Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
Clear blue sky this morning and not much breeze to judge by looking out of the window. Time for a ride, there were two in mind, one for each bike. Difficult to choose, ended up on the geared bike yet again ‘cos I fancied a bit of uphill riding.

Of course, the real joy of riding uphill is the payback the terrain gives after the downhill starts, so the route goes through Holbeck, for no change at all, along the towpath from Office Lock to Viaduct Road, across the river and then the up starts. The garthing reports that minimum elevation is about 22 metres just after crossing the river, rising to 202 metres by the side of the water tower at Cookridge, which also happens to be the highest point of the whole ride. Not very impressive, but my legs would disagree. Still in suburbia here, complete with golf course and rugby club. Members of both seem to be bound by a ‘no indicators’ rule. Doesn’t bother me at all but some drivers of the following cars were not applauding roadcraft . . .

Into the green at last, and a choice of Otley or Bramhope for the next village. Do not turn left, ride on to Bramhope. The road is up and down a bit, finally reaching the A 660 at the bottom of a steep bit. This time turn left, along to the Dyneley Arms and then turn right for very good descent to Pool. Through the village and turn left for Otley, also discovering that the camera did not turn on at the top of the hill. Stop by the maypole, while munching a group from Wetherby Wheelers passed, at least three of them wearing the club top. Don’t think they saw my bike.

Suitably refuelled, Leeds Road away from the town was the next bit of the journey. After the climb the ride through Bramhope is a good rest, cut short by turning left at the roundabout at the south end of the place. This is King’s Road and before Arthington Road is reached there is a bit of uphill. Turn right, and attempt to turn the camera on again, ride past Golden Acre Park’s eastern access down to the T junction, right again and cross Adel dam on the way to the church and the right turn back to the A 660. Camera still unwilling to play, relegated to things I might fix at home. Return to Headingley, that right turn for Kirkstall and the easy way to miss traffic lights, ride along the canal towpath. Home after twenty eight and a bit miles, sure it should have been further than that. Dumb technology wins every time, but cannot stop me enjoying the ride.

Oh aye, SD card error said the camera. Formatted the tiny little thing and it seems to be happy now.

The map, trying to miss most of the A 660

06062019.jpg

C R

Guru
Quick loop at lunchtime, usual Kempsey, Kerswell Green and back. Bit of an annoying breeze on the way out, which helped on the way back. Fastest I've ever been in any ride at a paltry 16mph, but only 11 miles. Great fun ride.

13 rider

Guru
I'm in Wales for 3 days doing 2 days riding based around Newport ( dragon tour ) then doing the dragon ride on Sunday based near Port Talbot . The forecast for today was wet :rain: and it was !! . Left Leicester at 0600 to drive down . Got to the start at 0830 a hour to kill so a coffee and chatting to other riders about 30 minutes before the start it begins to rain and never stopped all day :rain: . So full waterproof kit on glad I bought overshoes .Off just after 0930 though a very busy Newport but soon on to some quieter lanes heading out to Monmouth . First big climb came after 20 miles which wasn't too bad but the descents were :eek: with all the wet and me struggling to see due to being a glasses wearer . Mile 28 is decision time first feed station and route split short or long ?. Didn't stop didn't want to get cold obliviously went long :banghead:. Soon found myself all alone I don't think many did the long today :laugh:. Second big climb at 40 miles again not too bad but required bottom gear . On the descent from here I had moment :eek: braked for a corner and the back wheel stepped out not sure how I stayed up right :sweat: . Finally back on the shared route only saw 6 riders on the long route . The biggest climb of the day came at 60 miles Wentwood hill started steady then got steeper were you pass a 16% sign :surrender: and it was . Seemed to go on forever but ground my way up . From here it was basically downhill to Newport . Which was very busy but made it back to the finish .69.55 miles in 4 hrs 36 mins and I got properly drenched the rest of the weekends weather looks better thank goodness . A ride to be endured not really enjoyed . Tomorrow the tumble awaits :surrender:. In hotel having a :cuppa: after a nice warm shower

Last edited:
I had ridden out from Littleborough with Littgull to do a big loop round - Rochdale, Bury, Bolton, Horwich, Chorley, Leyland, Maghull, Ormskirk, the biggest climb of the day to Ashurst's Beacon (Skelmersdale), Orrell, then down to Wigan Wallgate station via Kitt Green, Robin Park and Newtown.

We skirted round a lot of the towns, and used towpaths, greenways, quiet roads and the Trans Pennine Trail where we could to avoid traffic.
I had intended to post a short ride report on the 'Your Ride Today' thread but we arrived back too late on Thursday night (due mainly to a long train delay at Manchester Victoria) and I was diverted to other things yesterday.

It was a very enjoyable century ride. We managed to largely dodge the frequent heavy rain showers and thunderstorm, only really getting a moderate soaking about halfway in to our outward leg.

@ColinJ did well to scale the Vale Lane/Beacon Lane climb nr Skelmersdale on his singlespeed bike - definitely a case of grit your teeth and grind that high gear! Colin managed to get exactly the 100 miles done due to riding to Littleborough from Todmorden to meet me and doing the same 7 miles in reverse at the end of the day. I made my 14 miles shortfall up by alighting the packed train at Rochdale and riding 5.5 miles towards Bury before turning around back to Littleborough. A very late arrival home at 10.50 pm but well worthwhile.

We saw a sensational rainbow over Wigan as we descended through the park on the cycle path about 1 mile from Wigan Wallgate station. Here are a couple of pics.
Rainbow over Wigan 2.jpg
Rainbow over Wigan.jpg

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had intended to post a short ride report on the 'Your Ride Today' thread but we arrived back too late on Thursday night (due mainly to a long train delay at Manchester Victoria) and I was diverted to other things yesterday.

It was a very enjoyable century ride. We managed to largely dodge the frequent heavy rain showers and thunderstorm, only really getting a moderate soaking about halfway in to our outward leg.

@ColinJ did well to scale the Vale Lane/Beacon Lane climb nr Skelmersdale on his singlespeed bike - definitely a case of grit your teeth and grind that high gear! Colin managed to get exactly the 100 miles done due to riding to Littleborough from Todmorden to meet me and doing the same 7 miles in reverse at the end of the day. I made my 14 miles shortfall up by alighting the packed train at Rochdale and riding 5.5 miles towards Bury before turning around back to Littleborough. A very late arrival home at 10.50 pm but well worthwhile.

We saw a sensational rainbow over Wigan as we descended through the park on the cycle path about 1 mile from Wigan Wallgate station. Here are a couple of pics. View attachment 469912 View attachment 469913
Yes, we were very lucky to dodge almost all of the storms, and to take refuge in a bus shelter for the one that we didn't.

I am surprised how well those pictures of the rainbows turned out. You can clearly see how the bright one comes to ground between us and the distant trees. Also, the curious dark band between the rainbows that I commented on at the time.

Oh, and that my 'Ass saver' wasn't really saving my ass! Mind you, I could have had 5 times as much crud on me without it, who knows?

It would be better for your post and my reply to be in 'Your Ride Today'. I'll ask the mods to move them for us!

Last edited:

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
O goody gumdrops inclement weather has returned ! I tried to combine my ride this morning with a haircut (not at the same time !). I rode the 2 miles to the barbers, a little damp when I got there, opened the door,looked inside and thought better of it, too many in there. I could have waited but sitting in damp clothes is not ideal so said I`d be back later and continued on my way. My route out was a virtual headwind with quite a few gusts, met office said 19mph WSW and I would`nt challenge them. Consequently by the time I was at the turning point to return my average was way down and did`nt make up the time, no worries. Although it was damp it was only spitting with rain and no major puddles to deal with. The only problem I had was when I came to a junction and needed to stop my front brake thought better of it. What had actually happened ( yes the rim was wet) was the cable had pulled through the clamp as I pulled harder. Luckily the car that was coming across the junction swerved to avoid the stupid cyclist who did`nt appear to stop. If that motorist is reading this I apologise. The ride back along Combs lane was OK but as I got to Combs Ford it rained harder and kept this up for the next 2 miles home. Whilst I`d been out we`d had quite heavy gusts and out potted yew blew over. It stands about 6 feet tall and is bottom heavy, it takes a bit of blowing over I can assure you. Anyway I diverse, I had a good ride, damp but not soaked and did 21.8 and averaged 16.9mph usually about 18 for the route but who cares ! I went back to the barbers at 1.50 and went straight in. He thinks that I am committed to cycling or did he say that I should be committed because of my cycling ? Jury`s out !

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Day 2 of my Welsh adventure . Woke this morning not to rain ^_^ forecast was ok if a tad windy . Off from the start at Newport at 8.40 . Battled our way out of Newport a bit busy but soon on quieter roads . On the first descent came across a rider on the deck being attended my a Marshall ,everything was under control rider thankfully just shuck up and a bit of road rash :B). I think he'd come off on a damp patch under some trees on an otherwise dry road had me descending carefully again . Through the countryside to Usk just afterwards the first feed station which today I took full advantage off ,warm sausage rolls :mrpig:. We all knew what was next the Tumble . I had been periodically been riding with 3 Scotchmen I was quicker up the hills but they kept reeling me in on the flat we had a good bit of banter . But they sorted my tactic out for the Tumble I decided to sit behind them for the start to stop me going to hard early . At the cattle grid halfway up I moved past them and rode my pace to the top I really enjoyed the climb . It's a steady 10% gradient at the bottom which you just pick a gear and tempo and get over it . It then flattens out and drags on and on to the top took me 25 mins so a proper climb
IMG_20190608_111202308.jpg

The descent down was quite frankly scary :eek: it's quite exposed and we had a massive crosswind and my deeper section wheels were really catching it but got down safe . In the village of Blaenavon I went rogue turned off the route up another climb to the village of Vertag for the ABC challenge thread I been stuck on U for a while . Back on route I thought it's was downhill back to Newport so a cheeky 16% was a surprise . Soon back in the traffic of Newport and finished .62.9 miles with just 5692ft of upness compared to yesterday the weather was fantastic ie I didn't get wet . The organiser had laid on a hog roast at the end so plenty of time to chat to riders I been seeing on and off for 2 days . Resting up now ready for day 3 just 95 miles to do tomorrow and the devil's :evil: elbow awaits :surrender:
Ps saw the ride who came off at the finish he'd been to hospital to be checked out nothing broken just sore but he's hoping to ride tomorrow

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Day 2 of my Welsh adventure . Woke this morning not to rain ^_^ forecast was ok if a tad windy . Off from the start at Newport at 8.40 . Battled our way out of Newport a bit busy but soon on quieter roads . On the first descent came across a rider on the deck being attended my a Marshall ,everything was under control rider thankfully just shuck up and a bit of road rash :B). I think he'd come off on a damp patch under some trees on an otherwise dry road had me descending carefully again . Through the countryside to Usk just afterwards the first feed station which today I took full advantage off ,warm sausage rolls :mrpig:. We all knew what was next the Tumble . I had been periodically been riding with 3 Scotchmen full I was quicker up the hills but they kept reeling me in on the flat we had a good bit of banter . But they sorted my tactic out for the Tumble I decided to sit behind them for the start to stop me going to hard early . At the cattle grid halfway up I moved past them and rode my pace to the top I really enjoyed the climb . It's a steady 10% gradient at the bottom which you just pick a gear and tempo and get over it . It then flattens out and drags on and on to the top took me 25 mins so a proper climb
View attachment 469964
The descent down was quite frankly scary :eek: it's quite exposed and we had a massive crosswind and my deeper section wheels were really catching it but got down safe . In the village of Blaenavon I went rogue turned off the route up another climb to the village of Vertag for the ABC challenge thread I been stuck on U for a while . Back on route I though it's was downhill back to Newport so a cheeky 16% was a surprise . Soon back in the traffic of Newport and finished .62.9 miles with just 5692ft of upness compared to yesterday the weather was fantastic is I didn't get wet . The organised had layed on a hog roast at the end so plenty of time to chat to riders I been seeing on and off for 2 days . Resting up now ready for day 3 just 95 miles to do tomorrow and the devil's :evil: elbow awaits :surrender:
Ps saw the ride who came off at the finish he'd been to hospital to be checked out nothing broken just saw but he's hoping to ride tomorrow

Sounds like you having a great time.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Bloody wind. I hate riding in the bloody wind.

I had to work today, I had a job in Windlesham, Surrey, I needed to take the car as I had some heavy kit to take but I remembered that Virginia Water was nearby, so I threw my bike in the back of the car to try and blag two letters for the ABC towns and villages challeng.

So after my appointment I rode to Virginia Water, I didn’t know where the sign was so I thought I would’ve had a bit of riding around to find it, but to my surprise I found it quicker than I expected, in fact I rode past it, turned round got the photo. I knew where the Windlesham sign was, as I had ridden past on the way to V.W.

A little over nine miles but there was a bloody headwind on the way back, I bloody hate riding in the wind.

39305048-59A7-4E52-9C00-7C9ACAE3058D.jpeg

D23BCF7E-6998-4A45-8D86-3F9CB18F76FD.jpeg

B7036130-CB6A-4155-A4A5-4CA9EB58BA26.jpeg

C56D0B81-26C0-42FA-AB08-728C179BCF5C.jpeg

Top Bottom