Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I woke this morning planning to ride to Windsor Great Park on the trike to see the wintery landscape. Once again I have been thwarted, this time by my lads school closing. So while he built a snowman I had a quick 2 mile pootle on the trike over to Great Fosters and back. Discovering handbrake turns on the trike brought out my inner child^_^^_^
A fun little ride, and glad I was on 3 wheels.
28th Feb 2018 Trike Snow 1.jpg

28th Feb 2018 Trike Snow 2.jpg

28th Feb 2018 Trike Snow 3.jpg

It was a little chilly

13 rider

Guru
I woke this morning planning to ride to Windsor Great Park on the trike to see the wintery landscape. Once again I have been thwarted, this time by my lads school closing. So while he built a snowman I had a quick 2 mile pootle on the trike over to Great Fosters and back. Discovering handbrake turns on the trike brought out my inner child^_^^_^
A fun little ride, and glad I was on 3 wheels.
View attachment 397815

View attachment 397816

View attachment 397817

It was a little chilly
Less worries about ice on a trike

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
[QUOTE 5164675, member: 9609"]with snowy roads forecast for the rest of the week I thought I must make an effort and get a few miles in. It looks like a spring day but it was cold, +1 when I set of and -2 when I got back 5 hours later. [/QUOTE]

..... And still no bloomin' bar tape! You must have spectactularly good gloves.

Tin Pot

Guru
Well my wattbike Atom is indoors
There must have been a period when you were fighting to get warm before the cold set in
I continue my indooor sessions 5-6 times a week

Briefly. I started disrobing after five minutes of warm up, dripping sweat in ten

:okay:

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
As I cycled through snowmageddon yesterday, I smugly thought, "I beat the Beast from the East" In reality, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.

I had to go to work, at a school 3 miles away, usually I would use my Sirrus for this, but it is currently laid up with catastrophic front chainring failure, so I took the Rockhopper instead, which given the weather, was probably quite a useful coincidence due to the big fat, knobbly tyres rather than the 28 mm Sirrus ones. My wife urged me to throw the bike in the car, but I reasoned that if things got too bad, I could always walk what was left of 3 the miles each way.

With 7 layers on, and 2 pairs of gloves, I set off and the only problem was it was a bit blustery, but nothing like as cruel as the BBC website said it would be. It had still snowed though, and that put paid to working outside, so we had to go home early. Having not been out since Sunday I was itching for a ride, and the conditions would make the local Coastal Woodland nature reserve route a bit more interesting than usual, so I nipped down the Formby Bypass and into Freshfield, past the really posh houses and along the path by Freshfield station, then up to Fisherman's Path. This takes you across the railway into Formby golf course, and sadly is a place several people have been killed, some by taking their own life, and others because the trains appear suddenly and apparently their sound doesn't emerge until they are very close.

The "Cyclists Dismount" sign amuses me slightly, I mean, what choice do you have?
IMG_20180301_112627215.jpg

IMG_20180301_112458731_HDR.jpg

Looking across the golf course to the club house:

IMG_20180301_112730408_BURST001.jpg

Into the nature reserve trail - there was a good mix of dry track where it was covered by the trees and ice and snow covered track where there wasn't any tree cover, some of the exposed track didn't have any snow. It made it interesting as some snow was still soft, but some had compacted into ice, generally the big tyres coped well, but in a couple of places it was necessary to exercise a bit of caution to avoid skidding, and some of the track has been damaged by HGVs that have been moving felled trees from there lately, so there were a few frozen ridges to be aware of as well.

IMG_20180301_113302841.jpg

My Rockhopper, which I have had since January 1998 - gets the key of the door next year

IMG_20180301_113605338.jpg

IMG_20180301_114257436.jpg

Onto the Coast Road at Ainsdale - below is a view towards Ainsdale Beach. You turn right just down there to get on the Coast Road to Southport. It has a cycle track all the way along, which is fine for an MTB or hybrid, but a bit bumpy on a road bike, but personally, I wouldn't use the road there, it's a long, narrow, straight, fast road and wouldn't be much fun on 2 wheels.

IMG_20180301_114918356.jpg

It was only 10 miles all round, it got a bit tough along the Coast Road as heading north east meant the easterly wind was holding me back a bit, and I was a carrying a heavy back pack full of hi viz jackets, various tools and paper work, as well as my uneaten butties, and unopened flak full of hot tea, which I had for my lunch when I got in.

Quite daunting conditions everywhere at the moment, and here we seem to have got off relatively lightly compared with elsewhere, but still a very cold period and a cruel wind, but glad I didn't succumb to temptation and take the car, it was quite exhilarating being out there yesterday.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Out for a bit of a jolly in the snow this morning. There were reports of travel problems all over the place so I went to see what it was really like.

The bike already had the snow stud tyres fitted after a bit of forward planning last night, but they struggled in the conditions today, particularly where the snow and grit mix had been churned up by cars and where there were drifts across the road, to the extent I needed to get off and push in a few places.

I headed up Lyth Hill knowing that it's always a bit deeper up there but today was quite picturesque with the drifts. Part way up I encountered a stuck car. A couple of householders had already come out to help and I joined them in pushing the vehicle and turning it round so the driver could head back home.

I did think about riding over to Condover as well but my way was blocked on the hill and I could see that there were problems down at Hunger Hill where a number of lorries are stuck, suggesting it might be a lot more trouble than it's worth this time.

I took a slightly convoluted route back which again was tricky in the conditions.

Just 4.1 miles today at a glacial 5.8 mph average. I feel for those who have to travel today.

DSC0005920.jpg

Not too bad as I start climbing Lyth Hill..........

DSC0005921.jpg

........ but a bit different further up. This taken just after pushing the stuck car.

DSC0005922.jpg

Nicely sculpted by the wind.

DSC0005924.jpg

Not snowing but lots of snow blowing round.

DSC0005925.jpg

Made it to the first view point.

DSC0005926.jpg

No access today.

DSC0005928.jpg

This is as far as I'm going to get this time. From what I can see, the road is completely clogged by 5 foot drifts further along.

DSC0005929.jpg

View from the hill. It doesn't come out in the photo but there is a line of stuck traffic on the A49 down there.

DSC0005930.jpg

And back again. Makes the street look nice.

Edit to add: A link to the Shropshire Star story which has pics showing the conditions on the A49. Just as well I didn't try to go down there.

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Not today admittedly, but I got the bike out Tuesday.
I'd planned on meeting up with GetActive Bolton. They organize rides of an hour or 2 with a cafe stop for new/returning cyclists at a gentle pace.
I've almost lost the will to ride due to this f***ing stroke sapping all my strength and energy away but at the same time, I need to get out of this bloody house sometimes.
Sooooooo, I spoke to the ride leader on Monday just before I went to see the diabetic nurse as they meet at the diabetic cntre. Luckily not too far away for me.
Got all my gear on, snow tyres fitted and set off with 15 minutes to spare. I got there 2 mins before they were due to meet up. No one there. Gah! Bloody weather!
I figured as I was already out I might aswell go for a pootle.
I decided to go through Queens Park and along the Middlebrook Trail towards Horwich. Most of it was covered in a still fluffy coating of snow and the tyres were doing a brill job of keeping me upright at the cost of dragging like a snow plough. It was nice being the only one stupid enough to be out cycling in this weather. Very peaceful.
By the time I reached Lostock, my legs had given up and I had to dismount and walk up the barely 8% hill to Chorley New Road.
I decided to cycle along the footpath going up Victoria Road as close passes are often here and I was going so slow that the bike was wobbling all over the place. However, drivers seemed to be behaving themselves as the trip to Boot Lane and home was incident free and quite pleasant.
Luckily, Erin is now making her own way to school and back these days so I was able to rest when I got in. Erin made me a mug of tea when she got in :biggrin:
8 miles today.

gavgav

Guru
There has been serious damage up at the site that our caravan is situated at, in North Wales, caused by 90mph winds last night. Luckily, from what we’ve been told, the only damage we’ve had is our TV aerial blown down, but many others have lost rooves and other more substantial damage.

Supposed to be opening it up again in 2 weeks time, but that looks in doubt now. Depends on whether the site delays the re-opening. I think we will need a trip up there, once the weather has cleared a bit, to satisfy ourselves that there isn’t any other damage to ours.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After another busy night shift I woke at 1230 and thought about taking the trike out again. Horrible freezing sleety snow whilst walking the dogs nearly put me off, but suitably togged up in wet weather gear I set off in the worsening snow.
Actually turned out to be a very enjoyable ride. Very little traffic about, and the cars I came across all passed me very well indeed with plenty of space, much appreciated given the roads are starting to go to horrible black slush.
Arrived at Windsor Great Park to find it closed for filming, but none of the wardens seemed fussed about me going in for a little pedal around. stopped for some photo's and discovered that you can get stuck, 1 wheel drive from a standstill on a hill in fresh snow left me shuffling the trike along to get started. Some very nice scenery today, wonderfully unspoilt by the usual droves of dog walkers and runners.
2 March 2018 WGP Snow 2.jpg

2 March 2018 WGP Snow.jpg

Back home after 10 miles. Had to brush an awful lot of snow off the trike, it's going to need a good clean when I'm next off work. Glad I wore my wet weather trousers as the snow pooled in my lap and melted, that may have taken some of the fun out of the ride....

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Rides have been thin on the ground last month but today is the day :laugh:
It's actually quite mild, a slight breeze that was colder but I didn' know that till I was out and found myself with too many layers.
Anyway, just an hour, country track riding, slipping, sliding and walking ^_^.
Less than 6 miles, felt like 3 times that.:okay:
20180303_114717.jpg
20180303_110424.jpg
20180303_111242.jpg
20180303_105544.jpg

Probably wrecked the bike....home to home made potato, smoked bacon and onion soup.:smile::hungry:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Not today admittedly, but I got the bike out Tuesday.
I'd planned on meeting up with GetActive Bolton. They organize rides of an hour or 2 with a cafe stop for new/returning cyclists at a gentle pace.
I've almost lost the will to ride due to this f***ing stroke sapping all my strength and energy away but at the same time, I need to get out of this bloody house sometimes.
Sooooooo, I spoke to the ride leader on Monday just before I went to see the diabetic nurse as they meet at the diabetic cntre. Luckily not too far away for me.
Got all my gear on, snow tyres fitted and set off with 15 minutes to spare. I got there 2 mins before they were due to meet up. No one there. Gah! Bloody weather!
I figured as I was already out I might aswell go for a pootle.
I decided to go through Queens Park and along the Middlebrook Trail towards Horwich. Most of it was covered in a still fluffy coating of snow and the tyres were doing a brill job of keeping me upright at the cost of dragging like a snow plough. It was nice being the only one stupid enough to be out cycling in this weather. Very peaceful.
By the time I reached Lostock, my legs had given up and I had to dismount and walk up the barely 8% hill to Chorley New Road.
I decided to cycle along the footpath going up Victoria Road as close passes are often here and I was going so slow that the bike was wobbling all over the place. However, drivers seemed to be behaving themselves as the trip to Boot Lane and home was incident free and quite pleasant.
Luckily, Erin is now making her own way to school and back these days so I was able to rest when I got in. Erin made me a mug of tea when she got in :biggrin:
8 miles today.
Respect to you :okay:

Top Bottom