Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Day off, its bright here but windy, mostly a steady 16mph westerly so set off into it, then thought better of it and took a crosswind southerly route to Alconbury.
No desire for speed today (such as mine is) but more a determination to actually get some miles in.
Warm when the sun was on me, a tad cold when it wasn't, Peterborough, old A605, down Bullock Lane, just keep headed south to Alconbury, over the A1 and back alongside it on the old A! (noisy as hell)
A couple Skylarks trilling away over fields was nice although I couldn't see them, a few odds and sods, but as I approached a Stilton I was thinking...not much birdlife out today, within 1 mile, lo and behold...
20160304_124003_zpszt0fba0l.jpg

14 , yes 14 Red Kite, wheeling over a couple fields of lambs.
Funny thing is, ive seen more in almost exactly the same spot last year...I wonder if someone's putting food out regularly to attract them.

34 miles, no drama, no great speed...revert to type when home and start stuffing my face, just like the old days :tongue:

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Short ride to the Post office in Winterbourne on the MTB - nice ride thru the country lanes even had some snow flurries !!

image.jpg

Bridge over River Frome.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Continuing with my intention of getting out on a bike every day this year (and needing to build my stamina if I want to possibly attempt another 100 miler some time) I went out for longish ride (for me) north of Ipswich and did an Imperial half-centaury.
The weather was superb! :sun:
Unfortunately I thought it might be a bit cold so I kept the underpants on beneath the shorts. That is a mistake I will not be repeating in a hurry - I am a little sore. :eek:

Still, wonderful weather and I got to ford some brooks which were flooding the roads in places. This near Mickfield.

Ist 50 miler 2016 002.JPG

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Still decorating, and after putting on a base coat decided to spend the 4hr drying time wisely, so set off on the Boardman CX with a route in mind, hoping to get my March metric 50 in. The first 10 miles were tough, really didn't feel like my legs had any 'go' in them, but once I got out to Chobham I started to feel better. Cracking day for a ride, and finished the last 7 miles in a L/S jersey with no gloves.
A very enjoyable 32.7 miles, the longest I've done for a long time. Puts the Boardman CX Team over 2000 miles in the year I've had it, and really pleased with it too.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The walkway in the middle photo there is where I usually eat my fish & chips.. It seems to have filled up with stones!

Cracking ride!

The diggers were putting bucketfuls of aggregate up on that bit ( something to do with that new viewing tower thing ). It was a lot of fun.

Old jon

Guru
It has been a while since the last ride. A friend invited us to a private viewing of her exhibition, seemed a good excuse for a few days in London, so we did. Back to reality this morning, rain and hail before I left the house. But it stopped, so off I went on one of my regular routes. The Holbeck not triangle, Great Wilson Street, Crown Point Road, Regent Street with its gormless cycle lane . . .

Roseville Road and Roundhay Road to the Oakwood Clock, Boot Hill and the three lanes into Thorner, along to Bramham, in this clip I was the only one with a tailwind . . .

West Woods Road, with headwind and a wonderful view of the weather north of Wetherby, so left onto the A 58, a quick vanish of a sandwich in Collingham and home I pedalled. Thirty miles in total, should be worth more 'cos of the rain and hail and snow and purple frogs. I may have made up the last bit.

Diggs

Veteran
Well that was a bit cold and wet then. Slightly different route as we headed west to Navestock before looping back in a figure of eight. Good to see a lot of other cyclists out on such a grotty day, the sleet was somewhat unpleasant.
Still, the bike is now clean, dog's also walked and I've had another coffee and a warm bath
Not too many pics due to the weather

Untitled.jpg

wet.jpg

me.jpg

Archeress

Veteran
My Fiance and I got out again for a Saturday ride again. A little further than last week at a shade over 20 miles, but it was a very flat route. We followed the motorway for a significant distance, before cycling under the Second Severn crossing.

20160305121430.JPG

We stopped for a bacon bap and cup of tea in a bakery in Severn Beach, about half way round. Then as we cycled back towards home we were due to pass The Mall, so we popped in to mooch around the shops and have a coffee.

Nice leisurely ride, Strava here: https://www.strava.com/activities/509164150

Hugs
Archeress x

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
It's been a while since I moaned about the met office, so..........
The forecast for this morning had been just about everything in the last few days, sleet, rain, ice, frost, snow, so I thought sod it, I'll work in the morning & maybe go out on the hybrid in the afternoon if it looks safe enough. Friday, I dust of the crosstrail (which hasn't been used for around 18 months), lube the chain & generally check it over so its good to go.

Wake up this morning, nothing but a little bit of frost which had gone by 9am! Bugger, so I get the work bit done & I'm ready to roll by 12:30 & decide to still take the crosstrail & do a bit of off road riding in the forest enclosures that I started in 4 or 5 years ago but haven't been back to since.

Once I'd cleared the cobwebs from my SPD shoes I headed across the park & up a muddy pot-holed lane to Woodlands & spent 5 miles around the tracks, getting lost on numerous occasions including ending up in someones garden twice!! At this point I depart & head out onto the tarmac around Minstead before picking up some of the muddier lanes around Furzley that I wouldn't normally do on the roadbike. Nomansland & Landford were next up & bar the odd shower the weather stayed reasonably kind as I headed back to Woodlands & Ashurst for home.

Only 40 miles today, but 40 miles of fun, super slick SRAM gear changing & disc brakes that stopped on a sixpence so thank you met office, I take it all back!

https://www.strava.com/activities/509198901

IMG_0705.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I found it difficult to choose a route today. Having been to the same places numerous times while doing the Imperial Century challenge last year I wanted a change of scene, so after deliberating overnight settled on riding east to Bridgnorth which I haven't cycled to since summer 2014.

This was planned to be my qualifier for the Metric Century challenge so I headed south for starters to add a few miles. This is familiar ground through Condover, Pitchford, Acton Burnell and over the hill to Cardington where I swung round to the north again heading for Hughley and the climb over Wenlock Edge. I'd started out with fingerless gloves on which was fine while the wind was behind me but turning against the wind meant my fingers were quite chilled by the time I reached Church Preen School so I needed a stop to change to full finger ones and said hello to a rider who passed.

After Hughley I was onto the aforementioned climb and could see the other rider ahead of me and not pulling away. I didn't manage to catch him but did find him having a breather at the top of the climb where we had a bit of a chat (he had come from Church Stretton for a bit of a leg stretch as he said the ground conditions were too bad for mountain biking).

Moving on I took the road through Bourton. This is a very pleasant bit of countryside made all the more pleasurable by being slightly downhill for 3 or 4 miles.^_^ If following this route the whole way way to Bridgnorth you do end up paying for this though with a steep climb near Monkhopton and another by Criddon Bridge. To be fair there are a couple of cracking steep downhill bits too (got over 34 mph on one of these :hyper:).

On the approach to Bridgnorth I dinged my bell at a walker who ignored me as he thought the sound had come from his phone (not the first time that has happened:giggle:).

I arrived in the town and headed up to the railway station hoping to see something of interest. The next train wasn't due in for an hour and there were no interesting engines in the yard but there was a nice classic car in the car park. It had started life as a Standard 9 saloon but the young chap who owns it had converted it into a roadster and is about to fit a period supercharger as he uses it in competitions.

After a bite of lunch I headed into High Town (Bridgnorth is split into High Town on the hill and Low Town by the river) then after a look round headed along NCN route 45 towards Ironbridge. You start off on tarmac with this route then onto the old railway trackbed which is prvately owned and open as a permissive path. This route was quite rough last time I came this way and today was even worse with the left hand side of the track being a mass of craters for the first couple of miles before settling down to being just rough and muddy. Having the wind against me as well didn't help at all and I didn't get much above 11 mph for the next seven miles.:sad:

By the time I got to Coalport I'd had enough of being rattled about so crossed the Severn and headed along the road on the northern bank of the river instead. At Ironbridge I had a pause overlooking the bridge itself and a brief chat with another rider (he'd come over from Wheaton Aston to explore some new routes) before heading onwards to Buildwas.

The wind was getting funnelled along the Ironbridge Gorge so was against me even though I was now heading west and that coupled with tired legs meant I wasn't quick by this point. The climb just before Leighton was really hard (despite being far from the steepest of the day) and I was glad of a rest with a view at the top.

To get the mileage I wanted I couldn't take the most direct route home but instead headed through Wroxeter to Upton Magna before doubling back through Atcham and along the lanes I usually commute on to Condover. I don't know what is up with everyone today but I encountered more bad, aggressive and arrogant driving in the last ten miles than I'd usually encounter in a week or more of commuting. It spoiled the mood a bit and made me avoid the last stretch of busy road in favour of a final slow climb over Lyth Hill. This turned out to be a good thing as it avoided having to do a loop of the village to round up the final mileage.

63 tiring miles completed at a less than stellar 11.9 mph average so the March Metric Century is in the bag.

DSC0003207.jpg

En route to Cardington. It's not really clear in the photo but the Long Mynd has a covering of snow on the top.

DSC0003208.jpg

Church Preen School.

DSC0003209.jpg

Did I mention this route was a bit hilly?

DSC0003210.jpg

Lovely rolling countryside (but surprisingly hard work to ride).

DSC0003211.jpg

The non-standard Standard 9

DSC0003215.jpg

The leaning tower of Bridgnorth. (Remains of Bridgnorth Castle)

DSC0003218.jpg

The market hall in the centre of High Town (and there is a market on)

DSC0003223.jpg

The Iron Bridge. If you fancy seeing it in person, this year would be a good time to do so. It's currently being surveyed for a major restoration so will be covered in scaffolding during 2017.

DSC0003225.jpg

Leighton Bends. It's a lot easier to see the course of the river than last time I was here.

DSC0003227.jpg

Looking back towards where I've been from Lyth Hill

Last edited:

rugby bloke

Veteran
My rugby game was cancelled due to the state of the pitch so time to squeeze in a gentle 20 miler out to Salcey Forest (between the M1 and Northampton) and home. Still very much working up the fitness and trying to ride some miles into the legs. For a relatively short ride it includes plenty of climbing which is all to the good, plus one decent straight mile sprint to test the CV conditioning. All went pretty well until a long pull into the wind on the way home when all the strength seemed to drain away. Ironically the closest pass I had was by a bloody great pick up towing a horse box. I'm sure he or her would have expected more space if they had been on their horse.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I only had the chance for a quick utilitarian ride into town, on the old pub bike, to visit the library and wander around the market for a short time.
It wasn't too chilly on the way in, but with dark grey clouds looming over the area, it got decidedly nippy on the homeward stretch.

Untitled.png

Luckily, I got back just before it started sleeting.
Only 14 miles, but it's always good to blow the cobwebs away..

:smile:

Top Bottom