Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just the usual 20 miler route. Meet the same cyclist twice and met a pedestrian who has met me before on one of my other bikes, so had a stop for a chat. Was OK earlier on, but my strength failed me later on in the ride. :sad: not sure what happened there.

Anyhow, just the 1 [photo from before the sunshine disappeared...

IMG_3337.JPG

20.5 miles in an undeclared slowness... https://www.strava.com/activities/300376504

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Just the usual 20 miler route. Meet the same cyclist twice and met a pedestrian who has met me before on one of my other bikes, so had a stop for a chat. Was OK earlier on, but my strength failed me later on in the ride. :sad: not sure what happened there.

Anyhow, just the 1 [photo from before the sunshine disappeared...

View attachment 88265

20.5 miles in an undeclared slowness... https://www.strava.com/activities/300376504
Nice pic. Reminds me of one of the desktop backgrounds that Windows did..........maybe still do??

I felt like I started off well today too and then struggled later. Did get very chilly so maybe that didn't help.

SpaCyclist

Rather than today's ride this is yesterday's ride along Wharfedale to Ilkley, up to the cow and Calf rocks and back through the outskirts of Leeds and Thorner.

The weather started off dry, but I had a few spots of rain on the first part of the ride. This view from Kirkby Overblow (a very appropriate name) shows the nature of the weather, with the grey on the left being a shower, but patches of brightness and sunshine elsewhere:

P1020989.jpg

My route undulates along the Northern side of the valley, offering this view across to Ilkley Moor along the way:

P1020990.jpg

and shortly afterwards a view of Denton Hall (now apparently offices and a wedding venue):

P1020993.jpg

I continued into Ilkley, then up to the Cow and Calf café for a coffee and cake. The climb up to the café was hard for me, and I felt I deserved a short break when I got there!The flags there showed how strong the head wind was on my way up to Ilkley:

P1020995.jpg

There were also excellent views over Ilkley:

P1020996.jpg

and of the Cow and Calf rocks:

P1020998.jpg

Fortunately, quite a lot of the return route was downhill (although I did still have to toil up to the top of the Chevin), the wind was now mainly behind me, and the weather became increasingly sunny.

P1030002.jpg

It was lung busting in places, but this was definitely an enjoyable ride.

This is the route I followed:

route map.jpg

On the A10?! Braver man than I!.

It's not too bad at the time I'm on it in the morning(6 ish usually);certainly no worse than 20 pence road,actually as it's wider the traffic gives you a wider berth.

Another a10 commute this morning but on the helium so a bit quicker^_^

https://www.strava.com/activities/300275800

And then a long ride home to finish the Strava classics challenge as I won't be on the club run tomorrow.

Pretty pleased with it as at times especially at the end I felt pretty tired;still nice jacket pots and chilli to look forward too soon:hungry:

Oh and the title of this will only mean anything if you know a us band called The Hold Steady.

https://www.strava.com/activities/300479793

MikeW-71

Veteran
With the TdY Sportive out of the way, my attention is now on my MTB C2C tour.

The MTB has been whinging that it's being ignored lately, so I figured I needed to find out what it feels like to ride 30 hilly miles in the wilderness. So i set off to Settle with a 30 mile loop plotted taking in Malham Tarn and Kilsley. I even remembered to stop and take some photos this time :biggrin:

16807569764_93f6e83be4_c.jpg

It seems to take forever!

Almost as soon as you've rolled out of the car park, you are climbing. This goes on for a while, some of it isn't rideable, but finally you get up to the top of this brute. Then you look at the garmin and you've only done 3.5 miles :heat: But you are now in the middle of nowhere!

16807577874_c8ba8420ed_c.jpg

Once I've persuaded various sheep and cows to move a bit, there is a quick and rocky descent towards Malham Tarn, which is a lot of fun, then a little bit on tarmac to get to the Tarn itself, which you can see in the photo below. I figured that would be a good point for some sandwiches with 10 miles on the clock and a bit over 2 hours on the watch!

16810574454_56e0c5064b_c.jpg

Only 20 to go then! :laugh:. Now I hit the moors over towards Kilsley and this could not be more different. It's a bit flatter, but the grass is soft and there's a few rocks about, so going is very slow, until I get to another rocky downhill bit :biggrin: where I come to a bit of an issue:

17243852699_186c2510fc_c.jpg

I shall make use of that handy stone bridge I think :smile: After this is was plain sailing until the long, rocky and fast descent to Kilsley. Halfway. :dance:

A couple of miles on tarmac gets me to the next bridleway, and this involves climbing back up to the height I've just come down from :sad: It's soft ground, no hard path at all, it's steep and it's tough to even keep moving. So I just walked the bike up the majority of this climb. It's faster. As you can see, the bridleway line is only just visible.

17242537740_4aca68a42c_c.jpg

It takes an hour to haul the bike 3 miles to get to the top, but then there is the reward of a faster downhill section and some fast cruising across the high pastures, and this was where I nearly came to grief! Whizzing down a grassy hill, I spotted a big depression that I was going rather too fast for. So I hit the brakes. The rear wheel locked up and promptly tried to overtake the front, making me get off the brakes and ride out the violent straightening-out process. Then I still had to deal with the depression. Oooof! :eek:

Shortly after I was back at Malham Tarn. A bit over 4 hours on the watch. 9 miles to go. Ugh.

Then the route works its way over back to the Pennine Bridleway, and after a bit of a slog initially, I'm really picking up speed! This is a nice hard surface and should eat up a few miles, which is just as well because my nice weather has gone away :rain: After a final drop down across fields, I was back at Settle :wahhey:

32 miles in just short of 6 hours. My estimates of speed were about right. On tour I'll be on the bike between 6 and 8 hours each day, but I do have a couple of hours leeway after that, so I don't need to rush. However, could I do this route again tommorrow? That'd be hard.

Keep up the training! :bicycle:

https://app.strava.com/activities/300536768/overview

Attachments

• 16807569764_93f6e83be4_c.jpg
    16807569764_93f6e83be4_c.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 16807577874_c8ba8420ed_c.jpg
    16807577874_c8ba8420ed_c.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 16810574454_56e0c5064b_c.jpg
    16810574454_56e0c5064b_c.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 17243852699_186c2510fc_c.jpg
    17243852699_186c2510fc_c.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 17242537740_4aca68a42c_c.jpg
    17242537740_4aca68a42c_c.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 48
Went out over towards Warwick Bridge via the loop road past Warwick Holme, carried on along the A69 to Corby Hill and down to Middle Gelt Bridge and I was struggling and I knew it. Up to Talking Village, another struggle up to the view point over Talkin Tarn and on to Hallbank Gate. Took the cycle track to Lambley and at Lambley decided that going up to Alston and over Hartside was not on. So I dropped down (and then up) to the South Tyndale trail to Haltwhistle station. Train to Wetheral and rode Home. 25 miles in 3:10 of riding
Excellent weather extraordinary clear views.
PM on reasons for aborting
1) Not hill fit
2) Had slime fitted in to Schwalbe inner tubes earlier in the year when I was getting a lot of punctures due to thorns
Would appreciate any comments on (2) I have notice that even on the flat I do not roll as well as I used too.
Have marked next Wednesday down to have another attempt to get too Hartside but I am thinking of getting the train to Haltwhistle, then using the South Tyne Trail to Lambley. At least the first four miles will be flat.

D

Deleted member 23692

Nothing so grand for me in comparison to what other locals have posted above.

As the news and weather both seemed quite jolly, I cycled to work and back. 6½ miles from one side of the city to t'other, and n'er venturing near a main/busy road.

full.png

T'was all very civilised :thumbsup:

Later today I'll be taking another short ride, but this time it's over to Monkhill to 'support' The Drovers Rest Beer Festival:bicycle:

Attachments

• full.png
    full.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 62

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
For once I had a ride with a destination in mind, Long Itchington to meet @Fab Foodie so I could collect one of the Cyclechat jerseys.

30 miles of hard work into a fairly strong wind and once I got to the meeting place I rang Fab Foodie to tell him I was there only to get no answer. Mmmm, thinking what do I do now when my phone rings, a very polite lady asking me why I had rung her, I had the wrong number :sad: So I phoned home got my youngest to log onto cyclechat and check the number for Fab Foodie, I'd got the number right. So i walked round to the campsite that I knew he was on and grabbed a random cyclist and asked if they knew him, luckily they all knew each other and I was soon shaking hands with him.

Photo of the hand over - thank you to the chap who took the photo for us.
On the way home and a tail wind and even stopped to take some more photos:

WP_20150509_08_27_56_Pro.jpg
WP_20150509_09_39_55_Pro.jpg
WP_20150509_09_40_36_Pro.jpg

You can't miss these:
WP_20150509_09_24_57_Pro.jpg
WP_20150509_09_25_18_Pro.jpg

Probably something to do with this:
WP_20150509_08_57_41_Pro.jpg

and finally a shot of the jersey back in Leicester:
WP_20150509_10_20_55_Pro.jpg

63 miles in total https://www.strava.com/activities/300883465

13 rider

Guru
Quick afternoon spin of 11 miles . From Anstey to Newtown Linford and out to Ulverscroft a quick loop round a few hills and back home. Followed part of the route of the Charnwood Forest ride anyone taking part tomorrow be warned its HILLY at least your going down Polly Botts and not up that as well , but looks like full priory lane ( two climbs) after doing the beacon 40 miles over the forest is a proper ride good luck anyone doing it. I will be heading a different way tomorrow to avoid everyone.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Had a lovely ride today with some of the Belles ladies. We followed NCR 76 from the Kelpies to Culross and back.
29 miles for me and 19 miles for most of the others.
If you were in a group of male riders that passed us at the point below....I'm sorry. No really, I can usually keep control of my ladies but the sight of you fit lads in lycra was just too much for them (but to be fair, you started it!) :laugh:

11159949_902560386454072_6318126168408551455_n.jpg

20150509_124413.png

At Culross where we stopped for a snack

20150509_114210.png

Riding towards Kincardine Bridge

It was a fab ride, with a great bunch of ladies and the weather was brilliant.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
An ex colleague turned up with his bike for me to fettle before going out with me for a pootle into Leeds' city centre, back along the canal to Kirkstall and a climb out of the Aire Valley back to Meanwood.

11006465_10153313458598330_5745022929544269324_n.jpg

Tom having a pre-ride pie.

11037274_10153313458723330_6532530036786084103_n.jpg

Tom after conceding that he needed to wear the wind stopper that I offered him at the start of the ride. It was rather cold.

11233508_10153313458783330_5348162516738064050_n.jpg

A fantastic rock band playing at a Hell's Angels' gathering at the HD dealership by the Armley Gyratory. We were attracted by the great sound, stayed for a few minutes at a respectful distance before returning to the tow path.

10428667_10153313458858330_3974446536611188830_n.jpg

A nice pint of Kirkstall Brewery's Dissolution IPA before the clim back to Meanwood.

A nice relaxing 11.5 miles catching up with the gossip and sharing pies.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Second attempt at the imperial century for May.

In the run up to the weekend, sunday looked the better day in the forecasts, but the updates changed as we got nearer so that even though it was forecast to be showery, today looked better with regards to the wind.

As promised in the last write-up I've been good and kept off the bike to rest it after straining my left knee. I've also done some adjustments after a conversation with @gavgav made me realise that it may in part have been due to a squashed nerve (I've adjusted the tension of the saddle a couple of times recently). So about 7 this morning set out with a not so tense saddle to see what I could achieve.

I did a variation one of my regular routes this time to try and take advantage of the wind direction and so that if I had to cut it short it would be easier. The planned route was out to Condover first before turning west through Exfords Green and out to Pontesbury and Minsterley (a couple of miles added here compared to the way I usually go) then to Westbury, and through Melverley to Oswestry. Ellesmere was the next stop after that, then Wem, Shawbury, Upton Magna, Wroxeter and Cressage. From there the route becomes hillier on the way to Harley, and Cardington before finally heading home through Longnor, Great Ryton and Condover again.

It was much quieter setting out at this time compared to the bank holiday monday and first bit was pretty uneventful apart from finding that the saddle needed further adjustments to feel right (back in the autumn I tried to replicate the set up from the knockabout bike that was working pretty well for commuting - it clearly does not suit this bike). Despite these changes the left knee started to ache again as early as 12 miles, but didn't feel bad like last time so I carried on.

I got up to Oswestry without it feeling any worse so continued to Ellesmere. This section was a little more difficult as the knee didn't like the frequent ups and downs on this section (despite the wind helping), but eased again as I got closer to town. I had a quick break by The Mere then carried on.

For the next section to Wem the wind was helping quite nicely and I set quite a good pace apart from climbing over the hill just before town. I had my lunch stop here before carrying on.

There is a bigger hill after Wem but by taking it slow I got up with no issues. At the top I passed a few riders going the other way: a penguin, Wally (from the "Where's Wally" books), a tiger, a lion, two escaped convicts on a tandem and Father Christmas among many others. A charity ride I presume - otherwise someone must have slipped something into my water bottles.:laugh:

I regret to say that when I received a deliberate close pass a few miles afterwards I couldn't restrain myself and gave a (not particularly offensive) gesture in frustration :sad: which resulted in Mr Angry stopping to harangue me and repeatedly demand "what the **** was that?" Unlike the last time this happened I did keep my cool. No arguing, no name-calling, I just shook my head, told him to get lost and rode on. He made some parting comment which I didn't hear - I suspect it wasn't "have a nice day".:whistle: I wonder if his girlfriend in the passenger seat was impressed.:rolleyes: No more of these swivel eyed loonies please - I've had my fill!

Strangely this incident actually helped. The adrenalin rush from not knowing what was about to happen stopped my knee aching and I covered the next 20 miles at a surprisingly brisk pace. I stopped to check if another rider was okay near Cressage as he was was sat on the roadside looking knackered - we had a brief chat which cheered me up. Just after Cressage another couple of riders overtook me, then settled down to a slower pace than mine - proving a point I think but they offered a nice wind-break for a while.;)

The good pace didn't last unfortunately and by 86 miles I was struggling up all the climbs. The knee was aching almost as badly as last time and I really plodded, but did make it to the top of the Folly Bank climb where after a rest, refreshment and a pleasant chat with a walker all was well again and I enjoyed a relatively quick run to home.

102.4 miles for the day (and thankfully got the century without having to find any extra mileage at the end of the ride) at an average of 12.9 mph.

DSC0002230.jpg

On the way to Pontesbury. A vivid crop against a threatening sky.

DSC0002233.jpg

Oswestry

DSC0002234.jpg

I ride past this dragon sculpture quite frequently but haven't photographed it before for fear of upsetting the owners.

DSC0002236.jpg

Taking a quick break at Ellesmere.

DSC0002238.jpg

The church at Welshampton with its unusual patterned roof.

DSC0002239.jpg

It's clearly been pretty wet in places today (the bike is plastered in mud). I've been lucky though and missed practically all the showers.

DSC0002241.jpg

Nice ironwork at Wem.

DSC0002248.jpg

Near Harley and looking across the valley to Wenlock Edge.

DSC0002250.jpg

So tempting, but it's only 12 miles to home now and there's some bottles of Butty Bach waiting for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom