Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
My ride today had a dual purpose. I was trying out a new pair of tyres, and I wanted to try a different ratio cassette. I normally use a 11-30 , I wanted to try out a 11-28. The ride was only supposed to be one of my local 12 mile loops, a route I have done many many times. I figured a route I new well would give me a chance to compare my ride today, against previous outings over the same route..... The first mile felt like oddly hard work. I even go off to check that my brakes were not binding. So, they were ok, and I got going again. Am I riding against the wind I thought, but there was no wind. Are my tyres under inflated I thought. Off I got again and used my portable pump, with pressure gauge, and all fine there. Away I went again, still feeling a certain 'drag' issue. I came to the one proper climb on my route. I changed down, and down and down the gears until my chain went off the block into the spokes, which half way up the hill, made me literally grind to a halt. At this point, I could have quite happily slung the bike over the hedge into a field. But what I actually did was fettle the chain back onto the rear gears, turned around and went home. Due to family commitments, I have yet to remove the afore mentioned tyres or cassette, but once off, they shall be ceremoniously cremated on the remains of this afternoons BBQ. :cursing: Happy holiday weekend everyone.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After yesterday's 30 miles causing me no issue, set off for 40 today on a nice quiet route out to Market Weighton, and back through some of the villages to Hull. The problem with this route is knowing that near the end I have to go up Brantingham Dale.

It all went well up to my "rest" point, a nice little area with a little bridge over a stream where I like to just spend a few minutes eating a cereal bar.

From there on a disaster! I seemed to lose all energy and struggled the remaining 12 miles, walking up the majority of Brantingham Dale and just not enjoying it. All I can think is that it was too much too soon as maybe I am still slightly infected.

Oh well, it's not going to stop me getting out tomorrow, just need to consider the route so I have a get out!

My ride today had a dual purpose. I was trying out a new pair of tyres, and I wanted to try a different ratio cassette. I normally use a 11-30 , I wanted to try out a 11-28. The ride was only supposed to be one of my local 12 mile loops, a route I have done many many times. I figured a route I new well would give me a chance to compare my ride today, against previous outings over the same route..... The first mile felt like oddly hard work. I even go off to check that my brakes were not binding. So, they were ok, and I got going again. Am I riding against the wind I thought, but there was no wind. Are my tyres under inflated I thought. Off I got again and used my portable pump, with pressure gauge, and all fine there. Away I went again, still feeling a certain 'drag' issue. I came to the one proper climb on my route. I changed down, and down and down the gears until my chain went off the block into the spokes, which half way up the hill, made me literally grind to a halt. At this point, I could have quite happily slung the bike over the hedge into a field. But what I actually did was fettle the chain back onto the rear gears, turned around and went home. Due to family commitments, I have yet to remove the afore mentioned tyres or cassette, but once off, they shall be ceremoniously cremated on the remains of this afternoons BBQ. :cursing: Happy holiday weekend everyone.
Likes for the reports, but :sad: for the issues in both cases. Hope you get on better next time.:okay:

A lovely 142Km C2C ride for me today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/279787597

image.jpg
image.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
There is a new cycling cafe/shop opened in Saffron Walden since Thursday, I'd thought I'd take a look. I asked My lad if he fancied a ride, he said yes. Last night I got to thinking that it might be a bit too far for him, it gets a bit rolling going out that way. His longest ride to date is 24 miles. I don't want to put him off!
So we set out at 9, and within 10 minutes we'd flushed a barn owl from a road side tree. It flew down along the shallow valley toward Boxworth.
After Elsworth it was the first hill for Thomas. His gear selection was bang on and he made the top with cogs to spare. Reed Buntings were the next birds to stand out, but in hedges...:laugh:. Up Graveley hill and on To Croxton, then past the closed Waresley garden centre. We turned back in an easterly direction at Gamlingay.
image.jpg

Just after this pic I pinged a stone from my front tyre that hit the boy in the leg! Genius. Minutes later his rear light fell off! Not my doing.
I then took him up Old Wimpole hill, that sorted him out! He made it fine with a couple of gears to spare. We got home and Mrs Dave was in full domestic goddess mode....... So I buggered off after a sandwich . 41 miles done.
The Rock and roll life of college Head Gardener isn't all glamour, and today and tomorrow is my turn to water, so I rolled in to town...
image.jpg

The window boxes were planted up on Wednesday, I'm glad it's not too sunny, only took me 10 minutes. I went out of town in the direction of Fulbourn, at 55 miles my legs felt awful. I soldiered on and stopped outside Dullingham for 2 mins to watch 2 hares boxing.
Eventually I reached Saffron Walden and this new caf. I was greeted outside by 2 really friendly staff, who locked my bike for me in their rack. "How far have you come?" They asked, "80 miles and I need some fuel", the younger lad said " how does mushroom soup and a sausage roll sound?", who was I to refuse? Along with a pot of Earl Grey I was refreshed!
image.jpg

I now had the simple task of doing a portion of the TdF route in reverse, but I went forwards if you get my drift.
So at 9am this morning I wasnt thinking of this ride, but it all just fell into place.
My AApril century done (regardless of what @Supersuperleeds posts below :tongue:)
100.02 miles average speed 14.4mph.
Jolly good! I have a chocolate egg in front of me.....

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
There is a new cycling cafe/shop opened in Saffron Walden since Thursday, I'd thought I'd take a look. I asked My lad if he fancied a ride, he said yes. Last night I got to thinking that it might be a bit too far for him, it gets a bit rolling going out that way. His longest ride to date is 24 miles. I don't want to put him off!
So we set out at 9, and within 10 minutes we'd flushed a barn owl from a road side tree. It flew down along the shallow valley toward Boxworth.
After Elsworth it was the first hill for Thomas. His gear selection was bang on and he made the top with cogs to spare. Reed Buntings were the next birds to stand out, but in hedges...:laugh:. Up Graveley hill and on To Croxton, then past the closed Waresley garden centre. We turned back in an easterly direction at Gamlingay.
View attachment 84776
Just after this pic I pinged a stone from my front tyre that hit the boy in the leg! Genius. Minutes later his rear light fell off! Not my doing.
I then took him up Old Wimpole hill, that sorted him out! He made it fine with a couple of gears to spare. We got home and Mrs Dave was in full domestic goddess mode....... So I buggered off after a sandwich . 41 miles done.
The Rock and roll life of college Head Gardener isn't all glamour, and today and tomorrow is my turn to water, so I rolled in to town...
View attachment 84779
The window boxes were planted up on Wednesday, I'm glad it's not too sunny, only took me 10 minutes. I went out of town in the direction of Fulbourn, at 55 miles my legs felt awful. I soldiered on and stopped outside Dullingham for 2 mins to watch 2 hares boxing.
Eventually I reached Saffron Walden and this new caf. I was greeted outside by 2 really friendly staff, who locked my bike for me in their rack. "How far have you come?" They asked, "80 miles and I need some fuel", the younger lad said " how does mushroom soup and a sausage roll sound?", who was I to refuse? Along with a pot of Earl Grey I was refreshed!
View attachment 84780

I now had the simple task of doing a portion of the TdF route in reverse, but I went forwards if you get my drift.
So at 9am this morning I wasnt thinking of this ride, but it all just fell into place.
My AApril century done (regardless of what @Supersuperleeds posts below :tongue:)
100.02 miles average speed 14.4mph.
Jolly good! I have a chocolate egg in front of me.....

Well done...........

(Can't post smilies on the tablet otherwise you would have got the big grin one)

Well after months of thinking about it I bought myself a Quella ss/fixed this week and as the planets seem to have all aligned the weather has improved since I bought it on Thursday . So I finally managed to get out and do a nice 19 miles today. I was surprised how little I missed gears although the route wasn't very hilly. I have to say the bike rides very smooth and very quiet and bull horn bars are so comfy.
The weather's looking good for the rest of the week so looking forward to getting out and putting in the miles.
image.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
No w*rk today, but I had Easter stuff to do this morning with the grandchildren, ie Easter Egg hunts in the house and garden plus pleasantries with the family for our 26th Wedding Anniversary(yesterday).
Once this was over, and I'd walked back home with Mrs Pete I had arranged with a mate to pop out for a ride once he was also clear of his obligations.
We had until about 17:00 ish to ourselves so decided to ride towards Market Harborough and then turn back to Brixworth and do half a circuit of Pitsford reservoir.
Had we ridden down the western side of the res instead of the eastern side, we'd have met up with another chap and his family out for the day, but as it was, I didn't know until I saw his FB posts.. So it goes....

5thApril2015.jpg

DSC_0756.JPG

We parted ways in Moulton Village at about 16:30 to get back home in time for a nice roast dinner. (after cleaning the bike and testing few bottles of ale :okay: )

Back home on 38 miles, giving me 104 for the week.. Quite happy with that..

https://www.strava.com/activities/279735626

:smile:

Last edited:
Decided to try and get this months imperial century done early. So waited until it got light and seeing the roads were fairly dry I decided to use the road bike.

Weather forecast aid light northerly winds, warm and dry but cloudy. So I decided to head north of Leicester. Hit three counties, Leicestershire obviously, the county of @totallyfixed aka Rutland and I dipped my toe in Lincolnshire (saw the county sign, road by it and then turned around and carried on my route ^_^).

The wind was stronger than I expected, especially going east or north and it rained a few times as well, also it was cold to start with.

For the first 40 miles or so I saw no one, and then for the next 40 miles I saw stacks of cyclists out, and just for @ianrauk everyone replied back to my cheerful hello :hello:

Rode lots of new roads, some of them very muddy, especially around Belvoir Castle way, 106 miles done and completely knackered.

https://www.strava.com/activities/278981319
As it happens we were out that way, it would have been around 2 - 2.30 in the Belvoir Castle area, easily recognisable as of course we are on fixed but also because the bikes are fairly unique, add to that we both wear caps or beanies so fairly unforgettable.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I changed down, and down and down the gears until my chain went off the block into the spokes, which half way up the hill, made me literally grind to a halt. At this point, I could have quite happily slung the bike over the hedge into a field. But what I actually did was fettle the chain back onto the rear gears, turned around and went home. Due to family commitments, I have yet to remove the afore mentioned tyres or cassette, but once off, they shall be ceremoniously cremated on the remains of this afternoons BBQ. :cursing: Happy holiday weekend everyone.
Take a very close look at the spokes on the cassette side where the chain got jammed. A friend did that to one of his wheels and broke some spokes. He replaced the broken spokes and then sold me the wheels for a bargain price. £50 for a pair of Mavic Aksiums that had only done a couple of hundred miles ...

I did a forum ride to Blackpool on those wheels and another one of the spokes snapped where the chain had damaged it. (Neither my pal nor I had noticed the damage, but it was obvious when I looked at the broken spoke.) The wheel went so out of true that I didn't want to risk trying to ride it back, so I returned by train instead.

Ok ... here is my report for this ride today ...

My route was: Hebden Bridge, Keighley Road to Pecket Well, Old Town, Midgley, Jerusalem Lane, Booth, Solomon Hill, Luddenden Foot, Jerry Fields Road/Brocks, Sowerby village, Hubberton Green, Steep Lane, top part of climb from Cragg Vale to Blackstone Edge, descent to BSE Old Road, Old Road through Lydgate, Littleborough, Caldermoor, Calderbrook, Walsden, Lumbutts, Mankinholes, A646 back to Hebden Bridge, EVIL CLIMB of Church Lane/Mytholm Steeps, Blackshaw Head, Jack Bridge, Colden, Slack, Draper Lane/Lee Wood Road, Heptonstall Road, Hebden Bridge.

60 km/37 miles and loads of hard climbing.

It was a great day out in sunny conditions, with none of the recent killer winds to contend with. The climbs just did the damage instead ...

I was caught out by the severity of the climbs, the duration of the ride and the warm temperatures. I only had one bottle with me (OJ + water) and took no food. I drank the bottle dry and started fantasising about food and drink on the run back along the A646. I know from past experience that that is usually the first hint that I am close to bonking. If I had not taken the precaution of telling you lot that I was going to do that killer climb I would have rushed straight home and stuffed my face. Instead, I turned left onto Church Lane as planned ...

As you can tell by my post this afternoon, I was intimidated before I even got onto the climb, which you can see looming up as soon as you turn onto Church Lane. My memory told me that the first 3/4 of the climb was quite tough, but that only the steepest bit was really hard. In fact, it gets nasty immediately as it ramps up several times even before you get to the 25% section. I soon realised that I was going to have a very hard time ...

I winched my way to the foot of the steep bit with an impatient motorist close behind me, so I started to pull into a bridleway on my left to let him by. He shot past before I even got there so any feeble excuse for stopping had gone. Instead of stopping, I manned up, leapt out of the saddle, stomped on the pedals, and shot up the 25% ramp as if I were Boonen or Cancellara making a decisive attack on a climb towards the end of Flanders! :becool:

Dream on .. In reality, I looked up the ramp, gulped, and gave it a go, but my mind had failed even before my legs did! Another bloody car forced its way past me and I realised that I couldn't even risk zigzagging to decrease the effective gradient. I couldn't risk an emergency dismount higher up either, so I did a controlled one instead while I still could! I had only managed 1/3 of that final ramp. Score for the climb: ColinJ 3 Mytholm Steeps 4! :sad:

So near, yet so far!

Mytholm Steeps - so near but so far.jpg

This is the vicious bend that I mentioned being squeezed inside on a previous ride, resulting in a fall ...

Mytholm Steeps - swing wide for evil bend.jpg

So, a bit of a reality check! I used to use my weight as an excuse for struggling on climbs, but I can only sensibly lose another 3 or 4 kilos without losing much-needed muscle. It is fitness that I am lacking. I can't even use my illness of a couple of years ago as an excuse either because it was my legs and back that failed me, not my heart and lungs.

So a good, tough ride, but I will give 'The Steeps' a miss for another few months while I try and get fit enough to stand a realistic chance of getting all the way up the climb.

PS I was right about the dangers of Look cleats slipping on that steep road surface. I slipped sideways as I walked across the road to take my photos and nearly took a heavy fall! :eek:

MikeW-71

Veteran
I could not have asked for a better day than today :biggrin:

I had my doubts though as I set off through the mist and fog to drive to Kielder lake, but it all disappeared as if by magic and a lake bathed in cloudless sunshine was presented to me. What joy! Hmm, I don't have any suncream with me...... Tough, onwards and upwards!

For a starter, I headed off up the Osprey Trail, their blue graded one (parts of it are borderline red if you ask me!) which is lovely, once you get past the seemingly endless fire road climbing. Some very tough singletrack climbs of 15%+ which I mostly completed OK and I was still feeling good and strong when suddenly I had run out of Osprey!

10 miles done, turning right would take me a couple of miles back to the start. So, I turned left and set off around the lake :biggrin: Loads and loads of people out walking and cycling taking full advantage of the weather. I went all touristy and stopped for photos of some of the artwork, a bite to eat at Robins Hut and worked my way round to the dam. Crossed the dam into a headwind, and paused there to change the GoPro battery and memory card.

Only a short hop now to my lunch stop at Tower Knowe, lovely cafe and I highly recommend their homemade tomato and mushroom soup. That with a bread roll, a chocolate scone and a nice coffee and I was raring to go again. For all this trail goes around a lake, there's a hell of a lot of climbing involved, but a final snack stop at Freyas Cabin (there's a little story about her and Robin) and I plugged on to get back to the castle. From there, it's two steep climbs to get to the car park (but of course!) and I've nailed my first 50 for the month with 32 miles on the clock. Cracking! :biggrin:

Osprey takes you away from the lake before looping back.
16858218540_c9c477b5f9_c.jpg

Three large swivel chairs.
16858220330_584eb34763_c.jpg

Robins Hut.
16423311164_388f4a8799_c.jpg

Freyas Cabin. Robins Hut is directly across the lake from it.
17045764935_cd5b23f803_c.jpg

http://app.strava.com/activities/279812402

Top Bottom