Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TeeShot

Veteran
0A3848EE-5313-41D7-B88D-3FC1E5875E5D.jpeg
6446A29B-E04B-4FED-A040-33C4259479D5.jpeg
A06578E7-E0A9-48C2-8D6D-3C21D2E76585.jpeg
8A9DF349-D6B3-4C0C-B21C-DFA340DA5CE1.jpeg
For some reason today I thought it would be a good idea to try some hills. Having parked near Bollington, I rode through the town to the foot of the first climb, the Brickworks. Next up the decent towards Kettleshulme and then up Windgather. I’m not a fan of the drop into the Goyt valley but the climb up to the Cat and Fiddle road is wonderful. A diversion to the top of Axe Edge and then down the Cat and back to the van. Less than 30 miles, just over 3000 feet of climbing. Not sure my 62 year old legs appreciated the 28 sprocket out back otherwise the bike was spot on.

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Marcha Cicloturista la Indomable is around the corner and is time to get the climbing legs going. Also is a good excuse to come up with hard routes for the people that like challenges.

Oh La indomable is a 200 km event with 4000 meters of climbing.

Today? 70 km and 2000 meters climbing!

Some pics?
First climb, El Valtocado:

58835375_2119142998181109_4968627015092535296_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

59638640_2119142924847783_4268166257691328512_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

59426462_2119143061514436_5696010706269241344_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

HC climb of the day after the first 500 meters, 21% average gradient to start a 11.1 km climb from 0 meters to around 1000.

59286157_2119143324847743_3497229579498553344_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

Top of the killer of the day, behind us is the Mediterranean sea and in a clear day you can see Africa from here.

58584576_2119143251514417_3055222756921573376_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

Cheers for a good ride!

59350573_2119143198181089_5378736008915320832_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

Time to refuel…

57409187_2119143284847747_8974879200636829696_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

I’ll be here most of the year….
1f609.png

C R

Guru
Marcha Cicloturista la Indomable is around the corner and is time to get the climbing legs going. Also is a good excuse to come up with hard routes for the people that like challenges.

Oh La indomable is a 200 km event with 4000 meters of climbing.

Today? 70 km and 2000 meters climbing!

Some pics?
First climb, El Valtocado:

View attachment 464546

View attachment 464547

View attachment 464548

HC climb of the day after the first 500 meters, 21% average gradient to start a 11.1 km climb from 0 meters to around 1000.

View attachment 464549

Top of the killer of the day, behind us is the Mediterranean sea and in a clear day you can see Africa from here.

View attachment 464550

Cheers for a good ride!

View attachment 464551

Time to refuel…

View attachment 464552

I’ll be here most of the year…. View attachment 464553

Is that a Estrella de Galicia again? Man, I miss those.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Two rides to report on.;

Yesterday I had limited time so headed to do a local loop into town and out to Upton Magna, Atcham, Cross Houses, Cound Stank, Cantlop and back via Condover and Lyth Hill. Once again the knockabout bike got used for convenience.

The local schools were back so there was a notable difference in the number of people down in the Quarry. Something else notable was how high the river has come after the rain at the weekend, with the water lapping close to the paths in places. I followed the river as far as the end of Sydney Avenue then took myself off on a diversion round Sundorne which avoided the rough path along the former canal.

I managed to overtake another rider on the way to Upton Magna then got teased by the wind which couldn't seem to decide if it was going to help or not on the way to Atcham and Cross Houses. There were a few riders out and about today and one that stood out was a farmer I've encountered before, just not on a bicycle.

Towards the end of the ride it had warmed up enough to dispense with my fleece on the way to Lyth Hill but was still slightly chilly on the descent the other side. Fairly pleasant all the same and I got back with time to spare.

24.6 miles at 12.8 mph average.

P4290099.JPG

Riding the riverside path between the English Bridge and the Railway Station bridge in Shrewsbury with the water level up again.

P4290101.JPG

Cronkhill looking nice and picturesque among the lush spring growth.

P4290107.JPG

The oilseed rape is taking over at Hunger Hill. There is a trunk road hiding among that lot.

-----------------------------------------------

Today I had a bit more time available so went for something a bit longer. I used the Galaxy and headed to do what I'd hoped would be a fast run on my Melverley loop (Condover, Minsterley, Westbury, Prince's Oak, Melverley, Great Ness, Montford Bridge and back)

It's a nice contrast getting onto this bike which seems to fly along with little effort and I made good progress, especially when the wind was helping after Hunger Hill. Something that I did notice though was that having changed saddle on the Raleigh and found a nice setup, this one felt like the saddle was a little too far back so I had stops for some tweaks. I think it's a little easier to cruise on the flat now and I don't feel quite so stretched out to the bars so we'll see how I get on with it.

After Melverley a couple of riders came the other way - one on a normal road bike and the other on a hand powered trike and both going like the proverbial train. Interesting to see some unusual machinery out and about.

I'd turned into the wind by now and was finding it hard to keep up the pace. On one of the other bikes I'd have thought I was still doing pretty well but after all the easy riding so far I was finding it disappointing and by trying to push on I tired out my legs a bit. A couple of climbs late in the ride were managed at a reasonable speed.

I had a couple of insects fly into my mouth during the ride.xx( Not sure what the first one was but it was very spiky. Managed to spit both out.

Traffic was relatively quiet back at Shrewsbury so I stayed on the road rather than the cycle paths for a bit longer than I might usually (faster and smoother surface).

36 miles this trip at 15.5 mph average. Enjoyed it but thought I could have done better.

No photos from this ride as too busy :bicycle:

TigerT

Veteran
I did the same short ride three times today but it was well worth it.

First thing this morning I got an email from the bike shop asking me to bring my Trek Émonda in. I had Garmin Vector 3 Pedals fitted and they’ve gone faulty. So as I have the day off, I headed into the shop. Got the pedals removed and an old set put back on. Stayed for a coffee and a chat and headed home. So two short rides done before lunch.

The twist is that they also said they would try and get my new bike ready and if I wanted to call in in at 4pm, I could have it!

Now .... If you saw my thread,’It’s going to be a long 10 weeks’ you’ll know that this is 8 weeks earlier than planned. The main issue being, I didn’t expect to be able to afford it for at least another month. However, I’ve had a bit of a clear out of old laptops and phones and I was pretty much there. The nice man at the bike shop said, ‘Take the bike and enjoy it, give me the rest next month!’

So back into the city at 4pm for another chat and another coffee at the bike shop and the third journey home on my new bike.

After only 6km we have already bonded. Very excited for a May Day ride tomorrow.

25949422-5570-4E1D-892D-4C1151DCB13B.jpeg
Outside the store with the biggest smile ever.
5B1EE2FF-7C6F-4144-A8D3-892D869E9964.jpeg
And at home.

C R

Guru
Quick lunch time loop in nice weather. I wore shorts, but long sleeve, should have worn short.

Quickest round this loop for some time. Nothing much happened, except a near miss with a pedestrian. Past Pirton church I could see a couple walking ahead, and they looked back a couple of times, so I thought they had seen me. I slowed down a bit anyway as the road is quite narrow, and quite good I did as well, because when I had almost reached them, the man moved across the road and nearly wiped me out, luckily he jumped back just in time and I had almost come to a stop, but it could have been quite ugly. They hadn't seen me after all.

The map

IMG_20190430_165307.jpg

First thing this morning I got an email from the bike shop asking me to bring my Trek Émonda in. I had Garmin Vector 3 Pedals fitted and they’ve gone faulty. So as I have the day off, I headed into the shop. Got the pedals removed and an old set put back on. Stayed for a coffee and a chat and headed home. So two short rides done before lunch.

The twist is that they also said they would try and get my new bike ready and if I wanted to call in in at 4pm, I could have it!

Now .... If you saw my thread,’It’s going to be a long 10 weeks’ you’ll know that this is 8 weeks earlier than planned. The main issue being, I didn’t expect to be able to afford it for at least another month. However, I’ve had a bit of a clear out of old laptops and phones and I was pretty much there. The nice man at the bike shop said, ‘Take the bike and enjoy it, give me the rest next month!’

So back into the city at 4pm for another chat and another coffee at the bike shop and the third journey home on my new bike.

After only 6km we have already bonded. Very excited for a May Day ride tomorrow.

View attachment 464566
View attachment 464567
And at home.

That's a cracking looking bike! :wub: I foresee many happy miles ahead. :biggrin:

A brisk 10 miler on Wiggy #1, the Rouen, in the afternoon sunshine for me. Seemed criminal not to go out, really... :blush:

This one was a ride of two halves. The first is what passes for lumpy out here - along Downham Common, up into the village, then along the lumps and bumps of Downham Hythe all the way to Red Caps Lane. An about turn there, back down the Hythe, followed by the sharp descent of Mill Hill. The second half of the ride is fast and flat; the run into Pymoor past Adventurers Drove and Corkers Crisps (they were doing some kind of meaty flavour there today), through Pymoor, past the rec ground, along O Furlong and then home.

Wasn't much in the way of wind, and after having done most of my recent rides on the heavier Chartres, I found that I could really press on. Well, for me, anyways... :laugh: I triggered the speed gun in Pymoor at the stellar speed of 12 mph! :whistle:

Feel all the better for a good spin, and now enjoying a post ride :cuppa:

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours

View attachment 464566
View attachment 464567
And at home.

Happy new bike day!

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Quick lunch time loop in nice weather. I wore shorts, but long sleeve, should have worn short.

Quickest round this loop for some time. Nothing much happened, except a near miss with a pedestrian. Past Pirton church I could see a couple walking ahead, and they looked back a couple of times, so I thought they had seen me. I slowed down a bit anyway as the road is quite narrow, and quite good I did as well, because when I had almost reached them, the man moved across the road and nearly wiped me out, luckily he jumped back just in time and I had almost come to a stop, but it could have been quite ugly. They hadn't seen me after all.

The map

View attachment 464568

No Estrella at lunch? :cheers:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
CE45E4CB-E4AF-4991-A487-77F98D7D5194.jpeg
D231DC13-C8AB-4E05-AB41-A23C65DFE2FD.jpeg

A lovely evening after work, around 17 degrees so a shame not to have a short spin on the bike. Out on the Tricross 19.2 miles with an average of 16.5 mph. No photos today just the map and a pic of my lovely old dog who climbs onto the kitchen table and licks all the sweat off my face every time I get home from a bike ride, lovely!

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yesterday's ride.

I was late out for this one so I headed for a standard Ashleworth loop. All good in lovely sunshine. The resurfacing gritters are beginning to appear. Loose gravel is a pain. Fortunately I only had to ride one short section but the signs are up for more to come. Even so it was a lovely brisk ride today. The miles just floated by. 2 days of rest makes a difference. 48 smiles

Top Bottom