Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
An overcast day and on the Defy east through Knaresborough to reach Goldsborough.
Retraced my route back to the A658/A59 roundabout and then along the former to the B6164 roundabout for the first time; a busy A road but with a wide bridleway edge to it albeit initially too full of grot. South on the B road for a snack at Little Ribston.
Looped round to head north on the bridleway adjacent to the A168 to Walshford and then east to Hunsingore. Route retraced once again to head south on the very quite A168 and just off it a sign for Ingmanthorpe.
ghi.jpg

Then to Spofforth via Kirk Deighton and North Deignton, and a snack break in the Millennium Gardens.

Up Haggs Road and pass Rudding Park; an attempt off the decent to get a run at the climb away from the traffic light controlled brige was thwarted by vehicles queuing behind another cyclist.

31.63 miles 1726ft climbed 12.8mph avg
120223 route.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Friday night: As @gavgav mentioned I accompanied him on a test ride after fettling his bike - all went well and I'm glad he's pleased with it. After we parted I thought i'd make a loop out of it and headed out towards Betton and Lyon's Lane, returning home the flat way making use of a very quiet A49.

11.3 miles at 12 mph average.

Sunday: For various reasons I hadn't had a go at my challenge ride for February yet. Yesterday looked good from the forecast and I set out to tackle a circuit anti-clockwise to Ludlow. It's been quite some time since I've done this route in this direction so I looked up some of my old ride reports first to remind myself how much distance I need to add at the start to be sure of the 100 miles - it was more than I remembered so I started off by heading to Condover, along Lyons Lane and through Betton to Weeping Cross before entering Shrewsbury along Wenlock Road and Abbey Foregate. Being early on a Sunday morning it was nice to have these latter roads almost completely to myself for a change.

I followed the riverside through The Quarry to Porthill then headed out of town via Shelton to Montford Bridge, Montford, Shrawardine, Pentre, The Royal Hill and Melverley. This was all pretty pleasant riding and I was making good progress in spite of taking it easy to save the legs for later. I had my first snack stop by the bridge on the way to Crew Green with a view that was changed since I was last here as the river has dropped substantially, down to the level it would usually be in the summer.

Moving on again I headed through Coedwy, up the climb at Prince's Oak and made my way to Halfway House (the A458 was almost empty, so easy to cross) then Westbury where a driver slightly annoyed me by doing a last moment overtake to get to the give way line first.

A right took me onto the B4386 and the headwind became noticable for the first time this trip. It wasn't strong though so I made comfortable progress. On the way to Worthen a faster rider overtook and very quickly shot off into the distance. Not long after that a club peloton of about 30 riders also overtook. Another similar sized group passed me a few miles later on the approach to Marton, this time accompanied by a couple of beeps of the horn from overtaking drivers.

I turned off for Chirbury and the tracks in the salt dust on the road suggested that these groups had gone straight on, which made me wonder where they were headed to. I didn't see any other cyclists on the way to Chirbury and the motor traffic was fairly light as well. I was starting to find my legs tiring on the hills, which was a little concerning as the route had been fairly easy going so far.

Arriving at Montgomery, a lorry driver was appreciative of me letting them go first past some parked cars on the approach to the town, then I found the first part of the climb not as steep as I remembered it. A pause for my elevenses was taken at the crossroads, where there is a bench and a phone box that has been repurposed into a tourist information kiosk. I picked up a handful of leaflets describing cycle routes in the area.

After the stop it's a steeper climb into the centre of town and the legs were a little reluctant to get going. As I left town the wind seemed to pick up and it was bitterly cold. I'd set off with thermal leggings under my trousers and a base layer plus three fleeces on top but it looked like I really could have done with a fourth fleece on. I knew that I had some climbing to do on the way to Bishop's Castle which ought to warm me up again so I wasn't too worried at this stage. This undulating road did warm me up but it was starting to feel like I had very little left in the legs. The last climb into Bishop's Castle was quite an effort and very slow, so I was glad to crest it and drop into the town.

I was stopped taking a photo when a tweed-clad passer by said "You're the kind of cyclist I like to see". My thought was; "Uh, oh, where is this going?" but it turns out that he liked my touring set up and has done long rides along the Rhine and hopes to tour in Patagonia some time in the future.

Headed out of town, the roads I was taking level out for a few miles on the way to Lydbury North then Kempton where I got off the main road (even though it wasn't busy today) for some quieter lanes. Down by the river here there were decorations appropriate for the season and after I'd taken a picture a lady approached and asked if I liked the display before explaining that she'd put them up.

Purslow was my next stop (after needing to answer a phone call en-route). I found a gateway that was nicely off the road and reasonably sheltered from the wind so I could eat my lunch in peace before carrying on. Despite this spot being sheltered I was feeling the cold again by the time I restarted and it took a little while for the legs to get going. There is a short but sharp climb on the way to Hopton Heath and it really took it out of me this time, to the extent I thought I was going to throw up at the top. I was alright after a bit of a rest but progress to Leintwardine was somewhat plodding after that, not helped by the truly awful state of the roads once I'd crossed the border into Herefordshire.

I took to the lanes to Burrington and Pipe Aston, taking it very easy as I knew that I was approaching the biggest climb of the day into the Mortimer Forest. At Pipe Aston I opened the jelly babies, probably the earliest I've needed to open them on one of my challenge rides, and they did seem to help as I plodded my way up the hill. The descent was very cold and I felt chilled to the bone by the time I dropped into Ludlow. The legs cramped as I rode along Linney and I was really wondering if I'd make it to the end. It was so tempting to make a call and see if my brother could pick me up.

I persevered though and headed out of town taking the quieter route to Stanton Lacey. The legs cramped again by Fishmore Hall and I couldn't ride through it so I paused in a gateway and decided that this was a good time for another bite to eat. The horses in the field seemed to think I had something for them and wandered off with a dejected look when I told them "I'm going now".

That rest helped for a while and I got through Culmington slowly but without issue. This road was probably the busiest of the day and quite a few of the drivers seemed to be pushing on a bit so I was glad to get off it and climb up through Seifton Batch. More cramp came near Westhope but after a rest the legs were alright for the steepest part of the climb over Wenlock Edge. It was cold again on the descent but seemed to be sheltered from the wind when I reached the bottom so I warmed up again fairly quickly on the way to Wall under Heywood.

It was approaching sunset and I just wanted to get home so, despite the legs, I opted to go the direct way back even if it meant climbing to Cardington then over Folly Bank. I was very thankful of having added the extra miles at the start as otherwise I wouldn't have had enough distance in hand for this option. The legs did cramp on the way up Folly Bank but this time I managed to keep moving. The descent was cold once again but after that I seemed to find a reserve of energy and made surprisingly good time to Longnor, Ryton, Condover and back home the flat way.

102.26 miles at 11.3 mph moving average. 11 hours and 20 minutes including all the stops though. That was the hardest ride I've done for quite some time. I'm honestly surprised the moving average was as high as that.

Nice to see lots of riders out enjoying themselves, also the birds were singing Spring songs and I heard woodpeckers tapping away in the woods at several points.

20230212_074443.jpg

Looking up Wyle Cop in Shrewsbury early in the ride.

20230212_100017_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Worthen.

20230212_103842_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The road to Montgomery.

20230212_110854_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Outside Bunner's in the centre of Montgomery.

20230212_120806.jpg

Bishop's Castle.

20230212_124226_Richtone(HDR).jpg

February decorations at Kempton.

20230212_145753_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The classic view over Ludlow.

20230212_160853.jpg

Climbing up through Seifton Batch.

20230212_162941_Richtone(HDR).jpg

At the top of the climb after Westhope.

20230212_175612_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Afterglow of sunset viewed from Ryton. I really thought I'd be finishing before dark this time.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I enjoyed riding the Spa yesterday so when son suggested a shortish spin today I jumped at the chance. It was my legs versus his legs and battery; he was kind enough to say I was fast.

We headed out to our favourite cafe at a local garden centre then took a detour into the foothills of the Blackdowns.

We saw deer, alpaca, a red kite and two dog-fighting aircraft making wonderful sounds - maybe merlin engines.

20230213_124908.jpg

20ish miles, a fair bit of uphill struggling for me, and none for son on his flashy Tern. A good time was had.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A ride around the Warren tonight.

It started off badly, down the hill to the green and I realised I’d forgotten my phone! Back I went.

Off again and in Noss my bike light changed from blue to orange….. I thought I had full charge.

In Newton Ferrers and Noss Mayo there are 3 pubs

The Dolphin (blue light)
C05E96ED-037F-4F5E-94C9-773A1D7BA1F5.jpeg

The Swan
AB8554D4-4A1B-4CB8-81D4-4BE7C5C1ACF6.jpeg

And

The Ship
ADC6BED3-058B-406B-8C35-8BA0BA8B9609.jpeg

We frequent The Ship which is naturally further away!

Anyway, it was pitch black around the cliffs. I could hear the waves crashing, but the east wind was louder.

I stopped and had a nose at my SkyView app

It’s quite good, but once you’ve looked at the screen it’s sometimes hard to pick out the star in the sky…

0391D410-F1F4-4B47-A567-478484F2421F.png

CA57EDB6-46A8-4D38-8C38-3AFD5D07C389.png

50BCDBAC-DABB-4A28-B014-BC5E54A57FE0.png

7.5 lovely miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8561857666

Attachments

• AE7172B9-CA70-4F81-9389-F47E0A3A2EF5.png
    AE7172B9-CA70-4F81-9389-F47E0A3A2EF5.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 1

cwskas

Über Member
It was quite windy today. 30 gusting to 40 mph out of the west. Fortunately moderated often by terrain or trees.

I took my Prius to the shop to have some lights replaced. A nice young man with flashing lights pointed those out to me the other night! Just a warning, for which I was grateful.

I planned to ride in the area until they were finished, but got a call after about an hour that the center brake light had to be ordered, so I set off for home on the trike. I really enjoyed the ride and took a lot of pictures.

This looks like a nice place for a nap
20230214-HomeFromHomesteadHeritage-2.jpeg

Aquilla Creek, my wife spent her teen years near here. Lots of fertile fields, specializing in melons and pecans.
20230214-HomeFromHomesteadHeritage-6.jpeg

There were two of these and a horse, but this one was the most photogenic​
20230214-HomeFromHomesteadHeritage-11.jpeg

Time for a short snooze, about 25 miles behind me
20230214-HomeFromHomesteadHeritage-19.jpeg

The Brazos River - It has been off to my left up to this point, but not visible​
20230214-HomeFromHomesteadHeritage-20.jpeg

Dinner Attire!​
20230214-HomeFromHomesteadHeritage-22.jpeg

A screen shot from a video I set up. The colors didnt turn out too well. It was much prettier in person.

20230214-HomeFromHomesteadHeritage-25.jpeg

Almost home now.

20230214-HomeFromHomesteadHeritage-26.jpeg

20230214-map.jpg

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday: I had hoped to get out for a ride with my brother but he's caught a stinker of a bug and, as well as feeling rough, has a voice like the guy who does film trailers. I decided to get out anyway and thought I'd do my longish route over Lyth Hill to Longnor, Acton Burnell, Cressage, Eaton Constantine, Walcot, Upton Magna and back.

The day was bright and sunny but still quite chilly in the wind, particularly anywhere out of the sun. The legs still felt a bit fatigued after the big ride at the weekend so I wasn't especially quick until I got the wind behind me after Longnor.

It was good to see a few other riders out enjoying the sunshine and I'm pleased to say it was an uneventful ride with all the motorists being pretty polite this time. Reaching Upton Magna I didn't fancy trudging back into the wind for most of the rest of the trip and thought it might be a bit more sheltered heading to Uffington and into Shrewsbury along the riverside. This also had the advantage of including a lot of cycle paths on the way home so as not to mix with the start of the afternoon rush.

34.2 miles at 12.8 mph average. Good to get out.

20230214_130134.jpg

The usual pause for a slurp of water at the Longnor Green crossroads.

20230214_133622.jpg

20230214_133645_Richtone(HDR).jpg

A couple of shots at Cressage Bridge.

20230214_144458_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The English Bridge in Shrewsbury

gavgav

Guru
Out for an evening ride, after getting back home from work. Set off just before 6pm and it wasn’t properly dark, which was nice, soon dropped dark though.

I initially headed to Reabrook and then up the cycle paths to Heathgates and Sundorne. For some reason the residential roads were like the M6 around there, cars coming from all directions, which isn’t the norm 🤷‍♂️

I was glad to get onto the old canal path to Uffington and quieter lanes to Upton Magna. I paused by the pub, for a slurp of water, felt like having a beer with the way life seems to be at the moment, but resisted!

I then followed Pelham Rd, to Berwick Wharf and out onto the rat run to Atcham, traffic not too bad. I crossed the old bridge and then followed the lane to Cross Houses. Along there, a large tractor and trailer came down the steep bank and so I squeezed to the side, we passed each other fine, but then I heard a clanging of metal onto tarmac and so something must have fallen off the trailer! A car was also behind me and it didn’t hit them, then I heard more clanging as presumably the tractor driver had got out of his cab to retrieve whatever it was!

The lanes to Berrington and King Street were traffic free, before I joined the road back to the A458 and home.

Enjoyed that, 16.28 miles at 12.0 mph avg

WfH today so I had a chance to nip out for an hour. What a change from this morning's frosty 1deg and yesterday's -3deg commute. Today's was my first ride of the year in short sleeves.
20230215_133221.jpg

20230215_133213.jpg

gavgav

Guru
A short loop around town, after work, with my mate Paul. He was running late and so we swapped to me riding up to his place to meet up. It was milder out tonight and I’d overlayered a bit.

After we left his, we almost got wiped out by a bus driver, who doesn’t understand rules at mini roundabouts, thankfully they eventually stopped just in time.

We descended into the Quarry and continued at a gentle chatting pace along the river towpath, to Castlefields, then joined the cycle paths to Meole Brace, where we parted ways.

Just 10.06 miles, at 10.6mph avg, but good to have a leisurely chat pace ride occasionally.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Tour of the Berwyn, forecast string winds, showers, drizzle...

Set off from Llandderfel and straight up a brutal side road to join the main pass over to the Tanat Valley. To my delight, the sun came out:

20230217_112026.jpg

The descent into the Tanat is a thing of beauty, literally and figuratively. The view is exquisite, the surface true and the gradient fast but not too fast.

20230217_113306.jpg

Lunch followed, at Llanfyllin, a fish finger buttie can't be beaten. Then I made my way to Lake Vrynwy by Welsh back lanes. More than a little steep, and the constant yoyo left my legs in need of a respite.

The lakeside road should have given that, but a gale was whipping straight down the lake off the Berwyn.

20230217_144737.jpg

I contemplated which side might give best shelter and chose North. Not too bad, but harder work than I'd hoped for.

Then the last climb of the day, over to Bala. A tough one, and not the best views, much in the plantations, but what a reward on the descent!

20230217_154354.jpg

Rolled back to Llandderfel with just over 90k and 1800m on the clock, and not a drop of rain. A bit tired now!

geocycle

Legendary Member
Commiserations to those being battered by storm Otto. For once Cumbria escaped the ravages of the winter weather and instead had a breezy day, just on the right side of dry. I chose a route out to Kendal picking my way through the Arnside and Silverdale AONB to Dallam Tower, a large country house with a VW polo parked outside the front door. You have to smile at the aristocracy! I climbed through the drumlin field and dropped down to Natland, admiring the canal bridges rising Incongruously from fields marking the site of the former waterway. The battle with Kendal’s one way system led me to the brewery, where coffee and cake were consumed. Next the big climb onto Scout scar before another break in Levens at the cyclist friendly village store. 84km with 1150 m of climbing, made it worth getting out.

Just two pictures, first of the river Bela near Dallas Tower and the view back to Kendal, no more as it was not a great day for photography.

9C176B56-AF4D-4ED8-878E-E446F4BE5D89.jpeg

FB3B505C-7684-4772-94FE-CA49ECEB7F46.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom