Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oxford Dave

BIt breezy this morning, but I haven't had a proper ride for a week, so I was going out no matter what! Did a combination of two local loops for a total of 18.8 miles at an average of 12.7 mph on my recently purchased Super Galaxy. I'm very happy with the new bike, so much easier to ride and no aches or pains.
I'm attaching a picture of the new ride for those doubting types who insisted on proof!

C R

Guru
Ride of the beast today, and that's not just the distance (see below). Quick lunchtime trip to the doctors and pharmacy, and more than a bit blowy. As I was tuning into our road on the way back a gust of wind nearly took my front wheel away :ohmy:. Other than that, bright sunny day.

IMG_20200211_133913.jpg

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
My ride Friday, thought the weekens storm would render things a bit too challenging so ventured out east of Leicester on a Friday taking in some routes I used o do when I first ventured out this way (Rolleston, Skeffington) so :-

101Km Blaby - countesthorpe - Wiloughby Waterlys - Anstey - Fleckney - Carlton Curlew - Ilston - Gaulby -Billedston - Rolleston - Skeffington - Tilton -Tugby - Goadby - Glooston - Cranoe - Welham - Great Bowden - Foxton - Saddington -Countesthorpe - Blaby

First 20K or so felt like really hard work....in fact I was struggling up 4% inclines. Stopped, tried to rotate back wheel....somehow a load of mud was trapped under the mudguard making it very hard work. Took both wheels off, got rid of mud and made it round ok....resistance training I guess...didn't need it though - hilly enough out there!

Davos87

Guru
Freezing cold but chucked on my gear and beat a hasty path to the garage and my Giant Defy before the motivation started to waiver. Set off and enjoyed the novelty of dry roads. A steady start down to Potto then a short descent and across the main road into Swainby with the church, bridge and stream looking very picturesque in the low sun. Doubled back through the outskirts of Hutton Rudby and onto Crathorne where one of John Cleese’s best mates has his stately pile. A short spell on the main road before turning off into Kirklevington and the draggy road to what’s known as “ The Scruffy House “ on that particular Strava segment and yes it is a bit of a tip. Onwards for about 4 miles and a meander through Appleton Wiske then a shortish drag up to Welbury and the welcome, creaky wooden embrace of one of my favourite benches. I was nicely warm so stopped for a drink, a biscuit and a ponder but lingered a bit too long, the sun disappeared and quickly felt perished so jumped back on and made haste through West Rounton across A19 and home. Nithered at times

but worth the effort.

Oxford Dave

Just back from a ride into Oxford to buy a lock for my new bike. Got off to a bad start as after a mile or so, found the road closed by police (apparently there was a tree fallen across the road) so retraced my steps (tracks?) and decided to take a little used lane to just past the problem. Unfortunately, all the traffic coming up over the Thames at Newbridge had to been diverted to come up the lane I was going down. A couple of large vans had met and blocked the road - I was able to get through going the other way by walking on the verge, but there were a lot of cars and all wanted to know what was going on. Progress was slow! Finally made it to the far side of the blocked road, over the river, up the hill and away, though Appleton and on to Cumnor, bridge over the dual carriageway and down Cumnor Hill to Botley, then a short ride along the cycle lanes to Warlands cycle shop. Nice chunky lock purchased from and fitted by proprietor, so after a bit of a chat I was on my way. Carried on through Oxford and out to the A40 which has a cycle lane all the way back to Eynsham, then B roads to Northmoor where I treated myself to a plate of Welsh Rarebit and a pint. Home via the previously troubled lane to find I had ridden just over over 31 miles, or just a few metres more than 50 km. Very satisfying!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Went out for my first night ride in months tonight. Joined by @Dark46 and our mutual friend Claire, we chatted our way along the lanes to the Red Lion at Arlingham, where we opted for hot drinks before heading back again. I chucked in a couple of extra laps of the Kingsway Estate to drag the total just over 30 miles. A very pleasant social ride, marred only slightly by a couple of bursts of light drizzle. The highlight was seeing a barn owl swooping around @Dark46's head. He almost ended up wearing it as a hat.

Can't recommend night riding highly enough. You don't see as much, and you have very little sense of gradients, but it really is quite invigorating. Always a good idea to carry spare lights and wear reflectives/high viz. We were obviously quite bright tonight, as we actually had a couple of oncoming cars pull over to let us pass. That never happens in daylight.

Now to hunker down to ride out the next horrible weather system.
Cheers, Donger.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
After a three day break from cycling mainly due to the high winds it was nice to get back on, so to speak. The wind may have eased only 23mph when I went out at 1.45 and whether I have gotten used to it or perhaps my choice of route I did`nt really have any battles with it.
I chose the route out to Rattlesden and Drinkstone which meant I went out into the westerly wind and perhaps a tail wind back. I also wanted some updated photos of Drinkstone smock mill with the work in progress. The roads were pretty quiet and almost totally dry. The last time I did this route in January the bike was filthy from the mud off the fields. The sun stayed out and it felt rather pleasant for a change. I saw one buzzard which passed right in front of me majestically and also two kestrels, not much else on the route.
Once I turned the corner near Rattlesden airfield I picked up a kind of tail wind, may be more from the side but still better than a head wind. I quickly went through Felsham and the Gedding and past Gedding Hall, looking splendid in the sunshine. The second half of the ride certainly went a lot quicker than the first but no supersonic speeds. It was an enjoyable ride with 862 feet of climbing at a 16.3 mph average but what the heck.
Now we have another storm on the horizon, oh whoopie !

Dark46

Veteran
Thanks to @Donger and Claire today is the first time I've been out on he bike since the middle of May last year . @Donger said that he hadn't seen me on here either , but as I've not been riding I've been sim racing at home there hasn't reallybeen anything o report. But I've been doing cars and not bikes obviously that doesn't do alot for your fitness.

I'm so glad that Claire suggested the ride last week as I've also got a slight chest infection and I was glad to get out the house in the fresh air.

I didnt really know what the plan was jus getting out with 2 of my best cycling friends was good. I found I tough going on the wa back with the inclines as my legs didn't want to go much. The ride was great as riding in the night you don't notice the gradients and chatting too helps greatly .

One of the worst things about going out after a look time of the bike is somehow losing kit in the house. Some I've lost one of each of my pairs of leg warmers!! So how does that happen? On the ride Claire's shopping list of things she needs to get during the grew and grew. After getting home and thinking about it I'm going to have to do a list, as there is definitely a few things I need now.

During the ride both @Donger and Claire kept mentioning that my jacket wasn't reflective as before. So I took a photo at home 504320
and it looks fine, anit a bit dirty!!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
.... During the ride both @Donger and Claire kept mentioning that my jacket wasn't reflective as before. So I took a photo at home View attachment 504320
and it looks fine, anit a bit dirty!!
It was really odd. Last time we rode together at night, @Dark46 was Radioactive Man .... lit up like a flare every time a light hit him. This time he was The Invisible Man. The same grey Proviz jacket just looked dark grey for the whole ride, and whenever Claire came between me and his rear light, you just wouldn't know he was there. Is this a known issue with Proviz stuff? Anyone experienced similar?

Just an hour along the canal in between showers , went to have a look at the unbelievably stupid idea that wigan council came up with.....
You know that nature reserve, why don't we build a road straight through the middle of it....

Plenty of destructive activity going on I bet fellow wiganer @TissoT would hardly recognise it around here now

But never mind at least they have managed to paint the milestones

An enjoyable hours ride after being stuck in during the high winds

Last edited:
Top Bottom