Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Something a bit different for me today. @Rickshaw Phil was embarking on his century ride for the month and so his brother, sister and I decided to take our bikes up to Lake Vyrnwy, in Wales, to meet him and do some riding with him. We're nowhere near being able to ride 100 miles with him!!

Doug and Jen collected me at 9:30 and we loaded bikes onto the car, before heading off on the 1 hour 15 min journey to Vyrnwy.

We arrived at 11:00, with sunshine and light winds :dance: and whilst getting the bikes off the roof, Doug stood on the running board, on his car, to reach the bikes and it proceeded to shear off at the back joint!!! :eek:

We climbed up the steep bank from the car park, which wasn't too bad for me, but for Doug and Jen, who hadn't been out on bikes for 6 and 9 months respectively, it wasn't ideal!

We stopped at the junction for the Dam and waited for Phil, who had thought he would be arriving about now, and he appeared almost straight away, having already done one 11 mile circuit because he'd arrived early!

We decided to take the clockwise route around the lake and it was lovely riding along the flat lanes, with loads of cyclists about and nice weather.

Nothing really to write about, other than Jen leaving us standing with her speed at times! For someone who doesn't cycle a lot it was very impressive.

We arrived back at the dam, and had to avoid errant pedestrians and cyclists on the wrong side of the road as we rode across it!:banghead:

We decided to go back to the car and have our dinner sat in the sunshine in the Sculpture Park
image.jpg

Jen and Doug had had enough by now, but I was keen to do another lap of the lake and @Rickshaw Phil was up for it, so we headed back out and did the circuit in an anti-clockwise direction this time, going at a slightly quicker pace than the 1st lap. It seemed a bit more uphill in that direction, but nothing major and my Strava recording of over 2300 ft of climbing must be WAY out!!

We arrived back and found Phil's Mum and Dad returning from a walk. They had brought the dog up with them and Doug and Jen appeared back at the car, just after I had waved Phil off on his journey back home. The dog came back in the car with us which was entertaining. He seemed keen on joining Doug in the drivers seat :laugh:!

23.1 miles at 11.4mph avg and lots of fun

Bit grey and dreary this morning but a good brisk club ride nether the less;

https://www.strava.com/activities/279038866

gavgav

Guru
15 miles, into Barnstaple and back, to pick up a parcel from Royal Mail.
Dropped in to a couple of LBSs for a coffee and a new pair of gloves for Mrs DT for her birthday.
Warming up on the way back and the Tarka Trail is starting to become a game of 'Dodge the Grockle'.
Nearly had a head on with one stupid woman who was cycling along on the wrong side of the trail whilst taking photos of the estuary.
Much bell ringing had no effect. She only swerved to miss me after I had shouted at her. Honestly!!:banghead:
There were a few of them about in Lake Vyrnwy! No road sense at all.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7.2 miles my ride today, strapped for time after fixing the water heater, so I figured a 40 minute trip would do me, up to the trail, and return via countryside. Now baking an Easter Ham. I saw some farmers getting into the fields and starting to plow, and some company was out laying drainage pipes in the fields. Got up to 59F or 15C, and sunny, but with 15 mph winds, with 25 mph gusts.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
22 miles on Friday then 29 on Saturday. Friday's ride was grey and drizzly Saturday's was dry and semi sunny.

I haven't been out since Monday, so yesterday just did the Whitegate Way again (off-road route) which was unbelievably muddy and should be renamed to the Browngate Way really. It was also starting to get busy by the time we finished it in the early morning, so today we decided would be my first on-road day since I got the recumbent trike.

I planned a 13.5 mile route thinking my speed might be half as fast again on the road... :whistle: but there was something I had failed to take into account... out of the end of our lane, you have 2 options. Up or Up... the first up is a much longer up and what most cyclists around here use as hill climbing practice because it is all we have. the other up just goes to the main road and in to our local town 6 miles away, so I didn't really want that. So up the ridge and along it it was to be. Let's just say I was that slow, my OH actually got bored of talking to the cows at the top of the climb and came back to find me! One great feature of the trike is it doesn't matter how slow I am going provided I still go forwards... I can't fall off... yehhhhhh... this was helpful early on, because unlike all the other cyclists, I haven't had chance to warm up, this is my warm up. OK, I know, I am just slow. But on the bright side, I didn't run out of gear with the triple front derailleur now fully functional and the Rohloff hub.... so 3 * 14 gears to play with on a 30/42/50 front and 19T rear... yep - plenty of low gears on that you would think. :whistle: Anyhow, after that I had myself convicted it was all downhill until I had to climb up to get to our lane again, but a strava chart tells me otherwise now I have looked at it... Virtually all drivers were great. I say virtually all because one idiot did decide to overtake me on a blind left hand bend forcing the oncoming car to do an emergency stop (:eek:) and no kidding, some people are just unbelievable. Think I might have to work on the flag - my step father has suggested looking at man bouy flags which are meant to be very visible in rough seas... but tbh, with a really bright flashing rear light, hi-viz jacket surrounding a black seat (from the back), crutches and a flag... the car had clearly seen me and decided to overtake anyhow!

https://www.strava.com/activities/279519451 14.3 miles at ummm... yeh not going there. But it does seem that had I have been 3 minutes slower I could have qualified for s strava badge! Oh and today is exactly 5 months since my back went on me...

Oh - and no photos, it was a mixture of medium dense fog or hill cloud depending on where we were!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I haven't been out since Monday, so yesterday just did the Whitegate Way again (off-road route) which was unbelievably muddy and should be renamed to the Browngate Way really. It was also starting to get busy by the time we finished it in the early morning, so today we decided would be my first on-road day since I got the recumbent trike.

I planned a 13.5 mile route thinking my speed might be half as fast again on the road... :whistle: but there was something I had failed to take into account... out of the end of our lane, you have 2 options. Up or Up... the first up is a much longer up and what most cyclists around here use as hill climbing practice because it is all we have. the other up just goes to the main road and in to our local town 6 miles away, so I didn't really want that. So up the ridge and along it it was to be. Let's just say I was that slow, my OH actually got bored of talking to the cows at the top of the climb and came back to find me! One great feature of the trike is it doesn't matter how slow I am going provided I still go forwards... I can't fall off... yehhhhhh... this was helpful early on, because unlike all the other cyclists, I haven't had chance to warm up, this is my warm up. OK, I know, I am just slow. But on the bright side, I didn't run out of gear with the triple front derailleur now fully functional and the Rohloff hub.... so 3 * 14 gears to play with on a 30/42/50 front and 19T rear... yep - plenty of low gears on that you would think. :whistle: Anyhow, after that I had myself convicted it was all downhill until I had to climb up to get to our lane again, but a strava chart tells me otherwise now I have looked at it... Virtually all drivers were great. I say virtually all because one idiot did decide to overtake me on a blind left hand bend forcing the oncoming car to do an emergency stop (:eek:) and no kidding, some people are just unbelievable. Think I might have to work on the flag - my step father has suggested looking at man bouy flags which are meant to be very visible in rough seas... but tbh, with a really bright flashing rear light, hi-viz jacket surrounding a black seat (from the back), crutches and a flag... the car had clearly seen me and decided to overtake anyhow!

https://www.strava.com/activities/279519451 14.3 miles at ummm... yeh not going there. But it does seem that had I have been 3 minutes slower I could have qualified for s strava badge! Oh and today is exactly 5 months since my back went on me...

Oh - and no photos, it was a mixture of medium dense fog or hill cloud depending on where we were!
:bravo: Progress with every trip. Brilliant!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
After a few days of slacking, I have finally caught up on the ride reports!

Well there was one miserable bugger in Rutland, but the lady with him said hello so I let him off.
That's no way to talk about @totallyfixed ! :laugh:

Ok ... here is a 'prequel' of today's ride. The reason I am doing this is to force myself to do the b*st*rd climb at the 48 km point. By telling you that I am going to do it, I will avoid the extreme temptation of carrying on along the A646 into Hebden Bridge and cutting out the climb.

The climb in question is Church Lane/Mytholm Steeps. It AVERAGES 14% for 1.4 km, but includes steeper ramps, including a length of 25% towards the top when the old legs are already screaming for mercy!

Mytholm Steeps loop profile.gif

On my road bikes I have about about a 50% success rate on that climb. I have done emergency dismounts when my legs have packed up, another time when my rear wheel slid out in the rain, and one notable time when a total f*ckw*t driver overtook me on the 90 degree bend at the top and forced me onto the 40+% inside of the bend which caused me to do an involuntary trackstand and then topple sideways off the road!

I will be riding with Look cleats on my shoes and sticking a Look cleat down in a hurry on a 25% climb is likely to end in tears so I am feeling nervous about that hill. This, coming from someone who does steep climbs on nearly every ride, should tell you something about how hard it is. Still, nothing ventured, nothing broken, eh! :laugh:

The sadists among you may like to follow the Street view car up the climb and savour the agony that I have to come. Especially knowing that I will already have tackled lots of nasty stuff before I even get to this evil bugger. LINK.

I'll be back. Hopefully ... :whistle:

Top Bottom