Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I had my first ride out for two and half weeks today (been struggling with motivation and the poor weather). This one was a bit special, being a trip right around the Wrekin with @Pale Rider who was visiting locally. My ride started with a trip across town on lovely quiet roads to the agreed meeting point where pleasantries were exchanged and cake supplied.:hungry:

Wanting to show off the area a bit I'd come up with a choice of routes and fortunately we agreed on the one I'd hoped for, to Ironbridge via the slopes of the Wrekin.

Starting off we were on easy roads but against a fairly brisk headwind (getting that out of the way early and it should be helping on the way back). Our pace was leisurely but all the better for chatting.

We skirted the edge of Haughmond HIll, through Rodington and Walcot before going round the northern side of The Wrekin and up to Little Wenlock (busy with folk making the most of the Bank Holiday) before taking a new route for me down through Coalbrookdale (where the Industrial Revolution started) to Ironbridge where we had hot drinks (thanks for getting those :okay:) and a break.

The return was along the easier but busier road through Buildwas and Leighton then the quieter back road to Wroxeter. I changed the route slightly here, as the bikes were already muddy, to take the shorter way to Upton Magna then back along the edge of Haughmond Hill and retracing our steps to the start.

We chatted a bit more, then I had to head back, using the reverse of the route out as the darkness gathered (have I mentioned I like my new lighting set up?:addict:)

A nice day out in convivial company. 54.3 miles recorded (actually about three more than that due to me accidentally riding without the speedo connected for a bit).

I needed that ride - It's brought the enthusiasm back.^_^

DSC0003072.jpg

Heading out in the morning - The Severn is high but surprisingly not properly in flood despite the recent rain in Wales.

DSC0003074.jpg

A stop with a view on our way round the Wrekin.

DSC0003075.jpg

In Ironbridge.

DSC0003077.jpg

And the famous Iron Bridge itself.

DSC0003079.jpg

On our way back and taking a quick break overlooking The Severn at Leighton Bends .

Another 50 today taking my holiday rides to 155/200 miles. One or two rides to go so I should pass that.

Started by heading up Forest Road climb and then round the back way up Beacon Hill. Always a nice descent despite the driver who pulled out on me at 30+mph. School Lane was next before doubling back toward Woodhouse and the longer climb up to Joe Moores lane. Newtown Linford to Anstey was nice but slow due to all the drivers negotiating each other whilst leaving Bradgate Park. From Anstey I could see the large fire near Leicester but carried on through Rothley, Cossington, Sileby, Barrow and back to Lufbra.

A nice ride but felt mentally leggy apart from Barrow to Lufbra and then the chain popped off. Didn't dampen the spirits though!

13 rider

Guru
Another 50 today taking my holiday rides to 155/200 miles. One or two rides to go so I should pass that.

Started by heading up Forest Road climb and then round the back way up Beacon Hill. Always a nice descent despite the driver who pulled out on me at 30+mph. School Lane was next before doubling back toward Woodhouse and the longer climb up to Joe Moores lane. Newtown Linford to Anstey was nice but slow due to all the drivers negotiating each other whilst leaving Bradgate Park. From Anstey I could see the large fire near Leicester but carried on through Rothley, Cossington, Sileby, Barrow and back to Lufbra.

A nice ride but felt mentally leggy apart from Barrow to Lufbra and then the chain popped off. Didn't dampen the spirits though!
My neck of the woods I live in Anstey . Joe Moore's lane theres a drag you could go up warren hill instead !
Fire was a factory fire in Leicester

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Lovely bright sunny morning here, it was just a pity that by the time I went out the cloud cover had returned and the breeze had picked up.

The original plan was to head out to Stowmarket via Coddenham and the back road from Needham Market which includes some of my favourite sections. Part way out though I realised that the whole return leg would have been into the wind. As a result I ended up crossing back across Ipswich and riding down the other side of the river Orwell to Shotley Gate and then back via a loop around Alton Water reservoir. A couple of extra detours rounded the mileage up to just under 63 to give a final metric century for the year.

Back to work tomorrow morning so bike cleaning will have to wait.

https://www.strava.com/activities/458164901

Saluki

World class procrastinator
2 rides today.
Firstly https://www.strava.com/activities/458251117

Nice little ride from my home to the place where we have our Slimming World meeting. I discovered that I had lost 1/2lb, so pleased with that. Eric the bike is mostly responsible for that loss I reckon, cos it wasn't the chocolate biscuits that helped.

Back again, pretty much the direct route: https://www.strava.com/activities/458251279

8.63 miles in 39 minutes and change. I am over my monthly target now. Another 17 miles and I'll have done 2650 for the year. I'll try for that tomorrow, if the weather is OK. The pretty route to Dialysis maybe.

GM

Legendary Member
Just done 13 miles up through Barnet to the Duke of York pub (Potters Bar) and back. Not particularly noteworthy I hear you say.......this ride was special. It was the first time Mrs R has been able to ride this year following three major operations and a period of ill health. We were both on our Bromptons and this was the best ride of 2015 for me.

View attachment 114092

That's brilliant, well done Trish. I was hoping to meet you both on the CC ride today, I had the hip flask of sauvignon as well. Maybe the next one!

13 rider

Guru
Oh Warren hill was in there too today...https://www.strava.com/activities/458094840

I never quite know anywhere else to go from Anstey without hitting Leicester, any recommendations?

That fire looked horrid on the news today.
Some say any way out of Anstey is a good route .I'd turn right in Newtown before Anstey either at the bottom of Sharply hill in Ulverscoft where you will find some nice climbs Polly Botts lane a good one . Or right at Markfield out to Thornton reservoir you have to cross the A50 but there is a crossing of the slip road just before field head restaurant
Pm sent so you can follow on strava and see some some routes

sanddancer

Hi Sanddancer. You join the path at Talacre,near the lighthouse, the path starts on the left at the end of the road and is signpLlandudno errorpath goes through sand dunes, then Presthaven Sands caravan park and Prestatyn Golf club. Turn right on the road in front of Pontins and join the path on the prom. It is straight through to Rhos On Sea. It misses Llandudno from here. Turn left by Rhos Golf club and the signs take you through country lanes to Llandudno Junction. Join the path again at Conwy harbour. It goes all the way down to Bangor.

Thanks Ron ;)
I read your post then googled Talacre cyclepath and found this
http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/nwles_co_cyw.htm

its about 16 mile so i would like to drive there and cycle out towards conway and back and also get the train to conway/Llandudno and cycle home ;)
obviously not both in the same day lol :biggrin:

Buck

Guru
I didn't get out on the bike again today (more family gatherings taking priority) but did manage to squeeze in my second FTP ride on my turbo trainer with Zwift. No substitute for going out and enjoying the fresh air but far better than sitting on the sofa getting frustrated about not going out!

https://www.strava.com/activities/457885945

Must sayid quite enjoying the Zwift experience so far but hoping the weather is kind on Thursday or Friday when I'm off :okay:

Some say any way out of Anstey is a good route .I'd turn right in Newtown before Anstey either at the bottom of Sharply hill in Ulverscoft where you will find some nice climbs Polly Botts lane a good one . Or right at Markfield out to Thornton reservoir you have to cross the A50 but there is a crossing of the slip road just before field head restaurant
Pm sent so you can follow on strava and see some some routes

Cheers!

robjh

Legendary Member
I went down to the smoke yesterday for the Fridays' very enjoyable London social ride, and it being a nice-ish day I decided to ride down from home, which is just south of Cambridge. It was early on a bank holiday and so I took the main-road route of the old A11 all the way down through Bishop's Stortford, Harlow and Epping Forest, then Lea Bridge Road towards central London. Harlow was a bit of a mess - I went through Old Harlow but the roads are diverted and distorted by the many dual carriageways and I did some carrying across central reservations - but then the A104 through Epping Forest gave a good fast approach into the city, the woods looking wonderful in the morning sunshine. The 15 mph south-easterly wind wasn't too much of a hindrance either, and I was on the edges of the city 3 hours after leaving home. Finally I ended up (accidentally) on Oxford Street, but rode the length of it out of curiosity before heading down Park Lane to meet the others.

By 3 pm we were in a bar by the Thames. I fixed a slow puncture, then as people were drifting off after 4pm I decided to ride home too. This time I followed the A10 due north out of London. Through Stoke Newington and Tottenham it was quite interesting, and I stopped for an excellent kebab in one of the many Turkish restaurants, but from there to Hoddesdon the route was so boring, one long long straight samey suburban road. For the last 25 miles I headed for the (modest) hills, taking the road through Stanstead Abbots and the Hadhams to Clavering, and finished with my favourite ridge road on the Essex-Cambs border. Ultimately all this riding in the dark made it seem quite a long journey and I must have slowed down a bit as it took nearer 4 hours on the way back.

It was a good day though, and at 113.74 miles altogether (including the tour of London) this will (unless I really surprise myself in the next 3 days) be my last century of the year.
upload_2015-12-29_11-6-58.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom