Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
A shade over 42 pancake flat miles down the coast and back from Folkestone to Dungerness and back with @Hill Wimp. Lemon sole dish with a nice pint of doombar,(cheers Hills), at the halfway mark went down a treat.
Carried on for a trip to the folks then back home but met a couple doing a london to Paris charity ride who were on their way to catch the ferry. I rode with them to the port and by the time I got home had clocked up another 16 miles.

58 miles all done in our characteristicly glorious sunshine.:bicycle::dance:
20160921_110040.jpg
20160921_114122.jpg
20160921_124727.jpg
20160921_133820.jpg

Huge empty sandy beaches, big sound mirrors, rather nice lunch and a little train.

Was the usual gloriously warm sunshine mentioned:tongue:

Alex H

Legendary Member
I wonder if it's just a cultural thing, in France, Belgium and the Netherlands drivers don't seem to acknowledge eachother for giving way etc...

Not a problem where I live (Haute Vienne) everyone responds :smile:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Just another quick scoot out into the greenery and back after work and before tea, enlivened by two MGIF nobbers who both exceeded the speed limit to get past me, then braked and turned left...:rolleyes:

Although there was some fun to be had passing a group of young lads on MTBs / BSO's who first called out "I bet that's fast" (I was on the Pro Carbon), followed by "Race you mate". Well, it would have been rude not to...;):laugh:

7.07 miles (11.38km) in 25m 41s at an average of 16.5mph, with a mere 269ft climbed

Oh, and two more things I learned today:
1) It's getting a bit gloomy for wearing my sunnies on post work rides now.:becool:
2) I really need to find my CREE front light and get it charged...

Heres a map:
21092016.JPG

And a pic:
IMG_20160921_180220510_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Commuting miles as normal.
Monday: Got stung by a wasp on the way in. It got into my helmet then as I pulled over to take the thing off it dropped down the neck of my t-shirt and stung me in the middle of my back. That smarted a bit.:cry:

Tuesday: I used the Raleigh and enjoyed a fast run in to work then kept up a similar pace on the short route home in the afternoon. I had a little panic on the way back when something hit me in the face and then sat on my glasses. Fortunately it was just a fly this time but I've left a 20 foot long skid mark from my sudden stop to find out.:shy:
16.1 mph average for the round trip.:addict:

Today: My brother was going to join me for the long version of the ride in but was feeling a little off colour and couldn't face it.:sad: I went the long way anyway and as always enjoyed the change of routine. No incident to report which is always good. In a quiet period at work I tinkered with the bike (knockabout bike today as the forecast was wet for later on) and think I've cured an annoying creak that has been getting on my nerves for a few weeks.

The threatened rain arrived while I was getting changed for the trip home but stopped when I'd got all of my waterproofs on and it stayed dry for the ride. Suits me.:okay: Not much to report on the way home apart from an Audi driver letting me across traffic, me disturbing a buzzard and having a creak free commute which was very nice.

28.1 miles at a reasonable average for this bike of 13.9mph.

View attachment 144888
On the way in. Sunny where I am but there is mist and some threatening looking cloud to the south. If Doug had joined me for this trip he would have ridden into the rain on his way back.
I think you've had your quota of wasp stings for a while!!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A ride today that eventually put a smile on my face, totalling 113 miles:

https://www.strava.com/activities/720241612

I had to be home mid afternoon to take my daughter to a music lesson and dispose of two gas fires I ripped out yesterday at the local tip. During the enforced stop there was a bit of cloudburst, after which the air was much clearer and the final 29 mile loop seemed to fly by. Up to that point, although it was a glorious, if slightly hazy, late summer day in the Cotswolds, it had been heavier going. The views were gorgeous throughout, and I think I've found my optimal route northwards out of the Cotswold Water Park.

My new shoe plates didn't work very well. I always had to click the left foot into place with my hand. OK once I'd got used to it.

In the last two weeks I've made an almost miraculous adjustment to my diet, largely losing the desire to eat bad sweet things and reducing portion sizes. And most importantly, making it stick, feeling better as a result and losing several pounds. Having spent a lifetime overeating and relying on burning it off, a strategy which worked OK at times, how I'm feeling now is quite a revelation. Getting on the bike for the first time, I got a few confusing messages, often feeling weak and urgently needing to eat. However, on the steepest climb of the day, one I know well, I seemed to skip up remarkably easily - Strava confirms this. So it's looking promising.

Regarding my admittedly marginal type II diabetes, there may have been a very quick result from to the reduced sugar intake. For the first time I can remember I never had to make an emergency stop. It seems the penny has finally dropped.

Nice pacy roll in today and much nicer weather wise too;just a blast down the A10 and in to Cambridge via Waterbeach and Fen Ditton.

No Strava cups but a good average so those S-Ones are doing their job:smile:;

https://www.strava.com/activities/720750471

Second breakfast at the Espresso Library:cuppa::hungry:;

IMG_20160922_071118999.jpg

And then a roll down Mill Road to work;

https://www.strava.com/activities/720750452

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
The Sun was :sun: and I needed a couple of light bulbs that are not stocked by the supermarkets, so off to Screwfix in Thornbury, by a slightly convoluted route that takes in a few more hills than necessary.

(When I say 'hills', bear in mind that this is on the fairly flat land to the west of the Cotswold scarp, so not really 'hills' in any true sense of the word!).

So, off along the lanes to Huntingford and Damery, up the steep hill to Tortworth, then up the hill beyond that, across to Cromhall, Tytherington, Itchington, edges of Alveston, Thornbury, then back via Millbury Heath and Cromhall again.

Sky blue with little puffy white clouds, quiet lanes, leafy hedges, sun-dappled shady tunnels through the woods (and no idiot drivers). :wahhey:

https://www.strava.com/activities/721150742

10 PRs! Slow by some standards, but beating so many of my previous times just topped off the ride nicely.

No pics, sadly.

gavgav

Guru
Been back at work for 4 days, after my 2 week break and feeling fed up, so out for a short ride to pick myself up.

Out through the estate, dodging the ruddy roadworks that appear like a yo-yo on the nearby main road, then through Reabrook. Had just crossed the railway bridge, when pedals jammed. Wobbled to a stop and the chain had dropped off the end of the cassette :angry:. I can only assume that the derailleur has been moved during transit of the bike back from Wales, in my car last weekend, as the gears were clunky as well. Managed to free it and get it back on, and it didn't come off again, but I was left with oily hands for the rest of the ride, improved a bit with a tissue!

Followed the cycle paths up to Heathgates, then down to the River Severn and along the Towpath into the Quarry. Couldn't believe how busy both the Towpath and Quarry were, with people making the most of a dry and sunny evening before the nights draw in much more, including cyclists, runners, walkers and a game of rounders that was taking place. One slight moment, worse for the chap coming the other way, when two dogs were charging around off their leads and causing mayhem, causing him to swerve and just about avoid them fetching him off.

Crossed Porthill Bridge and then headed through Copthorne, Nobold and Meole Brace, before dicing with the traffic and roadworks to get home again.

11.1 miles at 11.1 mph avg! I like symmetry ^_^

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
After a few shorter strolls over the last week, my walk today was initially 6 miles over to a mate's house to drink coffee and eat a Belgium Bun. Luckily, the clouds in the distance dropped rain a mile or so away, and I only got slightly drizzled on. Quite refreshing, actually!

IMG_20160922_143110.jpg

From there he dropped me into town (hence the straight line on the route) to deliver a big tub of 'Celebrations' for the wonderful staff on Singlehurst Ward at the hospital that did my eye op a short while ago.
After walking through Becketts Park and past Barnes Meadow I was on the path alongside the Nene and the Washlands is a bit boring as it's dead straight for a mile or so, so I cut across to the weirs and then the Boat Club to alleviate the tedium. Once Riverside Retail, I grabbed a coke from McD's to up the sugar levels a bit for the last 3 or 4 miles home.

DSC_0434.JPG

Up the grassy knoll to Great Billing and within a mile or so of home.

Untitled.png

A most enjoyable 15 mile walk, with slightly aching feet this evening as I'm still breaking the new boots in..

:smile:

Top Bottom