Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simontm

Veteran
So continuing the mileage prior to Ride London thought I'd go North West. So Kingston, Twickenham, Syon Lane, Greenford up to Harrow and Harrow on the Hill- they're not joking about the hill, Sudbury Hill, quite a surprise to encounter. Then over Pinner, Northwood and to Rickmansworth.
Quick stop at St Mary's...
IMG_3854.JPG
Then off on the return leg where I found a cracking country lane, Springwell Lane even if it had a devious climb, 18% at one point according to Strava but a lovely lane ruined only by the fly tipping.
Over to Harefield and a hairy decent to West Hyde - hairy only for the queue at the bottom.
Back on another lovely road that alas turns onto the A412 to Denham.
Over the M40 down to Uxbridge and the joy of the Uxbridge Road. I really enjoy the pace of the road and to a driver, every vehicle was excellent in sharing space.
Through Southall, Heston, Hampton, quick spin through Bushy Park, Hampton Court and home.
53miles, 3:29
FullSizeRender.jpg

rugby bloke

Veteran
After a long and frustrating day on the laptop it was great to get out for a 20 mile blast. It was one of those rides when everything just falls into place - perfect weather, sensible drivers and all necessary body parts working correctly. As a result I managed to average 17 mph - not particularly impressive but the best I've ever achieved. Even had someone use me as a tow up the the Bedford Road. Normally other riders cannot peddle slowly enough to stay behind me. He dropped me as soon as we reached the climb into Little Houghton but hay ho ! And strike me down, I was even quickest time of the day on a Strava section. Never happened before, properly will never happen again ! I did not notice any discomfort from the saddle either, so clearly if my backside hurts it means I am not riding quick enough. That's proper science that ...

upload_2017-7-12_21-4-16.png

Katherine

Guru
A lovely evening ride, I went down the cycle path all the way to haydock which I very rarely do these days since most of my rides are with the club. I have always enjoyed marking the seasons at certain points, either what's in the fields or particular trees etc.
Haydock apples, July 2017.jpg

This is the view when I turn my back to the busy junction with the M6
Haydock view, field July2017.jpg

I then took a long loop back through the lovely lanes of Kenyon, Croft, Culcheth and Glazebrook to get to the A57 Cadishead way back though Partington and Irlam to Peel Green and then home via the port Salford Greenway.
I was quite surprised to see a large container ship slowing down for Irlam Locks, something that the ship canal was designed and built for but a rare sight thses days.
Ship on the ship canal.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, as per usual..

Early start (08:15 ish) for me <yawn> but I had to be back home by lunchtime and needed some miles. I called in at a mates house for coffee and cake at about 09:00 and headed towards Market Harborough through the old railway tunnels. As we'd not really planned to go that direction, I only had my little blinky lights fitted. It was dark, but not scary :ph34r: but, until the eyes adjusted to the dark, we wobbled a bit close to the walls on occasion..

IMG_2375.JPG

Looking up one of the airvents to the sky above half way along the tunnel.

IMG_2379.JPG

I clambered up the side of the tunnel entrance for an aerial shot of the trail.

IMG_2381.JPG

Continuing northwards, we stopped for another coffee at the Waterloo Cafe before a few hundred yards on tarmac to Great Oxendon where we were back on quieter roads to Arthingworth, and back onto the old railway, for some miles back towards home.

We went our separate ways near the Windhover pub, with me heading up the hill through Boughton and Moulton villages and home.

A pleasant 46 miles in ever improving weather, having been a bit grey and dismal at first.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1079764950

:smile:

postman

Legendary Member
Just back from Otley 24 miles.It was lovely after the 54 miles to York last time i was out.
I have decided along with my mate,to go back to basics.After having so much time off last year with the prostate.I have decided to do short 20-30 miles rides what is left of this summer and autumn ,i am going to sneak up on my 60+ miles rides sometimes next year.So today was the first,it was wonderful,i even tagged onto the back wheel of a lady shopper on a Dawes Galaxy Tourer,she did not mind,she had a lovely fluid cycling technique.It was the same coming back i got behind another older cyclist for a few yards and matched him stroke for stroke,i thanked him for allowing me to hug his wheel.Result Otley Road 28mph then dropped to 14mph.Nice day out.

Back on the bike after a two and a half week hiatus - though I'd been doing lots of walking in the interim. I prefer walking to cycling when I'm in a busy urban environment, but it's sure good to be back out on two wheels. :smile:

Nothing special this morning really, just an 8 mile round trip to Littleport along Downham Common and Black Bank to pick up mum's prescription. Was actually pretty warm out, but warm = loads of flies, especially those diddy little ones that just get *everywhere*. My lovely new pink jersey wasn't quite so pink in fairly short order. Popped into the Co-op on the way home and picked up a pineapple and two pieces of caramelized onion cheddar on YS.

Was hardly anyone about, but did spot a couple of folks bimbling around on hybrids.

Will have time for a longer ride over the weekend. :bicycle:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another trip out with Doug today. Due to reports of bad traffic on the A49 we changed our intended route and started off following a footpath, :secret: then took to the road heading through Hook-a-Gate, Annscroft, Plealey and up the steeper of the climbs to Oaks. Doug didn't recall having come this way before so I kept my mouth shut.:evil:

He did alright on the climb although the very low bottom gear on his bike did come into play. At Oaks we had a look at the view and talked about the options. Doug's not quite ready for the hilly stuff I had in mind so we went for an option I haven't done for ages: heading back onto the main road at Wrentnall and enjoying the nice fast, flowing downhill (with the wind behind us) through Longden Common (got up to 32 mph here) and onto Long Lane.

Riding along and chatting I suddenly thought it might be good to take the lane to Longden. Doug liked the idea so we did. Avoiding white van man who was flying along (good job we were riding single file just at this point) we got into the village and had another bit of good downhill before the next right turn.

The last leg was climbing up past Great Lyth and Lyth Bank, over the hill (chatted to another rider at the top) and down the rough track on the way home before taking the long way round the village to finish off.

14 miles at a fairly leisurely 10.1 mph average.

DSC0004753.jpg

The view from our drink stop on the climb to Oaks. There were some showers about but fortunately we didn't get very wet.

DSC0004758.jpg

Doug tackles the track across the top of Lyth Hill. It doesn't look too bad in the photos.

DSC0004760.jpg

The view from Lyth Hill to the Wrekin. In the middle distance you can just make out the long queue of traffic trying to get through Bayston Hill which made us change our plans at the start..

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
My first run out with the Mercia CC lads was had today with a spin over to Cannock Chase. I had a cracking ride in great company, covering 100 km. It pee`d it down on the way back but that didnt spoil the ride.

Here`s me washing down my bacon sarnie with a cup of tea, with our very own @cyberknight on the same table, to my right. :thumbsup:

View attachment 358932

Was Kenny Dalglish riding with your group or did he just happen to be at the same cake stop?

https://www.strava.com/activities/1081925882/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1499972885

A little 30 mile jaunt out to the Bat and Ball al Hambledon, to test a saddle swap, before tomorrow's 170 mile effort.
IMG_4928.JPG

The church at Upham.

IMG_4930.JPG

Bike in front of a gate.

IMG_4932.JPG

Old Winchester Hill.

IMG_4935.JPG

My buddy Terry finishing off the climb.

IMG_4938.JPG

Stop at the Bat and Ball Hambledon.

IMG_4940.JPG

A hot air balloon.

IMG_4941.JPG

Lovely evening for it.

IMG_4942.JPG

View across a field, nearly home.

IMG_4944.JPG

What a nice day for it.

30 miles done, saddle test success.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1081925882

Attachments

• IMG_4939.JPG
    IMG_4939.JPG
    271.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Visited family back in Durham last couple of days but had to get out to keep up riding with RideLondon just a few weeks away. So did what I never did as a child and rode out through the lovely countryside of County Durham to the seaside.

Photo 13-07-2017, 12 06 04.jpg

Quite a bit hillier than I remember, hitting nearly 3k ft of climbing in the 40 miles, felt like I was constantly either climbing or descending the whole time.

Great Lumley had a random seat facing Chester Le Street and Durham's Cricket Ground in the distance (you can just about make out the floodlights to the right).

Photo 13-07-2017, 12 22 43.jpg

Seaham beach was as lovely as ever...

Photo 13-07-2017, 13 10 22.jpg

Photo 13-07-2017, 13 11 36.jpg

Photo 13-07-2017, 13 29 38.jpg

I cut off before reaching the main harbour area, and headed back via Haswell Plough and it's wind farms.

Photo 13-07-2017, 14 19 03.jpg

Photo 13-07-2017, 14 24 59.jpg

Really enjoyable 40 miles. Stayed dry and warm, but did have quite a bit of wind at times.

Wish I had done more proper cycling when I was a nipper. ;)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1082139210

Simontm

Veteran
Quick pootle out this evening. Through Bushy Park, up to Stanwell and Stanwell Moor where I saw a path to take...if I was on a MTB so turned around and went back on the road to Wraysbury, Staines then up through Egham, Thorpe, Chertsey and Weybridge where on the dual carriage way from St George's College an HGV decided to overtake me by not using the other lane, cue heart in mouth and much swearing. Anyway, Walton, Hampton Court, home.
35miles, 2:04
FullSizeRender.jpg

Old jon

Guru
Breezy, still bright, and so out with the Ellis Briggs. Some vague idea of hills, which does not help much, everywhere is up from here, but eventually decided on Eccup and the drop into the Wharfe valley via Weardley. How did I reach Eccup? Read on . . .

Much like Wednesday, Jack Lane, the Holbeck end of it, onto the towpath and head towards Liverpool. That way would have been hills, the canal almost goes over the top of the Pennines, but I left it at Viaduct Road for the ride through Headingley to Lawnswood. Turn right onto Chapel Lane and keep on past Adel Dam and the New Inn at Eccup to the top of the hill that drops through Weardley to the A 659.

Turn right, towards Harewood Bridge and then left to cross the Wharfe. It’s a bit of a drag of a ride up to the Kirkby Overblow junction, turn right there, and I bravely ( spell that daftly ) took the next right for Kearby and Netherby. And Kearby Bank, as I think it is called politely. Score Kearby Bank 2 jon 0. And if I had travelled through Kirkby Overblow I would have climbed just as much and had a much more interesting road to ride upon. Anyway, on to Sicklinghall and a few miles further to Wetherby and a bit of traffic congestion. I wonder what was going on? The legs were feeling the miles, so the A 58 all the way back to Roundhay, and the consolation whizz down Boot Hill, and after recrossing the River Aire at Crown Point Bridge I reached home 33.7 miles after leaving it. One of the more vertical rides I do, 1600 feet of climbing, says the Garmin, my legs are not arguing with that. I am happy also, unlike the aforesaid legs.
A different shape to the map . . .

14072017.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I finally got the chance to ride a previously planned ride this week: setting off Tuesday from Pocklington (York) through to Great Easton, cutting across to Welton and then back north. 730+km in total as a DIY event:https://www.strava.com/activities/1082409933

It all went well until just before what will be the Great Easton control when a spoke snapped at 11pm. Couldn't someone have been there just in case practice riders have a mechanical ;-) Hobbling to McDonald's at London Stansted they must've wondered about the oddity with wheel parts sat there - I fitted a Fiberfix Emergency Spoke which took a while but did the trick until Richardson's Cycles in St Ives fixed it properly and quickly. All credit to them for just getting on and having me back on the road in under an hour. All otherwise fine except for my routing with MapMyRide taking me up an umade bridleway. Oh, and I nearly ended up in the River Cam whilst trying to weave through students at 9pm! Given I'm not able to ride a bike well due to injuries suffered last year this'll do and rider Q40 will be there for a 10.30am start on the 30th.

Pocklington control:

19956873_10159056103650437_6906252636793436660_o.jpg

New York? Boston? I knew this was a long way from home:

20017889_10159056108385437_6949306657100117445_o.jpg

Top Bottom