Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Thankfully I had no work on today so before it got too hot I took the opportunity to get a ride in & where better to go on a day like this than the beach!

Heading out after the rush hour traffic, the roads down through the forest to Lepe were quiet with cyclists probably outnumbering cars & a cooling south-easterly breeze coming up off the sea made for very pleasant riding conditions.

After a short ice-cream stop I headed back for a 36 mile round trip & now have the arduous task of sitting under the garden brolly chill-axing with a cool drink. :becool:

https://www.strava.com/activities/646055100

003.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Next week should see three consecutive stages of this year's Tour De Cochon and since I've never done three 50mile+ rides back-to-back, I thought I'd try putting three longish rides together as a bit of training. With that in mind, I went out Sunday, yesterday and today, on rides in excess of thirty miles. Monday's was with a newish cycling buddy, but today we meet up with one of his cycling buddies. Turned out he was at least thirty years younger than me, is a sports manager, and seriously into triathlons. Put that together with the weather and I can assure everyone that today I lost some weight ... ^_^

This evening, I go with my mate Dan to pick up his new bike from the LBS. Whether he'll be ready for next week's cycling pub-crawl remains to be seen.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A ride around the village to test brakes, gears and wheel alignment on the Dawes Kingpin. It is a stupid bike but riding it makes me smile.

The almost obligatory bike in front of a wall photo, in this case the village church wall.

image.jpeg

Probably just a couple of miles today.

john59

Guru
@john59 has Hadlow Road become a cafe yet?

If only every evening was like this. Hot, sunny, fragrant, windless and my birthday. (Then I'd be ancient!)
We went out on the tandem via Toft, Kingston and The Eversdens. There was a hot air ballon up, up and away.
I'd intended to stop at The Hare and Hounds in Harlton, but it was closed! Never mind. On to Barton and a stop at The White Horse for bitter shandy and curly fries, classy I am!
View attachment 135329
In the picture my right leg is crossed, I'm not deformed... Well, not there.
We finished the ride via Caldecote making it a figure of 8(ish)

20 miles (not 47)

https://www.strava.com/activities/645443412

No not as yet. It would make a nice cafe stop!

Mrs M

Guru
Scorchio morning and a first proper run on the single speeder with new 46t chainring.

Did a variant of the usual commutes today starting on the A10 before turning off at Streatham to Wilburton and a straight run on the Twenty pence rd through Cottenham,Impington and Histon;then a short loop in the city before rolling in to the Espresso Cafe for a well earned coffee and date cake:cuppa::hungry:.

Surprised with the pace :bicycle::smile:but I suppose that's what happens when you change the gearing;still spins out a bit but think it's about right at the moment.

https://www.strava.com/activities/645850485

Bike against a wall pic(Cambridge Fire Station);

View attachment 135348

And the second 'breakfast'^_^(showing the 'freebie' Rouleur/POC cap:becool:);

View attachment 135349
Smart bike :smile:

Simontm

Veteran
So went out for a ride, going OK although the heat was a bit wearing. Through Esher, down Lammas Lane to Hersham, Weybridge, pick up the Olympic route...
Stop at shop in West Byfleet for a litre of water as the heat was going up and up, noticed I didn't take Church Lane hard like I did before the crash, through Ripley were the usual idiots were in force at the narrow lane the up to West Horsley.
Decided to turn for home and up The Drift when disaster - round into Forest Lane,I clipped the corner, over-reacted on the brake and up'n'over I go.
I had dislocated my little finger and maybe broken my arm (too much swelling to tell.
Bike's fine btw, although the brifter will need to be shifted back into place!
Deciding Epsom was nearest but not wanting to do the ups and downs, I gingerly headed down into Cobham to take the Leatherhead rd.
Feeling a bit dizzy, I jumped on the train and went to Kingston A&E where one of the doctor's was very impressed with the dislocation and locked my bike up for me.
According the triage, they had a lot of corner and off's the past couple of days and was wondering whether it was the heat on tyres and roads (shrug).
One burly Dutch doctor, gas and injection later, I was free to go with the kind doctor running out to check I had my fracture clinic appointment and then I rode home

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
So went out for a ride, going OK although the heat was a bit wearing. Through Esher, down Lammas Lane to Hersham, Weybridge, pick up the Olympic route...
Stop at shop in West Byfleet for a litre of water as the heat was going up and up, noticed I didn't take Church Lane hard like I did before the crash, through Ripley were the usual idiots were in force at the narrow lane the up to West Horsley.
Decided to turn for home and up The Drift when disaster - round into Forest Lane,I clipped the corner, over-reacted on the brake and up'n'over I go.
I had dislocated my little finger and maybe broken my arm (too much swelling to tell.
Deciding Epsom was nearest but not wanting to do the ups and downs, I gingerly headed down into Cobham to take the Leatherhead rd.
Feeling a bit dizzy, I jumped on the train and went to Kingston A&E where one of the doctor's was very impressed with the dislocation and locked my bike up for me.
According the triage, they had a lot of corner and off's the past couple of days and was wondering whether it was the heat on tyres and roads (shrug).
One burly Dutch doctor, gas and injection later, I was free to go with the kind doctor running out to check I had my fracture clinic appointment and then I rode home

Oh my goodness! Get well soon, you're braver than me, I wouldn't have ridden back, I would have phoned for the broom wagon.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Thankfully I had no work on today so before it got too hot I took the opportunity to get a ride in & where better to go on a day like this than the beach!

Heading out after the rush hour traffic, the roads down through the forest to Lepe were quiet with cyclists probably outnumbering cars & a cooling south-easterly breeze coming up off the sea made for very pleasant riding conditions.

After a short ice-cream stop I headed back for a 36 mile round trip & now have the arduous task of sitting under the garden brolly chill-axing with a cool drink. :becool:

https://www.strava.com/activities/646055100

View attachment 135384
View attachment 135385
View attachment 135386

I'd like to live where you do stunning part of the country around there. Nice bike as well :okay:

Brandane

Legendary Member
A trip over to the Isle of Bute on the one day of summer! 37 miles without getting wet, this must be a personal record :smile:.

View from the ferry of Ardbeg point on the Isle of Bute.

WP_20160719_12_43_02_Pro_zpszzboyink.jpg

Arran, from the west side of Bute.

WP_20160719_14_03_40_Pro_zpsmvuy3pgc.jpg

The Clyde Riviera, towards Arran again.

WP_20160719_14_52_52_Pro_zps6ulxm7vb.jpg

Back at Largs, the Waverley was tied up at the pier for the night prior to a cruise tomorrow.

WP_20160719_18_04_31_Pro_zpssfnldwgx.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Have a like for the write up and :sad: for the injuries. I hope the arm isn't broken.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
More commuting on the hottest day of the year so far. I was up and about in plenty of time so took the Raleigh for the extended ride in (Condover, Acton Burnell, Cressage, Wroxeter) which was fabulous with the bright sunshine and cloudless blue sky.:sun: No incidents to report, in fact the roads seemed unusually quiet which was nice.

I didn't really notice how warm the morning was until I stopped when suddenly it seemed sweltering.:heat: At the last minute before setting out I put in a pair of shorts to wear at work and was very glad I had as they were much more comfortable in this weather.

The boss had a meeting today which he moved down to the warehouse partway through as they couldn't stand the heat any more up in the offices. (The joys of working in a mostly metal building)

Leaving work it was much warmer than it had been when I arrived so I didn't make any special effort to go fast, especially on the lumpy bit which seemed the hottest part of the ride. I needed to pause for a drink on the way which isn't something usual on the commute. Thankfully there was a brisk tailwind for the last three miles or so which made a fast cruise easy and helped up the final hill to home.

28.1 miles at 15 mph average. Quite quick for me despite the heat.^_^

DSC0003658.jpg

Already too hot for sheep in the morning.

DSC0003660.jpg

Looks and feels properly like summer now.

DSC0003661.jpg

A quick pause for a drink by some roadside weeds ;) on the way home. The Met Office site tells me that we did reach the forecast 32C in Shropshire today and it was at about the time I took this photo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom