Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
got out before sunset last night
field 1.jpg

dusk water.jpg

gavgav

Guru
Arranged an early evening ride with @Rickshaw Phil and Doug, pleasantly warm but a strong and gusty West to South Westerly wind, as I set off into it, up to their place. We’d not ridden together since our holiday to Cumbria in early March. Where does time go?

We then climbed up Lyth Hill, before dropping down and across the A49, then a nice wind assisted run into Condover. I paused in the village, as there was no sign of Phil and Doug, with them eventually appearing and it turned out Phil hadn’t managed to get out across the main road when the other 2 of us had.

We were then into the wind again, on the long steady climb to Ryton, before we branched off and along the lane to Longnor. We were finally out of the wind again there, as we turned mainly North, to Frodesley and Acton Burnell, speed tempered a little on the best downhill section, by slowing for a horse.

As we left Acton Burnell, another cyclist approached from the CoundMoor road and shortly afterwards overtook us. Any delusions of grandeur I had at keeping up with her were soon dashed as she left us for dead!

There was a nice surprise at Pitchford, as we came across some much needed long and proper smooth tarmac resurfacing of the WHOLE road, not just patchwork pothole repairs, but they’d saved those for the fast downhill section into the dip, not long after the village!

We paused by Pitchford Hall for a drink and then struggled back into what felt like a wind tunnel again, before climbing to Cantlop, then enjoying the fast descent and climbing back up to King Street. A Moron in a black truck gave a fast and close pass along there, on the widest bit of road for miles 😡

We parted ways near mine, with 19.66 miles on the clock, at 12.3mph avg and 1001 ft of climbing.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've got a couple of rides to mention.

Monday: I managed to get out in the afternoon and thought I'd go for a hilly ride. The good bikes were blocked in a bit so I took the knockabout bike instead. This would also be a pretty good test for my claim that the recent adjustment is better for climbing.

I started by heading over Lyth Hill into a pretty brisk headwind, then dropped down the other side and headed for Plealey then Pontesbury. A flag by the road showed that the wind was more southerly than it felt at the time but this should be good for later on. The main road through Pontesbury wasn't as busy as last time I was here so I stayed with it closer to the centre before turning off and starting the climb to Habberley, which was directly into the wind so slower than last time.

In Habberley I turned off towards Westcott along a nice undulating lane through some good scenery. At Westcott it turns in the direction of up and somehow I'd managed to forget quite how steep or long this climb is. I managed it alright and didn't resort to my lowest gear though.

I headed for Bridges next then started more climbing to Ratlinghope and up the valley to Darnford on a lane I had to myself until not far from Wildmoor Pool. After the summit of the climb I wasn't sure which way I fancied heading back. Seeing another cyclist coming up the bridleway reminded me that I haven't been that way for quite a while so I headed offroad and enjoyed it.^_^

On joining the tarmac again at the end, there was a group of the wild ponies gathered just off the road. Visitors have obviously been feeding them as they came wandering over when I stopped, to check what treats I might have. I'm afraid I disappointed them.

More bridleway was tempting but I decided to drop down the road to All Stretton this time. It proved to be a bit busier than expected with cars coming up the hill so I had to stop a few times as it's very narrow. I took my usual way back to cross the A49 (no loose sheep today) and headed through Hollyhurst and picking up the tailwind that I'd been hoping for and swept me along very nicely through Longnor and Ryton to Condover then up to the A49.

31.4 miles at a decent 11.3 mph average. Great to be out and that tailwind was brilliant to finish off with.^_^

20220509_134939.jpg

In Pontesbury.

20220509_143617.jpg

The Horseshoe at The Bridges.

20220509_144754.jpg

Working my way up the valley to Darnford.

20220509_150533_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Wildmoor Pool.

20220509_151614_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The warning sign at High Park. It's in the wrong place really as you'll get stuck long before this when the road does get blocked by snow.

20220509_151725_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Also taken near the sign - a bit of damage from the storms we had last winter.

20220509_151945.jpg

Heading along the bridleway towards Plush Hill.

20220509_152847.jpg

Very friendly locals.

20220509_153202.jpg

View from Jinley.

20220509_153653.jpg

All Stretton.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Parked up at Snaith railway station for a morning ride out with my friend Chris. Not long, 30 miles, but long enough for me as my recovery / acceptance of my heart disease continues. Brisk SW wind helped and hindered at various locations.

fullsizeoutput_494.jpeg

The section of the Trans Pennine through Burn airfield has been tarmacked at someones considerable cost ... great improvement.

First stop at the start of the canal path section east of Selby, and the local shop in Riccall for supplies.
20220510_093129.jpg

20220510_084927.jpg

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday: As @gavgav has already reported, he joined my brother and I for a spin around the lanes in the late afternoon. I was going to get the Raleigh out but then changed my mind and used the knockabout bike again.

Having climbed over Lyth Hill (against a blustery wind) we needed to join the A49 for a short stretch at Hunger Hill. He and Doug got out onto the road when a gap presented but as I got up to the line I saw a couple of cars coming from the left so erred on the side of caution. I probably should have gone for it as the cars weren't going as fast as I first thought and it meant I had an annoyingly long wait for the next gap in the traffic. Oh, well.

Having made a mad dash to try and catch up (fortunately with a tailwind once off the A49) and picked up Doug on the way who had come back to see where I'd got to we rejoined with Gav in Condover and carried on. We had a cross-headwind on the way to Longnor then picked up a pretty good tailwind through Frodesley and on the way to Acton Burnell.

In Acton Burnell we met the cyclist that Gav has mentioned. The way that she was kitted out with all the gear and disappeared into the distance so effortlessly makes me think that she probably races for real.

The smooth new surface through Pitchford was a nice surprise (shame they haven't done the same into the dip after the village) and we enjoyed the downhill section after Cantlop but could have done without the close overtake climbing up the other side. The nice flowing section to Betton was fun before we had to head back into the wind which was working against Doug and I for the rest of the rip after parting from Gav.

19.3 miles showing for me at the end and 12.6 mph average (probably skewed due to the section where I was having to chase to catch up). Nice to be out in a group again.^_^

20220510_171839.jpg

I've got a couple of rides to mention.

Monday: I managed to get out in the afternoon and thought I'd go for a hilly ride. The good bikes were blocked in a bit so I took the knockabout bike instead. This would also be a pretty good test for my claim that the recent adjustment is better for climbing.

I started by heading over Lyth Hill into a pretty brisk headwind, then dropped down the other side and headed for Plealey then Pontesbury. A flag by the road showed that the wind was more southerly than it felt at the time but this should be good for later on. The main road through Pontesbury wasn't as busy as last time I was here so I stayed with it closer to the centre before turning off and starting the climb to Habberley, which was directly into the wind so slower than last time.

In Habberley I turned off towards Westcott along a nice undulating lane through some good scenery. At Westcott it turns in the direction of up and somehow I'd managed to forget quite how steep or long this climb is. I managed it alright and didn't resort to my lowest gear though.

I headed for Bridges next then started more climbing to Ratlinghope and up the valley to Darnford on a lane I had to myself until not far from Wildmoor Pool. After the summit of the climb I wasn't sure which way I fancied heading back. Seeing another cyclist coming up the bridleway reminded me that I haven't been that way for quite a while so I headed offroad and enjoyed it.^_^

On joining the tarmac again at the end, there was a group of the wild ponies gathered just off the road. Visitors have obviously been feeding them as they came wandering over when I stopped, to check what treats I might have. I'm afraid I disappointed them.

More bridleway was tempting but I decided to drop down the road to All Stretton this time. It proved to be a bit busier than expected with cars coming up the hill so I had to stop a few times as it's very narrow. I took my usual way back to cross the A49 (no loose sheep today) and headed through Hollyhurst and picking up the tailwind that I'd been hoping for and swept me along very nicely through Longnor and Ryton to Condover then up to the A49.

31.4 miles at a decent 11.3 mph average. Great to be out and that tailwind was brilliant to finish off with.^_^

View attachment 644213
In Pontesbury.

The Horseshoe at The Bridges.

Working my way up the valley to Darnford.

Wildmoor Pool.

The warning sign at High Park. It's in the wrong place really as you'll get stuck long before this when the road does get blocked by snow.

Also taken near the sign - a bit of damage from the storms we had last winter.

Heading along the bridleway towards Plush Hill.

Very friendly locals.

View from Jinley.

All Stretton.
killer mud flaps, man! are they DIY?

delb0y

Legendary Member
Been riding lots - but all just "utility" rides. This was the first ride for ride's sake for a couple of months. Just ten miles round the lanes this morning starting off around 5:30. Very pleasant, and I can reliably inform the team that there's no shortage of rabbits and pheasants out there. Hopefully get back in the groove a bit more soon, life-plans permitting.

May Dawn # 1.jpg

May Dawn # 2.jpg

May Dawn # 3.jpg

Old jon

Guru
The Cinelli is now all together. And I took it for its first ride, since I bought it, this morning. Which almost started in disaster, I had not checked how tight the cleats were. They were very tight indeed. Luckily, I was on a very quiet road. Even more lucky, I do not fasten my shoes very tight. There was enough room to wiggle one foot out of its shoe. And then the other, and I was stood in socked feet at the side of the road. Out with allen keys, slacken cleat tension right off and try again. Successfully.

And continue. The intention was for more of a photography session than a ride, a bit of unusual for me back pain is limiting my riding. So, away I pedalled to the Leeds and Liverpool canal and stopped at Oddy Locks to take some pics. Had to screw in the friction a bit on the rear changer lever on the way there, that was the only other adjustment I had to make. Ride past, and over, the former loading cut for Kirkstall power station and stop again at Bridge 222 on the canal for more picture taking.

01.JPG
+

03.JPG

04.JPG

06.JPG

08.JPG

The only uphill of the day is to come next, a couple of three rise locks on the way towards Rodley. And a few more pics at the swing bridge to the west of that place.

09.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

Turned around here, canal towpaths can be rather poorly surfaced. So back along to the turn off for Kirkstall station and after crossing the lines there, onto tarmac it is. And a straightforward pedal back into the town centre and the minor bits back home.

Very happy with the bike, though the gearing is way high, 54 and 42 on the front, the big one is more or less redundant unless I can find some quick descents, which usually involve upwards too at some stage. Eighteen miles is not enough to learn much about the bike, many more learning miles to come, with grin.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I’ve been trying to put a bit more effort in of late (I’m a bit of a pootler) so quite a quick morning commute 6.69 miles with an average of 19.3 mph. Not bad for me on a Tricross with a backpack👍
My friend David met me after work for a different loop hope via Boston Spa, Thorner, Aberford & Barwick, 21.38 miles with an average of 16.1 mph. Struggled in the headwind for half the ride but a few wind assisted PB’s in the second half.
73C57927-D433-4197-98AA-FA9545716AE2.jpeg

9E398F93-4F90-4231-862D-D4F5C705AFD3.jpeg

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another ride out with my clubmate and near neighbour John today during his lunchtime. Down to Frampton on Severn and back, 17 miles. Exactly the sort of ride I have been needing ... just a little faster (about 15mph) than I would have gone on my own, but not fast enough to cause me breathing problems. We met a clubmate while we were out, stopping to chat and putting John a little behind schedule, so I let him speed off back to work when we were a few miles from home, and I did a bit of Strade Bianche riding down to the canal and onwards along the canal tow path. A very enjoyable ride.

buzz22

Today's ride was supposed to be to get some exercise and nothing more, but my choice of bike today ended up becoming a nice reminder of why I got back into bikes.
I finished a busy 24 hour shift this morning, came home for a quick sleep for a few hours then made the most of a nice day and hit my regular route just to get the legs moving.
I chose my 1987 Clamont, bought as a bare frame and having gone through a few combinations of set ups until finally reaching where it is now.
After getting sucked into the lower spoke count look for a while I recently replaced the Mavic Aksiums I had on it with a spare set of more period correct anodised Araya wheels. The more traditional wheels are a much better match for the steel frame in the way they ride and today the bike felt much smoother and "together" than it did with the Mavics.
This is the bike that cemented my interest in bikes from the late 80's to mid 90's era and today I fell in love with it all over again.

20220514_141222.jpg

It ended up being a slightly leisurely pace but that's ok, I got out there.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
I cant cycle much anymore but todays utility ride didnt go well :tongue: (well it did until some idiot marred it)
Circa 12 mile ride to pick up some preoredered clothes from town, cycling along, no great speed, a minibus type taxi was at a jnctn, obviously couldnt wait while i cleared, pulled out in front of me, looking at me as he did, he obviously, naturally, thought id give way to him :laugh:
Just side swiped him a bit, pulled my handlebars to one side, no damage, no injuries. Got his reg but by the time the police operator wasted time telling me i had to report it online...id forgotten half of it :angry:.

Ah well, it hasnt spoiled my day, the ride was good barring that, hopefully he wont sleep, i pointed at his reg plate as he drove away . And who knows, if he is a 'professional' driver, he might proceed with a little caution in future.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Did my first backpacking trip last night. So rode out to the site last night after work and back this morning, about 40km each way.

It wasn't a fully featured site, just had a basic toilet and a tap, but they sold us some logs and provided bricks so we could have a proper fire.

The trangia 27 was fab as expected, but I could do with a smaller fuel bottle.

Tent had a pole mishap which was probably due to the way I strapped it to the bike, but this is not my first rodeo so an effective repair was made. Other everything was perfect.

IMG_20220513_170027.jpg

IMG_20220513_193911.jpg

IMG_20220513_200519.jpg

IMG_20220513_204051.jpg

IMG_20220513_212320.jpg

IMG_20220513_230506.jpg

IMG_20220514_072658.jpg

IMG_20220514_100202.jpg

Top Bottom