Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I needed to burn 200 calories this afternoon, so got the hybrid out and climbed up the hill near me over the A34 and back, about 4.5 miles, but it was just enough to get me over the target. ( I’d done a Peloton ride and indoor row earlier, but you don’t want to know about that).

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Blimey @wafter, what's this I see? an MTB with a 1x chainset no less. Come on you need to tell us more about this new steed, that looks a nice bike why don't you pop a pick or two into this thread:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/show-us-your-mtb.222432/page-35

lol - yeah; I know.. I'm a traitor to the cause :tongue:

In my defence I'd have bought a double if it was available, but off-the-shelf MTBs seem to be exclusively 1x now. Also while I stand by my criticisms of 1x as a system, I've always accepted that it's far better suited to MTBs than anything else. Gravel? Questionable. Road? GTFO.

Maybe I'll chuck some images up once I've had a chance to get some decent ones.. unlike my others I don't think this warrants its own thread as I can't see me doing a lot to it (he states confidently / optimistically) - needs a mount for the GPS, bottle cage, frame protection, fork setting up then it'll probably be done :smile:

2024_01_11_Commute_01.jpg

Riding along the European cycleway from Elzach (D) -Ville (Fr), at least the bit between Lidl and my village.

2024_01_11_Commute_02.jpg

Ballsy too it would seem on that compacted snow..

I've found that Marathon Tour Plus tyres are surprisingly effective on snow, and indeed anything but sheet ice. I've got a set of ice spikes but didn't feel the need to change them yet.

Of course now I've written that, I'll pancake on a perfectly innocuous looking bit or road on the way to work; just you wait and see...

a.twiddler

Veteran
11/1/24
Paradise Lost

I had it in mind to take a trip through the lanes to take a photo of the Linear with the road sign at Paradise Lane, which I’d passed many times at the point where the lane meets the B5074, but never by bicycle so far.

I already had my thermal underwear on as it’s been ‘orrible in the low temperatures and keen wind so far this week but today it’s felt relatively warmer, or less cold, at least. So on top of those I just wore the usual stuff I wear for cycling, and everything else, plus my summer motorcycling gloves as they have a hi viz panel on the back, useful for hand signals on this rather dull, cloudy day. I didn’t think I’d be needing them until next year as I put them away, singing, “farewell, my summer glove, farewell” in the style of Michael Jackson.

So, out through the back gate, climb on, make adjustments, and launch. The wind was not noticeably cold as I got going, making reasonable progress to Darnhall Bridge where I followed a car down the dip to the red traffic light which turned green letting me get up speed for the other side.

As I went up the hill a mountain biker appeared from a turning on the left. He wasn’t pedalling very fast but slowly pulled away from me until the road levelled when I matched his speed. I suspected that he was taking it easy on an ebike as he gradually disappeared as the road rose again slightly.

I trundled on steadily towards Wettenhall until I came to a dip, got up some momentum and up the other side then continued rolling until I came to a left turn onto Minshull Road. After another mile or so the turning to Woodgreen Lane appeared. Little traffic here, the lane continued dead straight into the distance. Eventually I came to a left turn at 90 degrees which went dead straight for some distance before turning right at 90 degrees and continuing in a straight line again.

“Another day in paradise” with Phil Collins played briefly in my head before “stranger in paradise” (various artists). I had the random thought that the tune was pinched from Borodin’s Polovotsian Dances in “Prince Igor”. I hummed along to it, though coming from me, it sounded more like a strangler in paradise. A quiet lane, lounging along in the garden chair on wheels, I was away with the fairies for a bit until a distant oncoming car brought me back down to earth.

I finally came to where the lane made a T junction with the B5074. I looked to the right where I expected to see the sign “Paradise Lane”. Mysteriously, it was no longer there. In the absence of a post to lean on I laid the bike down and walked about looking for clues. Had some motorist crashed into it? Had someone pinched it? There were a couple of displaced posts in the undergrowth by the hedge of a house at the junction but no sign of the sign. My original plan after photographing the sign and bike was to have turned right towards Church Minshull as on the long downhill before the village I might have got a good max speed as a target to improve on for this year. I would have then climbed the modest hill beyond the village and turned into the other end of Minshull Lane.

I picked up the bike and as I did so, someone on a bike with a laden trailer passed the end of the lane and I raised a hand. “Are you all right?” he called. “Fine thanks” I replied as I got going back down the lane. I hoped to find another sign on the way back. However, I had to content myself with a sign for Paradise Farm at the first right angle bend.
P1020915.JPG

P1020914.JPG

Further along someone with a literary bent had named their newish house Milton Lodge. At the next right angle bend was Paradise Green Farm. From this point according to the map it was Woodgreen Lane which was dead straight until it met Minshull Lane.

I turned right here back towards Wettenhall, left at a T junction, briefly into Cholmondeston then right into Calveley Green Lane. This was surprisingly hard going, gradually climbing to a junction with Calveley Hall Lane where I turned right and right again into Long Lane. According to Bikehike the highest point of the ride was about here. Certainly after a slight rise the road trended downhill and I pedalled gently in high gear or freewheeled until I had to get some speed up to get through the dip beyond St David’s Church. I stopped here to put my flashing lights on as the afternoon was becoming gloomy. Left onto Winsford Lane, rushing another dip and climb then steady progress into a light headwind that had sprung up.

Soon I was rolling downhill towards Darnhall bridge. A car overtook me and stopped at a red light then got going again. I rushed the dip then ground up the last few yards before gradually increasing speed over the summit. As I approached my back gate I noticed I was a little short of 19 miles so I carried on then turned round a little further on and returned to my gate. Only 19 miles but I felt as if I’d gone further. Perhaps the low temperature had taken its toll, though I didn’t feel cold when I went in.

Distance 19.15 miles Max Speed 24.6 miles. Average 8.1mph. According to Garmin.

Ascent 349 ft. According to Bikehike.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just got a call from the cafe: they were out of schnitzel again, could I go to the butcher and pick up an order?

Only in Germany.

There aren't many jobs where I could go for a bike ride and get paid for it. As it's a bit chilly, they even think I'm doing them a favour...
That’s true, but I do. I get to take my Brompton out and about when I’m ferrying mini buses to various maintenance places. And twice a month myself and others take visually impaired people tandem cycling. They actually give money to do it too.

IMG_4656.jpeg

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
An opportunity for ride emerged today and with another very cold spell forecast from tomorrow, I took it. Set off in damp cold toward Burton in Kendal and then a longish climb up Farleton fell. The views up there are usually great but today I rode well into the clouds. Lovely single track gated roads and precious few cars made up for the damp drizzle. From there I cut across country to Sedgwick and the Kent valley. I crossed the river where it had cut a gorge through the limestone and made my way to Levens. My plan was to use the excellent cafe at Levens Hall or at least the attached bakery but both were closed. This was irritating as I’d passed several other good options but fortunately Arnside was a useful back up. The bakery there was more limited than usual but managed to purchase a pasty and tray bake which I ate watching the high tide on the Kent estuary. Other than the disconcerting site of sewage discharge, thanks UU, the view is always stunning. I realised that sticking to the Morecambe Bay coast would be interesting as the falling tide attracts birds. Lots of lapwing and oyster catchers kept me entertaine. Fields were full of grazing Greylag, pink Foot and Canada Geese, while a marsh harrier buzzed me near Leighton Moss RSPB reserve. I was enjoying the view so continued down the stunning promenade in Morecambe. 87 km with 800 m of climbing.

pictures of Farleton fell from Lancaster canal, Levens Hall and view across Morecambe Bay.

IMG_0413.jpeg

IMG_0415.jpeg

IMG_0420.jpeg

On the last leg of my commute the Ultegra ratchet decided to seize and I was stuck in the smallest gear (biggest cog). My Saturday ride at this time of year is on that bike. Rather than sorting it though I decided that prepping my good bike would be faster (it probably wasn’t but I wanted to ride it). I took out the carbon rim braked wheels and put aluminium wheels in. That necessitated, transferring the cassette, swapping the brake blocks, and filling up the sealant. I'd forgotten how much of a dream that bike is to ride. When I got back I swapped that lever out on the commuter, and changed the rear brake pads whilst I was at it.

It was supposed to grey over, so I thought I'd grab a pic before it did, but it didn’t
:sun_with_face:

One of my mates:
IMG-20240113-WA0000.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Fleeting blue skies and sun pushed me over the edge into a utilty run to the next village on the Fuji; extended into a circular route to make the most of it and heading out via the bottle bank for evidence disposal part two..

The blue skies didn't last for long but thankfully the rain had the decency to hold off until I was home (looks pretty grim out there now, tbh). It was chilly but with a distinct, optimistic tinge of spring in the air - which really lifted my spirits.

My mental health's been all over the place recently but I feel really good for just getting out - I'm so grateful for the unique, enormously beneficial escape these rides provide :smile:

Just over 14 miles and 600ft at 13.9mph and 133bpm for 622kcal burned.. which probably just about offsets the discounted Co-op sandwich and bottle of Asahi I've just consumed..

chriswoody

Legendary Member
After the floods came the deep freeze, a week of temperatures around -10. Now it's a relatively balmy 3 degrees and I decided to take out my gravel bike for a blast in the forest. Heading North I head of into the damp forest, the sky grey and overcast, threatening to rain at any moment.

IMG_20240114_115845095_HDR.jpg

The forest floor is muddy and wet making the going hard work, whilst some sections are firm enough, others are littered with potholes. Despite two days now of plus temperatures there are plenty of puddles still frozen solid providing interesting obstacles for the unwary.

IMG_20240114_120823950.jpg

I soon reach more firmer gravel roads, but any hope of faster progress is soon dashed, the surface is wet and gloopy, it feels like riding through treacle. I dream of dry summer conditions as I head deeper into the forest over trails and paths that I've traversered many times but still love to watch the changing of the seasons.

IMG_20240114_123656698_HDR.jpg

After 20 odd kilometres I emerge from the forest at my most northerly point. I'm at Angleteichsbeck and today is quiet, just one family walking it's shores. Half of the lake is still frozen and I pause a while eating some lunch before heading off.

IMG_20240114_125752393.jpg

I head cross country and up to a small high point before joining a gravel road heading east. Sadly the surface is really sticky and sucking at my tires, it's real hard work. A few kilometres on I hit a real rough patch of chewed up ground, for a while the bike is all over the place as I scrabble for grip on the mud and ice. It's all great fun though and part of the real mixed surface riding out here. Before much longer I'm in the hamlet of Reberlahh and a quick break under the sprawling Oak. Then were back onto gravel roads and it's not far before I see the first evidence of the extensive forestry work that's been going on here.

IMG_20240114_134415061_HDR.jpg

Thousands of logs waiting collection to be processed into paper goods, just a short while further on there is a section that's a real mudbath where the forestry workers have chewed up the ground. Progress continues to be slow on the broken muddy ground, where in summer there is normally firm gravel roads.

Finally I break through and onto firmer roads for the last kilometres home. However, the lack of tree cover exposes me to the full force of the wind and the heavy drizzle.

IMG_20240114_142752958.jpg

I'm looking forward to a hot coffee now as the side of my face is feeling numbed from the wind and rain, the thermometer is reading 2.2 degrees and it's with relief as the last kilometres passes under my wheels and we ride into my garden. Overall 46 tough kilometers on some really demanding surfaces.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Another solo drag to Cobwebs in Abbots Bromley ( stock google photo )
Cars were frosty at the start so i left it a bit later going out of the door although i was in full winter gear as it was still cold till the sun got high enough and the roads had frozen puddles in places along with greasy coating that meant i had to be careful particularly on bends coated with mud from farmers , had the rear wheel slip a few times on hills .
Not feeling it due to weather and the fact i had a beer last night so it was a drag !
After 27 miles i stopped to top up with a nibble even though the cafe was at 35 miles i was ready , had 2 cakes at the cafe to bolster me for the ride home.I had to detour when i got back as although i had planned a route to give me a metric century for some reason i was going to be 3-4 miles short ( very odd )
As i got back it clouded over and light rain started and just now it was sleeting
total of 62.4 miles
1705248809676.png

1705248907768.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom