Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
My rebellious streak got the better of me today as I took a trip across the border a day before it's legal again.
The planned route looked like it might have to be revised due to an unexpected 'road closed' sign, the diversion being five miles back the way I'd just come. Could they not have signed the closure and diversion where the diversion diverges from the normal route? Anyhow, I carried on to see just how closed the road was, the answer being not for bikes or peds, though the closure signs gave no hint of this.
Kalemouth suspension bridge. The huge concrete bollards have been placed lengthwise in the centre of the lane -

On to the border. Honestly occifer how was I to know this it the border, there isn't a sign. (Note the change in tarmac colour).

It's a wee bit more obvious on the way back though.

The map -

1619386341726.png

53.5 miles @ 15.5 mph, 942m up.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
A great club ride today .... a longer than usual one up into Herefordshire and Worcestershire and up and over the Malverns. I may have been the last one up, but I managed the climb to Hollybush and the brutal climb up to British Camp in one go, so I proved there was still life in the old dog. When we dropped down from the summit, we took a road that @twentysix by twentyfive has often mentioned, down Old Wyche Road. He has never mentioned that it is like standing on the launch ramp of a 90 metre ski jump! Two of us got off and walked down the top bit. I rather liked the idea of being able to stop. Once I remounted, it was a great, enjoyable zig-zag of a descent.
Near Hollybush:
View attachment 585784
On Castlemorton Common:
View attachment 585785
At British Camp:
View attachment 585786
At one point during the descent, I actually had to pick a fly out of my teeth. Then later on I took a smack from a beetle between the eyebrows! Came home with a real sun tan from this ride and Friday's pub crawl ride. Great company as always. 69.2 miles done.
Cheers.:hello:
So pleased to hear you had a fab outing to the Malverns. That Old Wyche Road is a serious bit of slope. I've never ridden up it and even walking down is tricky. I tend to use the "new" Wyche road. Well done surviving that part :bicycle::bicycle:

A Rainbow Ride
Well, just.....................Red, Black & Green................
Oh! & Hell...............

Bike selected; CGR, as I would be on farm-tracks/bridleways
Weather; quite cool, no cloud, blue skies, slight breeze
Photographs from today; unless dated otherwise
Geograph used; to illustrate points not covered by my own images (& to give a map location)

A gentle potter after a weekend away

Out over the footbridge over Normanton Bypass
(accessed from the layby almost underneath it; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3675383

Dropping onto the junction of Elsicker Lane & (the curiously named) Butchers Gap Lane
Bike facing wrong way here

The bypass is shadowed for a while, before heading off along the route of the 'Wakefield Wheel'
Following the dotted line, rhrough the 'L' of 'Warmfield'; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6742779

Along through New Sharlston, along Hell Lane, passing the (permanantly painted) start/finish line used by Wakefield CC, for their annual road-race promotion
With a right turn onto Red Lane

The treeline is the route of an old railway, a branch off the Normanton - Derby line, that served Loscar Pit

The far end of Red Lane, comes out onto PineApple Hill, with 'The PineApple' (pub, as was, to the top, now a rather nice house!!)

This is Black Road, although not a lot of people call if that
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3784588

Turning left down the hill, crosses the cutting of the Normanton - Derby line & its route to Goosehill Junction
Once the line is crossed, it's a right onto Green Lane

The old bridge over the cutting can be seen (not filled in!)

The Public Footpath sign points along, what was one of my regular run routes (no matter what the season, or weather)
Towards Heath

As we climb alongside the cutting, we reach some tree-cover
The surface wasn't always this good!!
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6788143

And, at the far end, we come out onto Kirkthorpe Lane, opposite The Church of St Peter The Apostle, where the graves of the Benedictine Nuns are to be found
There's also Half-Moon Lane, where the old stocks still stand

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/356338

Then it was home through the NewLands Estate, as partially seen here; https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/t...esting-geographs.215788/page-284#post-6373395
(& the post immediately following)

Last edited:
20210426_100913.jpg

On the way to work this morning...

20210426_094521.jpg

On the way back a couple of hours later. I needed to pick up something from a customer in the next village, which I happen to live in, and the quickest way there was on the traffic-free agricultural roads.

Sometimes I'm amazed that I get to do this: I am slowly getting used to being in a region where people go on holiday, and ride a bike here every day, but being paid to do it is a nice extra...

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another sunny spring day although it was a bit cool for short sleeves when I set off. Hoping that it would warm up quickly I set off to Wolverley and Loppington, through the village to Burlton then over the crossroads to Marton, turned off to Weston Lullingfields, Bagley and Lee remembering to avoid the awful potholes that are getting worse each time I go past. Turned off to pass Whitemere crossing the road at Spunhill up to the nature reserve and Colemere, onto Lyneal, Welshampton, Bettisfield, Northwood and home. 25.8 miles and another quiet morning with not many people about.
F8D5730A-E95B-44BA-A88F-152F0DF16CE9.jpeg

View attachment 585980

View attachment 585981

On the way back a couple of hours later. I needed to pick up something from a customer in the next village, which I happen to live in, and the quickest way there was on the traffic-free agricultural roads.

Sometimes I'm amazed that I get to do this: I am slowly getting used to being in a region where people go on holiday, and ride a bike here every day, but being paid to do it is a nice extra...
If you want to do a house/job swap for a bit no problem. There are three bikes at your disposal in Chester ^_^

A great club ride today .... a longer than usual one up into Herefordshire and Worcestershire and up and over the Malverns. I may have been the last one up, but I managed the climb to Hollybush and the brutal climb up to British Camp in one go, so I proved there was still life in the old dog. When we dropped down from the summit, we took a road that @twentysix by twentyfive has often mentioned, down Old Wyche Road. He has never mentioned that it is like standing on the launch ramp of a 90 metre ski jump! Two of us got off and walked down the top bit. I rather liked the idea of being able to stop. Once I remounted, it was a great, enjoyable zig-zag of a descent.
Near Hollybush:
View attachment 585784
On Castlemorton Common:
View attachment 585785
At British Camp:
View attachment 585786
At one point during the descent, I actually had to pick a fly out of my teeth. Then later on I took a smack from a beetle between the eyebrows! Came home with a real sun tan from this ride and Friday's pub crawl ride. Great company as always. 69.2 miles done.
Cheers.:hello:
Reminds me of cycling in that area in 1981. I had a route for return journey picked out on the OS map, but when I saw it, like you I had second thoughts

C R

Guru
Reminds me of cycling in that area in 1981. I had a route for return journey picked out on the OS map, but when I saw it, like you I had second thoughts
The interesting thing is that if you plot a bike route up to the Wyche Cutting using Google maps it plots it using the Old Wyche Rd! If I didn't know the area I might have tried it :rolleyes:.

ianbarton

Veteran
The last two weeks of good weather enabled me to reach my target of 100 miles per week. Yesterday I took a slightly different route to Whitchurch. I had already eaten lunch and I didn't fancy the steep grind up to Wirswall and the picnic bench. Ignoring the right hand turn to Wirswall I carried on to Marbury. Unfortunately, the pub isn't open yet, or I might have been tempted to stop. A couple of steep up and downs took me into Whitchurch, where I bought some snacks in Sainsbury. Cycling through the centre of town I made my way out of town, crossing the A41 into Edgely. From there it's a bit of up and down into Ightfield where I turned off towards Millenheath. I continued through the hamlet of Willaston and turned towards Moreton Say. Another left turn and a nice stretch of downhill to the lake at Tittenley. A final few kilometres up a gentle rise took me back home.

49km and 400 metres of up and down.

26-04-21-A-bike-ride-in-Dodcott-cum-Wilkesley-England.png

Lodges at the edge of the Shavington estate.

vlcsnap-2021-04-27-13h35m32s744.png

Old jon

Guru
Blue sky hiding behind clouds, occasionally visible. And it is a long time since my last ride, had a very painful left foot since late on Friday afternoon. By last evening it seemed to be better, but not better enough to go on the club rule of six ride today.

So it was a solo ride for me. On the Spa, and to pinch a song title, no particular place to go. For a start, ride across Leeds to Slaid Hill. That is most of the steeper climbing done, if the foot did not like it, I never heard a grumble. From here to East Keswick is a fun road, even the rising road out of the village has its good points. The top, anyway. Right turn onto the A659, one part of it anyway, and pedal to Collingham, mostly downhill.

Cross the River Wharfe at Linton, should I follow the club ride? No, I think a shorter ride would be better. So into Wetherby for a munch stop. And out on the A168 to Wattle Syke, more A659, but then onto West Woods Road to ride to Bramham. This is turning into an often ridden route, but that is fine. Out on a bike is good. Leave Bramham on Thorner Road, bear right onto Thorner Lane, this trends upwards, to Holme Farm Lane.

Onto Milner Lane from here, I did try the camera again, something not right there. But anyway, there is another Thorner Lane next, it goes to Scarcroft. Cross the A58 here, straight on by the golf course on what eventually is Tarn Lane. And back to Wike Ridge Lane. The lights at Slaid Hill, turn right, crossing the outward route and then it is all downhill to home. And it was good to see my front door, a grin for that. Thirty five miles, 2100 feet of upwardness and a couple of rain showers in the final eight or ten miles. Cracking good ride!

Mappery and Uppery, could almost be paintmakers . . .

27042021.jpg

2704elev.jpg

A spin out to test the revell's new brakes, really, but decided to try and get reasonable miles in anyhow.
Maybe because I now have confidence in the whole bike, it seemed to go better!
Really good stopping power from the Tektro R559s.

Reasonably busy on the trail. There was certainly one point where I think the cyclists I overtook were a bit 'WTF' when some old geezer blew past them on a 'girls' bike...Mind, it was downhill!
:biggrin:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
View attachment 585980

View attachment 585981

Looks awful

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Its amazing the beautiful Kent countryside easy accessible from SE London by bike.
Left home early this morning in sunny but chilly temperatures. Even though it did warm up quite quickly, that pesky wind was also rather chilly.
So, 104 miles for the day. Imperial century #6 for the year. #294 over all.

Top Bottom