Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Day three of the Bank Holiday weekend, the sun shining in the sky and all morning for a ride - what's not to love?

Avoiding the inevitable traffic chaos that surrounds 70,000 people trying to get out of the Leeds Festival site means keeping well away from any of the roads out that way, so I headed up Leeds Road to Scholes and carried on through Barwick, pleasantly descending all the way until I started climbing up Cattle Lane and the lumpiness towards Aberford, getting my first close pass of the day from a fool in a Focus. Through the village and the climb under the A1(M) bridge and up to Lotherton Gates, for more descending to the Crooked Billet pub, before taking the right turn up that sharp little hill to Saxton, where I stopped by the church for my first photos of the day:
IMG_20170828_085757388_HDR.jpg

I noticed this in the sky above the village - not sure if @Marmion has been taking flying lessons, or if it was Simon Cowell advertising the return of his karaoke show next week...:laugh:
IMG_20170828_090030068_HDR.jpg

Anyway, back on the bike and where to next? I'd set off with only a vague route in mind and decided to see how my legs felt. The good news is that they were feeling OK, so I continued east, first to Barkston Ash and then Church Fenton and on for a circuit of the airfield, out to Ryther on the gloriously quiet Brackenhill Lane and then back via Ozendyke and Ulleskelf, stopping at the airport gates for another photo:
IMG_20170828_094341476_HDR.jpg

Back into Church Fenton to complete the circuit and then left at the roundabout for another new (to me) road heading for Sherburn-in-Elmet.
I was heading into the wind now, but although it's as flat as it gets here there were some hedges to offer protection and before long the huge British Gypsum plant loomed large at the side of the road. I contemplated a photo but didn't bother it's just essentially a couple of huge boxes at the side of the road with everything going on out of sight inside.
I soon reached the roundabout and took the turning for Sherburn itself and started the steady climb up Kirkgate to the traffic lights and straight across before taking the right onto St John's Lane, which becomes Coldhill Lane as it heads out into the rolling countryside, under the railway line and very gently drops down to Coldhill Pond, where I stopped for a breather and some flapjack - and a couple more pics:

IMG_20170828_101427172_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170828_102036676_HDR.jpg

It's a short, sharp climb from here up Coldhill lane, which then quickly drops onto Copley Lane for a steady climb towards Lotherton Gates, and as I was passing the old exit from Lotherton Hall I was very nearly hit by a falling conker!!! Blimey, autumn is here, despite the sunshine! :rolleyes:

Anyway, disaster avoided, it was round past the entrance and on towards Garforth under the bridge carrying the M1 where traffic was at a virtual standstill.
The road then climbs steadily, and into the wind as well today, all the way to the M1 at Jct 47 and it was close pass central on there today - I've had problems on this stretch of road in the past but it's been OK when I've used it recently. I can only assume that Bank Holidays bring out the nations worst drivers...:dry:

Around the roundabout, with northbound traffic on the M1 below at a total standstill and onto the A642 and up and then down towards Garforth.
The lights at the pelican crossing outside Tesco were at red and as we set off I got the closest pass of the day from a yo-yo in a Volvo with two empty bike carriers on the roof! :cursing: Totally unacceptable from fellow cyclist. :stop:

On with the ride and right under the railway and over the M1 (again) to see three lanes of northbound traffic barely moving and the gantry signs flashing away like it was Christmas. Up the hill into Barwick where some kind soul has turned the temporary traffic lights off and where I had to stop to take my arm warmers off as it had got so warm. So a chance for a final photo:
IMG_20170828_110016418_HDR.jpg

Notice the West Yorkshire Cycle Way signs? Although it's on road here, go a mile or two in either direction and you'll find yourself on unmade and at times very muddy bridleways. A shame as its a pretty good route but can't decide if it's an on or off road ride which means you'll often find yourself on the "wrong" sort of bike for the surface.

Saddled up and the inevitable steady climb up Leeds Road, before the plunge into Scholes and the eventual drop down to Cock Beck (into the wind, again...) before picking up local roads to home.

35.28 miles (56.77km) in a steady 2h 37m at an average of 13.4mph with 1,368ft climbed and an average temperature of 19.0°C

So, another metric half banked on a gloriously sunny day when I set off with no real route in mind and ended up with a really enjoyable ride, despite the efforts of a handful of motoring morons.
And as an added bonus I've totted up an unexpected 100 miles over the last three days, which is something I certainly wasn't expecting. Plus a bit of schadenfreude to see all those motorists stuck in jams while I just kept on rolling. :whistle:
What's not to love? ^_^

And to end, the map:
28082017.JPG

Last edited:
Nice one @NorthernDave :okay:

I too was, out there today, but in car with wife & daughter
Came out of Castleford, up the Ridge Road, then could see over to the M1 (as it is at that point), by the new junction, north of Garforth
I drove along the old road, over the M1, & joined the new 'GNR' (as it's named, even though it's not the original route) to HookMoor
Traffic was backing up there too, to come out at the cross-roads

We went past Lotherton Hall, spotting a decent group of Wakefield Triathlon Club riders, coming out of Lotherton Lane, & turning towards HookMoor

We parked near the Memorial (Dacres Cross), & walked the 'Battlefield Trail', & even got them to detour down to Cock Beck, on the Old London Road

DSCF3750.JPG DSCF3752.JPG

Re; East Leeds Airport, it's a bit awkward to photograph the building, with that stainless steel sign, with no reflections

Daughter likes the house, at Coldhill, when I've driven her past it before

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Out for a Bank Holiday Monday ride, with @Rickshaw Phil and unbelievably the first time we have done a proper ride together since mid September last year!!

The forecast was completely wrong, meaning it was disappointingly cloudy and a strong South/SW wind blowing. The wind was behind us for the majority of the first half of the ride, meaning we made good progress out of Shrewsbury and then to Uffington, Upton Magna, Bings Heath and Shawbury.

The main road to Wem can be very busy, but wasn't too bad today, especially for a Bank Hol and the traffic was all really well behaved.

From Wem we joined the lanes to Tilley, Noneley and Loppington. Things got a bit more lumpy from there, as we wound our way up to English Frankton (there is a Welsh one nearby!) and then along the pretty lanes towards Colemere and some harder climbing to Whitemere.

Next was the narrow lane over Tetchill Moor, arriving in Tetchill and we then turned into the strong headwind for a long hard section to Hordley and the deceptively steep climb to Rednal, pausing for lunch in a gateway on the way.

I knew there was a left turn required in Rednal, so took the first one and after descending the hill we arrived at the Industrial Estate......which we didnt want to be at!! I'd taken the wrong turn, so we had to climb back up the hill, but it was an important mistake (to become clearer later on in the report)

Back out onto the wind and took the correct left turn, this time, to Grimpo and West Felton, where we crossed the A5 via the bridge and kept battling on to Woolston. It's tradition, on our Bank Hol rides, to stop for a pint and we discussed the options available to us, with The Royal Hill at Pentre the favourite option. Hadn't stopped there before, but have always wanted to and so Phil suggested a detour along roads I hadn't used before, to Maesbrook.

We finally turned out of the wind again, after what seemed a lifetime, passing through Crosslanes and Melverley Green, arriving at the very busy bit lovely old pub. We enjoyed a nice pint of Three Tuns XXX (very nice :cheers:) in the sun, which had finally come out from behind the clouds, but being pestered by Wasps a bit though, as it's getting to that time of the year again.

It was hard work starting out again, after the pint, but the wind behind us helped as we climbed up the hard section past Nesscliffe Army Camp and up to Great Ness. Once the climb is out of the way, it's good flat cycling terrain to Little Ness and Montford Bridge, but the lanes were extremely busy with traffic today, rat running to avoid the Bank Holiday queues on the A5. We were a bit concerned that the next section on the main road to Shrewsbury wouldn't be pleasant, due to this and boy we weren't wrong!

I will gloss over most of the complete idiotic lunatics, but they included the second encounter this weekend with a prat pulling a caravan, who came too close to us and cut across me when the car passed me, not the caravan :cursing: (2 fingered salute required again) Then a pillock on a bike swerved towards me on the cycle lane :thumbsdown:. Bad enough when drivers are out to get you, never mind one of us!!

We arrived back at my house and the previously mentioned wrong turn in Rednal had meant I'd clocked up 62.5 miles, so my 4th ever Metric Century :hyper:. Avg speed was 13.4 mph and 2033 ft of climbing. Also takes me past 200 miles for August, not often I get that mark in a month.

@Rickshaw Phil was chief photographer on the ride and so will provide some shots in his ride report :okay:

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
As @gavgav has already done his report above I'll keep mine briefish:

I set out with the Dawes and got to Gav's just before half nine with the plan of heading out to do about 55 miles. He'd mentioned some gear issues on his bike so I had a bit of a tinker with the adjustment before we set off heading out of town via Heathgates, Uffington (still some signs of the sewage flood there) and on to Upton Magna. After getting over the climb along the edge of Haughmond Hill we got along at quite a brisk pace, helped a little by the wind which was much stronger than the forecast had suggested.

We had a brief stop on the way to Shawbury then continued to Wem (good bit of fast descent off Palms Hill) and onto the lanes again to Loppington, Colemere and Tetchill. Looking at the map now I realise that we took a longer way to Tetchill than we needed to.

A lunch stop was taken in a field entrance after Hordley then suitably refreshed we headed on to Rednal where we took the wrong turn mentioned and had to double back. There were a few lanes I haven't ridden for a long time plus some that were new to me and some new to Gav as we headed through Maesbrook and onward to the Royal Hill.

Pints supped we carried on. I felt a bit wobbly for a short while. Good job it was only 1 pint.

By this point we knew that our mileage was going to be well over what was originally planned and getting in a metric century was first mentioned. Going via Great Ness helped towards this and being a lot less undulating helped too.

Gav has mentioned some of the awful driving we encountered between Montford Bridge and Shrewsbury. I'll mention the BMW that almost hit me by trying to blast past through a junction and the Audi that passed us doing something like 80mph in a 40 limit.:blink:

After parting from Gav I had just a couple of miles to home, mostly on cyclepath so I didn't need to mix with the motorists much thank goodness.

66.1 miles for me at 13.3 mph average.

DSC0005012.jpg

First stop for a bite to eat..........

DSC0005013.jpg

........and another at English Frankton.

DSC0005016.jpg

Whitemere. I was surprised nobody was out sailing today with it being the bank holiday and ideal conditions.

DSC0005018.jpg

Gav at The Royal Hill.

DSC0005019.jpg

And me. Edit: only just noticed that's my own bike reflected in the glass just behind me. Couldn't have been better if it was planned.:laugh:

DSC0005021.jpg

Took this to show how windy it was.

DSC0005022.jpg

Crossing the A5. Everything is coming to a halt as the trek home begins.

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Weekend rides. Saturday we did a loop of Stanstead nice and easy stopped at Mount fichtet for a nice breakfast, then back to the pub for a beer or three,lol.
Sunday was a day of ,going round the shops looking for stuff to finish the bathroom, did I ever mention I hate shopping, met up with a mate after and went for a beer.
Monday morning 8am meet in Enfield Town, for a ride out to Saffron Walden, had a nice breakfast and a very nice coffee in bicicletta cafe.can recommend that cafe. Had a steady ride back to Hatfield Heath for a coffee stop on the way back, my other half was suffering with the heat.then 24 miles back to the pub for a nice cold beer and a nice bit of grub,great weekend, we need more bank holidays.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1153301162

https://www.strava.com/activities/1156727405

gavgav

Guru
As @gavgav has already done his report above I'll keep mine briefish:

I set out with the Dawes and got to Gav's just before half nine with the plan of heading out to do about 55 miles. He'd mentioned some gear issues on his bike so I had a bit of a tinker with the adjustment before we set off heading out of town via Heathgates, Uffington (still some signs of the sewage flood there) and on to Upton Magna. After getting over the climb along the edge of Haughmond Hill we got along at quite a brisk pace, helped a little by the wind which was much stronger than the forecast had suggested.

We had a brief stop on the way to Shawbury then continued to Wem (good bit of fast descent off Palms Hill) and onto the lanes again to Loppington, Colemere and Tetchill. Looking at the map now I realise that we took a longer way to Tetchill than we needed to.

A lunch stop was taken in a field entrance after Hordley then suitably refreshed we headed on to Rednal where we took the wrong turn mentioned and had to double back. There were a few lanes I haven't ridden for a long time plus some that were new to me and some new to Gav as we headed through Maesbrook and onward to the Royal Hill.

Pints supped we carried on. I felt a bit wobbly for a short while. Good job it was only 1 pint.

By this point we knew that our mileage was going to be well over what was originally planned and getting in a metric century was first mentioned. Going via Great Ness helped towards this and being a lot less undulating helped too.

Gav has mentioned some of the awful driving we encountered between Montford Bridge and Shrewsbury. I'll mention the BMW that almost hit me by trying to blast past through a junction and the Audi that passed us doing something like 80mph in a 40 limit.:blink:

After parting from Gav I had just a couple of miles to home, mostly on cyclepath so I didn't need to mix with the motorists much thank goodness.

66.1 miles for me at 13.3 mph average.

View attachment 370444
First stop for a bite to eat..........

View attachment 370445
........and another at English Frankton.

View attachment 370446
Whitemere. I was surprised nobody was out sailing today with it being the bank holiday and ideal conditions.

View attachment 370447
Gav at The Royal Hill.

View attachment 370448
And me.

View attachment 370449
Took this to show how windy it was.

View attachment 370450
Crossing the A5. Everything is coming to a halt as the trek home begins.
Yes I've had a look at the map and realised I meant to turn right and then first left to Tetchill, rather than left and first right :laugh:. Explains why the Tetchill Moor Lane didn't seem overly familiar with me (I have used it once before though!)

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'm back in north Norfolk for a few days - sneaked out this afternoon for a ride around the Holkham area near Wells.

IMG_2202.JPG

Stopped at my favourite bench for a drink with an old pal. The Earl of Liecester no less, plus dog.

IMG_2203.JPG

Not a bad view from the bench. A good spot for the Earl.
UB40 were here performing last night, not much evidence of the concert today except a few loos!

IMG_2204.JPG

And a bit further along.

IMG_2205.JPG

Headed back the quiet way.
(I know the 1 pannier thing looks odd, but I don't notice it and it seems daft carrying 2 panniers when I only really need one).

IMG_2207.JPG

Finally through the 'Triumphal Arch'. Apparently you can rent it as a holiday let. Certainly unusual!

A fine day in the saddle in perfect conditions. Heading back home tomorrow- 25 mile ride to Lynn station, then train to Ely and then the final 15 miles back to my village. I'll be lugging my fully loaded bike over that bridge with loads of steps at Burwell Lode @Elybazza61 went over upthread (great pics) always a joy!

Last edited:
Another utility ride today - this time a 10 mile round trip to Tesco in Ely as I really needed to do a proper grocery shop rather than pick up bits from the Co-op. How do I get my groceries home on a bike you may ask? My lovely neighbour came to pick up my bags of shopping as he was already in the area and dropped them off home for me. :thumbsup:

Was really warm out - rode out at lunchtime in a mix of cycling and ordinary clobber, namely lycra jersey and jeans. :heat: Was a bit of an icky combo, but I didn't fancy pootling around Tesco all afternoon in full get up. :blush: Loads of cyclists out and about including the local plumber.

Rode out up Downham Common and California and thence onto the B1411 Ely Road. Then over the A10 and up into town and round to Angel Drove via the Prickwillow Road. This was my commute to the station over the Winter, so nice to do it in warm sunshine and with no traffic. Took me just a shade over half an hour into a brisk little headwind. Shopping over, I came home via Fore Hill (didn't quite make it all the way to the top as my knees were kind of shot by this time) and Brays Lane before joining the Downham Road. The new Leisure Village was really busy and the aroma of fish and chips was tempting me to stop... :hungry: Home in half an hour too, so a good little ride. :bicycle:

As an aside, the stand of hazelnut bushes I'd noticed the other day were a bust. They'd already been picked clean. :sad: And I somehow managed to get oil on my new cycling mitts. :cry:

Katherine

Guru
I had a wonderful ride yesterday. I'm staying at my parents, looking after my dad while mum is in hospital and I have brought my bike for the first time. Last week I asked the forum members for nice road routes from the Winchester area and did anyone want to go for a ride. @jay clock responded, inviting me to join him on a ride he was leading yesterday. He and his riding friends were very friendly and welcoming. Due to my busy summer, I haven't ridden with a group since the end of the summer term, so it was lovely to have the company and (encouragement when I slowed down towards the end.) We did 36 hilly miles. One of the nice things about these hills compared to a lot I've ridden around Cornwall and Lancashire, is that they mostly quite straight so you can see where you are going on the descents and a lot of the time you can go straight up the other side. Jay led us through the lovely lanes of the Hampshire countryside some of which were memory lanes for me although I hadn't cycled them before. We went through Crawley, Little Somborne, Stockbridge, Houghton, Mottisfont, Michelmersh, Kings Somborne, Ashley, back through Farley Mount and Crab Wood where we always went to play and explore. When I lived here I used my bike to get from A to B, cycling to college, youth club, cleaning and babysitting jobs etc. So seeing places by bike gives a great aspect.

IMG_20170828_101805559.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Would have posted this ride earlier but have been away on hols with the family and couldn't for the life of me figure out how to post pictures from a kindle fire? :surrender:
Anyhow, back home now and have had a fantastic week at The Bluestones resort, just at the North-eastern tip of the Daugleddau estuary on the Pembrokeshire coast.
Have done a number of family rides in the estuary area and amassed a good 60+ miles of sedate (but occasionally hilly) rides with the Skol troop in tow. What I really needed was a proper ride out on my own to get the legs, lungs and heart working so on Saturday evening I set off a couple of hours before dinner to blast over to Pendine Sands and back.
I planned a route that started off on a stony forest track through Canastan Woods, complete with a couple of small fords to splash through, before taking to some very small back roads and a couple of faster roads, none of which could be described as busy. I covered the 15.5 miles in exactly an hour, including the cliff like drop off the tops into Pendine where I hit 46mph before slamming on for the left turn to the seafront at the bottom of the hill. Not much time to hang about so I flagged down the passing icecream van as he plied his trade along the flat beach and I bought a single cone Mr Whippy with flake (£2.80! :eek:) before setting off back to base. The climb back up the precipice I had just flown down was despatched with little trouble and I was soon romping along on my trusty hybrid with the sun setting and tractors bobbing back and forth trying to get all the hay in while the sun was shining.

I was glad I had my glasses on when this critter hit!
upload_2017-8-29_10-17-17.png

I was probably not doing much more than 20mph but he must have been fat, juicy and loaded because he made a lovely splat as he bounced off the right lens.

upload_2017-8-29_10-20-20.png
upload_2017-8-29_10-21-22.png
upload_2017-8-29_10-21-48.png

Some bad images of the ride stats just to show the amount of climbing and top speed achieved :okay:

The best bit for me is the altitude trace. This is for the entire ride out and back and the interesting bit is the huge hole in the middle where I dropped down to the beach at Pendine....
upload_2017-8-29_10-25-32.png

And in case you are wondering, I made it back for dinner with time to spare :angel:

jay clock

Massive member
I had a wonderful ride yesterday. I'm staying at my parents, looking after my dad while mum is in hospital and I have brought my bike for the first time. Last week I asked the forum members for nice road routes from the Winchester area and did anyone want to go for a ride. @jay clock responded, inviting me to join him on a ride he was leading yesterday. He and his riding friends were very friendly and welcoming. Due to my busy summer, I haven't ridden with a group since the end of the summer term, so it was lovely to have the company and (encouragement when I slowed down towards the end.) We did 36 hilly miles. One of the nice things about these hills compared to a lot I've ridden around Cornwall and Lancashire, is that they mostly quite straight so you can see where you are going on the descents and a lot of the time you can go straight up the other side. Jay led us through the lovely lanes of the Hampshire countryside some of which were memory lanes for me although I hadn't cycled them before. We went through Crawley, Little Somborne, Stockbridge, Houghton, Mottisfont, Michelmersh, Kings Somborne, Ashley, back through Farley Mount and Crab Wood where we always went to play and explore. When I lived here I used my bike to get from A to B, cycling to college, youth club, cleaning and babysitting jobs etc. So seeing places by bike gives a great aspect.

View attachment 370534
@Katherine it was a pleasure! See you any time!

Jay

13 rider

Guru
Something different today drove out to Rutland Water with the hybrid in the boot . Parked in a local village to tight to pay for parking :laugh:. The plan was to do the circuit around the reservoir done parts of it in the roadie but it gets a bit rough so hybrid called off commuting duties . First up the road in Empingham to bag a veloviewer square then off to Stokes lane car park and off round the water . Did the full 23 mile route glad I took the hybrid the track a lot rougher in parts even had the suspension unlocked on some sections . Was out reasonably early so there trail was nice and quiet . Passed a couple of dads with kids on tag alongs which were wobbling on the rough trail looks like hard work . Got a bit busier around the Normanton church Section over the Dam wall And retrace back to Normanton car park for coffee and a sausage bap . Had a good look round the Rutland cycles store but resisted the temptation to buy anything just ! . Then back on the road a slightly extended route to get a 50 km ride in . Really enjoyed doing a bit of off road for a change

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A small change from just commuting for me today. Woken up by the dog after a night shift, so hopped onto the Brmpton to go to the local Halfords to collect my bargain Boardman jersey. Bought one on offer at £20 a few months back and very pleased with it, so when they were reduced to £15 online I ordered another. 6.2 miles done, new jersey cost £3.50 after BC discount and finding a voucher so pleased with that.
Look to be on track for the Strava distance challenge, 751 miles done, 26 to go...

Top Bottom