was rewarded by being allowed to clean out all the guttering..

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Tired after my Pyrenean adventure I joined Margaret P-R, Julian H, Phil G and Peter M in Upton for a social pedal. Fladbury was the call so we took the standard run out to the Combertons and by Charlton to Craycombe Farm for coffee and soup. There had been no rush in the riding nor any at the cafe. Just a pleasant potter.

The potter continued as we rode back over the old airfield and by the ford. Jules peeled off after Pirton as did Phil at Earl's Croome. Pete headed for his car in Upton while M and I headed for Malvern. M was after a few extra miles so turned homeward near Danemoor X. I got back just as the rain decided to get going. Nice little (53 mile) leg loosener for me.

13 rider

Guru
Tonight's ride was a blatant strava segment chasing .On Sunday I lost one of my three Koms so today was an attempt to get it back . So on with my lights and off on a local loop .Thurcaston to Cropston and back to Anstey in full flat out mode bit windy but as it a loop I did get a bit off a tailwind on the last stretch but it was a headwind up the first climb . Got home and uploaded and I managed to equal the Kom so we're sharing for now . Managed 8 minutes 12 seconds a full 2 seconds faster than last time . But still think there's a bit more to come on a perfect day but not much .

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
For those of you who like to complain about cyclists not returning 'hello' or 'bonjour' in our case, really ought to visit this part of France. The locals are the most miserable bunch we've ever come across. All the tourist on hire bikes or with paniers / trailers all responded.

I wonder if it's just a cultural thing, in France, Belgium and the Netherlands drivers don't seem to acknowledge eachother for giving way etc...

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Commuting miles as normal.
Monday: Got stung by a wasp on the way in. It got into my helmet then as I pulled over to take the thing off it dropped down the neck of my t-shirt and stung me in the middle of my back. That smarted a bit.:cry:

Tuesday: I used the Raleigh and enjoyed a fast run in to work then kept up a similar pace on the short route home in the afternoon. I had a little panic on the way back when something hit me in the face and then sat on my glasses. Fortunately it was just a fly this time but I've left a 20 foot long skid mark from my sudden stop to find out.:shy:
16.1 mph average for the round trip.:addict:

Today: My brother was going to join me for the long version of the ride in but was feeling a little off colour and couldn't face it.:sad: I went the long way anyway and as always enjoyed the change of routine. No incident to report which is always good. In a quiet period at work I tinkered with the bike (knockabout bike today as the forecast was wet for later on) and think I've cured an annoying creak that has been getting on my nerves for a few weeks.

The threatened rain arrived while I was getting changed for the trip home but stopped when I'd got all of my waterproofs on and it stayed dry for the ride. Suits me.:okay: Not much to report on the way home apart from an Audi driver letting me across traffic, me disturbing a buzzard and having a creak free commute which was very nice.

28.1 miles at a reasonable average for this bike of 13.9mph.

DSC0003925.jpg

On the way in. Sunny where I am but there is mist and some threatening looking cloud to the south. If Doug had joined me for this trip he would have ridden into the rain on his way back.

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
A shade over 42 pancake flat miles down the coast and back from Folkestone to Dungerness and back with @Hill Wimp. Lemon sole dish with a nice pint of doombar,(cheers Hills), at the halfway mark went down a treat.
Carried on for a trip to the folks then back home but met a couple doing a london to Paris charity ride who were on their way to catch the ferry. I rode with them to the port and by the time I got home had clocked up another 16 miles.

58 miles all done in our characteristicly glorious sunshine.:bicycle::dance:

Top Bottom