Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
Rain? Didn’t believe it, but there it was, falling from the sky. Breakfast seemed to cure it, a bright blue sky and a chill breeze were there as I pedalled away on the Jacko.

Having decided to ride to Eccup, the village, from the left side of the map it made sense to leave Holbeck along the canal towpath, my usual way to ride to Headingley. Usual or not, once I left the canal behind I soon warmed up on the way up Cardigan Road. Keep going to Lawnswood and turn right onto Church Lane. Cross Adel dam and keep straight on for the quiet way to Eccup.

Past the end of the village, and the New Inn, and the descent to Weardley starts. And stops a bit soon, there is a cyclist stopped. I stop as well, oh, a fellow club member. A few stiff chain links, I reckon the fix is to ride it. Descend to Weardley restarts, I turn right on the A659, he goes left. Harewood Bridge, cross the Wharfe going north. A distance along here, the A61, is the right turn towards Kirkby Overblow. Up through the village there are occasional glimpses of the view to the right, but once past the buildings the vista expands A bit of mist here and there but still a great view.

The road passes Barrowby Grange, then four or five houses the map calls Kearby with Netherby. OK that is two house names, what about the other three? The road cares not, bends a bit left and finds some higher land to go up to. The last rise before Sicklinghall.

There are some rises after Sicklinghall as well, on the way to Wetherby. And a couple of opportunities to turn right to Linton. But the only convenient place for munch is really Wetherby Town Hall. And I had thought to ride back to Leeds on the A58 for a change. If traffic became bad, there are a few places to turn off.

And I wanted to climb that long, long drag from the bottom of Bardsey to the top of Scarcroft. It is not as long as some, but towards the end of a ride it can take some doing. And it did. Then a small diversion along Coal Road to Red Hall Lane and back to the A58. Cross the Ring Road, downhill nearly all the way home. Thirty six miles since I saw the place and 2200 feet going up said the garthing. And a grin, it was a good ride.

Some mappery,

13112020.jpg

1311elev.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
What a lovely sunny morning. I headed for some lanes that I had sadly neglected for some time. But first some lovely hills dodging around to Whitborne. Now Tedstone Delamere was calling with its 17% approach. The autumnal views from the top were superb. I took the Rowden turn for another neglected lane and stopped at the Mill where some preserved railway can be viewed from the bridge. The lane which drops to Crowells Ash allows superb views all around even as far off as May Hill. I still had a couple of ridges to surmount as the sun began to shine milkily from behind high thin cloud. Lovely skyscape to take me home. 48 smiles

footloose crow

Über Member
13 November. Friday the 13th!

Is Friday 13th a good day for a ride? It is quite sunny and the temperature looks to stay in double figures. But something bad could happen....

Stop procrastinating and get out there! For a change I will tackle Kenwyn Hill that runs northwards out of Truro. A Cat 4 hill according to RWGPS and I have been avoiding it ever since I started cycling a year ago. I don't know if is really Cat 4 but I can tell you it starts at 5% and then steepens, and steepens and after a final bend...steepens. I am delighted to see the top but Wahoo has other ideas and immediately it is a right turn down a 20% hill. A greasy, damp, leaf strewn sleigh ride. I keep the brakes on but all too soon I am back at the altitude at which I started the day and facing another 20% hill, but the time it goes upwards. I can't believe I planned a route so badly. At least these are new lanes to me - and I may not trouble them again. I have to stop at the top to regain control of my breathing.

Now I have another, but gentler this time, descent to the River Allen with a chance to ride through one of its tributaries. The sign warns me of a ford ahead and I am aware it has rained most days this week.

However this is just a deep puddle. No worries.

I am warming up now and the road runs happily with only a few undulations along the river valley and then slowly upwards at a sensible gradient until I can make it to Allet, a tiny community of one abandoned chapel and five houses. The sun is definitely out. It feels almost warm when I stop moving. Blue skies, not much traffic, mainly dry lanes. Great to be out. Glad I chose bib shorts today.

The miles up to the north coast pass easily, lanes sliding past my wheels, a nice rhythm on the hills, breath under control - well most of the time. Perranporth is busy. Busier than I would expect on a November weekday. Easy to socially distance on a five mile long beach I guess. The surf is big and messy with a strong undertow and no one is out. This is a dangerous beach. No lifeguards here until Easter either.

Up through Perrancombe now, a slow ascent through a steep sided wooded valley with modern glass and concrete or wood houses interspersed in the woods between solid and respectable 1930s and 1950s detached homes. And into the chi-chi seaside resort on a cliff called St Agnes where every house has a wood burning stove and there are more art galleries than pubs. Groups of yummy-mummies are out with their dogs, patrician accents, Range Rovers and Discos parked haphazardly along the road. This is not the Cornwall I know. It feels as if London has come here to avoid the pandemic, attracted by one of the lowest infection rates in the UK. If you can do WFH anywhere I guess it is far better to be here than stuck in a London flat.

Around St Agnes Beacon, a great jutting headland and hill that dominates the north coast and can be seen for miles around. The wind is in my face and the gradient unrelenting for a while. It looks like the west coast of Ireland here. Small farms, small fields sloping down to the sea, deep green against a grey sky now as clouds appear from the west.

More lanes, heading west then south and the roads are leading me down hill into Truro. This is the busy A390 past the hospital and the huge sixth form college, dodging the students making their way to MacDonalds, huddling close, no masks. They are care free and I envy them. I can keep up with the traffic here, easy to do when it is downhill with a 30mph speed limit and I am faster off the lights.

It is good to get home and not be tired. Maybe shorter rides are the way to go....but damn, it's just short of 50k. @13rider will spot that.

Screenshot 2020-11-13 at 19.40.36.png

13 rider

Guru
13 November. Friday the 13th!

Is Friday 13th a good day for a ride? It is quite sunny and the temperature looks to stay in double figures. But something bad could happen....

Stop procrastinating and get out there! For a change I will tackle Kenwyn Hill that runs northwards out of Truro. A Cat 4 hill according to RWGPS and I have been avoiding it ever since I started cycling a year ago. I don't know if is really Cat 4 but I can tell you it starts at 5% and then steepens, and steepens and after a final bend...steepens. I am delighted to see the top but Wahoo has other ideas and immediately it is a right turn down a 20% hill. A greasy, damp, leaf strewn sleigh ride. I keep the brakes on but all too soon I am back at the altitude at which I started the day and facing another 20% hill, but the time it goes upwards. I can't believe I planned a route so badly. At least these are new lanes to me - and I may not trouble them again. I have to stop at the top to regain control of my breathing.

Now I have another, but gentler this time, descent to the River Allen with a chance to ride through one of its tributaries. The sign warns me of a ford ahead and I am aware it has rained most days this week.

View attachment 558005

However this is just a deep puddle. No worries.

View attachment 558006

I am warming up now and the road runs happily with only a few undulations along the river valley and then slowly upwards at a sensible gradient until I can make it to Allet, a tiny community of one abandoned chapel and five houses. The sun is definitely out. It feels almost warm when I stop moving. Blue skies, not much traffic, mainly dry lanes. Great to be out. Glad I chose bib shorts today.

View attachment 558007
View attachment 558009

The miles up to the north coast pass easily, lanes sliding past my wheels, a nice rhythm on the hills, breath under control - well most of the time. Perranporth is busy. Busier than I would expect on a November weekday. Easy to socially distance on a five mile long beach I guess. The surf is big and messy with a strong undertow and no one is out. This is a dangerous beach. No lifeguards here until Easter either.

View attachment 558010

Up through Perrancombe now, a slow ascent through a steep sided wooded valley with modern glass and concrete or wood houses interspersed in the woods between solid and respectable 1930s and 1950s detached homes. And into the chi-chi seaside resort on a cliff called St Agnes where every house has a wood burning stove and there are more art galleries than pubs. Groups of yummy-mummies are out with their dogs, patrician accents, Range Rovers and Discos parked haphazardly along the road. This is not the Cornwall I know. It feels as if London has come here to avoid the pandemic, attracted by one of the lowest infection rates in the UK. If you can do WFH anywhere I guess it is far better to be here than stuck in a London flat.

Around St Agnes Beacon, a great jutting headland and hill that dominates the north coast and can be seen for miles around. The wind is in my face and the gradient unrelenting for a while. It looks like the west coast of Ireland here. Small farms, small fields sloping down to the sea, deep green against a grey sky now as clouds appear from the west.

View attachment 558011

More lanes, heading west then south and the roads are leading me down hill into Truro. This is the busy A390 past the hospital and the huge sixth form college, dodging the students making their way to MacDonalds, huddling close, no masks. They are care free and I envy them. I can keep up with the traffic here, easy to do when it is downhill with a 30mph speed limit and I am faster off the lights.

It is good to get home and not be tired. Maybe shorter rides are the way to go....but damn, it's just short of 50k. @13rider will spot that.

View attachment 558016
I wouldn't have noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out :laugh: but come on 48km !!!! For someone who entered the 50km challenge :angry:.
Lots of roads Ive riden . One of the climbs from the ford near Shortlanes end to Allet I missed the Kom by 3 seconds :cry: this year ,it's on the list for next year
Another great write up

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride:

Bright and sunny in the morning but not so much in the afternoon when I got out on the knockabout bike to rack up a few miles. I thought I'd do an extended version of my Dudgeley, Wilderley, Pulverbatch route and headed out over Lyth Hill to Condover then Cantlop for starters with a brisk headwind and a moronic driver to contend with (thankfully the only one that gave me any bother).

By Pitchford I'd settled down to a pace that I could have maintained against the wind all day and carried on at that through Acton Burnell and Frodesley where a rider on a lightweight bike pulled out ahead of me. I expected them to disappear into the distance down the hill but instead found myself catching up and needing to overtake to keep up the pace I was happy with. I think that they must have turned off at the Longnor crossroads as I didn't see them again after that.

At Hollyhurst I took a detour along the road for Cardington before turning off through Comley and Botvyle to get to the crossing of the A49. I turn back northwards again here and picked up a tailwind which made the undulations through Dudgeley towards Walkmills and Smethcott seem easier than usual. There was a bit more traffic than I'm used to on this stretch (it's daylight, would you mind dipping your flippping lights? :wacko:) and a handful of people out exercising.

On the way to Wilderley I knew I was following another cyclist from tracks on the damp road but never caught sight of them. At Pulverbatch I took to the main road to Longden and enjoyed a nice fast run with the wind behind me. I was doing the speed limit on the entry to Longden Common and just under it into Longden itself. After turning right just before Annscroft it was a crosswind so I wasn't as quick, but it was much easier than last time I rode this section as I headed for Hunger Hill and my second crossing of Lyth Hill via Little Lyth. The descent of Lyth Hill Road was quicker than usual meaning I could keep pace with a van ahead until my turn off.

30.7 miles for this one at 12.5 mph average. 206 miles in the last seven days (not sure when I last did a 200 mile week) so the bad forecast for the weekend looks like a good opportunity for a rest.;)

Drink stop at a favourite viewpoint.

Taking the road through Botvyle.

View south along the Stretton valley at Dudgeley Mill.

Officially sunset is still half an hour away but here at Pulverbatch it has just dropped behind the hills.

Looking to the Stretton hills from Hunger Hill........

....... and from the same viewpoint the sun has set properly this time. I missed the actual moment as my phone rang just as I was about to take the photo.

13 rider

Guru
Still lacking motivation but still trying to keep my run of consecutive days going I need a ride. After the early morning food shop and meeting big sis for the first time in a month for a socially distanced takeaway coffee from our local cafe doing our bit to help local business . I got home and it's now raining so finally got out at 1300 in dark and damp conditions but at least it's not raining . Did my standard hour loop out round Markfield incorporating the climb of Polly Botts lane . After climbing Polly Botts there is a nice fast descent down Priory lane but today to had to be taken carefully as a vehicle had dropped an oil trail all the way down the road and in the damp conditions the slick was clearly visible :eek: so caution was called for . Round the back of Markfield into Thornton ,while passing a row of parked car I noticed something on the road a quick u turn and I discover a purse with some cash ,credit cards and a driving license in it . The driving license had an address on it which was exactly were I had stopped . Knocked the front door and lady nervously opened the door with the chain on (she wasn't expecting a cyclist knocking her door ) . A quick show of the purse and the chains off and the purse is handed over the lady thanked me profusely ,she had not even realised she had dropped it getting out of the car I had found it next to . Good deed done I'm back on my way ,drop down then climb out past the reservoir and back to Markfield and it starts to rain 3 miles from home so just press on and get home slightly damp . 14 miles in the bag done steadily no records were threatened on this ride

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
This morning I made business cards and leaflets for my new venture starting in the new year, my head was frazzled after that! Then I made pizza dough and then it was peeing down!!!
I gave it half an hour, then another half an hour ...and the rain stopped.

Just a short one of 6.5 miles, but with good hills. The route meant I mostly avoided the 50mph winds!

https://www.strava.com/activities/4337036822

KingswayRider

Über Member
Only my second ride in just over a fortnight today, but all was well at home, so I was able to get out for a cheeky thirty miler. Ambled via Hardwicke, Standish, Whitminster, Frampton, Arlingham and Epney before picking up my pace to keep up with an e-bike for the last three miles. The weather was a bit dull, but it was nice to get out at last.

I believe that steep little descent at the Vatch, near Slad, that @KingswayRider referred to above is where a clubmate's inner tube exploded a few years back. I recall the two tight little hairpins in the woods, where my fingers were white with the effort of gripping my brakes to little effect. When I finally managed to skid to a stop near the bottom we were all convinced some a***hole just the other side of the hedge had just discharged a shotgun. A couple of us almost dived for cover it was so loud. Turns out Rob, (another large lad), had also been braking for his life, to the point where his wheel rims overheated and exploded his inner tube just as he pulled up behind us. He then proceeded to burn his hand trying to change the tube! To this day I call him "Shotgun Rob". But I digress. Nice and quiet out there today.

Cheers, Donger.
That's the descent...really horrible conditions, on what was actually a decent day. If I'd been going the other way I'd have spun out & would have had to walk. I was just glad to get down in one piece having slipped & slithered about from just after Bisley. Good to see you've had a chance to get out again. @Donger...see you on the other side of lockdown.

13 rider

Guru
I managed to find some motivation down the back of the sofa last night so out the door at 0730 hope was to get a 100km ride for the monthly challenge . Had a circular route planned which gave me plenty of bail outs if the forecast rain arrived . Up through Newtown Linford and up the big climb of the day Sharpley hill . Up Charley rd to Shepshed ,Belton ,Diesworth . Over the A6 at Hathern and into Sutton Bonnington and flew up Marle put hill setting a massive pr thanks to the tailwind . Kingston on soar ,Gotham ( still no sign of Batman ) . East leake ,Wysall and it starts to rain press on a bit and the rain continues so the rain jacket was donned I had made it halfway staying dry better than expected . Turned for home at Wartnaby and now face 18 miles of headwind ! . I use the nonconventional route of tailwind out ,headwind home as I find riding into a headwind demoralising and would bail early but doing it my way you have to get home so just get low and spin my way back up the Wreake valley . Stop in Hoby to remove the rain jacket as the sun's now out and it's lovely . Ground my way home . 62.6 miles done in 30 second past the 4 hour mark . Only got rained on for 45 mins considering the forecast was a lot better than expected . Just need to find some more motivation to complete an imperial ton for November

Old jon

Guru
There was one of those optimistic weather forecasts this morning, and I was daft enough to ignore the rain and believe the forecast. Maybe I will learn better.

Take the fixed out this morning and aim for the flatter bits of country around here. Difficult to be flatter than a riverside path, travelling downstream, so off to the Armouries I went. Underneath what I had thought was a short shower. Which lasted much more than a short while. Past the start of the Aire and Calder Navigation, crossing the river. Which is crossed again near to a canal lock, Knostrop Lock, maybe?

Then cross the canal, just above Thwaite Mills. Lots of leaf fall along here, and a bit of lack of traction up the sharp rise to the road at Skelton Bridge. Woke me up proper, that did. Managed to pedal all the way to Woodlesford without further excitement though. Onto the road here, head for Swillington and be grateful for the tailwind. Which stayed all the way around the north of Garforth and further on to the gates of Lotherton Hall.

All the way, so far, had been damp. Blue sky visible, but always ‘over there!’ But now, down into Aberford and the sun shines. On me!! Well, and other folk also. Only fair. And on the top of the ridge, on the way to Barwick, two red kite looked like they were enjoying riding the breeze. Or maybe just looking for lunch . . .

Onwards, Scholes is quiet except one lad riding a bike. We had a short chat about the weather before he turned off before the former railway bridge. A bit of A64 to reach Thorner Lane, one that does go to Thorner. But I did not. Skeltons Lane and Red Hall Lane to the A58, and I resisted the temptation of twiddling down Boot Hill. Went for a short excursion around the Ring Road to Park Lane, to pass the posh park gates.

And once going down Roundhay Road the ride is almost over. One more crossing of the Aire, a pedal up through a corner of Hunslet and I am back home. In need of a shower after thirty one rather fun miles, must have been fun, I had a grin on my face.

Flattery and uppery, and annoy the spellchecker . . .

15112020.jpg

1511elev.jpg

Top Bottom