Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I think I already have, give or take a turn or two :smile:

its quite surprising how far you can get about without touching roads sometimes

https://www.strava.com/activities/721457711/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1474573533

Tonight was the last Skyride social towards Beaulieu. The biggest turn out at 9 riders and a couple of us leaders.

IMG_3293.JPG

The Autumn is here officialy.

IMG_3295.JPG

The other leaders.

It's become very popular, so we're moving it to Sunday afternoons.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Alex H

Legendary Member
Last day in the Aude and very :sun: so a short ride before lunch at our host's restaurant.

Back to the Canal du Midi, just after Avignonet-Lauragais

Map of the canal

P9230020.jpg

Bridge taking D80 over the canal

P9230021.jpg

Remember, it's a shared path :rolleyes:

P9230022.jpg

More oldies on a tourist trip

P9230023.jpg

The A61 motorway runs very close to the canal in this area (within 50m at times) and the traffic noise is very noticeable. However, not as bad as the express train that snuck up on us on the way back along the D813. :eek: I imagine if you were camping, you'd have to find a site a fair way south of the canal each day.

Route

Screenshot from 2016-09-23 14-34-03.png

31km in 1hr 40mins with 225m of climbing (Failed yet again to beat that hill :sad:)

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
Time for a break from squabbling about helmets and 4x4's :rolleyes:.
Up onto the Cotswold escarpment from Gloucester, trying to do more hills much as I dislike them (puff, pant). Through Painswick and Stroud, over the motorway and back up to Gloucester skimming the River Severn at one point. What fantastic weather for a week away from October, made the most of it, 32 miles and 1,200 ft of climbing is a fair bit for me.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
The Sun was :sun: and I needed a couple of light bulbs that are not stocked by the supermarkets, so off to Screwfix in Thornbury, by a slightly convoluted route that takes in a few more hills than necessary.

(When I say 'hills', bear in mind that this is on the fairly flat land to the west of the Cotswold scarp, so not really 'hills' in any true sense of the word!).

So, off along the lanes to Huntingford and Damery, up the steep hill to Tortworth, then up the hill beyond that, across to Cromhall, Tytherington, Itchington, edges of Alveston, Thornbury, then back via Millbury Heath and Cromhall again.

Sky blue with little puffy white clouds, quiet lanes, leafy hedges, sun-dappled shady tunnels through the woods (and no idiot drivers). :wahhey:

https://www.strava.com/activities/721150742

10 PRs! Slow by some standards, but beating so many of my previous times just topped off the ride nicely.

No pics, sadly.

A nice route, that ! I did some of the southern parts of that route on Wednesday and most mornings I can be found tackling Shellard's Lane Westbound.

Archeress

Veteran
Today was an important day, my friend (S) is going for her gender reassignment surgery in November and has been told she must not cycle for a certain time before the surgery so today was her last ride for a considerable time. S turned 70 this year and only started leisure cycling this year at my instigation, she started by riding with me and also riding the novice rides with my club Stokes Cycling Club. S has slowly increased her mileage and today wanted to make her last ride to the cafe at Warmley Waiting Rooms on the Bristol - Bath Railway Path.

We set out in gorgeous sunshine about mid morning riding towards the UWE (University of West of England) where I planned a coffee stop. Okay it was only 3.5 miles in but I wanted the ride to be leisurely and memorable. I knew the cafe at the architecture block had tables outside so we could sit with the bikes without locking them up. The little square outside was a sun trap and we were lovely and warm while drinking our Lattes.

We eventually moved on to cycle through the campus and then descended through Stoke Park (for those who aren't Bristolians but do travel into Bristol by the M32, Stoke Park is the lovely parkland by the big yellow house up on the hill West of the M32). Cycling more city bound we rode along the river and into Eastville Park before then following the route of the M32 on cycle paths. We soon had to depart from this route when we were less than a mile from the city centre and navigate over to the very beginning of the Railway Path.

S had never ridden the Railway Path and had not known what to expect, so it was to her pleasure to find that it was a fully tarmacced path. S often wondered where she was as the path is often quite hidden from the surrounding landscape, and every so often I would hear from behind me, "oh, I know where I am now!" as we came out into more open landscapes.

All too soon we arrived at Warmley and locked the bikes up and found a table in the sun. We order Bacon Rolls (on Brioche Buns no less!) and a drink each and just luxuriated in the sun. S was quite interested in the accessible cycling project for people with disabilities based at Warmley Waiting Rooms as her wife is considerably disabled, but by the time we'd eaten, the project had closed. We posed for a photo in front of the little cafe building which had it's windows taped up in preparation for the blitz (the Avon Valley Railway based at Bitton, a couple of miles further down the path, has a 1940's event this weekend).

We had a quick look at the old signal box before mounting the bikes again for the homeward trip. We joined the ring road path and made good time. Arriving at the Hambrook / Frenchay lights I gave S a variety of options for the homeward trip, and S decided on the longest. We headed for the UWE campus again, dipping under the M32 on a quiet road and then on through to Abbey Wood. We passed by Bristol Parkway Station and headed through all the parks around the Stokes.

All in, almost 26 miles, S longest ride since she started leisure riding, and must have been almost 20 miles on traffic free cycle paths.

Strava here: https://www.strava.com/activities/722116502

20160923124024.JPG

20160923124324.JPG

Hugs
Archeress x

With it being a little while since last decent length ride, I was due one.

At first I used route set on the Garmin website and the next Garmin 820. However it led me astray. So had to improvise, went southwards over White Down, and Leith Hill, then tuned back and did them in the northerly direction ( the harder one).

Got a PB on Leith Hill.

Overall 60.3 miles at a meagre 14.4 mph.
3212 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/722104383

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Today was an important day, my friend (S) is going for her gender reassignment surgery in November and has been told she must not cycle for a certain time before the surgery so today was her last ride for a considerable time. S turned 70 this year and only started leisure cycling this year at my instigation, she started by riding with me and also riding the novice rides with my club Stokes Cycling Club. S has slowly increased her mileage and today wanted to make her last ride to the cafe at Warmley Waiting Rooms on the Bristol - Bath Railway Path.

Hugs
Archeress x

Fab café that one, found in the pouring rain when I did the B2B path earlier this year. Nice coffee, nice cake and very friendly staff.

Archeress

Veteran
Fab café that one, found in the pouring rain when I did the B2B path earlier this year. Nice coffee, nice cake and very friendly staff.
We got chatting to a chap with a Brompton who lives and works in London. He travels to Bath by train several times a year just to ride the path to Templemeads and visit the cafe at Warmly.

Hugs
Archeress x

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Nice ride out yesterday morning, chilly enough for arm warmers but a steady 24 mile route around my usual haunts of Chobham and Lightwater. My reward was the opportunity to remove 15ft of overgrown (and largely dead) honeysuckle from the garden as it was falling into the pond. That was my afternoon, and SWMBO was clearly pleased at the 3 large piles of garden rubbish that needs to go to the dump over the weekend (when I'm working..).
This morning I must have felt odd, as I cleared the rubbish into sacks ready to go to the dump (can't take it myself as they class my campervan as a trade vehicle until I get the right permit for it), then cut the grass. Must be the late sunshine.
Afternoon spin out up Prune Hill faster than before, and 1 minute faster than 6 months ago, before a WGP loop and a sneak back through the Wentworth estate to see how the other half lives. 17 miles done.
Day off tomorrow as I'm taking my Cub pack to ZSL London to celebrate 100 years of Cub Scouts.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
A nice route, that ! I did some of the southern parts of that route on Wednesday and most mornings I can be found tackling Shellard's Lane Westbound.
Have you just followed me on Strava? (Can't always match up CC names with Strava names, and I'm not sure I got your surname when we did the Bristol ride.)

Top Bottom