Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theloafer

Legendary Member
went to Seaton with karon by way of Wynyard and castle Eden cycle route poss might have missed a turn or 2 ... got there to late for the breckie,s so had panfried plaice in garlic and chive butter sauce ..:hungry: it was bloody lovely 49 miles.......... https://www.strava.com/activities/675977580
2016-08-14 09.55.25.jpg 2016-08-14 09.55.31.jpg 2016-08-14 10.42.02.jpg 2016-08-14 11.53.56.jpg 2016-08-14 12.52.10.jpg 2016-08-14 13.42.43.jpg 2016-08-14 15.26.58.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
On a whim I bought some Lycra shorts in Decathlon yesterday. I wore them for a quick 50k ride over the N Downs. They didn't make me go any faster, but at least I was a proper MAMIL and felt like a bit of a plonker.

Went up White Lane which is one of wossname's 100 greatest climbs, and is steep and nasty.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Rode from Letchworth, through Hitchin and on to Codicote then Welwyn before turning back to do the same route in reverse along a reasonably quiet B656. Gently rolling hills, golden wheat fields and occasional leafy gladed sections. Marvellous cycling weather, sunny, not too hot, very little wind. Saw a dinosaur.

22 miles at 14mph average.
Screenshot_20160814-174944.png
20160814_150432.jpg
20160814_142033.jpg

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
View attachment 138280

I'm not sure it's supposed to look like that. 15 miles into a 50 mile planned route and I'm waiting for a lift home. Frustrating, as I am feeling quite up for it, despite the gusty winds.
upload_2016-8-14_20-7-54.png

51.5 miles to Thame for afternoon coffee and Aylesbury Vale Parkway for a train home. Or, as I shall call it if I ever get around to organising a ride based on the route, "@CharlieB was right, parts of Buckinghamshire are flat - or at least flattish - as long as you don't mind popping into Oxfordshire to get around Brill. And the road surfaces are truly, epicly, awful."

upload_2016-8-14_20-11-4.png

Essentially we did it by broadly following the Thame and Ray valleys once we were off the ridge of the Chilterns. That lump around 30 - 35 miles, which is very draggy and long, is climbing over the shoulder of Brill Hill, and it would have been possible to flatten it quite a lot more by going further into Oxfordshire. It is also possible to flatten the bit from Amersham, in the hills, to Wendover, underneath the ridge, by following the Misbourne Valley along the A413 - but that's a fast and at times narrow road.

Did I mention that the road surfaces were truly dreadful? Buckinghamshire seems to have given up on its lanes, and is only looking after its main roads. Loads of potholes, really coarse tarmac, and one section of a couple of miles where the road has just given up and died - a sign "Slow - failed road surface" rather underestimates the problem.

By dint of a bit of time-trialling into the outskirts of Aylesbury, and some lucky guesses as to which direction to take (since we were there last a couple of years ago new housing and schools have been built, and roads diverted - our GPS needs an update...) we made a train by 3 minutes, so sparing ourselves the ride into Aylesbury town proper. Since there were only 3 people on the train when it pulled out of AVP I suppose I can't complain too much that there's only an hourly service on a Sunday.

rvw

Guru
Along on the ride above: I hadn't originally planned to accompany @srw but changed my mind. My nice new bike carries on being much more comfortable than the old one!

My Garmin decided the coffee break was a complete stop and recorded the day in two bits:
upload_2016-8-14_20-32-37.png
upload_2016-8-14_20-33-49.png

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After disappointment at not getting in an Imperial Century during my week off (poor weather followed by a stinker of a cold) the forecast looked ideal for rectifying that today.:okay:

I was headed for Lake Vyrnwy going out via Montford Bridge, Great Ness, Knockin, and Llynclys then up the Tanat Valley to Pen-Y-Bont Fawr and over the hills to Llanwddyn and the lake.

I was up and about early and on the road not too long after seven. The roads are lovely and quiet at this time on a Sunday morning so I used the road where I would normally submit to the rougher and slower cycleways. All went well at the start and I made good progress to Little Ness where I greeted two other riders approaching the junction from the opposite direction. They appeared to follow me but when I looked back there was no sign so I assumed they'd gone another way. To my surprise, when I was just about to set off after a drink stop they caught up and made a point of overtaking down the hill but didn't pull away on the following flattish bit to Pentre. As their pace slowed I pulled up to chat - they were on a 30 mile loop from Oswestry and were getting back into it after a break from riding.

Pressing on again I got to Knockin and turned in the direction of Llynclys (20 miles) where I sent a text to my brother to let him know how I was getting on. As it turned out this would be the last time I had a mobile signal until I returned to Shropshire.:huh:

Going up the valley the traffic was a little busier than on previous trips and some of the driving wasn't what i'd hope for. Moron of the day goes to the guy in the orange VW pickup who gave me loads of room but forced the oncoming driver to a sudden halt accompanied by a flashing of lights and a selection of hand signals. The fact he had three bikes in the back didn't make me think any better of him.:rolleyes:

The first big climb of the day was despatched surprisingly easily and I enjoyed the descent the other side before climbing up to the lake. The road round Vyrnwy is as near dead flat as you could wish for so I enjoyed 11 miles of cruising at around 15/16 mph before a pause at Artisans Cafe.

I started my return trip by heading back round the lake the way I'd just come. A couple of miles in I was following another rider who was slightly faster than me initially but unexpectedly slowed so I overtook and carried on at my own pace. He then tailed me for the rest of the lap.

Usually the second climb over the hills is harder since I've got a Metric Century under my belt by this point but today it seemed easy, so much so that I tried a lane I haven't been along before which added to the climbing but was well worth it for the views.

After my lunch stop near Llanraeadr-ym-Mochnant I was overtaken by a faster rider on a lightweight bike who didn't disappear into the distance as I'd expected. Although he was faster I kept him in sight for several miles until a lorry that had overtaken me wasn't able to get past him due to the narrow and twisty road. As a queue built up I was now getting a benefit from the slipstream and slowly caught up as each vehicle got past. From the look on his face the chap wasn't overly impressed on looking back to see the pannier laden "hybrid" he'd passed about 10 miles ago right up behind him again.:shy: :laugh:

With the light winds I'd had a really good run and that continued as I headed a different way home via Melverley and Westbury before finally adding a little bit of mileage at the end by going the flatter way through Condover.

109.1 miles at a fast-for-me moving average of 14.9 mph:hyper: A new personal best for an imperial century! (Overall 8 hours and 45 minutes including stops). Very happy with that especially as this is not the route I would have chosen if trying to set a quick average speed.^_^

DSC0003730.jpg

Passing through Knockin.

DSC0003731.jpg

Flags out at the Cambrian Heritage Railway. They must have known I was coming.:whistle:
Edit to add: English, Welsh, Scottish and........ Italian. I wonder if that last was meant to have been Irish? :unsure:

DSC0003732.jpg

Stop for my second breakfast. Despite the place name I haven't left Shropshire yet.

DSC0003735.jpg

The Tanat Valley gets more rugged looking the further up you go. Not long 'till I have to start some proper climbing.

DSC0003743.jpg

Made it to Lake Vyrnwy.

DSC0003744.jpg

If only all utilitarian buildings had a bit of flair like this in their design.

DSC0003747.jpg

Trying to get an arty shot at the head of the lake. Not really working.

DSC0003750.jpg

Elevenses stop.

DSC0003754.jpg

Climbing back over the hills again and looking down into the Tanat Valley. I didn't see a single person or vehicle while taking this little detour.

DSC0003757.jpg

Nearing the end of the ride now and the first ripe blackberrys I've noticed this season. Autumn is on the way.

Last edited:
Couple of week-end rides.

Yesterdays club run was a mess for me;left late so bashed it for a bit(couple of bb's in the first few km's) but decided after a bit that I must be behind the mod group so rather than turning off for Swavesey I carried on up the busway to St Ives to meet up at the river tea rooms.Got there to see a mini easy group of three and then after ordering coffee and a snack the mods turned up.

Left with the mods but could feel some cramp in my calfs so decided to pace myself back on my own;so what should have been a group ride ended up being a solo run.still a nice 70k done and in the end the cramps didn't turn up.

https://www.strava.com/activities/674356202

Today was a good 30k loop via Haddenham and through Coveney and Little Downham with the better half;she's getting much stronger and kept a good steady pace and a best average so far of 22.4kph,think all that Yoga she's doing must be doing something.

https://www.strava.com/activities/675414655

Over 7,500kms for the year now so ahead of the pace now in my personal 12,000k challenge.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Today was a most unexpected metric 100. A surfeit of cheap cider and a late night on Saturday required a lie in this morning so I didn't get out of the house until nearly 1pm. Instead of one of the road bikes, I decided to take the Cube MTB/Hybrid thing out for a relaxed meander along the back lanes, intending just to be out for a couple of hours.

Just over four hours later I was home having done a loop out to Waldringfield and Martlesham and then the back road via Levington & Nacton to Ipswich, up to Rushmere and then out to Claydon simply to ride along a restricted byway that I've only ever done in the opposite direction. After that it was simply a choice of the most direct route home through Ipswich or more back roads - an easy decision which took me the scenic route through Bramford & Sproughton before heading home.

Most enjoyable.

https://www.strava.com/activities/676113631/

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Woke up on Sunday morning with a dodgy toe (related to a bee sting a week earlier), so went to A&E where a doctor found & removed a tiny remaining fragment of stinger. Felt better immediately, but had missed my planned early/long bike ride. Had to make do with just a short local loop instead.

Set a new PB up Box Hill, then backtracked to Mickleham because of a conversation with @swansonj the day before; we'd discussed the old Norbury Park road. Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought @swansonj had used his Tandem on that road... Chapeau if true, because I could barely stay upright on my bike. OMG, potholes! Gravel! Sand! Horses! Dogsh*t! Not the place for a road bike.

swansonj

Guru
Woke up on Sunday morning with a dodgy toe (related to a bee sting a week earlier), so went to A&E where a doctor found & removed a tiny remaining fragment of stinger. Felt better immediately, but had missed my planned early/long bike ride. Had to make do with just a short local loop instead.

Set a new PB up Box Hill, then backtracked to Mickleham because of a conversation with @swansonj the day before; we'd discussed the old Norbury Park road. Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought @swansonj had used his Tandem on that road... Chapeau if true, because I could barely stay upright on my bike. OMG, potholes! Gravel! Sand! Horses! Dogsh*t! Not the place for a road bike.
Sounds familiar. But remember, the one advantage a tandem has on hills is that you don't have to worry about lifting the front wheel.....

Top Bottom