Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

galaxy

Veteran
Riding from Durham to Chester le Street the path runs on the East side of the dual carriageway so you're facing the oncoming traffic which means you don't have to give way to traffic coming from behind you at the T junctions. The Arnison Centre roundabout is a PITA whichever way you approach. The biggest problem though is getting back across the A167 to get into C-l-S. I prefer to ride on the road the whole way to avoid this.

The path is just a shared pavement at the side of the main road. It's been resurfaced in the last couple of years and is still in fairly good nick. Think the '50s style path you're thinking about is between Nevilles Cross and Cock o' the North so heading South out of Durham.
I remember Time Triling along that stretch of road back in the 80s

galaxy

Veteran
While away on a short break we took the bikes, cycled part of the Brecon to Monmouth Canal. What a lovley ride I s anyone familiar with the Talybont to Monmouth part, considering going back to ride it as we enjoyed it so much.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Up and out early this morning, determined to make time to do my favourite climb around here, the Cote de Puget for the third time. Couldn't leave here without doing it again. Took the Voie Verte from Vesonne along the West side of Lake Annecy, turning left at St Jorioz to start the long climb up to the village of Puget. This has previously been a 2nd Cat climb in the TdF, and is quite a long drag even for someone who isn't suffering from horrendous saddle sores picked up on my climb of the Colombiere the other day. The lake and mountain views were fantastic, though, and made it all worthwhile. A few pictures:

237 Bredannaz.JPG 239.JPG 240.JPG 241.JPG 242.JPG
Once I got to Puget, I dropped down to St Jorioz via Le Cruet, using the D10, a road I'd never ridden before. Although it was a wider, faster road (as you can see in the last shot) it was still surprisingly quiet, and there was a great long, fast descent into the town centre of St Jorioz. After discovering another supermarket to investigate later, I safely negotiated a big crossroads on the main lake road and refound the Voie Verte. When I reached the end of the lake, I hung a left on another branch of the cycleway via Verthier to Glieres, where I sat admiring the view rather than joining the busy lakeside road. Unfortunately, three pictures that I expected to be beautiful landscape shots of the swimming pool blue lake turned out horribly. Mental note: Don't stow your camera on top of your sticky emergency energy gels in future! You'll just have to take my word for how nice it was.
Running out of holidays now. Today's 26 miler brings it up to 92 miles in 4 rides so far. All exceptional.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Lie in today so didn’t get out of the door until gone nine. Hilly (for me) 30 miles to Nice Pie cafe. One of many climbs was the one out of Ashby Foleville where for once I stopped and took a picture:

EA345F1A-C727-482B-A6B1-7629542F1FAC.jpeg

Nothing special but I needed to stop anyway to shake hands with the unemployed.

Was a windy 30 miles and combined with the climbing and my legs reminding me they’d done a ton yesterday it took just over 2 hours to get there.

Pulled into the car park and there are loads of motorbikes, took me a while to get served but I eventually had a tuna sandwich and a cup of tea.

Coming out and two of the bikers are in the car park and I made conversation. One of them told me one of their mates had ridden 8,000 miles last year on a push bike, I didn’t tell them my mileage.

Anyway all the climbing is done and I head off for the final 22 miles home. Get to Barrow and there are diversions in place, go around and hit another, and then another.

Decide at that point to ignore the planned route and bump the ride up to 62 miles, eventually finishing at around 62.5 miles.

Was blooming windy, hilly (compared to yesterday) but at least there was no rain and I wasn’t at work

https://www.strava.com/activities/2682109297

13 rider

Guru
Lie in today so didn’t get out of the door until gone nine. Hilly (for me) 30 miles to Nice Pie cafe. One of many climbs was the one out of Ashby Foleville where for once I stopped and took a picture:

View attachment 483698

Nothing special but I needed to stop anyway to shake hands with the unemployed.

Was a windy 30 miles and combined with the climbing and my legs reminding me they’d done a ton yesterday it took just over 2 hours to get there.

Pulled into the car park and there are loads of motorbikes, took me a while to get served but I eventually had a tuna sandwich and a cup of tea.

Coming out and two of the bikers are in the car park and I made conversation. One of them told me one of their mates had ridden 8,000 miles last year on a push bike, I didn’t tell them my mileage.

Anyway all the climbing is done and I head off for the final 22 miles home. Get to Barrow and there are diversions in place, go around and hit another, and then another.

Decide at that point to ignore the planned route and bump the ride up to 62 miles, eventually finishing at around 62.5 miles.

Was blooming windy, hilly (compared to yesterday) but at least there was no rain and I wasn’t at work

https://www.strava.com/activities/2682109297
Oh I forget to mention on Sundays ride about the upcoming road closures in Barrow :whistle:. Just 150 yds of road closed 4 mile diversion :banghead:

MarkF

Guru
Today we did manage Alicante to Elche, was 28c but often cloudy. It's a superb cycle path that links the two cities but without prior knowledge you've no chance of finding the Alicante start. Don't know how long it is, maybe 15 miles.

Nice spot for lunch in Elche's centre but l now know baby eels on fried eggs is horrible. Stinking headwind all the way back, knackered now, couple of beers and then out to watch some footie.:okay:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Nothing special today - just a loop which started with the usual route through Nacton. Levington & Ipswich and back to Rushmere and then I headed out to Martlesham along the Playford Road for a change. Just as I passed the Ipswich Town FC training ground I overtook a bloke on an Argon road bike and exhanged the usual pleasantries, but became aware a few hundred yards later that he'd jumped on my back wheel and that's where he stayed for the next 2.5 miles until we went our different ways at the Red Lion junction. I take that as a compliment as I was on my Pickenflick flat bar with the heavier wheels and 37mm tyres fitted!
Capel Hall Lane (1).JPG

The rest of the ride was the reverse version of my usual northbound ride out - Waldringfield, Newbourne, Kirton, Falkenham and home. 35 miles for this month's 50k challenge and a well earned mug of coffee.
Screenshot_2019-09-05 Breezy afternoon loop Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2019-09-05 Breezy afternoon loop Ride Strava(1).png

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Mrs D wasn't so well this morning, so there was no way I was going off on the bike today. Looks like she's on the mend, but glad I didn't leave her alone.
So that's a total of 92 miles in 4 rides in the Lake Annecy area this year., including cat 1 and cat 2 TdF climbs. Any other climbs I didn't get around to, I probably never will now, as I can't see us coming back here for a fifth time. I can thoroughly recommend the place as a cycling Mecca though. There's something for everyone here ..... flat rides and plenty of mountain passes, with a wide variety of accommodation including dozens of camp sites near the lake.
Wouldn't be like me if I didn't leave you with a map. Didn't print any blank ones off for individual rides this time, so here is my composite record of all my rides over four stays here (the pink bits) .... totalling just under 400 miles in 18 rides. This year I did the loop from St Jorioz via St Eustache on the west side of the lake (the Cote de Puget); the Col de la Colombiere (NE corner of the map); and, over two rides,the whole Voie Verte from Annecy to Marthod, just 6km short of Albertville, where the cycle way deteriorates. Feeling very blessed to have had the chance.
244 Four visits, nearly 400 miles of cycling.JPG

Cheers, Donger.

MarkF

Guru
Got up early as l knew rain was forecast, not early enough, it hosed it down 30 mins after l had set off. Only got as far as El Campello, about 12 miles away along the beautiful San Juan beaches.

Back now drying off, thinking about the tiny female tourer who overtook me, she must have had 30kg in her 4 panniers & on her rack yet she left me behind uphill.:sad:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Out the door early this morning with no plan of where to cycle but ended up at Brooklands. I'm not particularly interested in motorsport but the history of the place does fascinate me.

The racing track is showing 80 years of decay; concrete slabs are lifting and crumbling, plants are growing in the cracks, and it's covered with moss. It's gradually returning to nature, and looks far worse than when James May did his Scalextric challenge on the circuit. I have previously driven my car on a short section of the track, but more of it is accessible on a bike, and somehow it was more fun on two wheels!

The aerodrome is also defunct, but remnants of the runway still exist - although that's also disappearing under a playground, driving school, skatepark and so on. There's even an old karting track on the runways, so I did a quick circuit of that too.
Here's a section of my GPS trace, overlaid on Google earth imagery from 1945.
upload_2019-9-7_9-48-44.png

There has been lots of development - a retail park, loads of offices and car parking, a car showroom, hotel, etc. I gave those a miss and made my way to the Brooklands Museum to snap a pic of Concorde through the fence, and of the scale model at the entrance (looks like the one that was previously on the roundabout at Heathrow).

I did "want" to ride up Test Hill, which is a 1 in 4 climb used in car races to this day. It was fenced off - lucky escape.

For planespotters, this video shows a slightly perilous landing by a Vickers Vanguard on the remains of the runway in 1996. Almost an emergency stop!

upload_2019-9-7_10-1-4.png

rQbV5dSgnwTyJdRpS-2VDrrYRmxW9aIH5qlaJ-6iZ-wxfmq9VBUdYJq1HlJFN9gsrhl1xaim9jCqInYV5c=w1258-h943-no.jpg

LhheVyc_E5e0yseeq2xLoRArD2fuFYFlJpPsPsCc9SNZqt1GjryCLv-CzXyNiv5sPEVEYFN2N3rkN36lV4=w1258-h943-no.jpg

60 km done.

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-7_8-41-17.png
    upload_2019-9-7_8-41-17.png
    356.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

delb0y

Legendary Member
I also had a "motorsport ride" in a way.

I set out with the intention of reconnoitring a stretch of river where I'm hoping to fish. But no matter which lane I attempted to use the roads were all shut off - totally. No chance to even squeeze by. I came at the village, where the river is, from all directions, but everywhere was closed. Was starting to think that perhaps the Martians had landed in the night, hence the lock-down. But no, turns out the roads are closed all day for a motor rally. By all accounts the locals are a little miffed, but laws is laws and this one was changed recently to empower councils to close roads and allow motor races to take place.

So I never got to see the stretch of river in question but I did spy a bridle path, and I'm never one to turn those down, so it was a pleasant ride. Turned out to be 38 miles in just over three hours, which wasn't bad considering my lack of miles this year. This week marks the start of my week's summer holiday - it's been a long time coming. I'm actually dog-sitting whilst the rest of 'em go away, but hopefully I'll get another ride in and maybe see the river!

Here's the bridle path:

Track.jpg

Cheers
Derek

postman

Legendary Member
Can i have a sub section ,did not ride today.i was up at 06-30 yes i wanted to go out early.Breakfast shower ,ready.But the weather ,the Sun was not out of bed.Grey low cloud,and a breeze.Would i need tights.wait a little longer well i did the grey got darker ,seeing how the tow path is best cycled in sunshine because of the colour of the water i waited and waited.Then it went grey all over.Got back in my civvies cheesed off,The sun and blue sky finally came out at 11-15ish.Too late than you Nature God.It has been a funny day in out grey about.It would have been fantastic out early nobody on the tow path ride would have been about 3-4 hours,in Skipton early and out before 13-00,ah well i can wait,anyday cos i am retired.

Top Bottom