Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
after recrossing the a607 on to the cycle path in Gaddesby I managed to flick a stick into my spokes which broke my new front crud mungaurd :angry:
I did that once, and yes - it is very annoying. Having said that ... I spoke to someone once whose friend had been killed after going over the bars when an object jammed in his front mudguard. I would much rather replace a broken mudguard than risk death or serious injury in an incident like that!

After spending most of the afternoon in Arbroath with my missus i got home and went out for a wee 5 miler before tea time . Beautiful day up here and i had to get out as it was too nice for the day to end there. The leaves are very colourful at the moment before they shed and i cant believe its November such are the temperatures today.

Dr_pink's birthday weekend, yesterday some top women's cyclists were coming to ride with us. I had the great idea of leading a ride to the new
http://www.cafe-ventoux.cc, next time I come up with a master plan like this someone take me outside and give me a good slapping. I had completely failed to take into account I would be "leading" six seriously powerful women. My second mistake to compound my initial error was to do it on fixed gear. My third, and almost nail in the coffin error was to choose one of the hilliest rides Rutland has to offer.
Four miles in
DE7E8B7A-D1A9-4E9E-9403-FF47F0EA7EF3_zpstamvqe0l.jpg

One of the very few times in my life when I actually wished I had brought the geared bike out to play. These women are all naturally competitive and every time a hill loomed they attacked. Oh well, dr_pink seemed to enjoy it. At the cafe when the owners became aware of who our group consisted of, they wanted a photo of us all in front of the cafe, we duly obliged.
The route back from the cafe was very lumpy, nevertheless the 13 miles back was done in a stupidly quick 41 mins. The first photo was taken at about 12.45, this one just before 4pm
8D5755D9-DADB-463B-9FE6-7C2E858431B0_zpse6zqtrii.jpg

Only 45 miles in total and one of the girls had ridden over 60 miles to get to our house before the ride and today rode back home 125 miles!
About the only thing I did reasonably well yesterday [according to the many trick or treaters that knocked on our door] was to carve a pumpkin.
BED02A91-F7B6-4A21-9949-B12752234D92_zpsnd0yi34n.jpg

A fabulous day, amazing weather and surrounded by good friends that continued until after midnight.
Today was recovery and cleaning up, however the weather was so warm and sunny that we pootled out for 15 miles in the warm sunshine, marvelling at the array of autumn colours. A weekend that will not be forgotten.
Heck, my legs are sore.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Dr_pink's birthday weekend, yesterday some top women's cyclists were coming to ride with us. I had the great idea of leading a ride to the new
http://www.cafe-ventoux.cc, next time I come up with a master plan like this someone take me outside and give me a good slapping. I had completely failed to take into account I would be "leading" six seriously powerful women. My second mistake to compound my initial error was to do it on fixed gear. My third, and almost nail in the coffin error was to choose one of the hilliest rides Rutland has to offer.
Four miles in

One of the very few times in my life when I actually wished I had brought the geared bike out to play. These women are all naturally competitive and every time a hill loomed they attacked. Oh well, dr_pink seemed to enjoy it. At the cafe when the owners became aware of who our group consisted of, they wanted a photo of us all in front of the cafe, we duly obliged.
The route back from the cafe was very lumpy, nevertheless the 13 miles back was done in a stupidly quick 41 mins. The first photo was taken at about 12.45, this one just before 4pm

Only 45 miles in total and one of the girls had ridden over 60 miles to get to our house before the ride and today rode back home 125 miles!
About the only thing I did reasonably well yesterday [according to the many trick or treaters that knocked on our door] was to carve a pumpkin.

A fabulous day, amazing weather and surrounded by good friends that continued until after midnight.
Today was recovery and cleaning up, however the weather was so warm and sunny that we pootled out for 15 miles in the warm sunshine, marvelling at the array of autumn colours. A weekend that will not be forgotten.
Heck, my legs are sore.
I was about to point out that for someone leading a ride, you seemed to be spending a lot of time at the back, but then I noticed that it was "leading" rather than leading! :okay:

Sounds (and looks) a great ride.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
I'm detecting a few common themes from today's rides. Fog, for instance. Lots of it. And then sun. Lots of that too. Some eerie cobwebs. Yep. I can vouch for all that. Plus a long-necked bird. Might've been an emu. I'm no good with bird identification.

Tell you what. How about I just do the photos...
Web
DSC_0366.jpg

Fog
DSC_0367.jpg

Sun
DSC_0368.jpg

Boid
DSC_0369.jpg

If you know what that boid is, please let me know. I'm hopeless with this stuff.

Turned into a fantastic day for a bike ride. 47 miles with 2,274 feet of climbing.
:okay:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I saw quite a few of these amazing carved owls on my route through the Cheshire countryside today.

View attachment 108547 View attachment 108548
@Katherine Those owls are done by someone I know, in fact he's just done a carving for me of a Lewis chessman. There are many in the area, I've been meaning to post a few on here but you've beaten me to it. My favourite is on the road between Knutsford and Chelford, it looks like King Canute (Knutsford is named after him). I'll get out and post some others if I can get my finger out. They really are stunning.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Riders, please forgive me. It has been too long since my last entry here. I lost a bit of mojo and took some time off.

Got back into it with an MTB ride last week, and today was looking like a lovely day until I went out the door. Then it was rather grey and foggy in the distance, but nice and warm. I just kept it simple and headed off to Talkin Tarn for a coffee and scone, aiming for 31 miles to keep the 50-per-month challenge on track.

It's a lovely place and I should come here more often TBH. The Autumn colours are beautiful.

22495799810_802307f15c_c.jpg

22683757215_7f13d442a0_c.jpg

31 miles it was. It's good to be back in the saddle. :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've been following the forecast all week with anticipation as it looked very promising for getting the November Imperial Century in. However, waking early I looked out into a blanket of thick fog just like I did for last month's ride.:dry:

Wasn't going to stop me, but it did change the plans somewhat. The Ludlow route I had in mind was out as this includes a lot of relatively fast B roads which would not be at all fun in these conditions. The backup was the tried and tested Melverley, Oswestry, Ellesmere, Wem, Cressage and Cardington route (roughly the reverse of what I did for the October ride in the same conditions). I did also have a back up plan which was to head for Lake Vyrnwy if the fog had cleared by the time I got to Maesbrook (about 20 miles in).

Setting out there was a surprising amount of traffic on the main roads for 7am on a Sunday but the lanes were much quieter and more pleasant. I used the washing up liquid trick on my glasses again which worked well :okay: and was definitely needed.

Heading for Westbury I went via Pontesbury and Minsterley, adding a couple of miles and giving a little variety to the route. On the approach to Pontesbury I encountered the first numpty of the trip who gave me plenty of room but forced the (well lit) car coming the other way into an emergency stop - I swear some people can't see beyond the end of their bonnet.:wacko:

On the approach to Westbury this route takes me along a bit of a lane where I had the first taste of conditions to come - extremely muddy.

At Coedway I got treated to the unusual sight of just a pair of legs riding a bike :huh:. The rider looming out of the murk in the other direction was wearing a yellow high-viz jacket which acted as very effective camoflage against the pale foggy background until he got quite close. Something to think about - high-viz doesn't always make you more visible.:blink:

The Vyrnwy idea fell by the wayside at Measbrook as conditions hadn't improved at all but at Oswestry I just rode out of the fog. It was thick on the south side of town but :sun:up north. This didn't last long though, after a quick stop for my second breakfast I soon rode back into it at Gobowen.

I was getting on better than usual so after a muddy section to Ellesmere I dispensed with my usual stop there and carried on to Welshampton. There are loads of pheasants out at the moment and dinging my bell at a couple getting in the way I was treated to a comic display as they ran hither and thither in the road before crashing into each other and finally thinking to fly away.:laugh: I'm sure whoever coined the phrase "bird brained" was thinking of pheasants when they said it.^_^

After more mud on the way I thought I'd use the direct (and not muddy) route to Wem but unfortunately the B5063 is closed at this end curently so I was back onto the usual way thorugh Lyneal , picking up the B road later. The closure was a good thing though as there was very little traffic and I decided to stay with this road all the way to Wem rather than using the back roads I normally prefer.

After a brief refreshment stop at Wem the ride continued and the fog thickened again. The new saddle was making its presence felt by this point and possibly it wasn't the best idea to use it for a 100 miler when I've only ridden it for about a week.

By Upton Magna the fog was clearing again and I paused at Wroxeter in the sunshine for my lunch stop. It was difficult getting going again afterwards (the new saddle also puts me in a slightly different riding position so the muscles haven't adjusted to it yet).

It was very slow going by Cressage which coincided with the ride getting hilly - the downside of going this way round. For the first time since the start of the year I wasn't sure if I was going to make it, but stubbornly carried on with more and more frequent stops for a breather.

I was accosted by a collie somewhere near Harley (don't think he likes the helmet. ;)) and finally found a second wind near Cardington which was very timely as it was just before the big climb of the day. Descending the other side was great and a slight tailwind assisted for the remaining 10 miles or so to home, where just as I was putting the bike away another bank of thick fog has rolled in. Timed that well.:thumbsup:

101.52 miles for the day. 9 hours including stops. No idea about the moving average as I accidentally reset the speedometer while trying to stop one of my lights from falling off the handlebar.:rolleyes: (Luckily it records distance as daily as well as trip, which doesn't reset on the button).

The bike has a similar look to a rally car that has just completed a forest stage and there is a certain amount of blood too as I cut myself when catching the falling light :blush:, so a good clean will be in order.

DSC0002972.jpg

Gloomy start

DSC0002974.jpg

On the approach to Pontesbury

DSC0002977.jpg

The corrugated iron church at Maesbury

DSC0002978.jpg

Also at Maesbury - the sad sight of the abandoned school.

DSC0002980.jpg

Sunshine at last near Oswestry Hill Fort. :sun:

DSC0002982.jpg

Between Lyneal and Wem - Ever have the feeling you were being watched?

DSC0002989.jpg

More sunshine at Wroxeter - looks a bit better than last time I was here.

DSC0002993.jpg

Cardington and the Royal Oak seems especially tempting today.

DSC0002994.jpg

Over the hill and down the other side, Caer Caradoc basks in the surprising November warmth.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Four miles in

Heck, my legs are sore.
A belated happy birthday to @dr_pink :birthday:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Lovely weather after the fog cleared...I thought maybe a couple hours out before dinner..., I got roughly 7 miles out and thought, thats it, im done. Tail end of a cold, its just not there today so turned round and home.
Consoled myself with a 2 or 3mile dog walk after dinner.

Ah well...

Gareth C

Veteran
In the footsteps of Romans

With Autumn well and truly here (and beautiful colours), Winter is on its way, so a reminder to make the most of every weekend for biking! After being out yesterday for a walk and seeing the salmon run, I headed up to the Cheviots for a “short” loop along the Roman Road of Clennell Street and back via Usway Burn.

Climbing up onto Clennell Street I was reminded how hard work it can be riding uphill on long wet grass over boggy ground.

gopr9849.jpg
Typical Cheviot landscape

gopr9857.jpg
Hard work on grassy, wet terrain

gopr9859.jpg
Big horizons

gopr9862.jpg
Wind damage following felling

Eventually the edges of Kidland Forest are reached, but after the logging, the worst bog so far has to be traversed on foot.

gopr9865.jpg
That would keep my wood-burner going for a week or two…

gopr9870.jpg
Riding by the Usway Burn

gopr9871.jpg
Looking back to the grassy descent

There is then a long grassy downhill to meet the Usway Burn, turn south and start to head back to the car. First highlight on the way is Middle Hill, which has a very atmospheric woodland.

gopr9873.jpg
Climbing up Middle Hill

gopr9875.jpg
The beautiful, rooty descent to Usway Burn on a carpet of pine needles

Last time I was cycling in the Cheviots, we headed south west over the hill to Barrowburn, enjoying a great descent, but had spied the Usway Burn path. Today was the time to check this out.

gopr9876.jpg
Immediately after crossing the bridge, narrow trail, rocks and routes make an appearance. Amazing views though!

gopr9879.jpg
Early section of the Usway Burn trail

wp_20151101_12_44_16_pro.jpg

gopr9881.jpg
Riding above the Usway Burn

gopr9884.jpg
One of the less narrow sections of trail

gopr9888.jpg
Almost at the end of the nicest singletrack

This is what singletrack is all about. Sometimes only the width of your tyre, other times widening out by the river, the Usway Burn path hugs the waterside tightly, sometimes with a big drop into the water as a penalty for inattention, but never too likely. Absolutely beautiful.

screen-shot-2015-11-01-at-19-25-50.png

Top Bottom