Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Our egg machines have been laying poorly if late!

Yeah, I've been told it's because they're preoccupied with moulting.. while they're bound to slow down as the temperature drops - as I recall was the case when our garden use to play host to the viscious little feathered dinosaurs.

I envy your immediate supply of fresh eggs; if not the mess, grot and rats that typically come with it :tongue:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Monday 31st: I only had a couple of hours free in the morning so took the Raleigh for a spin round the longer Acton Burnell loop. It wasn't quite as warm as the previous few days so I opted for trousers rather than shorts, but later came to think I'd got that choice wrong.

Since I was setting out at rush hour on the first day after the half term holiday I thought that heading over Lyth Hill would be a good idea to reduce the time spent in the traffic on the A49 - it was really busy and I had a longish wait for a gap.

As with previous rides, it was quite windy so it was a slow ride through Ryton to Longnor, where I expected to pick up a good tailwind but it didn't seem to be helping very much this time to Frodesley and Acton Burnell. It was pretty uneventful on my usual long way round to Cound, where the flag of Turkey was flying this time.

I thought I'd take the road towards Pitchford then Cantlop this time to return to Condover and I finally picked up the hoped for tailwind for the dash up to a now much quieter A49.

23.6 miles at 14.8 mph average. A bit of an effort but it was good to be out.

Just the one snapshot from Lyth Hill this time:
20221031_075909.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday: The mild weather at the end of October very quickly gave way to colder and wetter conditions to start November, however Friday looked promising to get my challenge ride in for the new month so I got the Raleigh cleaned and prepared for an early start.

I started off shortly before 7am into a chilly but dry and calm morning with the intention of heading out to Lake Vyrnwy as this is my favourite route for the Imperial Century Challenge. I headed round the old bypass to Shelton then joined the road to Bicton (a bit of frost on the grass here) and Montford Bridge. The sun was properly up by Great Ness, casting a nice golden light on everything but causing the issue that it was dazzling the drivers coming towards me.

At Pentre I took the roundabout route past the Royal Hill (met a group of runners just past Cae Howell who couldn't decide which side of the road to move to, but did thank me for having given a ting of the bell) then to Cross Lanes and Maesbrook where I used the main road to reach Llwyntidmon Hall rather than the lane for a change (about the same distance but a little quicker I think) then joined the lane to Waen Wen and Llynclys. So far, so good - the bike felt nice and I'd arrived at my second breakfast stop a little earlier than expected.

Moving on again, I was headed up the Tanat Valley as usual. With there being very little wind at this point I was making good progress. The road was busier than I'm used to but the drivers were well behaved so that wasn't really an issue. There was a policeman with speed gun at Pen-y-bont Llanerch Emrys but I wasn't going quick enough to attract his attention - some of the other road users may have done though.

The wind started to pick up once I'd passed Llangedwyn which slowed me down and suddenly made the riding feel much more of an effort. I relaxed the pace but it did worry me a bit that I should be feeling this fatigued before getting to the serious hills. The first big climb comes between Pedair Ffordd and Penybontfawr and didn't seem too bad but the legs were reluctant to get going again after my drink stop in Penybontfawr. Plodding up the Hirnant Valley I found a sheep snoozing in the middle of the road - there obviously hasn't been much traffic along here ^_^ then the climb at the end wasn't as bad as I'd feared and I could enjoy the descent to Llanwddyn. The final gentle climb to the dam was a little slow but the view up the lake is always worth it.

I had my elevenses stop here beside a sign warning that the road around the lake is going to be closed from next Monday (7th) for two weeks - I'm so glad I've got my ride in before that happens.:ohmy:

The wind was getting quite blustery as I headed round for the first lap of the lake so I took my time and enjoyed the scenery. I'd hoped that I'd have it helping once I'd rounded the north-western end but, as I've learned from previous rides here, the wind here doesn't always come from the direction you'd expect due to the turbulence caused by the surrounding hills.

There were a few people out walking on the lake road but hardly any cyclists this time, and none at the cafe when I got there. On the plus side, I didn't have to queue to get my coffee and I had my pick of the benches outside to sit and drink it at. Having enjoyed that I started my return lap of the lake, with a few photo stops along the way. The legs seemed quite reluctant to get going and as I rounded the end of the lake and found an unexpected headwind I could feel some worrying strains in the muscles. At my next food stop back at the dam I dropped the saddle a few mm hoping that would help but fearing the damage was already done.

It was a cold return down the hill to Llanwddyn, then a slow and steady climb out of the village. When the gradient ramped up as I returned over the big climb I got the first twinges that showed my legs wanted to cramp, so I took it very gently and got up that one alright. I almost returned back along Cwm Hirnant but didn't want to admit defeat so carried on climbing and went via Cwm Fedw as I usually prefer to do. This lane was full of pheasants, most of them flew off at my approach, apart from one that stubbornly stayed put in the middle of the road as I passed - he won't last long I suspect.:whistle:

Signs of cramp came back on the climb out of Penybontfawr but I made it over this hill without having to stop, then I enjoyed a wind assisted run back down the Tanat Valley - not as quick as I have been in the past and having to be a bit careful on all the climbs. Near Porth Y Waen I pulled in to allow a lorry past on a twisty bit (got a toot of thanks) and the right leg cramped properly as I came to a halt - not good. I wasn't far from my next planned stop back at Llynclys so I carried on gingerly and was glad to rest and have another snack and a drink.

Knowing I'd have to be careful for the last 20 miles I took to the lanes and returned the way I'd come in the morning; Waen Wen, Maesbrook, Cross Lanes, The Royal Hill and Pentre. At Wilcott my legs cramped again before I'd even reached the proper climb but fortunately I could pull off the road for another drink and a handful of jelly babies, which helped.

The next climb I wasn't looking forward to comes after Montford Bridge, over to Bicton. It's a long drag and the cramp was back again but this time I was just able to ride through it, helped in part by being distracted on seeing a cyclist walking his bike a bit further up the hill. When I reached him I asked if everything was okay and got the answer "It's cold innit." I carried on and he came riding past me shortly afterwards but ran out of puff just before the crest so I overtook again. He then came past on the downhill until he ran out of gears (mountain bike) and I slipped past again - I've got 99 miles on the clock, my legs are shot and here I am racing with a teenager.:laugh:

The speedometer clicked over to 100 miles in Bicton and I decided to stay on the road to Shelton as there was less traffic than I was expecting for this time on a Friday afternoon. I got onto the cycle paths as soon as possible in Shelton and trundled along, enjoying the fact that the traffic was starting to grind to a halt and I was now quicker than them.

There are a couple of short but sharp hills which I just about managed alright, then the last gentle drag to home.

105.28 miles for the day at 13.1 mph average. I had really hoped I'd fixed the cramp problem.:sad: On the other hand, the saddle stayed comfortable all ride so I've got something right at least.:okay:

20221104_072755.jpg

Not quite as picturesque as last time but still a pretty scene as the sun comes up at Montford Bridge.

20221104_074549.jpg

Nice morning light as I head to Great Ness.

20221104_101041_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Jumping ahead; a nice autumnal look in Cwm Hirnant.

20221104_104219.jpg

The classic view on arrival at Llyn Efyrnwy.

20221104_112029_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Riding round the head of the lake.

20221104_114122.jpg

20221104_120947_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The lake level has recovered a bit since I was last here but still hasn't reached the boathouse and slipway.

20221104_121016_Richtone(HDR).jpg

View of the dam from the boating centre.

20221104_121722_Richtone(HDR).jpg

On my return lap of the lake.

20221104_131540_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Last view before I have to head for home.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Some epic rides again folks; with some of the images posting doing a fantastic job of making the scenery round here look decidely ordinary..

Another super-boring one with no pics...

This morning saw me straight out of bed and onto the bike in search of the usual eggs. It looked murky outside but by the time I'd dragged myself from my warm cacoon it was still grim but the fog had cleared, and I welcomed the chance to push the envelope of the conditions I'm comfortable riding in / develop a decent collection of gear to cope with said conditions.

So, out again on the Fuji - taking no chances with lightish gloves, Merino base layer, cheapo Regatta fleece, thin craghoppers trousers and my very well-worn pair of Scarpa shoes. Since I'd toyed with the idea of going further than just the farm I took my Osprey rucksack (that contains all the cycling things) and one Orlieb pannier bag to house the precious; should the universe see fit to allow me some.

Got to the farm to find two boxes of eggs and bought them both; which may or may not make me a terrible person... although in my defence I won't get the chance to get down there again until Thursday so everyone else can have a fair crack of the whip in my absence.

Eggs sorted I pressed on east to the next village and down a reasonably-appointed bridleway. Long story short I ended up doing a reasonable anti-clockwise loop; getting a little caught out by the prevailing southerly wind as well as my inevitably post-fast low blood sugar (fast was broken last night after 48hrs with maybe 800kcal of food, today's ride was a pushing double that). The latter half of the ride was definitely less fun than it should have been, but I pressed on knowing that it's good to push the body past its comfort zone - something I really don't do enough.

Thankfully it stayed dry but there was plenty of damp on the roads and I sullied the Fuji a bit more with a very ginger ride down a muddy / grass bridleway; which was pretty much the limit of what the tyres were cable of handling, with a few slippy moments. As great as the mudguards are I now have quite a bit more of the countryside stuck to the frame and fork, thanks to the thick, sticky mud here and really thin mobile stuff picked up on a faster section passing a construction site.

Upon arriving home the final numbers were a little under 27 miles and 1200ft at 10.8mph and 130bpm for just under 1500kcal burned. I was absolutely wrung out by the time I got back, but feel a lot better now for a shower - physically knackered but mentally pretty level - which is most welcome. I'm also somewhat smug for having got out at all as it's now practically dark outside and the rain's lashing down..

Grateful for this nice fusion of utility and leisure riding, and yet another trip I'd probably not have undertaken were it not for the Fuji :smile:

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
In search of a cheap Kenco tinned coffee, always seems to on offer somewhere but discovered this morning that at the Co-Op had ended so a look at the supermarket comparison in the tools of the Latest Deals app, and I also had a ride to Waitrose. No sooner than I was ready to set off than a bit of drizzle fell but that quickly stopped. The road works had ended, which previously forced such rides onto the same old route used for other town centre(ish) rides, so via a signed cycle route along a narrow path and looping round to the end of cul-de-sac, assuming correctly there were no surprises lurking under a thick blanket of leaves over the grasscrete that forms an emergency exit from that cul-de-sac. Ahead I saw a group of MTBers and caught them on the climb up from the golf club, one opting to zig zag and thankfully stayed on the zig as my ebike growled pass.
mtb golf.jpg

This was the point where the roadworks had inconveniently sited a temporary traffic light rather than round the bend at the foot of the 1 in 5. Beyond I divert briefly from the signed route as that does an acute turn onto another steep climb invariably meaning you end up way across the middle of road on the turn. Routes merged and headed downhill towards the Royal Pump Room; the two cars are following the 2019 UCI circuit which eventually looped round to the road on the left.
Royal Pump Rm.jpg

Slowness then crept in with a tailback from a zebra crossing and waiting for the green cycle to cross the northbound A61. After that comes a right turn onto the southbound A61 to access Waitrose and I obviously need to cycle even slower than I did to avoid a wait at at that second set of lights.

Coffee acquired and skys briefly were bright, but then it started raining so it was a damp if not soggy end to the ride back along the more cycled route.

5.42 miles 346ft of elevation.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
13 muddy mountain bike miles around local lanes, though it was dirty enough to be off road!

I got caught up in the local commuter traffic…
5A953D20-1031-4FDC-BD8F-381CC65950AF.jpeg

It took 10 minutes wait before the stragglers were in!

I was very lucky with the weather. There have been some fierce and prolonged showers here today. I think the dry spell is over!

B55A836E-2490-4B38-B43C-579E2AF11672.jpeg

849F3427-C64F-43B2-AE36-B1A391F8E7D4.jpeg

9369CC16-9D02-40FD-B799-88794C9A68D9.jpeg

606D217F-4B5F-4108-B153-76C12FD161E3.jpeg

CDE18F24-510E-4BC3-A251-EF325C3EABD2.jpeg

E7972BA8-E7B7-4420-B83F-B1EA426D638D.jpeg

F7883623-339B-44A6-8007-981CC61579F4.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/8078212443

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
It's my Uncles funeral tomorrow and my wife had arranged to take the kids out today to give me some head space, so I got up as the sun rose and headed out for a ride.

I wasn't really feeling it, but set off aiming for the Clarion House up near Pendle. The weather and my legs didn't really agree, so I settled for a ride up to Accrington and back, pretty boring but actually the most I have climbed in one ride so it was decent practice, took some Bridleways which really slowed my down, but gave me chance to observe the world.

Someone shouted at me for scaring them as my brake squeaked as I was passing them at walking pace. She said, "You need to use your bell" I pointed out I had rang it a number of times and said "excuse me please" but hey ho, what can we do.

I made a mechanical error the other day when cleaning the rear wheel and brake pads, I must have forgotten to reseat the return spring on one of the arms on the rear, this had been dragging all the way and I noticed about 20 km from home, I just thought the noise was mud 🤦 probably didn't help with the hills.

New pads to be ordered as it's worn it past the limit, which is annoying, but lesson learned.

Turned out to be just what the doctor ordered though.

IMG_20221106_165523.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221106_165523.jpg
    IMG_20221106_165523.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1

Jameshow

Veteran
Steady away along the canal to silsden, up over the moor to Addingham, up to Bolton Abbey, back to Skipton and home to Baildon on the winter bike, good to be back on the bike, but the spa saddle isn't too comfy!
Just to show ColinJ and his mates I have a heavy steel bike!!!!

Attachments

• IMG-20221106-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20221106-WA0002.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG-20221106-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20221106-WA0004.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-20221106-WA0006.jpeg
    IMG-20221106-WA0006.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-20221106-WA0008.jpeg
    IMG-20221106-WA0008.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 5
After a bit of gardening decided to pop out for an hour or so as no rain forecast for around hereto and behold it started raining as I left the house:rolleyes:.

Still a damp but nice loop around for 30k on mud strewn fen roads on the All Road with the 650's on for the first time with Rene Herse tyres; no slides and felt sure-footed despite the conditions.

Damp and dirty Stayer at the end;

IMG_3917.jpeg

Not the quickest by a long stretch but keeping things easy with the knee issues at the mo;

https://www.strava.com/activities/8081769436

a.twiddler

Veteran
2/11/22
No pictures today, a utility trip only. No epic adventures today.
The car has had recurring overheating problems which could not be fixed by local independent garages. It ended up at the main SEAT dealer in Crewe. Today I got the call to say it was ready. Having taken Mrs T to Stoke for the last week including this morning on the long suffering Honda (Stoke and back twice daily, 84 miles) I decided to use the bike/train option to go and collect it. I checked the Brompton over, ordered the ticket online, printed it out as extra insurance, then set off to the Station. It was very windy with intermittent showers and the threat of more rain. I started off on the big ring and had a following wind and a downhill most of the way. Carefully negotiating the leaf strewn path at the bottom of Weaver St I crossed over the river bridge, reached the A54 then crossed over for the short sharp climb up Station Rd. Surprisingly, I made it most of the way up it on the big ring. I got off and walked up the last 30 yards as there didn’t seem much point in doing the greasy finger downchange only to have to upchange again at the top. Maybe it’s time to put the front changer fitting project into action.

Once on Station Rd the helpful following wind assisted me again. I was passed in the opposite direction at intervals by three younger chaps on electric bikes, all with mid drive motors. There are always utility cyclists about round town but not usually electrified. I continued along the undulating road to the roundabout with the A 54, then across to the station car park. I found the ticket office closed so went straight to the footbridge and struggled over to the opposite platform. Maybe it would have been easier to fold the bike before carrying it over but I was concerned about being caught mid fold by the train arriving, then having to carry a partially folded bike over the bridge. As it transpired, there was plenty of time to fold the bike and get everything shipshape before the train arrived. When it came, I headed for the door with the bike symbol and found plenty of space. I was surprised by the height of the step from the platform to the door. Once aboard I plonked it down and used a fold down seat next to it. 8 minutes later we arrived in Crewe, courtesy of Northwest trains

Out onto the platform, into the passenger lift then through the ticket barrier. All self service, though there were station staff about. Into the entrance, unfolded the bike then along the cycle way alongside Weston road, and shortly afterwards at the car dealer’s.

Once the paperwork was sorted, the bike was folded and put in the car, then off to Stoke to pick up up the missis. A quick and easy trip. Every time I use the Brompton for multi mode trips I'm impressed how well adapted it is. About 4.5 bike miles total.

Top Bottom