Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You all look freezing, the 12k I did on the Tacx in the garage was far more appealing.
it was ok before the cafe as we started off from various homes and whilst riding your ok but that shot at the cafe we were standing in that wind even though it was sunny it was still about 5 c i could hardly keep my cuppa from spilling from shaking .My reynauds kicked in badly so even though i was sweating that hands just stayed cold so i had to push the pace to get the blood around the system

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Mostly blue sky, a cloud or several to shade me from the sun. And I have to choose which bike to ride. It was always going to be the fixed really, just sometimes a different bike than planned is a bit tempting.

Very quiet on the roads, I know it is Sunday, but still. Across the River Aire and ride up to the Oakwood Clock, traffic increasing a bit. Turn left alongside the football pitches, there is eff all happening on them. Along Street Lane to Moortown Corner. A couple of right turns and I am on my way to Slaid Hill. Again. All because Wike Ridge Lane, all the way to the far side of East Keswick, is such a grand bit of road.

Yup, the name of the road changes along the way, but all is well with East Keswick. Must be, the Potts clock where a bedroom window should be is ticking on time again. Pedalling the fixed up that hill after the clock is, errr, not easy. Then the A659 to Collingham provides lots of downhill, turn left to ride across the Wharfe to Linton and there is that sharp little climb just after the bridge. Slowed me a bit.

After a refuelling stop in Wetherby, head south to Wattle Syke and from there ride along West Woods Road. And notice the breeze for the first time. This usually happens when the enjoyment of it stops, of course. The edge of Bramham comes next, and a right turn for a bit more bumpiness to Thorner. Where the bottom of Church Hill became a bit congested.

A rider came out of Milner Lane (open again, yippeeee!) and cut in front of the car that had just passed me, and I think the bus driver wasn’t too pleased at this also. I came late to the party, the horns had quietened, no collisions happened and whoever was riding that bike was pedalling swiftly away . . .

The ride up Sandhills, a bit of a chug really. The legs were feeling the miles maybe. But it is almost all easy riding from here onwards. Still not much traffic about, so how come nearly all the traffic lights were at red? Ah well, back across the Aire and up that final stretch to home. Thirty four miles made me smile, and almost two thousand feet uphill. Pretty fair for a December ride out.

And the geometry . . .

20122020.jpg

2012elev.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
Boris did say stay local but the ebike to the Co-Op and back this morning seemed a bit too local. Overcharged again, in the sense the shelf marked discount (valid until 29 Dec it says) was not applied so receipt (and a previous one with the same issue) emailed with an expectation of £1.50 being added onto my Co-Op card. Battery indicator went red so it must now need charging.

So the Defy out, initially planned a longer ride but by the time I had determined neither bodged up camcorder mount was going to work today, the one that definitely fits had lost its threaded rod (cut down bolt) holding the bodge together while the other is too small to fit the handlebars, time had drifted and that wind was pretty cold as well. A 13.37 mile ride must still fit Boris's requirement and for the first time in ages a brief ride up the A59 that did not need a bounce up a steep ramp as it has at last been surfaced. The ride did move the third letter AZ onwards with the much traversed route through Nidd,
Nidd sign.jpg

and then for once into Brearton - a dead end village except for MTBs. No actual village signboard, nor any mention of the village name on anything other than on A4 documents in a display case at the church, while the church name was solely contained in the ironwork of a gate.
Brearton sign.jpg

Brearton church.jpg

Back at Ripley I realised why outbound there was a lot of traffic turning into the village as an open air (stay in your car) large screen movie was about to start nicely visible from all the surroundings but it was a bit too cold to stop and watch.
Back to the A59 where I discovered the brakes properly need tweaking as they were not as effective as they could be in slowing down the bike down from 30mph. Car turning round the roundabout still avoided:whistle:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
As the Rule of Six still applies in our tier, five of us set out on one of the last club rides of the year today, keeping our distance but having the chance to chat once we had got through the Gloucester suburbs and out onto the country lanes. Today's ride was a triangle route through Gloucester and Staverton, turning left to cross the flooded Severn on the way to Staunton (where the outdoor seats at the garden centre cafe had been packed away for the winter, leaving us without a cafe stop) and back via Ashleworth and Hartpury. Another good route planned by @KingswayRider. A shame about the drizzly weather though.

I had installed a new cassette yesterday, and was relieved to see that I'd done it properly as it was my first effort. I've been investing in tools lately and trying to skill up to do more maintenance jobs myself. I had also given blood again this week, and only felt about 90% fit, but I still made it up that short, sharp swine of a hill up the Woolridge with my dignity intact. Arrived home with cold, wet feet again, so I let them thaw out this time before diving into a hot bath. Mrs D greeted my arrival with a lovely hot bowl of soup. Ahhhh! Nice.

No photos of the ride this week, but here's one from yesterday, from when I surprised our route planner @KingswayRider (left) with the club's much deserved annual outstanding contribution award. Our award is usually handed out at a Christmas Dinner. This is one was necessarily a much quieter affair, with a unique Covid-compliant flavour to it! 2020 summed up in a rather silly picture:

If I don't post again before Christmas, have a great time everybody (if that's possible) and best wishes for a much better 2021.
Cheers, Donger.

gavgav

Guru
Back in the game!
Distance? About 1/2 mile, around the block. Pleased? Oh, yes! :okay:
After Friday's one-sided face-ground fight, I actually wanted to see how my knee was feeling. It seemed okay - the raw surfaces have hardened nicely. I'm feeling a bit grotty - probably due to side-effects of the precautionary antibiotics, but my Tigger bounce is definitely lurking just beneath the surface. Onwards!
A photo of my local park - just for the sheer hell of it. :whistle:

View attachment 564201
Good news 👍🏻

footloose crow

Über Member
20 December. Nearly the shortest day

After tomorrow everything gets better.

Daylight wise. Not in any other sense, as announcement after announcement from London bites away at my well being. I haven't ridden for ten days because.....well because I keep finding reasons weather related or just life related that would never stand up to scrutiny but allow me to weasel away from the bike and eat another biscuit.

Last night I decided I would just have to get out on the bike. It has been too long. I didn't say anything to anyone including myself. I didn't want to commit. I thought if I did I would find a reason to do something else. I just crept up on this one.

Breakfast over, still not thinking about the ride but just following the habits and muscle memory of preparing to ride. Pulling on the bib tights and finding my overshoes, whilst all the time promising myself I don't have to do this if I don't want to. Just stay in the present moment.

Not thinking about how cold it is today, how wet it has been for days, how muddy and slippery those twisting, hilly lanes will be. Through the front door and still not thinking ahead. Turn the pedals. Watch the sky darkening and then a pulse of rain, heavy on my shoulders but gone as quickly as it arrived with blue sky behind. This is better. Now I am pleased I made the effort, especially arriving at the top of the hill where the legs spin more easily and the breath comes more slowly.

I remember how much I enjoy this. The simple act of passing through a landscape, even a winter one with hedges shrunken by the rain, black sticks and withered brambles, a lane strewn with thorns and gravel and everywhere mud glistening, reflecting the low solstice sun.

Some hills are hard and I fight for every yard, breath rattling, nose streaming, out of the saddle, hating the pain and effort. Some hills pass easily as my mind wanders, thinking those thoughts that solitary cyclists think, the insights that evaporate once you are home, the re telling of stories, the re imagining of things that have passed. The thing is, that 'hard' or 'easy' is not about gradient but the state of mind. I find myself at the top of some hills with no memory of how I got there, spinning and not thinking. Other summits come hard. The gradient is the same.

It is a pastel sky today. Like a child with a set of crayons, streaks of colour on a pale water washed background. The air is clear, scraped clean by the rain, and I can see the colours with a brilliance that belies the usual winter dullness and reminds me spring is coming. I read yesterday that crows, ravens and jackdaws celebrate the solstice with mad aerial dances, spinning and tumbling, presumably happy that longer and better days are to come. I don't see any crows or any other corvids today. I guess they have been listening to the Prime Minister too. Clever birds crows.

I can see Perranporth now and it is all downhill from here, sneaking into the town from the back and arriving on the beach. Catapulted from a solitary wet world of lane and hedge and sweeping views to families out with dogs on the beach, people walking, shops open and in the distance the roar of the surf half a mile away across wet sands and salty puddles.

I don't feed the 'seagulls' and repress my teacherly instinct to correct the sign, for these are gulls not 'seagulls'. The 'seagull' name is not in the bird guides. There are no gulls anyway, presumably as depressed as the crows by the continuing corona crisis, worried that there may be no pasties or chips to steal this summer. Maybe they could eat the fish that no one will be catching soon.

On and on now following the long uphill through Perrancombe, the Christmas lights on display in the big houses lining the lane is impressive. This has been the year for Christmas light displays; our desire to get beyond the fear and anxiety, to roar our defiance with electricity and bulbs.

More not thinking about the hill, clicking down the gears, mind elsewhere counting all the shades of green in the hedgerows and looking for signs of spring. Daffodils are emerging ...and snowdrops. Nature is no respecter of rules. I am in St Agnes with no memory of how I got here, surprised when I look down to see I am still in the big cog on the front. I don't remember clicking onto it. The scenery moves slowly as I pass through it, changing as the angles change, fresh vistas. I cannot remember now why it has taken me so long to get back on the bike. I plan some big routes for the rest of the week, calculating how much I can get away with before domestic duties are required of me. I like this cycling thing. I want to do this every day.

Home arrives too soon. I wanted more but there is always tomorrow.

Except that tomorrow is gales and rain again.

The Sunday papers are not full of good news. But I don't mind. I have found my peace today and when alone in the Cornish lanes I hope the virus cannot stalk me.

Screenshot 2020-12-20 at 18.28.18.png

colly

Re member eR
A short Sunday and so an afternoon ride was called for. I understand the weather is going to be pants for a while so I took the opportunity to get out in the sun. It was late on and so the sun didn't linger but no matter, I had lights aboard and switched on so did I care? I did not.
Not wanting to wander very far I opted to just do some local loops around the quiet and somewhat muddy lanes.

33.6 miles and 1800ft of upness.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/60488644

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
One last day off work before Christmas and a sunny but brezy morning that was too good to waste. Just a short loop taking Gulpher Road down to the golf club in Old Felixstowe then following the coast roads all the way to the viewing area for the port (OOCL Scandinavia in the foreground)
Felixstowe Dock.JPG
Then a stop off at Morrisons to get some pasta pots for lunch at work next week and home.
1608497626224.png

AndreaJ

Veteran
It was supposed to be dry this morning but it started raining again, as I was all ready to go out I carried on, I don’t usually mind riding in the rain but it’s getting a bit annoying now. I set off to Northwood sticking to the main road in the hope that there would be less mud and carried on to Welshampton turning by the school towards Ellesmere through some flooded lanes before I had another flat tyre. This bit of lane is narrow, covered in mud with water running down it so not the best place to have to sort a puncture and it was raining ☹️ Couldn’t find anything in the tyre or rim and now getting fed up I changed the tube, inflated it and hoped for the best. I did decide to change my planned route in case there was still something sharp in the tyre so I wouldn’t have to walk too far home so turned back through the floods to Welshampton and across to Lyneal, all was still good so went round Colemere, back to Loppington, Brown Heath, English Frankton, Myddle, Nonely, the other side of Loppington and home with a still inflated tyre. I don’t usually get many punctures so not sure why I’d get 2 in a couple of weeks. 26 miles down lots of flooded lanes and just as I was getting near home the sun appeared.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The imperial Century Ride a Month 2020 challenge all done and dusted.

I collected my 10th gold star yesterday with a tier 4 ride with @Trickedem , who earned his 10th last week..
Myself, Tim and @rb58 started off this challenge 10 years ago. I don't think we thought we'd be still doing the challenge 10 years later.

It was a very rainy start at 6.45am but luckily it stopped soon after I left to meet Tim. I was heading east and so was the rain, I was lucky, Tim not so, he was heading west, into the rain. 8am and a quick coffee at the agreed meet stop. The rain had now stopped and it promised to be a nice-ish day. It was mostly, only having to suffer a couple of short, sharp downpours, but blue skies appeared and we had a smattering of sun.

20201220_203447-jpg.jpg

We did have a planned route but as Tim had already done his 100 miler for the month, he was only doing a shorter loop so we decided to change our original plans and follow our noses, with Tim grabbing a few velo viewer tiles for good measure.
At 65 miles we parted ways at Rochester and I made my way home, adding in few local loops to make sure I got the 100.

Tim gave me a pressie. This brilliant framed picture. It's now standing very proudly on our lounge sideboard. A lovely gesture. Thanks Tim.

img-20201220-wa0009-jpg.jpg

Its only a few days until 2021.. let the challenge continue :okay:

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Murky and grey out there. I headed out anyway with water everywhere. I took the detour around Hillend to view the water on Longdon Marsh. Fairly extensive. Martin S gave a good wave as he came off the little steep one at Camer's Green. The wind was hindering on the crossing to Much Marcle but a hunting sparrowhawk gave me some good views to take my mind off that. Ledbury was basking in sunshine to the East to confirm the patches of blue sky I had noticed were growing. By the time Trumpet arrived I was in the sunshine. I dodged the floods below Coddington but got a tad confused as my mind was somewhere else. So I retraced but found all well. So back in the conscious world I continued North to round the Hills and take a bit more hindrance from the wind as I rode the last few miles. All good. 52 smiles

that looks great, what is the white stuff? fish?

Yep a single cod filet, looks like a lot of food but its not, just one medium potato a couple of tomatoes, handful of mushrooms, half an onion, baby corn, piquante peppers, garlic and a tiny bit of salt & pepper oh and of course a few drizzles of extra virgin olive oil. Simple as and healthy, one serving is about 350-400 kcals

Top Bottom