Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Over three weeks waiting, and yesterday was the day. The excitement had been building with each postponement and I was dangerously close to being over-prepared. My first ever Audax. A calendar event originally scheduled for 9 February and postponed due to Storm Ciara. Rescheduled for 16 February, but postponed again due to an issue with the HQ venue (Storm Dennis paid us a visit too). So as I said, yesterday was the day. Finally.

Completing an audax has been on my mind since November. A permanent event was my first plan. I sent off to the organiser, received my brevet card and route sheet, and was raring to go! The following day I sprained my wrist and couldn't ride my bike. It took over two weeks to heal properly. Weather, family and Christmas scuppered my plans. While my wrist was healing, I started an endurance training plan on Zwift. Riding a static bike is easy with a sprained wrist. My last virtual ride was Tuesday when I felt I had over-trained from a 3.5 hour virtual ride on Sunday plus what I had been doing throughout the previous week.

Doubts entered my mind when leaving the house at 6:30 AM yesterday. Heavy rain was bouncing 50cm off the ground. Not promising. I drove the 1 hour and 20 minutes to the start and the rain seemed to lessen. The wind was starting to pick up, but wasn't too bad. Brevet card collected, bike and myself ready, we were given the signal for the informal start. No one moved. I was adjusting my helmet straps. Someone else was still loading his bike up. Another rider was wrestling with her buff. We started to trickle out in the next few minutes. I believe I was the third rider to leave the car park.

As I had only done a 100km ride once before, there was some trepidation. That ride had been quite flat. The Rutland & Beyond audax was not flat. Even when the ground was level or sloping down, it was all uphill. Respite from the wind was only found in areas with closely packed buildings. Four times, I nearly had the bike blown from under me.

The first 70km was not too bad. The rain abated after about an hour and a half of riding, not too long before we reached the first control at Rutland Water. There were no boats out on the water. Choppy doesn’t begin to cover how the reservoir appeared. Brevet card stamped, it was time to move on.

IMG_9688.jpg

Part of what attracted me to audax was that riders can ride how they wish - join a group, ride solo, chat for a few minutes, ride in solitude. It wasn’t like a club ride where you are expected to ride in formation. I chatted with a nice chap called Paul who was riding in SPD sandals (his shoes had been rubbing), and a local chap who like me was impressed with the huge viaduct as we rode along the road through one of the massive arches.

Numerous very pretty villages exist along the route. I saw little thatched cottages, picturesque gardens and architectural delights/monstrosities straight from Grand Designs. Mostly I saw fields, thousands of sheep and lots of horses. Peaceful and relaxing.

On several hills, rainwater cascaded along the road surface in quarter-inch waves. Aqua-planing was a possibility on descents. I’d love to put my exceptional bike handling down to my superior bike skills. One day, I’ll get some. In the meantime, I’ll continue to trust in luck.

The second was an information control. Quick, simple, didn’t even have to stop. The third was a café where I inhaled two sausage rolls. Onwards.

An annoying incident that I won’t let spoil the day. I’m on a road not much wider than the width of a car. My legs are struggling to push the pedals up the hill against the wind pushing me down. I notice a car behind me. Old VW Golf, lowered suspension, apparent 12-year old at the wheel, girlfriend in the passenger seat. I’m on a hill and there’s no where to safely stop. I continue on. The driver starts revving his engine behind me in an attempt to intimidate me. I pedal on. I see a farm gate at the top of the hill. I plan to let him by there. He can’t wait that long. He comes pass me. I lean to the side so his wing mirror doesn’t hit me. My elbow catches his window, he’s that close. He gets to the top of the hill and stops. I’m still 15 metres away. He’s gesturing at me. His girlfriend is giving him a mouthful. He throws his arms up in the air and guns the engine. He’s gone. I continue turning the pedals.

The last 30km was difficult. 30km of non-stop headwind. A very strong headwind. With gusts. Did I mention it was windy?

Muscles were aching, neck was stiff, willpower was low. A mental battle ensued to keep the pedals turning. The wind was defeating me. I cursed audaxes, I cursed bikes, I cursed my stupidity for thinking I was ready. Every ascent, flat or descent required effort to move forward. At 80km, I thought I was done. No. Keep going. 85km done. 90km. 95. Not far now. Is the arrivée in the next village? The one after perhaps. Four villages later, I turn a corner. I’ve arrived.

Off the bike and into the control. Card stamped, time calculated. 6 hours 25 minutes.

Back outside, I sit on the back on the car. I smile. The smile turns into a grin.

100.7km and 1,723m elevation in 6 hours 25 minutes (5h 28m without stops) with 26mph winds and gusts up to 40mph.

One month until my next audax. And counting down.

PS 3 points in the bag for the half century challenge for February too!

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Over three weeks waiting, and yesterday was the day. The excitement had been building with each postponement and I was dangerously close to being over-prepared. My first ever Audax. A calendar event originally scheduled for 9 February and postponed due to Storm Ciara. Rescheduled for 16 February, but postponed again due to an issue with the HQ venue (Storm Dennis paid us a visit too). So as I said, yesterday was the day. Finally.

Completing an audax has been on my mind since November. A permanent event was my first plan. I sent off to the organiser, received my brevet card and route sheet, and was raring to go! The following day I sprained my wrist and couldn't ride my bike. It took over two weeks to heal properly. Weather, family and Christmas scuppered my plans. While my wrist was healing, I started an endurance training plan on Zwift. Riding a static bike is easy with a sprained wrist. My last virtual ride was Tuesday when I felt I had over-trained from a 3.5 hour virtual ride on Sunday plus what I had been doing throughout the previous week.

Doubts entered my mind when leaving the house at 6:30 AM yesterday. Heavy rain was bouncing 50cm off the ground. Not promising. I drove the 1 hour and 20 minutes to the start and the rain seemed to lessen. The wind was starting to pick up, but wasn't too bad. Brevet card collected, bike and myself ready, we were given the signal for the informal start. No one moved. I was adjusting my helmet straps. Someone else was still loading his bike up. Another rider was wrestling with her buff. We started to trickle out in the next few minutes. I believe I was the third rider to leave the car park.

As I had only done a 100km ride once before, there was some trepidation. That ride had been quite flat. The Rutland & Beyond audax was not flat. Even when the ground was level or sloping down, it was all uphill. Respite from the wind was only found in areas with closely packed buildings. Four times, I nearly had the bike blown from under me.

The first 70km was not too bad. The rain abated after about an hour and a half of riding, not too long before we reached the first control at Rutland Water. There were no boats out on the water. Choppy doesn’t begin to cover how the reservoir appeared. Brevet card stamped, it was time to move on.

View attachment 505896

Part of what attracted me to audax was that riders can ride how they wish - join a group, ride solo, chat for a few minutes, ride in solitude. It wasn’t like a club ride where you are expected to ride in formation. I chatted with a nice chap called Paul who was riding in SPD sandals (his shoes had been rubbing), and a local chap who like me was impressed with the huge viaduct as we rode along the road through one of the massive arches.

Numerous very pretty villages exist along the route. I saw little thatched cottages, picturesque gardens and architectural delights/monstrosities straight from Grand Designs. Mostly I saw fields, thousands of sheep and lots of horses. Peaceful and relaxing.

On several hills, rainwater cascaded along the road surface in quarter-inch waves. Aqua-planing was a possibility on descents. I’d love to put my exceptional bike handling down to my superior bike skills. One day, I’ll get some. In the meantime, I’ll continue to trust in luck.

The second was an information control. Quick, simple, didn’t even have to stop. The third was a café where I inhaled two sausage rolls. Onwards.

An annoying incident that I won’t let spoil the day. I’m on a road not much wider than the width of a car. My legs are struggling to push the pedals up the hill against the wind pushing me down. I notice a car behind me. Old VW Golf, lowered suspension, apparent 12-year old at the wheel, girlfriend in the passenger seat. I’m on a hill and there’s no where to safely stop. I continue on. The driver starts revving his engine behind me in an attempt to intimidate me. I pedal on. I see a farm gate at the top of the hill. I plan to let him by there. He can’t wait that long. He comes pass me. I lean to the side so his wing mirror doesn’t hit me. My elbow catches his window, he’s that close. He gets to the top of the hill and stops. I’m still 15 metres away. He’s gesturing at me. His girlfriend is giving him a mouthful. He throws his arms up in the air and guns the engine. He’s gone. I continue turning the pedals.

The last 30km was difficult. 30km of non-stop headwind. A very strong headwind. With gusts. Did I mention it was windy?

Muscles were aching, neck was stiff, willpower was low. A mental battle ensued to keep the pedals turning. The wind was defeating me. I cursed audaxes, I cursed bikes, I cursed my stupidity for thinking I was ready. Every ascent, flat or descent required effort to move forward. At 20km, I thought I was done. No. Keep going. 85km done. 90km. 95. Not far now. Is the arrivée in the next village? The one after perhaps. Four villages later, I turn a corner. I’ve arrived.

Off the bike and into the control. Card stamped, time calculated. 6 hours 25 minutes.

Back outside, I sit on the back on the car. I smile. The smile turns into a grin.

100.7km and 1,723m elevation in 6 hours 25 minutes (5h 28m without stops) with 26mph winds and gusts up to 40mph.

I’m exhausted reading that. Well done

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

View attachment 505896

Muscles were aching, neck was stiff, willpower was low. A mental battle ensued to keep the pedals turning. The wind was defeating me. I cursed audaxes, I cursed bikes, I cursed my stupidity for thinking I was ready. Every ascent, flat or descent required effort to move forward. At 20km, I thought I was done. No. Keep going. 85km done. 90km. 95. Not far now. Is the arrivée in the next village? The one after perhaps. Four villages later, I turn a corner. I’ve arrived.

A ride of attrition there's, but you did it. Well done.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl

View attachment 505896

Muscles were aching, neck was stiff, willpower was low. A mental battle ensued to keep the pedals turning. The wind was defeating me. I cursed audaxes, I cursed bikes, I cursed my stupidity for thinking I was ready. Every ascent, flat or descent required effort to move forward. At 80km, I thought I was done. No. Keep going. 85km done. 90km. 95. Not far now. Is the arrivée in the next village? The one after perhaps. Four villages later, I turn a corner. I’ve arrived.

Utterly brilliant. Fantastic writing skills and you captured the essence of audax to a T. The number of times I've said to myself "normal people are home warm and dry having a nice breakfast at 11am after a lie in, why do I do this?" Often a much bluer paraphrased outpouring muttered under my breath. But the sense of achievement, the fantastic camaraderie (and often I'm at the back on my own but I still "belong") the stunning routes and friendly organisers and the sense of achievement, did I say that already? I think that's referred to as Type 2 fun. Some days there isn't even an awful point, and the cake!! Did I mention cake? The routine of finding a monthly audax to enter, or a permanent or DIY when not possible, really keeps the enthusiasm and fitness levels up. Never ever say "never again" on the day. i have many times, and by the morning I'm planning the next one :laugh:

Just brilliant, very well done. 👍^_^💪🏆
1f4a8.png

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I’m exhausted reading that. Well done
A ride of attrition there's, but you did it. Well done.
Utterly brilliant. Fantastic writing skills and you captured the essence of audax to a T. The number of times I've said to myself "normal people are home warm and dry having a nice breakfast at 11am after a lie in, why do I do this?" Often a much bluer paraphrased outpouring muttered under my breath. But the sense of achievement, the fantastic camaraderie (and often I'm at the back on my own but I still "belong") the stunning routes and friendly organisers and the sense of achievement, did I say that already? I think that's referred to as Type 2 fun. Some days there isn't even an awful point, and the cake!! Did I mention cake? The routine of finding a monthly audax to enter, or a permanent or DIY when not possible, really keeps the enthusiasm and fitness levels up. Never ever say "never again" on the day. i have many times, and by the morning I'm planning the next one :laugh:

Just brilliant, very well done. 👍^_^💪🏆 View attachment 505944
Thank you. Type 2 fun indeed. I'm still grinning.

A quote by me to myself during the audax as the rain was hammering me and the wind was trying to blow me off the bike,
"Not only am I the warden of the lunatic asylum, I'm also very proud to be an inmate".

Fiona R

Thank you. Type 2 fun indeed. I'm still grinning.

A quote by me to myself during the audax as the rain was hammering me and the wind was trying to blow me off the bike,
"Not only am I the warden of the lunatic asylum, I'm also very proud to be an inmate".
Oh brilliant, I might pinch that one and file for future times of need.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)

View attachment 505896

The part of the world where I grew up. You started just up the road from where my Mum lives. Love that you liked the pretty villages and peaceful countryside. Sorry that I can't do anything about the wind or sh***y drivers. Remember doing a 50 mile ride one evening into the wind all the way. Was devastatingly tiring, when there were no downhill bits where I could stop pedaling and relax. You did well!

Fiona R

The part of the world where I grew up. You started just up the road from where my Mum lives. Love that you liked the pretty villages and peaceful countryside. Sorry that I can't do anything about the wind or sh***y drivers. Remember doing a 50 mile ride one evening into the wind all the way. Was devastatingly tiring, when there were no downhill bits where I could stop pedaling and relax. You did well!
So true, everyone thinks flat is easy, but you never get a rest, and Dutch riders are strong for a reason. Dutch hills!

Oxford Dave

At last! First ride for more than ten days. The weather forecast looked promising last night, but I had to stay in as I was having something delivered - but got a text first thing telling me that the delivery had been put back a day, so off I went. Just a pootle round a regular route, just under 19 miles and I wasn't pushing myself, but was surprised to find my average speed was 13.2 mph, so maybe the enforced break did me more good than harm.

C R

Guru
Lovely start of the day here, sunny and blue skies, though by the time lunchtime came the clouds were around, and some showers too. No matter, the weather had already scuppered many rides this month, so I decided I would risk a couple of showers for a ten mile spin during my break. Glad I did, it was a bit blowy, but it was mostly sunny, and the couple of showers during the ride were very light, and I was dry by the time I got back.

ianbarton

Veteran
Absolutely terrible! Lots of blue sky and only a few moments of very light drizzle. A slight breeze that was behind me on the homeward leg. Cycled through Prees and via Dobsons Bridge to Wem. I arrived in the cafe just before a large crowd, so I didn't have to queue. Cycled back home through Ightfield. Four floods on the route. Hardly deep enough to wet my feet. I need to go for a very cold bath and some self flagellation to recover.

Old jon

Guru
The sun was shining and everything was freezing. My garthing reckoned 2.2 degrees, you cannot argue with the inanimate. But I disagreed on principle. It was way colder than that.

And time to take the fixed for a ride, first time this month. Away down the road to Jack Lane and the wander through Holbeck and its mounds of rubble. Still windy as well, it was an easy quick decision to change the route I first thought of to ‘Sod this, the towpath is quieter. ‘ And it was, but it also channels the wind very efficiently. Head on. And me with only the one gear. Ah, it is all about the exercise and enjoying the view, just get on with it. And I did. Almost caught a rider whose bike was wearing bright blue tyres, shiny ones. What a great idea, and fun with it. Had I caught up I could have asked, as it is I will do the online thing.

There is more construction work at the site of the former power station at Kirkstall. A couple of big trucks using the normally deserted road by there. The next landmark is again historical, now student flats I think, but in my memory the Mackeson brewery. You could buy the stuff on draught in at least one pub in Leeds. And then the oldest brewery Leeds had, Kirkstall Abbey. OK they no longer brew anything there, but still. A mile or so further on, ‘Do I cross the railway line?’ No, carry on to Newlay. The Abbey Inn there has an acoustic night on Tuesdays. Anyway, leave the canal here. Or just after the pic . . .

Lockside Fixed.jpg

Go down the hill, then Newlay Lane goes up. Steeper than I remember, embarrassingly so. Yup, I walked a bit of that. Back on the pedals when the gradient levelled, turn right at the main drag ( downhill ) and into Leeds on the A65. I have ridden this a few times now and the bike track is mostly good. Then there are the sharp right angle corners, riding fixed is not meant for corners like that, and mine has toe overlap as well. Life’s rich tapestry.

Rather than mix it with town centre traffic I rejoined the towpath just before it passes beneath Leeds City Station. Then a slightly longer than usual ride around the delights of Hunslet before heading up the hill for home. Fourteen and a bit miles, the thought of a hot shower made me smile.

A level map, except one bit, of course.

26022020.jpg

Mrs M

Guru
First wee spin out today on “Mr Arbuckle” holiday fat bike :smile:
Went into the bike shop and the young guy said “ah, it’s the fat bike woman” :laugh:
Offered me a 40 euro discount straight away for 10 day hire :okay:
Sadly

Mr A is a bit tired, some trim missing and a new (mismatched) rear wheel but still magic fun to ride.
Just an hour out today but a very pleasant, not a care in the world feeling kind of ride :okay:
Didn’t even bother to change, sporting my new Freddy’s cat house t shirt, no gloves (forgot) and (no helmet) :popcorn:
:becool:

Top Bottom