Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Well I’m back on the Wirral for my godmother’s funeral tomorrow. So today I set out from my mates house and picked up the Shropshire Union canal at Stoak.
In to Chester, stopping under a few bridges to avoid showers. I also stopped to watch house martins dipping into the water.

In Chester I then picked up the greenway to Mickle Trafford where I stopped at Meadow Lea for a coffee and a bacon butty.

Back all the way along the greenway, a little dalliance with Wales, then back to the Wirral via the boardwalk on Burton Marsh.

Back via Ledsham and Capenhurst, cycling routes of my youth!

Almost 33 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9828068532

IMG_6066.jpeg

IMG_6068.jpeg

IMG_6070.jpeg

IMG_6077.jpeg

a.twiddler

Veteran
Well I’m back on the Wirral for my godmother’s funeral tomorrow. So today I set out from my mates house and picked up the Shropshire Union canal at Stoak.
In to Chester, stopping under a few bridges to avoid showers. I also stopped to watch house martins dipping into the water.

In Chester I then picked up the greenway to Mickle Trafford where I stopped at Meadow Lea for a coffee and a bacon butty.

Back all the way along the greenway, a little dalliance with Wales, then back to the Wirral via the boardwalk on Burton Marsh.

Back via Ledsham and Capenhurst, cycling routes of my youth!

Almost 33 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9828068532

View attachment 706119

View attachment 706120

View attachment 706121

View attachment 706122

A cycling route after my own heart, though condolences for the sad circumstances.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My second ride from Camber Sands early this morning. Headed out towards Littlestone on Sea via Lydd and Dungeness. First up, a mile of the sea wall;
DSCF1631.JPG

.. followed by a couple of miles of cycle path away from the road from Jury's Gap to Lydd. I won't bother with that path again. The surface was extremely variable ..... sharp stones in places, cinder in others, sometimes wasting away to a narrow rut in the grass, with clumps of weeds at the side threatening to snag my pedals. In places brambles had crept the whole way across the surface, and in other places low branches forced me to duck. Nearly every side road involved a horrible kerb to negotiate and the whole 2 miles were pretty unpleasant on a road bike. After about a mile, the surface improved significantly, as the tarmac started immediately after a wooden signpost announcing that you are in Kent. At the Lydd end of the path, I noted that there was no signage to indicate its existence. Not impressed.After that, I headed out along Dengemarsh Road, hoping to get to a secret little beach location I had spotted on Street View. No such luck. A bit of a pointless 2 mile detour, as the road was closed except for works traffic just before the beach. Never mind. After retracing to Lydd, I headed out to one of my favourite places, Dungeness. The road isn't too pleasant, feeling like badly aligned concrete segments given a light spraying of tarmac. I clunked my way out to Dungeness, feeling pleased when I finally got there.
DSCF1634.JPG

I'm not quite sure how to describe Dungeness to the uninitiated. Despite it being a place of special scientific interest, it gives the impression of being entirely free of all planning rules and restrictions. Dozens of small, ramshackle cabins scattered about randomly on a bare shingle landscape covered only by sparse grasses, gorse and lots of plants that bear a striking resemblance to cabbages. No boundary fences or hedges at all and all sorts of crap piled outside the shacks .... boats, crates, shipping containers, old tractors etc. You get only a narrow, silvery strip of sea on show, but a couple of impressive lighthouses, a pub and the terminus of the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch miniature steam railway. All set in the immediate surroundings of a mahoosive Magnox/EDF nuclear power station. Doesn't sound great, does it? Yet I love the place as it feels so completely otherworldly.
DSCF1636.JPG

DSCF1638.JPG

DSCF1641.JPG

My next target was just a bit further along the coast. In various short rides that I have found to do over the years, I have been gradually working ,my way along the South coast, starting at Dover. On a previous evening ride from Folkestone the night before a Channel crossing, I had ridden out towards Dungeness, but had run out of time when I reached Littlestone on Sea. I recalled stopping level with a striking looking water tower so that I would know where to start or finish a future ride. After stopping for a selfie ...
DSCF1647.JPG

... I reached the familiar looking tower. That means I've now covered the coast from Dover to Hastings.
DSCF1648.JPG

I headed back to Camber via an inland route, on rather ordinary roads through New Romney and Lydd. In Lydd, I stopped to get a picture of a view of the church that my wife had commented on yesterday.
DSCF1650.JPG

From Lydd, I avoided the cycle path (that I moaned about above) and took the road instead. Finished up back on top of the sea wall again as I arrived back in Camber Sands.
DSCF1653.JPG

Another beautiful sunny day after a hazy start. Always lifts your spirits to see the sea looking so blue. Ended up doing 32 miles today. After a dodgy start, it turned into quite a nice little ride after all. Enjoying the Kent and Sussex coasts. Taking a day off tomorrow to get in a morning's sightseeing in Rye with Mrs D before the rain comes. More to come later in the week.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
My second ride from Camber Sands early this morning. Headed out towards Littlestone on Sea via Lydd and Dungeness. First up, a mile of the sea wall;
View attachment 706136
.. followed by a couple of miles of cycle path away from the road from Jury's Gap to Lydd. I won't bother with that path again. The surface was extremely variable ..... sharp stones in places, cinder in others, sometimes wasting away to a narrow rut in the grass, with clumps of weeds at the side threatening to snag my pedals. In places brambles had crept the whole way across the surface, and in other places low branches forced me to duck. Nearly every side road involved a horrible kerb to negotiate and the whole 2 miles were pretty unpleasant on a road bike. After about a mile, the surface improved significantly, as the tarmac started immediately after a wooden signpost announcing that you are in Kent. At the Lydd end of the path, I noted that there was no signage to indicate its existence. Not impressed.After that, I headed out along Dengemarsh Road, hoping to get to a secret little beach location I had spotted on Street View. No such luck. A bit of a pointless 2 mile detour, as the road was closed except for works traffic just before the beach. Never mind. After retracing to Lydd, I headed out to one of my favourite places, Dungeness. The road isn't too pleasant, feeling like badly aligned concrete segments given a light spraying of tarmac. I clunked my way out to Dungeness, feeling pleased when I finally got there.
View attachment 706137
I'm not quite sure how to describe Dungeness to the uninitiated. Despite it being a place of special scientific interest, it gives the impression of being entirely free of all planning rules and restrictions. Dozens of small, ramshackle cabins scattered about randomly on a bare shingle landscape covered only by sparse grasses, gorse and lots of plants that bear a striking resemblance to cabbages. No boundary fences or hedges at all and all sorts of crap piled outside the shacks .... boats, crates, shipping containers, old tractors etc. You get only a narrow, silvery strip of sea on show, but a couple of impressive lighthouses, a pub and the terminus of the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch miniature steam railway. All set in the immediate surroundings of a mahoosive Magnox/EDF nuclear power station. Doesn't sound great, does it? Yet I love the place as it feels so completely otherworldly.
View attachment 706138

View attachment 706139

View attachment 706140
My next target was just a bit further along the coast. In various short rides that I have found to do over the years, I have been gradually working ,my way along the South coast, starting at Dover. On a previous evening ride from Folkestone the night before a Channel crossing, I had ridden out towards Dungeness, but had run out of time when I reached Littlestone on Sea. I recalled stopping level with a striking looking water tower so that I would know where to start or finish a future ride. After stopping for a selfie ...
View attachment 706142
... I reached the familiar looking tower. That means I've now covered the coast from Dover to Hastings.
View attachment 706143
I headed back to Camber via an inland route, on rather ordinary roads through New Romney and Lydd. In Lydd, I stopped to get a picture of a view of the church that my wife had commented on yesterday.
View attachment 706144
From Lydd, I avoided the cycle path (that I moaned about above) and took the road instead. Finished up back on top of the sea wall again as I arrived back in Camber Sands.
View attachment 706145
Another beautiful sunny day after a hazy start. Always lifts your spirits to see the sea looking so blue. Ended up doing 32 miles today. After a dodgy start, it turned into quite a nice little ride after all. Enjoying the Kent and Sussex coasts. Taking a day off tomorrow to get in a morning's sightseeing in Rye with Mrs D before the rain comes. More to come later in the week.

Nice one, i was up the lighthouse earlier in the month, great views of the Magnox!
Love your descriptions of Dungeness.

Haven't cycled the area since last year but would like to go back. Maybe visit the huge sound mirrors in Lydd.
1000005500.png

1000004962.jpg

Last edited:

Fredo76

Über Member
My ride today was eventful. I rode to the post office to pick up a package, a record in a sturdy box that I bungeed to the left side of the rear rack. About three miles from home, I had a sudden front flat, and managed to wobble to a stop but fell over at the very end. Somehow, I broke my fall enough to roll a little from one shoulder to the other, without even touching my helmet. I was back up before anyone saw me, dusted off, and began walking my bike home, without a scratch. Luckily I was wearing my stealth shoes, with the recessed cleats, and even more luckily, after a couple of blocks, I was offered a lift home, and accepted.

Several hours later, my luck ran down, and I pulled a muscle in my lower back on the hip side that I landed on. Since I have artificial hips, I should probably get an x-ray. Haven't re-pulled it yet, save for a couple twinges, but I'm pretty gimpy tonight.

Hopefully I will heal up before my brother visits. Glad it wasn't worse. In my youth, I once woke up in a stranger's car after a similar incident.

Stay safe, y'all.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
A fabulous ride after lunch in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales. Starting from Middleham in Wensleydale, up and over Grinton Moor into Swaledale following the River Swale to Richmond and back to Middleham via Patrick Brompton, Newton Le Willows & East Witton in Coverdale.
35.81 miles with an average of 14 mph.
IMG_8485.jpeg

IMG_8500.jpeg

IMG_8504.jpeg

IMG_8511.jpeg

IMG_8515.jpeg

IMG_8527.jpeg

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another early morning ride out from Camber Sands. Took the cycle path to the edge of Rye, where I crossed the Rother. The tide was out.
DSCF1657.JPG

I got out of town as quickly as possible before the traffic started, heading out to Appledore along the military road which runs along the flat land between the Royal Military Canal and the hills of the Weald. Herons kept flying up out of the drainage ditch to my left. My presence alarmed them as there was precious little other traffic around at that time. I detoured slightly into Appledore, just to see what it was like. Quite a pretty little village.
DSCF1659.JPG

From there, I crossed the Royal Military Canal and headed off towards Romney Marsh.
DSCF1660.JPG

DSCF1661.JPG

DSCF1662.JPG

Hardly saw another car while picking my way through Ivybridge, Old Romney and Lydd apart from when I had to cross a busy A road.
Taking on board @lazybloke 's suggestion above, I carried on out to Lydd on Sea to take a look at the big concrete sound mirrors ... Britain's 1920s early warning and direction finding technology still standing behind a row of bungalows by the seaside near Dungeness. Gaining access required pushing my bike through ankle-deep shingle for 100yds or so, and even then I only really got a glimpse, which I was glad to see as I'm fascinated by that sort of thing. In this shot, you can just see the smaller dish poking out above a tree on the right side as well as the much larger curved sound reflecting wall to the left.
DSCF1666.JPG

I was distracted by the blast of a whistle from one of the miniature steam engines of the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway. There was a level crossing just half a mile away, and I reckoned if I went hell for leather I might just catch sight of the train before it disappeared off towards Dungeness. Sprinting while pushing a bike through ankle deep shingle is even harder than walking through it, but once I got back on to a little residential road I was able to get a move on. Just in time, and without a moment to lose, I took one last corner and skidded to a halt, reaching for my camera. No time to even use the zoom, I just had to take an instant shot. You can judge for yourselves whether this was an anti-climax. I'll just say that, while it is always nice to see a working steam engine, never in my life have I ever seen a level crossing close for a smaller one!
DSCF1667.JPG

Made it back to Camber with my computer showing 38.5 miles. Another really enjoyable holiday exploration ride.While riding back along the top of the sea wall, I was thrilled to get a couple of sightings of an inquisitive seal who seemed just as interested in me. I don't know how frequent seal sightings are around here, but I always feel privileged when I spot one. Made my day.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A ride on the way back to Devon that saw me visit my childhood.

I parked in Llanarmon DC and rode up the valley to the wayfarer memorial.

All of my childhood holidays were spent at Tuhwntirafon farm in the Berwyn mountains.

I could see the hill where we scattered my mums ashes.

Once off the tarmac it’s a decent climb over slippery, smooth and flat stones.

There were a few large puddles around, one deep enough to get my feet wet!

I saw buzzards, kestrel, wheatear, raven and meadow pipits . I also a weasel, he saw me and scarpered!

I went up to the wayfarer memorial and turned back to the van, and Devon.

At one of the puddles I took the hard right line….. my front wheel sank and I had to get both feet down quickly! I was laughing out loud, knee deep in dirty water!

A quick visit to the farm and back to the van.

Only 10 miles, but beautiful!

https://www.strava.com/activities/9841668061

IMG_6103.jpeg

IMG_6104.jpeg

IMG_6106.jpeg

IMG_6107.jpeg

IMG_6108.jpeg

IMG_6109.jpeg

IMG_6110.jpeg

IMG_6111.jpeg

IMG_6113.jpeg

IMG_6117.jpeg

Last edited:

lazybloke

Looks like another great day, @Donger.

At risk of seeming obsessed with sound mirrors, here's one (apparently in Hythe) with an operator. The microphone boom was on two calibrated scales, so that the azimuth and elevation angles from two mirrors could be used to triangulate sound sources. Built in the WWI era of slow planes and Zeppelins, they gave a good early warnings of craft taking off as far as away as Belgium!

1694632210045.png

By the start of WWII, faster planes (approx Mach 0.5) meant very little warning so mirrors must have been on their way out even before radar made them obsolete.

I visited Fan Bay deep shelter and artillery battery a couple of weekends ago. The shelter is 25 metres below the surface, deep behind the White Cliffs of Dover. If you do the National Trust tour of the tunnels, they take you out onto the cliff face, next to two sound mirrors, where you can volunteer to stand in the focal point and hear your own echo; a very odd experience!
1694632863580.png

1694635350086.png

Jameshow

Veteran
View attachment 706136
View attachment 706137
View attachment 706138

View attachment 706139

View attachment 706140
View attachment 706142
View attachment 706143
View attachment 706144
View attachment 706145

Try Jaywick next time!🤣

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Nipped out late this afternoon for one final little leg spinner before I had to start packing the car for the end of our holiday. Just took the cycle path into Rye and nipped up to the old town gate and the viewpoint beyond.
311.Old town  gate, Rye.JPG

312..JPG

313..JPG

Then I scooted back through and past Camber beside the marshes and then along the top of the sea wall as far as the old coastguard cottages at Jury's Gap.
314.Marshes near Camber.JPG

316..JPG

317.Coastguard cottages, Jury's Gap.JPG

I hung around for a moment, savouring a last look at the sea in the fading light,
318..JPG

then called it a day and rode back to the house. Just 11.1 miles tonight, but a lovely way to finish a holiday. That's all folks. Over and out.
319.Goodbye from Camber.JPG

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I wasn't feeling like a big ride today, but I had a rare few hours free this afternoon so decided to head out on a bimble. Whilst the temperatures have dropped from the 30 plus it was last week, it's still a pleasant 23 degrees out there today. It was just lovely to head out into the forest and spend some relaxing time before the Autumn really kicks in.

IMG_20230915_145106113.jpg

We had some big thunderstorms the other day and there are still large puddles on the forest floor, I spotted a couple of small frogs taking full advantage.

IMG_20230915_145453294.jpg

The ride then took me West through the forest, on small trails winding beneath the canopy and larger sandy ways, before crossing the river at the old hydro plant. I then heading back East towards home on gravel fire roads.

IMG_20230915_150403796.jpg

IMG_20230915_153004261.jpg

All the while the sun was shining and not a cloud to be seen, it's been a lovely day to just kick back, take it easy and revel in one of the last summer days.

IMG_20230915_154945881.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What an absolute glorious day for cycling. Out of the door nice and early to get September's Imperial Century Ride done and dusted.
Fantastic, warm and sunny weather made for fabulous riding. Even got some sunburn.
Sometimes cycling just really doesn't get better.
So, scores on the doors.
101 miles for the day.
Imperial century ride #331
Imperial century month #154 in a row
I've called this the Oasts & Spitfires ride. Seeing lots of the former and 2 of the latter today. Unfortunately no pictures of those lovely old warbirds.

20230916_083026.jpg

20230916_094432.jpg

20230916_134014.jpg

Last edited:

lazybloke

I opened a box of new SPD pedals last night, and rather stupidly engaged a shoe into a pedal to demonstrate to my son how they work.

And then I demonstrated being too weak to disengage it, so had to go outside (at gone midnight) to fit the pedals to the bike so I could insert foot and use leg strength to disengage. The shoe was facing the wrong way, so that was weird!

Anyway, new pedals fitted. And then loosened off how I like them, and up to bed with an alarm set.

Was up, fed and ready to go early this morning.
The forecast had optimistically predicted 12 C but it was only 8, so I had to pull on bib tights and a softshell jacket before heading out in autumnal mists before sunrise.

Had planned my route the night before on cycle.travel, and it was a delightful set of small & quiet lanes heading south, with just a few short section of A road here and there. I'd be heading all the way to Climping on the south coast, and would dip my feet in the sea. I didn't have enough time to ride back, so I'd catch a train home.

First I had to climb out of the Thames bowl (London bowel) and pass over the North Downs. Almost immediately it felt like I would struggle to maintain a decent speed, and the hills were really hard work. If felt ever such a long time to reach Cranleigh, then Wisborough Green, Byworth, Houghton, <hideous climb of South Downs> before rolling into Arundel. Stopped there to browse a farmers' market.

Felt pretty tired, and traffic was mounting. It was A road the last few miles to the coast, and looked busy, so I headed for the train home with a cheese/ham croissant and a very large latte.
1000005531.jpg

Early start.

1000005543.jpg

Cresting the North Downs and looking back towards London(ish).

1000005551.jpg

Always new there was a 2nd ford at Shere but this was my 1st visit.

1000005562.jpg

My shadow looks like Dilbert!

1000005578.jpg

Arundel, at last.

1000005581.jpg

Everything i might need, right on hand!

Then a rather shorter ride home for a total distance of 49 miles in a cumulative time of about 3 hrs 30 mins.

Top Bottom